PDA

View Full Version : The Highway of Heroes

Louie and me
03-06-2009, 10:33 AM
I was reading about the discussions that have been going on about whether or not the US media should be able to cover the return of fallen soldiers and thought you might be interested in what happens in Canada.
All soldiers killed in action are brought to a forces base in Ontario and are then taken by road to Toronto. There are 50 bridges that cross that section of the 401 highway and no matter what the weather, everyone of them is full of people the general public, fire trucks, ambulances, policemen paying their respects. The section was renamed The Highway of Heroes to honour the bravery and sacrifice of the men and women who are killed in action. It is very moving and sad, but the families following the hearse at least know that the are not alone. btw If a family prefers privacy, the homecoming is not publicized.

Grace
03-06-2009, 11:46 AM
I read about this in an article in NEWSWEEK (http://www.newsweek.com/id/184772). Canada is to be commended - this is a wonderful way to honor the fallen troops.

The military's aim is to move the bodies from the battlefield to Dover in two days. If cameras are present to greet the caskets, there will be a great deal of pressure on the families to be there, too—an emotional and financial hardship for many. Some may want a public ceremony; some may want privacy and silence. Is there a better way to honor their privacy and meet their needs while making sure the public is reminded of the price of war? Canada may have an answer. The more than 100 Canadian soldiers who have fallen in combat in Afghanistan have been flown to Trenton air base, then driven 107 miles to the mortuary in Toronto. A stretch of Canada's Highway 401 has become known as the Highway of Heroes. When the military hearse drives down it, all other traffic is blocked; police and fire trucks, lights flashing, line each overpass, and hundreds of Canadians, flags in hand, wait along the highway. Perhaps fallen American soldiers could arrive at Andrews Air Force Base— with the sort of quiet, dignified ceremony I chanced to witness—and then be carried by hearse (anonymously; no family need be present) to the mortuary at Dover, 102 miles away by road and highway. The route could pass by the White House.

RICHARD
03-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I was reading about the discussions that have been going on about whether or not the US media should be able to cover the return of fallen soldiers and thought you might be interested in what happens in Canada.
All soldiers killed in action are brought to a forces base in Ontario and are then taken by road to Toronto. There are 50 bridges that cross that section of the 401 highway and no matter what the weather, everyone of them is full of people the general public, fire trucks, ambulances, policemen paying their respects. The section was renamed The Highway of Heroes to honour the bravery and sacrifice of the men and women who are killed in action. It is very moving and sad, but the families following the hearse at least know that the are not alone. btw If a family prefers privacy, the homecoming is not publicized.

Neat.

The new administration - the Sec of Defense- changed the rules so now the bloodsuckers photos will find a way to put those photos online, ready for the next anti -war protest.:o

Grace
03-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Neat.

The new administration - the Sec of Defense- changed the rules so now the bloodsuckers photos will find a way to put those photos online, ready for the next anti -war protest.:o

Richard, the photos will only be shown if the families of the fallen agree. And what is so wrong with protesting an illegal conflict?

aTailOf2Kitties
03-06-2009, 01:42 PM
sometimes the fallen soldiers felt it was worth their life to serve their country. I know if I had a family member who was proud to serve and lost his life doing so, I'd be terribly upset if I saw his picture on an anti-war site, knowing they would not agree with it. People in this country get so hell-bent on their own agendas they often drag in those who do not want to be involved. I say the Highway of Heroes is a great way to honor the fallen and I'm sure a lot of similar things take place in the US, but if it was ever done on a grand (and very public) scale somebody, somehow, would find a way to ruin it for those who just want to honor the fallen, regardless of how or why they lost their lives. Families have enough on their plates dealing with their own losses without someone else using their beloved lost sons/daughters as just another pawn in their own twisted chess game.

If the families agree to photos, then that's fine, but truth be told it's hard to control who shows up with a camera and what they plan to do with the pictures.

pomtzu
03-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Families have enough on their plates dealing with their own losses without someone else using their beloved lost sons/daughters as just another pawn in their own twisted chess game.

If the families agree to photos, then that's fine, but truth be told it's hard to control who shows up with a camera and what they plan to do with the pictures.

They are talking of allowing photos of the flag draped coffin - not any actual body!

cassiesmom
03-06-2009, 02:56 PM
All soldiers killed in action are brought to a forces base in Ontario and are then taken by road to Toronto. There are 50 bridges that cross that section of the 401 highway and no matter what the weather, everyone of them is full of people the general public, fire trucks, ambulances, policemen paying their respects. The section was renamed The Highway of Heroes to honour the bravery and sacrifice of the men and women who are killed in action.

That sounds like a very dignified way to do it. Respecting a family's privacy and at the same time allowing citizens to show respect.

Edwina's Secretary
03-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Every Sunday one of the first things I look at in my newspaper is the military obituaries. I look at the name, age, hometown, and rank of every man and woman killed that week in the military service of this country.

I take the time to think of them and the sacrifice they made.

It seems the least I can do.

I remained surprised at those who think by seeing their flag draped coffins we disrepect them or invade the privacy of their families. An anonymous box is more personal than a name?

I do not think we should hide the price these men and women and their families are willing to pay for their country.

We should know it. We should acknowledge it. We should honor it.

kuhio98
03-07-2009, 09:29 AM
I really like the idea of the HIghway of Heroes.

Another way that helps me feel connected to these brave soldiers and their families is thru Operation Homefront Quilts. http://www.westpascoquilters.org/ohfq.htm

They have volunteered their time these years making a quilt to commemorate each solider for the family.

If you would like to donate money or quilt fabric, you can contact Jessica and Joanne at: [email protected]