PDA

View Full Version : A sad day for our church

davidpizzica
03-08-2009, 12:43 PM
After the service today, a congregational meeting was held. It was decided that the church building will have to be put on the market to meet costs. A lot of questions were raised on whether the congregation could be kept intact. On the money we have, the church building can be only kept running until the end of may. We are a LCMS lutheran church and there are possiblites of merging with another church, or find another building, or the worst case senario of disbanding. I was baptized and confirmed here at Epiphany church and it really saddens me to think that the church might not be here for not too much longer. I and my congregation can use PT prayers now.

Daisy and Delilah
03-08-2009, 01:41 PM
I have never heard of this happening before, David. How terrible for all the congregation. It's one of the most solid things we have in our lives. A place to worship and have memories. I fear what will happen next in this day and time.

Luckily, church members are usually very strong, especially as the wonderful group they are together. Once the shock has worn off, I hope something positive comes out of it. I'll say a special prayer for all of you today.

davidpizzica
03-08-2009, 01:52 PM
I have never heard of this happening before, David. How terrible for all the congregation. It's one of the most solid things we have in our lives. A place to worship and have memories. I fear what will happen next in this day and time.

Luckily, church members are usually very strong, especially as the wonderful group they are. Once the shock has worn off, I hope something positive comes out of it. I'll say a special prayer for all of you today.

Thank you, Terri. I believe it's due to a dwindling of the congregation and the people that are left are elderly and no younger people becoming members and adding to the finances. I believe you're right in saying that it's a shock to learn about it today, but in time some positive things will come out.

carole
03-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Aww i am sorry to read this Bro, i hope that you can save the church, it is happening here too, i just saw an article about it last night,it is a special place with special meaning for you, so all fingers and paws crossed for a positive result, thinking of you.:)

davidpizzica
03-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Aww i am sorry to read this Bro, i hope that you can save the church, it is happening here too, i just saw an article about it last night,it is a special place with special meaning for you, so all fingers and paws crossed for a positive result, thinking of you.:)

Thank you, Carole. I'm afraid that this is another sign of the economy going downhill.

Catty1
03-08-2009, 02:24 PM
David, our church spent four years in a school gym while waiting for the congregation in the church we had bought to move into their new one. (Poor people were held up with permits, and delays in construction and other hassles).

We found that the church community was fine there - in short, we took our church with us, no matter the building. At ever service, we closed with a reading about how during the Exodus, God was always with his people.

I pray that you and your fellows there find somewhere to take your church, and it will grow and live and thrive...God will take you all to the holy mountain.

chocolatepuppy
03-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Many prayers that your church can pull through this David.

Karen
03-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Prayers that your church community will come through this change, and be stronger than ever. You know the song

The church is not a building
The church is not a steeple
The church is not a resting place, the church is the people ...

Logan
03-08-2009, 04:26 PM
David, I am the finance Chairperson at my church and believe me, I know how tough these times are for many congregations. In fact, at a congregational dinner on Wednesday night where we were talking about stewardship and makign good use of God's gifts, we sang the very song that Karen quoted, a song that all of our kids remember learning as they grew up in our church. The buildings and programs add to the church, but they are not It's foundation, for sure.
I will keep your congregation in my prayers.
Logan

DJFyrewolf36
03-08-2009, 04:44 PM
My prayers are with you and your church! I wish I could do more...

BitsyNaceyDog
03-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Oh David, I'm so sorry. I hope your congregation can stick together. The same thing happened to my in-laws' church.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-09-2009, 05:23 AM
Oh no, that is so sad...! But I am sure that you and your congregation will find a way :):):)

davidpizzica
03-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Although we may be losing our church building, I believe we have God keeping us in His heart. I don't know what's going to happen, but I think we'll stay as a congregation no matter where the new building or area will be.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Like Karen said, the church is the people not the building. Even people who are alone are part of God's church and he will still watch over you and keep you close in his heart.

Prayers are on the way that you can find some place to worship together soon. :love:

lvpets2002
03-10-2009, 12:44 PM
:love: Very Well Said Karen.. How so horrible David.. I just have never heard of this before.. I am wishing you all the best & that things work out for the best..

Prayers that your church community will come through this change, and be stronger than ever. You know the song

The church is not a building
The church is not a steeple
The church is not a resting place, the church is the people ...

Glacier
03-10-2009, 12:53 PM
My Mom's church(she's a minister) shares with another congregation. Early Sunday morning, it's a Catholic church; at noon it's a United Church. The Catholics had to sell their church a few years ago. This way both groups have a place to worship and half the expenses.

I hope your church can work something out to stay together.

davidpizzica
03-10-2009, 01:18 PM
My Mom's church(she's a minister) shares with another congregation. Early Sunday morning, it's a Catholic church; at noon it's a United Church. The Catholics had to sell their church a few years ago. This way both groups have a place to worship and half the expenses.

I hope your church can work something out to stay together.

Thank you, Glacier. It hurts though because I was baptized and confirmed in this church (I'm Lutheran) and attending for 60 years.