PDA

View Full Version : My li'l meezer Coco Puff; *update*; 3/11; post #15

Medusa
03-09-2009, 11:51 AM
My poor boy has been suffering w/sinusitis. He's been to the vet twice in the last two months. The last time there he got an injection of depo and one of Convenia; depo to last 3 weeks, Convenia two weeks. It's been a week and he's already doing the rapid fire sneezing again. Dr. Lee feels that he's going to have a chronic problem w/sinusitis because he has several cats as patients who do and Coco is exhibiting the same symptoms. When Coco sneezes, he sprays mucous on the walls; that's how bad it is. I can deal w/the clean up; that isn't the problem. I just want my boy to feel better. He's always been such a muscular, active little troublemaker and he's been so lethargic, sleeping alone in the basement in one of the carriers. It's scary and it also makes me sad for him. Have any of you had this situation w/any of your furkids and, if so, what remedy has worked for you? Any help and direction that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. :)

GILL
03-09-2009, 03:32 PM
You might want to check the house for mold. We had a similar problem a few years ago. I sprayed the basement walls and floor with Clorox mixed (50/50) water, twice and it seems to have cleared us. Any place where it is moist mold can grow. It could be under a sink, dish washer, washing machine, shower. or even a leaky pipe. Good luck and I hope the little one feels better.

lvpets2002
03-09-2009, 03:45 PM
:) I was going to say the same thing that John said.. I hope your wittle Coco Puff feels better soon.. Gentle Huggss & Whisker Kissess Coco Puff.. Sending Lots of Prayers..
You might want to check the house for mold. We had a similar problem a few years ago. I sprayed the basement walls and floor with Clorox mixed (50/50) water, twice and it seems to have cleared us. Any place where it is moist mold can grow. It could be under a sink, dish washer, washing machine, shower. or even a leaky pipe. Good luck and I hope the little one feels better.

kittykatharine
03-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Oh poor Coco, I hope you feel better soon. Sinusitis is never fun and it is so hard to see our babies not feeling well. When you say he has been to the vet twice in the last two months, is this the same case of sinusitis that wont go away or has he contracted sinusitis more than once? If he has had the same case for two months, that seems extraordinary long. I have never heard of a chronic sinusitis. Sinusitis by definition is the inflammation of the sinus cavities - which can be bacterial, viral, fungal, etc. If it is bacterial or fungal then there should be medications to kill the infection. I know if it is viral, then it is up to his immune system to kick the cold. Is there not any anti-inflammatory meds to help decrease some of the inflam he is expereincing? You would think this would make him feel better.. Well, Medusa, I am thinking of sweet Coco and I hope his sinuses clear up and he can get back to being that active baby you love.:love::love::love:

Medusa
03-10-2009, 06:11 AM
According to my vet, it's apparently chronic. He said that he has several cats as patients who suffer w/it and he said that it can be particularly nasty. He's loading him w/Prednisolone right now and then he's going to gradually decrease the dosage to see if it comes back. When he examined Coco, he said that he could hear and feel mucous globules in Coco's throat. The first bout that he had caused him to gurgle; this time he just sneezes in rapid fire succession. On Saturday and Sunday he stayed mostly in the basement but after giving him a low dosage of Prednisolone, he began acting like his old self again, getting into everything and being a general pain in the patootie, which is just the way I like it.

Thanx for your input, Katherine, and I'll post if there's any change one way or the other. :)

moosmom
03-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Mollie Rose has those rapid fire boogies. The doctor gave her Orbax and Interferon and it cleared it right up. She also has kitty asthma. I give her a
Chlortrimeton (yes, it's a human antihistimine) when the watery eyes, running nose and sneezing flare up. It works.

Poor Puffman. I hope he's feeling better.

Medusa
03-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Mollie Rose has those rapid fire boogies. The doctor gave her Orbax and Interferon and it cleared it right up. She also has kitty asthma. I give her a
Chlortrimeton (yes, it's a human antihistimine) when the watery eyes, running nose and sneezing flare up. It works.

Poor Puffman. I hope he's feeling better.

Hmm, thanx for that, Donna. Dr. Lee gave Coco Puff a shot of Convenia but maybe one of the meds you mentioned will work. I'll talk to Dr. Lee about it. :)

pomtzu
03-10-2009, 09:37 AM
OK Coco - time to get better and stop that sneezing! What are you going to do when all the trees bud and flowers bloom if you've got the sneezies now?? Mom can't keep all the windows closed when it's nice outside!!

