PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the price of shoes....

carole
03-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Now you may all be thinking what a weird subject to start a thread about, but i just feel the price of a pair of decent,comfortable shoes are just way over the top in my country.

Yes we have bargain shoe warehouse's,but most of the time, one the shoes don't wear well, and two they are not very comfortable.

I have problems with my feet, so i need really comfortable shoes, and i really just cannot afford them, a decent pair will cost at least $139 and more,yes these are nice shoes, look good, wear well, but most of all are comfortable.

My dear mother bought my last pair for me a lovely white and silver slip on pair of Skechers shoes,and they are great.

Anyhow just wondered what you think, can you get really comfortable, nice looking shoes at a good price where you live?

Karen
03-09-2009, 02:43 PM
My feet are weird, so I have to just try on shoes until I find a comfortable pair. I can usually find something for around $30-$45 dollars, and they last a few years. Often I can get them cheaper, which is great. Still, if I could buy a pair of shoes that would last 10 years, I'd gladly pay extra, so as to be able to avoid shoe shopping for that long!

One good place I shop is DSW - they have such a wide variety, that I can usually find something comfortable if I take long enough and try on enough pairs!

http://dsw.com - though I could NEVER buy shoes online, I NEED to try them on, to see if both my feet and my orthotics fit in comfortably!

carole
03-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Oh i envy you, if only i could find a pair that were comfortable that cheap,my feet even hurt after a few hours walking in the good shoes, but then my fellow fibromites will understand where i am coming from on this.

I don't even look for pretty shoes that much anymore, i cannot wear heels of any kind, unless very low or wedge type,but luckily in the sneaker type shoe, our shop overlander sells some really pretty ones, i love the skechers that i have now, they are pretty especially for a sneaker type shoe, they have a very dilute silver sparkle in them, i love sparkly things.,but they are just too expensive for me, i can really only afford one pair every winter, i would like at least two or three.:(

Karen
03-09-2009, 03:08 PM
If you have a style of Skechers you love, and can find it online, I bet they'd be much cheaper for me (skechers.com wouldn't even let me choose Australia or New Zealand on the map) but maybe someone stateside could get them and mail them to you for much cheaper!

Sirrahsim
03-09-2009, 03:36 PM
I live in skechers:love: I can usually find my skechers for under $40 or so.

RICHARD
03-09-2009, 04:12 PM
The secret to a good shoe is the sole/padding.

When I go shopping for shoes I buy a new pair of liners/supports and take them along.

I swear by SPENCO liners- The real heavy duty pair are the best-I haven't bought a pair in years,so I do not know what they cost now, but they are worth the money and if the shoes you look at have removeable insoles, better! Just swap them out and you are all set.

The SPENCO insoles with the arch support will kill you feet for the first few days but stick with them, it's only your foot getting stretched out over the support. Try them.

I usually buy HiTec hiking shoes when they go on sale at our local sporting goods store. THey do a shoe blowout every month or so, so I have to watch out for the sale flyers!

Daisy and Delilah
03-09-2009, 04:44 PM
I'm so glad you brought this up, Carole.

It seems to me that shoes are outrageous as well. Mine are about $75. That's not nearly as much as your's. Mine last for quite awhile so it's not bad. If I bought the ones I really should be wearing, they would run over $200.

I'm also glad to see that we're talking about shoes that are good for our feet. Has anyone noticed the trend in women on tv these days? Six inch spikes. These women will pay unbelievably high prices some day for the shoes they're going to need. I think they already pay high prices as it is.

Is it just me or do women that are wearing these heals readily pay in the $300-$400's for them?

Seriously, I would love to hear from someone that wears heals that high and how costly they are.
I know there are low priced shoes and higher priced shoes but I would hope they wouldn't want a heal snapping off while they're walking.:eek:

Karen
03-09-2009, 04:52 PM
I am not nearly coordinated enough to wear the spike heels, and even with my orthotic, tend to roll my foot to the outside a little. Besides, the slope in any heels over an inch or so makes my orthotics slide forward, and that just plain HURTS!

I often see the VERY high heels in the bargain bins at DSW, maybe other women can't walk in them either?

carole
03-09-2009, 05:05 PM
my days of wearing high heels are well and truly over, however in my young days i too wore the ridiculous shoes that looked great but hurt like hell,and no that is not why i have problems with my feet now.

