PDA

View Full Version : Heart problems force Robin Williams to quit comedy tour - He's Fine! #5

Catty1
03-06-2009, 10:22 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/theatre/story/2009/03/05/williams-robin-tourcancel.html

Heart problems force Robin Williams to quit comedy tour

Last Updated: Thursday, March 5, 2009 | 5:22 PM ET
CBC News

Heart surgery has put the kibosh on the remainder of Robin Williams's comedy tour Weapons of Self-Destruction.

Though now best known for his film roles, Williams, 57, returned to his stand-up comedy roots and embarked on a sold-out, 80-city tour in September. However, he postponed a handful of shows in Florida earlier this week, citing shortness of breath.

On Thursday, the actor-comedian revealed in a statement that he requires an aortic valve replacement and that his remaining tour dates must be cancelled.

"I'm so touched by everyone's support and well wishes," Williams said in the statement. "This tour has been amazing fun and I can't wait to get back out on the road after a little tune-up."

No details were revealed about Williams's current whereabouts, nor whether he has already been admitted to hospital.

Organizers expect to reschedule the cancelled dates or ticket-holders can obtain refunds at point of purchase.

Williams rose to fame on the 1970s television series Mork and Mindy, eventually moving on to a prolific film career with credits ranging from drama (Dead Poets Society, Awakenings, Good Morning Vietnam) to comedy and family fare (Hook, Jumanji, Aladdin, License to Wed).

He won an Oscar for his performance in the 1997 film Good Will Hunting.

Taz_Zoee
03-06-2009, 01:47 PM
I really hope he pulls through this. He is one of my favorite comedians. I just keep thinking of what happened to John Ritter (another favorite sitcom comedian). At least Robin noticed something was wrong and can get it fixed, hopefully. Poor John had no warning. :(

K9karen
03-07-2009, 12:36 AM
I love him too. He never ceases to crack me up! Sure hope his surgery goes well and that he has a full, healthy recovery!

lizbud
03-07-2009, 05:11 PM
I heard that he is to get the same type surgery that Barbara Bush just had.
I hope it is a successful operation. Williams always makes me laugh.:)

momoffuzzyfaces
03-08-2009, 12:57 PM
I heard that he is to get the same type surgery that Barbara Bush just had.
I hope it is a successful operation. Williams always makes me laugh.:)

I hope he does well. I've always liked him.

What makes me sad is my mom died 45 years ago of this very thing.
Back then, heart surgery was seldom done. When done at all, it was considered experimental. I like to think that because she was at one of the leading hospitals in our area at the time and one of the only ones to do heart surgeries and we allowed an autopsy, she may have contributed in a small way to the advancement of this surgery that is almost routine now. :love:

Catty1
03-23-2009, 02:18 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/22/robin-williams-recovering_n_178081.html

Robin Williams Recovering After Heart Surgery

March 23, 2009 02:51 PM EST | AP

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20090323/people-robin-williams/images/ab1487b3-feae-4325-96df-78899fef0fca.jpg
In this Jan. 18, 2009 file photo, Robin Williams arrives at the premiere of "World's Greatest Dad" at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah. (AP Photo/Matt Sayles, File)

NEW YORK — Robin Williams was recovering at the Cleveland Clinic after heart surgery that his doctors deemed successful, his publicists said Monday.

The 57-year-old actor had an operation to replace an aortic valve on March 13, publicists Mara Buxbaum and Chris Kanarick said. He was expected to make a complete recovery in the next eight weeks.

"His heart is strong and he will have normal heart function in the coming weeks with no limitations on what he'll be able to do," said Dr. A. Marc Gillinov, a cardiothoracic surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic. "A couple of hours after surgery, he was entertaining the medical team and making us all laugh."

Williams was initially treated at the University of Miami Hospital before being transferred to Cleveland. He had been in Florida earlier this month when he was forced to cancel the remainder of his one-man comedy show, "Weapons of Self-Destruction," after experiencing shortness of breath.

Williams, whose sold-out, multi-city tour is expected to resume in the fall, thanked staff at both hospitals.

"I can't thank them enough for their kindness and dedication while I was in their care," he said in a statement. "I must also thank all the people who have expressed their love and concern for me. I have been deeply touched by their support."

Williams being Williams, he couldn't resist a comic aside.

"I got some great new material for the tour and can't wait to get back on the road," he said. "I'm thinking the next leg of the tour will be `Weapons of Self-Destruction and Reconstruction'!"