PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Cards (vote)

wolf_Q
09-22-2002, 04:09 AM
The thread on Christmas Cards is getting pretty long and confusing, so I am proposing a vote here, to maybe get things a bit straightened out. Please read the following options carefully, and vote for which you think works the best:

Option 1: Two separate lists for snail-mail and e-cards. If you sign up for either list, you *must* send a card to everyone on the list you signed up for. We can use measures as Karen suggested (a point person) to try and save people some of the cost.

Option 2: A list that has both snail-mail and e-mail addresses. If you sign up, you *must* send a card to everyone on the list, but you may choose between e-card or snail-mail (or both). If somebody signs up to this list, they do not have to put their snail-mail address if they do not feel comfortable with it.

Option 3: A separate snail-mail list and e-card list. If you sign up, you are not required to send a card to everyone on the list, just whoever you choose to send cards to.

Option 4: You don't like any of these options, so you may post what you think is the best.

Former User
09-22-2002, 04:17 AM
I voted for #3 because there's no way I will send cards to everyone on the list! I don't even probably know all the people on the list, no point sending cards for those.

But I think I will pass this whole thing after all, and as I said on the other thread, will just send cards for the closest ones. And ecards then to much more folks.

We have an international family, my family lives in Finland, and part of my husbands family lives in Belgium and part in England. So, we spend enough on the stamps for those already alone!

Then of course our friends here in Belgium and again all over the world, as I have friends here and there. And then, the Pet Talk people. See why we can't afford mail anyone a snail mail card.

By the way, I appreciate e-cards just as well, can always print it out! :D

wolf_Q
09-22-2002, 04:21 AM
Read Option 2. This means you have to send a card to everyone, but you can send snail-mail to some, and e-cards to others. :)
That is what I originally suggested, but a lot of people didn't like that. I can see the sides to both stories. I think that if you are a well-known person on PT, you'd probably receive a bunch of snail-mail.....but if you are not so well known, you'd probably receive all e-cards, even if you sent out all snail-mail....Heh, and I'd probably fit into the second catagory. The not so well known, lol.

Former User
09-22-2002, 04:27 AM
I can send a ECARD to eveeryone on the list, that's no problem, but I do not expect to get a snail mail card back!

Oh well, this is getting too complicated, so I'm OUT of both lists!

And can yu clear who to send those adresses, there are at least 3 people now who are collecting them!

wolf_Q
09-22-2002, 04:30 AM
Hey, there's no reason to do that, Casper & Kitty. :( It's a loooong time until December. It might take us a while to get it figured out, but that doesn't mean anybody needs to get upset in the process. There's really no reason to even start collecting addresses now, in my opinion. We should just wait until at least November. Addresses change, and people change their minds.

Plus, if you have no problems with sending an e-card to everyone, why not just sign up to the e-card list? If you read what I posted in the original thread.....you can just ask whoever collected the addresses to send you the list so you can send a few snail-mail cards to whoever you wanted. :)

Former User
09-22-2002, 04:34 AM
It says on option 3 that I DON'T have to send a card to everyone and then you tell me to read option 2 and that I have to send card to everyone.... so what is it then? I voted for 3, and it says I don't have to send card to everyone.... Oh well, never mind, as I said, I'm out. FYI I'm not upset, just confused because I didn't know what to do!

wolf_Q
09-22-2002, 04:38 AM
Option 2 just says you can choose e-card OR snail mail. I'm sorry for being so confusing. :( Please forgive me, I'm tired. :(

I personally chose Option 1. I don't see why there is a problem to have to send a card to everyone, if you only sign up to the e-card list.

This really doesn't *need* to be complicated, we are just making it that way, lol. It seems that it worked out fine last year, from what I heard. So whoever organized it all last year, please do it again! I am just making things worse.....

anna_66
09-22-2002, 09:21 AM
Ok, I'm kinda confused too:confused:
So I didn't vote for either.

This is the way I look at it:

Start another thread, & have each person sign up for the exchange
Have 1 person take REAL addresses (& distribute to everyone who signed up)
Have 1 person to take EMAIL addresses (& distribute to everyone who signed up)
Set a cut off date, that way everyone knows by what date to get their address's in, so noone that wants in gets left out.
Everyone should have BOTH lists. That way, it's fair & you can send REAL cards if you want (& can afford it) or EMAIL cards if you can't.

See, I look at it this way, not everyone will get cards from the people they send them to, I know I never do...but that's ok!
You could always PRINT your email cards, that's what I do!

I will help in any way, if needed.

