PDA

View Full Version : Catlovers VS Doglovers

Soledad
09-22-2002, 02:37 AM
We all know the difference between cats and dogs, but what about the differences between catlovers and doglovers? Do you think there are certain personality traits that exist in either? I'm fascinated with this idea, as I grew up quite a dog lover, but am gradually coming over to the cat side of things. I've noticed a bit of a personality change in that time, and I'd love to hear your views! :)

moosmom
09-22-2002, 09:03 AM
Soledad,

I grew up with dogs. I am a reformed cat hater. I thought cats were the lowest form on the face of the earth till my daughter Amy convinced me to get my first cat (Mollie Rose who is now 8 years old). From that point on I was hooked. I now have 6 cats and love every single one of them. I would rather be referred to as an animal lover as opposed to a just a cat or dog lover.

anna_66
09-22-2002, 09:31 AM
Well...I wouldn't say I'm a cat hater, I love all animals. But I've only had 1 cat (wasn't mine, I took care of her for a couple of months while she was pregnant). She was the most loving & sweet cat & like I said, she was pregnant:) She was a Siamese, & most beautiful. She would sleep with her head on my neck:rolleyes: Which made moving kinda impossible! I loved her very much & hated to give her back.
But otherwise, I haven't had much interaction with cats. We always had dogs while I was growing up (poodles!). I just can't imagine a cat giving love like a dog does. I've never seen one run to greet you with wet kisses & a wagging tail!
I would love to hear everyone's input.
I don't know, but I think I will be a dog lover till I die:D

aly
09-22-2002, 10:32 AM
I actually think cat lovers have more the type of personality as cats, and dog lovers have the personality of dogs. Strictly cat people might be more introverted, independent, curious, intelligent, moody (hehe) while strictly dog people are more extroverted, playful, giving, and sniff peoples' crotches (JUST KIDDING!!!).

Of course I know I can't generalize cat lovers and dog lovers.. but I do believe that a lot of the time they have the personality of a cat/dog. I hope no one is offended.

I love BOTH cats and dogs, so does that make me an introverted extrovert.......... or maybe an extroverted introvert :D

RockyRoad
09-22-2002, 10:32 AM
I love all animals, but if I had to choose it would be none because bunnies are WAY better than both!!:D

mugsy
09-22-2002, 12:34 PM
I have never owned a cat and probably never will because 1. Vonney kills them and 2. Mike is allergic. I too am a reformed cat hater. I will probably NEVER love them, but they're ok. I much prefer dogs though....pretty obivious having 16 of them!! lol I would say that I love ALL animals. Mistreatment of any kind is, in my book, unforgivable.

Nomilynn
09-22-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by aly
I actually think cat lovers have more the type of personality as cats, and dog lovers have the personality of dogs. Strictly cat people might be more introverted, independent, curious, intelligent, moody (hehe) while strictly dog people are more extroverted, playful, giving, and sniff peoples' crotches (JUST KIDDING!!!).

ROFL HAHAHAAH.... that was great!

I prefer cats but that's because, right now, I couldn't take care of a dog. I go to school all day and am gone some weekends. I know I can leave the cats overnight and not have to worry. I would have to say that I am an animal lover with a strong affliction for cats :D .

gini
09-22-2002, 02:56 PM
This is a really good subject, and I just don't have the time today to respond fully.

One of my clients (male) mentioned to me that he had broken up with his girlfriend. Why? He said she was a dog person and he is a cat person - and it just wasn't working out.

Me? I love dogs as much as cats - it is just that I have a cat right now and I couldn't love him more. But I am certain that a dog will be in my future.

Soledad
09-22-2002, 04:26 PM
I was interested in hearing about how people's personalities were changed by the animals they lived with. To avoid conflict, I didn't want it to be about dogs vs. cats, but about the people behind them. Do you think cat lovers and dog lovers are different in any way? Do you think there are certain traits that go along with certain animals?

I think there is something to be said about it all. Of course these are generalisations, but this is just for fun and not meant to mean that there are no exceptions. We're all animal lovers, here...but most of us prefer certain animals over others. I was wondering what it was inside YOU that made you pick one over the other.

Not to exclude birds, bunnies, lizards, etc....but I was interested in the cat/dog dynamic because it is so strong. I was wondering if we could try and see why.:)

Nomilynn
09-22-2002, 05:14 PM
Well I think that I am pretty introverted rather than outgoinv and extroverted. But I don't really know about the differences because I've always been around people who have cats and dogs. I think in general cat people seem a bit more eccentric - I don't know why but that seems to be something I have observed. But please don't take offense.. I mean it totally as a positive! :D

krazyaboutkatz
09-22-2002, 05:23 PM
When I was younger I grew up with a variety of animals but for some reason cats were always my favorite. Since I live in a condo, I knew that I couldn't really have a dog unless it was very small. I also sometimes work long hours and dogs get very lonely when left for long periods of time. I also think that dogs are more of a family pet and I'm single. Since I've always loved cats, I decided to get one. Well now I have 3 and love them all very much. They are my children. I think that I have changed since I've had my cats. I'm less stressed out, happier, unconditionally loved, and I also think that I've become a more responsible adult. My cats have improved my quality of life. :D

Soledad
09-22-2002, 05:38 PM
and I never imagined that I'd ever make peace with them, let alone OWN one. Then I moved to NZ, and EVERYONE has a cat here. I thought I'd give it a go, and see if it made me more of a kiwi.