Your Meezer "brother" Cocoa in NC is sending get well wishes. He'd send you a pic of himself with his flopped over ear and bobbed tail, to make you laugh, but he really is sensitive about his altered looks now! :eek:

Vermontcat
03-10-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Coco Puff has been sneezing a lot and hasn't been feeling well.
Milly and I hope that he feels better soon.:)

kuhio98
03-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Poor baby. I hope he feels better soon.

moosmom
03-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Mary,

Also ask your vet about Zythromax. It's a pediatric antibiotic that works really well with cat allergies.

Medusa
03-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Mary,

Also ask your vet about Zythromax. It's a pediatric antibiotic that works really well with cat allergies.

Hey, thanx again, Donna. I'll call him tomorrow. :)

katladyd
03-11-2009, 12:57 AM
Poor kitty! Sending hugs and kisses your way to help you feel better:love:

Medusa
03-11-2009, 07:53 AM
He seems to be doing somewhat better today. He hasn't sneezed as much and he's a little more active. I hope the Pred does the trick, although I sure don't want to keep him on it long term. Creamsicle is on it due to her skin allergies and she's gained so much weight. For now, though, I'll be thankful for small favors and pray that he continues to improve. I haven't spoken to Dr. Lee yet about the Zythromax that Donna recommended but I will.

Thanx for your prayers and good wishes, friends. :)

catmandu
03-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Theres nothing sadder than when our Fur Companions are not feeling well. We are praying that Cocoa Puff is feeling better soon and that hes back to his happy self very soon!!!
:love::love::love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
03-11-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm sorry to hear that he's having problems.:( Hopefully the pred will help get it under control. Sky has a similar problem but he doesn't have the boogies. He just gets sneezing attacks and sound likes he congested so he's been taking some herbal pills 2 times a day for this. Please continue to keep us updated about him and I hope he'll continue to do well.

Medusa
03-11-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm sorry to hear that he's having problems.:( Hopefully the pred will help get it under control. Sky has a similar problem but he doesn't have the boogies. He just gets sneezing attacks and sound likes he congested so he's been taking some herbal pills 2 times a day for this. Please continue to keep us updated about him and I hope he'll continue to do well.

Now, that's interesting as well. What are the herbal pills that Sky is on and where might I get my hands on some, if you don't mind sharing the info? :) Most importantly, do they seem to be working well and how long did it take before they started to work? And thank you for the kind words.

krazyaboutkatz
03-11-2009, 11:41 AM
They're called Er Chen Teapills by Plum Flower. They're also sometimes referred to as Er Chen Wan. They do help him but he'll still sometimes have sneezing attacks and I also sometimes notice that he's making some noises when he breathes. If he wasn't taking them he'd be a lot worse.

I put them in part of a chicken pill pocket and he now begs for his pills. I give them to him in the morning and then in the evening so he gets 2 pills a day. I think it took several weeks for me to notice a difference. Certain times of the year he's much worse than others though.

I originally got them from my holistic vet but you can also buy them online at this website: http://www.chineseherbsdirect.com/er-chen-teapills-er-chen-wan-p-337.html. Good luck.:)

Catlady711
03-11-2009, 11:08 PM
I hope your meezer gets to feeling better soon.

I can't place Zythromax but I've heard of it at least, lol. Actually some meds I know by name brand others by main ingredient or generic names, hard to keep track of them all.;)

At work they frequently use Zenaquin or Baytril for more stubborn infections. Not sure if they would be appropriate in Coco's case or not though.

Hopefully the Conviena will take care of things. We've seen some pretty good results with it at work, but depends on the type of infection though.

Medusa
03-12-2009, 07:40 AM
I hope your meezer gets to feeling better soon.

I can't place Zythromax but I've heard of it at least, lol. Actually some meds I know by name brand others by main ingredient or generic names, hard to keep track of them all.;)

At work they frequently use Zenaquin or Baytril for more stubborn infections. Not sure if they would be appropriate in Coco's case or not though.

Hopefully the Conviena will take care of things. We've seen some pretty good results with it at work, but depends on the type of infection though.

The first shot of Convenia that he got fixed him right up but when he got another bout of sinusitis, the Convenia only lasted a couple of days, which is why he put Coco on the Pred for a little while. He feels that Coco needs an anti-inflammatory. My vet said that he has a patient that has such bad sinuses that the cat needed surgery. I sure hope it never comes to that w/Coco.

He's doing better today, thankfully. He jumped up on the counter top this morning, so he's at least back to being a bad boy. LOL

Vermontcat
03-13-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm happy to hear that Coco Puff is feeling well enough to be a bad boy again.;)
Give him a big hug from me.:)

Medusa
03-13-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm happy to hear that Coco Puff is feeling well enough to be a bad boy again.;)
Give him a big hug from me.:)

Yep, he jumped into the sink and started chewing on pieces of Romaine that I had discarded while making a salad. He loves Romaine! :confused: Consider him hugged! ;)