Now... does this make sense, & does anyone agree?
Please let me know.
Anna

09-22-2002, 09:43 AM
This sounds good to me Anna66 ! By the way , I voted for option 3 , because I hated the word "MUST" on the 1st and 2nd option ! I hate it to be told what to do what yes and what not !!!

http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/comp2.gif

aly
09-22-2002, 10:07 AM
Its CHRISTMAS and it doesn't have to be so bitter. There is no reason to get worked up over sending cards. Remember the true reason for the day.

That being said, you are being very helpful wolf_Q and have not said or done anything to make it worse. I voted for option 1 as well. I worked really hard on my cards last year. I went to a sanctuary sort of far away to buy them. They were way overpriced but the proceeds went to the sanctuary. I also took a pic of Shiloh and made a border on the computer, then printed 40 of them out. I went to Kinko's and got them laminated then spent forever cutting them out. I also spent the money to make copies of my dogs' Christmas picture for every single person. Anyway, I NEVER moaned or groaned during the process. I had so much fun doing it for everyone. As they say, Christmas is about giving.

Now lets say we do option 3 and on the snail mail list is a very new member who is so excited to be here at Pet Talk. They work hard and get cards out to every single person on the list and receive 1 in return. How would that make you feel. I wouldn't feel too good.

We all understand money doesn't grow on trees. So as wolf_Q said, if you dont want to spend the time or money on the cards for everyone, simply request a copy of the list so you can choose your close friends.

Lets not lose the true meaning and spirit of Christmas.

RockyRoad
09-22-2002, 10:36 AM
Hold a sec...What did I miss?? Did I miss anything important? Christmas cards? I'll do it...if I knew what you were doing? Can someone explain it to me I'm really stupid?:)

aly
09-22-2002, 10:37 AM
Here is the thread that explains it:

http://64.246.0.213/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14870

RockyRoad
09-22-2002, 10:39 AM
Oh, sending Christmas cards to people...is that it? I'll do it, if I'm thinking the right thing!! Correct me if I' wrong, but if you want me to, I'll do it!! I voted for.....well I can't vote, and I can't decide, but it would be between 1 and 2 because I would definetly send them all. :D

Uabassoon
09-22-2002, 02:06 PM
Geez, I'm not really sure what to vote for. But I'm really looking forward to this. I kind of feel like Aly does. I'm planning on printing out pictures of my kitties and putting them in the cards and sending them to everyone on the list. I still have no idea how much it would cost overseas, but I want to mail as many as I can, even if I am a poor college kid. But as for in return, I'll be happy with an e-card. I enjoy sending cards out, I love working on "projects" so I won't be upset if I send someone a real card and just get an ecard in return. Because to me it's just the thought that counts.

Nomilynn
09-22-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by aly

Now lets say we do option 3 and on the snail mail list is a very new member who is so excited to be here at Pet Talk. They work hard and get cards out to every single person on the list and receive 1 in return. How would that make you feel. I wouldn't feel too good.

We all understand money doesn't grow on trees. So as wolf_Q said, if you dont want to spend the time or money on the cards for everyone, simply request a copy of the list so you can choose your close friends.

Lets not lose the true meaning and spirit of Christmas.

I agree - it wouldn't feel very nice at all, so I voted with #1. That way there isn't really any confusion. I have submitted my name for both email and snail mail, and I will send snail mail to everyone on that list (I will find a way to afford it! :p ) and an ecard to everyone on the email list, unless it's a duplicate from the snail mail list. If there are special people on here you want to send a real card to, why not contact them personally and explain you can't afford or don't have time for the lists? No one here would be bitter about that; we all understand money situations! :D But that way, a name won't show up on a list who isn't able to send anything.

Uabassoon
09-22-2002, 02:23 PM
I finally decided, I voted for #1. Because that way everyone can be happy. If you decide you want to send cards to everyone (like me) you can put yourself on the list and do that. But if you can't afford that and only want to send your cards to a select few then you just don't put yourself on the list and ask those select few for their address.

zippy-kat
09-22-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Casper & Kitty
FYI I'm not upset, just confused because I didn't know what to do!

[i]Originally posted by Wolf_Q[i]
It seems that it worked out fine last year, from what I heard. So whoever organized it all last year, please do it again! I am just making things worse.....

Let me see if I can help clear some confusion...

I was the one who came up with the idea last year, I ran it past another member and she was the one who actually got the ball rolling. However, 'life' happens and she was unable to keep up with it so it got turned over to myself and Jackie.

Many people like to send out their cards around Thanksgiving. So the *original* list was sent out maybe a week after Turkey-day. Of course, we had people who decided (last minute) to join--no problem! I just sent out their address to the others.