Being a dog person and having a cat in the house was very strange at first. I wasn't used to a pet being so opinionated, and I wasn't used to the amount of independence a cat can have. I think having a cat has made me more patient. I think it's very funny how a cat will lay on you and purr, and then suddenly leap from your lap to be on it's own. It kind of teaches you to just let go and be there when they're ready.

Anyone else?

anna_66
09-22-2002, 06:02 PM
Ok, let's give this a go.

I feel I've learned alot more from my dogs than I could from a cat. Things like:

Be forgiving, a dog almost always forgives.

Be patient, dogs will wait forever (for instance...they are dumped, they will stay & wait for their owners to come back-how many cats would do that?)

Be kind, don't just think about what you want, try to think of other peoples feelings.

Be happy & show it!

Is this along the lines you were talking about Soledad?

aly
09-22-2002, 06:11 PM
Anna,

I know my cat would wait a lifetime for me BUT pretend she wasn't :) My dogs would wait a lifetime too and it would be painfully obvious :)

Soledad
09-22-2002, 06:31 PM
Sort of, only I didn't want it to get into a contest of who's better...cats or dogs. I just wondered if you thought that the people who loved cats/dogs were different from each other.

anna_66
09-22-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by aly
Anna,

I know my cat would wait a lifetime for me BUT pretend she wasn't :) My dogs would wait a lifetime too and it would be painfully obvious :)

Yep, just like those cats, don't want anyone to think their worried:rolleyes:
Dog, their just show it, they don't care who knows:p !!

Originally posted by Soledad
I just wondered if you thought that the people who loved cats/dogs were different from each other.

Ok...I guess I'm not getting the point:o
But I feel yes, we are different & then again, we're not! So I don't think I have an answer, so I'll just shut up now:p

Former User
09-23-2002, 07:15 AM
I haven't noticed any differences in myself. We had dogs when I was growing up and few cats too. I like both, cats and dogs and consider myself as aan animal person. I do not like all animals but most I do.

mugsy
09-23-2002, 08:41 AM
I do think that dog and cat lovers have different personalities. I agree that the cat people TEND to be more introverted and generally less dependent on others than dog people. Dog people tend to be the extroverts who like to have people around them. Dog people also seem to have more of the nurturing instinct also, maybe because dogs need more attention than cats. Most dog people I know (me included) prefer dogs because they want to be with them at all times and they are far less independent than cats.

Just my 2 cents worth of observations.

Logan
09-23-2002, 09:24 AM
As a "lover" of both, I don't think I can be personified as either way. There was a time in my life (twice, actually), where my only pet was a cat. It suited our lifestyle at the time because cats don't demand as much attention as dogs (I know some cat lovers would disagree with that). Every cat I have ever had is quite obnoxious at times, but always has some way of showing me that I am important and that they love me.

But I think having 2 of each is the way to go!!! Hehehe!! I can say that since I have two of each!! And I absolutely love them all to death! And you can add 2 birds to my list too, and I'm not quite sure how I ever did without them either!!! :)

Animal Lover is definitely the way to describe me! I'd have more if I had more time!!! :D

Dixieland Dancer
09-23-2002, 09:44 AM
I am a definite dog lover but my husband says I have the personality of a feline! Perhaps that is why I prefer dogs... the cats make me see myself and my independence too much!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

wolf_Q
09-23-2002, 10:47 AM
I've always considered myself a "dog person." Mainly because I've never had a cat, I'm sure. My father, brother, and sister are all allergic, plus well, they hate cats period. I've always loved cats, but I really think I like dogs more. Now as far as the personality descriptions you guys are giving, I'd fit in more of the "cat person" catagory. I am by no means an extrovert. I like being around people such as family and friends, but only close ones. I am a shy person by nature and it takes me a while to get used to a person enough to really talk to them. I've heard quite a few cats are really loving and friendly with their families, but shy away from strangers. That's me, I guess I'm a cat, lol.

But I think a dog as a pet fits me better. I think dogs make me a little more of an extrovert. If I have to talk about something, talking about my dogs is the easiest thing to do! :) Reggie and Smokey are more typical dogs, Nebo is a bit different. He has a bit of that cat independence to him.

lovemymaltese
09-23-2002, 11:39 AM
I grew up with dogs and have always enjoyed their company. I am allergic to cats so we have never owned one as a pet. I guess that i would be more of a dog person despite my allergies though.

I_love_cats
09-24-2002, 09:56 AM
Hello

I grew up with cats so I've always been a catlover. I am not into dogs, one reason I live in an apt which there wouldn't be any room for a dog. Cats have the most wonderful personality. I always like cats and I would't stop loving them. That is my opinion. Everyone has their own opinion.

Kfamr
09-24-2002, 10:32 AM
I used to see it this way.........

Since most cats are stuck up, Catlovers were stuck up.
Since most dogs are fun and sporty-like, Doglovers were fun and sporty-like.

But ever since I've joined Pet Talk...... You've proven me wrong.... except for a few of you in here...:p

wolflady
09-24-2002, 11:44 AM
It is interesting to see how the lifestyles of cat lovers vs. dog lovers is. I myself love both, but cats work with my lifestyle best right now. As I see it, I am a busy, independent person who sometimes demands attention, but not always. Since I work so much, I'm usually tired at the end of a day and yoga and my cats are what relaxes me. I see this as a sort of 'cattitude'. My personality is actually more like a cat's at the moment.

I do see a dog in my future (or as Logan said it...2 of each is best!!! :D ), but just not right now because I know it wouldn't be fair to the dog since I'm away so much.

I see people with dogs as active individuals who crave companionship and like to be the center of attention. They are also outgoing and get along well with others. Dogs are pack animals and do things to please their owners(pack). I think this is the main difference between true 'cat people' and 'dog people'. Dogs are more pack oriented whereas cats are more independent. I think the people kind of follow the traits of the animals.
But I'm definitely a cross between the two extremes. I love both, and I so much want a dog, but cats just work out better for me right now. :D :D

Neat thread! Keep posting your thoughts and ideas friends! :)

Soledad
09-25-2002, 12:36 AM
I think you're right on. A cat person has to deal with the fact that the animal is going to be around you when THEY want to be. A dog is much more accomodating, and needs someone who will give them lots of attention. I do find dog people to be more outgoing, talkative, gregarious. Cat people on the whole tend to be more reserved, quiet, independent and sometimes eccentric. I think it does relate to the whole idea that cats are (in theory) solitary animals, whereas dogs have evolved with a pack mentality. I think there is a definite connection between a cat/dog lover's personality and their animal.

Ann
09-25-2002, 01:06 AM
Interesting thread!

I am both a cat and a dog lover, but I think I would have to say that I too think that cat people are more introverted, reserved (shy even), and perhaps even more lazy. Dog people are probably more extroverted, energetic and shows their feelings easiler.

Originally posted by anna_66
I just can't imagine a cat giving love like a dog does. I've never seen one run to greet you with wet kisses & a wagging tail!

Whenever I come home from school both Tina AND Oliver run up to greet me. Tina wags her tail and is happy and Oliver will rub against my legs, meowing his "welcome home"s to me :)

jenluckenbach
09-25-2002, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
I think in general cat people seem a bit more eccentric - I don't know why but that seems to be something I have observed.D

TRUER WORDS HAVE NEVER BEEN SPOKEN!!!

I am a cat lover so I can say this.

I work as a pet groomer, dogs and cats, and whenever we get off the phone with one of these "eccentric" type personalities, you cat bet top dollar it is a cat owner.

lv4dogs
09-25-2002, 09:23 AM
I am both a cat and a dog lover, but I think I would have to say that I too think that cat people are more introverted, reserved (shy even), and perhaps even more lazy. Dog people are probably more extroverted, energetic and shows their feelings easiler.

I agree w/ the above statements.
I too am a BIG dog lover, but also have a heart for some cats the ones w/ the dog personality.

ramanth
09-25-2002, 11:43 AM
If you had asked me a few years ago what I was, I would of said a Catlover. I liked dogs and always wanted a dog, but grew up with cats. (Our Irish Setter passed away when I was 8 and I barely remember him)

I'm outgoing, but also like my alone time. I can't really say I'm like a cat or like a dog. I guess I'm a bit of both personalities even though I spent most of my life with cats.

When I moved out I made the decision to have a dog. Actually my ex missed having a dog and he was allergic to cats so thats how we ended up getting a dog instead of a cat. I myself could of gone either way.... but like I said before... I had always wanted a dog. And the decision was finally mine. The ex said if I wanted Kia she'd be my responsibility. Fair enough. And I don't ever regret that decision. Sometimes she's a bit too energetic for me, when all I want to do is relax and nap, but other times, I'm just as excited as she is to get out and go places.

I miss having a cat. Having them curl up in my lap and purr. But I love being able to take Kia places that I couldn't take a cat, bird, or fish.

I love all animals. Someday I'd like to have a menagerie of sorts. But for now, it's just me and Kia. And I like it that way. :)