Although it is a nice idea karen to ask someone to get me some overseas, with the low NZ dollar it just would not work out really,I am afraid i will have to stick to paying the higher price i guess.
$40 american is about $81 NZ, but with postage etc probably be not much cheaper in the long run, you can pick skechers up at sale for around $99 but not much less here.

AllAmericanPUP
03-09-2009, 06:08 PM
I pay anywhere from $30-$80 for a pair of DC's...i won't pay more than $80 for shoes...i like shoes but not that much!

Marigold2
03-09-2009, 07:20 PM
I love wearing all kind of cute shoes, but at my age and with bad knees I need to buy a good pair, not cheap. Naturalizer is a good bet, smart, sexy, sassy and stylish. Cheap shoes I think hurt everyone's feet.

caseysmom
03-09-2009, 09:08 PM
I love wearing all kind of cute shoes, but at my age and with bad knees I need to buy a good pair, not cheap. Naturalizer is a good bet, smart, sexy, sassy and stylish. Cheap shoes I think hurt everyone's feet.

I haven't seen a sexy pair of naturalizerers...ever!

cassiesmom
03-09-2009, 09:33 PM
I think the price of shoes is... high. Since I broke my ankle last fall I had to buy 2 new pairs of shoes for work. One blue and one black. I got the black ones at the Naturalizer store at the mall, and the blue ones (Propét) on zappos.com because I needed a size and width that the stores don't often carry.

Suki Wingy
03-09-2009, 11:04 PM
I have two types of shoes- work/riding and everyday. My work ones cost a lot. I am going to have to buy some field boots, and to find some that fit my leg right I think I'll have to go at least $300. Customs would be great but they start at about $600 and that's way too much unless I'm competing every weekend or something.
Everyday shoes I like converse. Easier to fit me (no womens or mens, all unisex) and colorful. I also love my nike hiking boots I bought basically new without tags in a consignment store for $15.

Marigold2
03-10-2009, 07:36 AM

Well ya gotta know how to work it girl.

jennielynn1970
03-10-2009, 09:10 AM

Ditto.

sexy and sassy are not words I would ever use to describe that brand, lol!

cassiesmom
03-10-2009, 10:35 AM
found these on their home page - look sassy to me
http://www.naturalizer.com/App_Themes/Default/2009/home/03-03/product.jpg

IRescue452
03-10-2009, 11:14 AM
You guys are nuts. I've never paid over $30 for a pair of shoes. I'm wearing my steel-toed work shoes right now and they run me about $25 every two years. They're the longest lasting shoes I own. They're great for hiking too which I do a lot of. Then of course I have my bright green US Polo shoes that were $14.99 at Burlington Coat Factory. All shoes are cheap there. My Nevados hiking boots, $20. As far as fancy heels and such, mine have all come off the clearance racks at bridal stores. You'd be surprised what I can find for under $25.

jennielynn1970
03-10-2009, 11:38 AM

THOSE are Naturalizer shoes??? Wow. I'm shocked. They are really cute!

Karen
03-10-2009, 11:56 AM
You guys are nuts. I've never paid over $30 for a pair of shoes. I'm wearing my steel-toed work shoes right now and they run me about $25 every two years. They're the longest lasting shoes I own. They're great for hiking too which I do a lot of. Then of course I have my bright green US Polo shoes that were $14.99 at Burlington Coat Factory. All shoes are cheap there. My Nevados hiking boots, $20. As far as fancy heels and such, mine have all come off the clearance racks at bridal stores. You'd be surprised what I can find for under $25.

Not nuts - when I can, I pay less than $30, but I have to pay more, sometimes, to get shoes that fit my feet and don't hurt. Boots like workboots can be problematic, because if I get them wide enough to fit the front of my foot, the back of the boot is so loose my heel can wobble around inside, and I get blisters. I only wear my workboots for shoveling snow, and for snowy days, and take them off as soon as I get where I need to be. My favorite are my $3 sneakers, when I can get them - hot pink! But not every outfit goes well with hot pink sneakers!

carole
03-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Count yourself lucky you can wear cheap shoes, i simply cannot,and i cannot afford to buy expensive ones either, so i end up getting one pair,and that is it ,unless my kind mother buys me a pair, which she often does, bless her.

Actually i think good shoes are quite important really for everyone, supporting your arches,not squishing your toes etc,helps your posture and any problems you may have as you get older, regarding your back etc.