The way it worked last year:
Once your name was on the list, the addresses were sent out, cards were mailed. There really wasn't a "pick and choose who you send to"---but then again, most participants were from the USA. We did have one non-USA resident on the list, last year. I'll be honest, I didn't send her a card. There were two parts to this reason: (1)money and (2) I waited to see if she'd send me one. (If she'd have sent me one, I'd gladly have sent her one.) I didn't receive a card from her, but I did get a really, really nice ecard from her--just as enjoyable!

*An idea*-- You could always wait and see what US/Canadian/??? resident sends you one, then respond to their's. I *doubt* that I will be able to send a card to everyone who is over-seas and on the list, but I plan on contacting them early enough so that they won't waste postage money on me. And anyone who does not receive a "real" card can definitely expect an ecard or two!

I hate to see you not participate in either list, Niina, but I completely understand! I can also see both sides: it doesn't seem fair to pick and choose, but at the same time, money is a big factor as to who/how much to send!

My advice re: the options/poll---
if you are on the snail-mail list-- try to send to as many as you can afford, whether this be none, one, or 100. (this of course will involve, picking/choosing but I really don't see anyway around it, if there's financial limitations.)
if you are on the email list -- why not send an ecard to everyone? it only takes a few minutes to fill in the info and it doesn't cost anything to send an ecard.

That's just my two cents!

My suggestion (for the Xmas card lists, both email and snail mail):
Let's let this topic die until at least Halloween-ish!! It seems too early to be talkin' about Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years!! :eek:

(that having been said, you are still more than welcome to send your addresses to me, if you choose to...)

wolf_Q
09-22-2002, 03:59 PM
Personally, I would advise you guys not to give your home address online, just to be on the safe side. E cards are probably safer, but even if you'll be using e cards, be sure to ask your parents if you are one of those younger ones. I will not be participating as I don't celebrate Christmas.

I agree, if you are a younger Pet Talk citizen, it would be good to talk to your parents before giving out your home address. That said, it is still pretty safe, as we will be emailing the addresses to one person to collect, and not just posting them online.

RockyRoad
09-23-2002, 08:08 PM
How do we get the list?? Zippy, do we get it from you??

aly
09-23-2002, 09:15 PM
I wouldn't worry about getting the list until mid to late November. There would be too many additions and changes to it as the days pass :)

jackiesdaisy1935
09-24-2002, 06:37 PM
I agree with ZippyCat and Aly, ZippyCat did a wonderful job typing and keeping track of the snail mail list and believe me it was a lot of work, there were many changes and she kept up with all of them. If she is willing to do it again, I vote for her to keep the list, at least for the snail mail cards and perhaps someone else will offer to do the e.mail list. I sent out cards to everyone on the list and I do believe I got cards from just about everyone too. However I can't remember if we had any overseas, I don't think so, but I remember one from Canada.
It is a lot of fun, and like Aly I made pictures of Perry and Daisy and included them in the cards, believe me you really look forward to the cards and for those who included pictures of their pets, it was great. It's nice that there can be two lists that way if you can't afford to send one to everybody on the list there is always the e.cards which are wonderful too.
Thanks Zippy for offering again, I didn't think you would do that after last year. LOL
Jackie
I do think it would be wise to start early, to see how many will be on the list, it may end up with many more people than anyone would bargain for. lol

Kfamr
09-24-2002, 07:03 PM
This is kind of confusing me.

Why don't we do it like we did last year?? We had a list of people To send cards in the mail. The people whom were on the list were the only ones who go the list.
Then we sent whatever e-cards we wanted to to whomever we wanted to.

Aspen and Misty
09-24-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q

I agree, if you are a younger Pet Talk citizen, it would be good to talk to your parents before giving out your home address.

i talked to my parents, they said I can send E-cards and recieve them but my parents said money is tight (whole divorce thing) and we wouldn't be able to afford sending cards. And giving away your address on the internet is dangerous. So I'm in for ecards!

Logan
09-24-2002, 08:28 PM
It truly was so much fun last year. And I know I sent at least one overseas, if not more. Because Carrie was on the list (or maybe on mine), plus I also had a list from Golden Retriever, so maybe I'm confusing everything!! Not to be surprised by that, I'm sure. :o

Tonya, thanks for looking out for us. I'm going to hold out until the last minute to give you my address because I'm in limbo as to where we'll be at that point. Boy, I sure do hate selling and buying houses!! :p

Felicia's Mom
09-24-2002, 09:56 PM
Yes, I think it would be fun.