I used to be a non believer in buying Nikes etc, and thought the cheaper brands were just as good until i actually bought a pair and wore them, their is no comparison really,and that was before i had problems with my feet.

Anyhow just my opinion.

Marigold2
03-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Exactly, add a semi short skirt, black some fishnet stocking, some funky jewerly and you are good to go.

Marigold2
03-10-2009, 08:14 PM
http://www.naturalizer.com/Shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?p=EC0216969&pg=3004804

These are also really cute. Years ago I took ballroom dancing these were the one type of shoe I could buy, put on that night and dance for 5 or 6 hours in comfort. I had a ton of them in different colors and syles.
After the lessons a group of us would go out to different nightclubs and just dance. I miss those times.

kitten645
03-10-2009, 09:12 PM
I had to laugh...black fishnets with open toed shoes? My toe goes right thru fishnets WITH a toe. I can imagine walking around with my toe poking out of my tights! :D

I ran a shoe dept at Macy's for a few years so I know from shoes! It's a super personal thing. You got to try them all to see what works for you. Since I got to the "deals" first, I got to buy super expensive shoes and everything on down. I found I'm pretty hard on my shoes so the expensive ones lasted just as long as the cheapies. When I find ones I truly adore (Mia Hepburn Skimmers), I buy several pairs even though they are pricey.
I have a pair of Coach ones I got with a gift card I was given for my bday. They hurt like holy heck but I wear them if I know I'll be sitting alot! :D

Sometimes you gotta suffer for fashion! :p

Claudia

caseysmom
03-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Fishnet stockings? Does anyone really wear those? Sorry I would feel like a hooker.

Queen of Poop
03-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Shoes in Canada cost a small fortune. And they NEVER have my size (5)!!!! Any time I travel to the States I try to come home with 2-3 pairs because they are so much less expensive than here and I can almost always find what I want in a size 5. I've started ordering shoes online because I'm so frustrated with shoe shopping here.

carole
03-11-2009, 05:10 PM
We have online shops that cater for small feet, neat petite and also for wider feet twinkletoes, of course they are all expensive.

Oh yes i have suffered for fashion in my young days too, those days are over sadly, now it is all comfort all the way lol.

jennielynn1970
03-11-2009, 08:09 PM
I ran a shoe dept at Macy's for a few years so I know from shoes!

Sometimes you gotta suffer for fashion! :p

Claudia

Now THAT would have been an awesome job!! MACYS and SHOES.... ahhhhhhhhh!!! I would have been broke, of course, and the shoe dept. is always right next to the handbags, so wow... super broke but sooooooo happy!!!

To me, if the shoe fits well, and is made well, I will pay a small fortune for them. My feet are fussy, and if the shoe is not well made and does not fit well, I won't be able to be on my feet all day. So, cheap shoes are not for me.

cassiesmom
03-13-2009, 09:49 AM
I ordered a new pair of sneakers on zappos.com because I could search by size and width. Since I broke my ankle my other sneakers fit tight, which is a bummer because they are super comfortable Propét's. I got them at DSW which sometimes has wide width shoes, sometimes not. Anyway, they are too tight. I ordered a pair of Avia's from zappos on the 7th, I received a free upgrade to express shipping - no tax, free delivery and they arrived on the 9th. They are so pristine white I hate to wear them! Reminded me of when I worked on the floors and used to get new shoes a couple times a year. Everyone always said "Oh, Elyse got new shoes" because they'd be all clean and white and not beat up. I had Nurse Mates in college but when I started my first job I bought a pair of Reebok sneakers and never went back to duty shoes!

My mom likes the shoe departments at Nordstrom and Von Maur really well. Von Maur is a midwest, family-run group of department stores. You all know Nordstrom I bet. My mom has a hard time getting good shoes too.

Suki Wingy
03-13-2009, 11:04 PM
My friend and I used to go in Von Maur and laugh at the prices. And get ideas of stuff to knit or make. :D

blue
03-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Shoe's, when I can find them in my size usually arent to expensive. Chuck Taylors run big so I can wear a size small and be comfortable

A good set of workboots will run me close to $300 USD.

jennielynn1970
03-14-2009, 02:11 PM
A good set of workboots will run me close to $300 USD.

Those better be some damn cute work boots! :eek: