PDA

View Full Version : asking advice and feel really silly...

Catty1
03-04-2009, 08:28 PM
...but my brain is full and maybe sharing will clear it so I even know what and who to ASK.

1. Business - I've posted a couple of business questions lately, and TRULY appreciate the answers. They help back up what I kind of feel in my gut.

a. Late last year, I joined a computer tech company. I am not an employee, but sort of a contractor. This means I pay a fee to use the company logos, etc. and a monthly fee to use the website/database/my own company email account/invoicing tool.

It also means I keep 80% of what I make, and commission is 20%. ALSO, I buy the Company Vehicle, which is decaled with all company info and a VOIP # that forwards instantly to my cell.

2. Long story short - in these economic times, the company is not growing a team very well. Cost of living is high here, and no tech in need of work is going to be able to finance a $20,000 vehicle on top of everything else.

3. A colleague of mine in the company and I moved towards forming our own little companies...the head guy of the main company was informed, and asked that we use 3 months to give things a chance to work out, and the 20% commission would be suspended for that time.

4. SO - three time sensitive things; my membership in the Better Business Bureau, listing in the local Yellow Pages, and the Company Vehicle is in the body shop and some of the decals will be removed and replaced as part of the repair.

5. I am thinking I should go with my new company name NOW and operate under the main company umbrella for the three months. BBB and YP are for a year, and if I am not with the same company in 3 months, it'll be dumb.

PLUS, I wanna decal my Toyota - which NEVER sold - and sell the HHR Panel, which is NOT paid for and gets close to half the gas mileage my Toyota does. The Toyota has been very well maintained, and will easily do me for a few years yet.

WHAT DO I DO???? THOUGHTS???
DATING

In a totally unrelated matter...I have been on a couple of internet dating sites. I finally met a guy who seems great, and very human. We've talked on the phone, and have clicked well, though it's early days yet.

Meanwhile, I went with my mom to a personal introduction dating service. They had a startup special on (are rated A+ in the BBB). I signed up and kinda forgot about it...nothing was happening in the online world...and then I met the guy I am yakking to now.

The personal dating gal called me today while I was driving and told me she had a guy for me to meet - she had mentioned him at our first meeting. Of course, I will meet him. I will also tell Pat I am talking with someone else right now and we are planning to meet in person.

But what do I tell the guy I am going to meet? Wait and see what happens and keep my mouth shut meanwhile? (A number of things are certainly not his business at this point! ;) )

I think I have answered some of my own questions here, but my brain is cluttered...spent several hours this afternoon with a client whose voice was like a bandsaw...ow....

Thanks, I trust my PT friends.

psst...wanna buy a 2007 HHR Panel? ;)

Karen
03-04-2009, 08:36 PM
No thanks on the truck! Got my Turtle (Green CRV) and he's good.

Did you sign any agreements with the company you're a contractor with now that would preclude you from working under your own company name now? And what if things with that company get better, and you decide to stay with them? Any chance of that happening?

As for the dating thing, I think it's fine to meet guy #2, just if he asks "are you seeing anyone," answer honestly. What you've told us is enough info to share.

Catty1
03-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks, Karen:

Even as an independent operator, I could go back with the 'main' company. But I would want to be more independent, using the vehicle of my choice.

I think I know what to do - I am just PLAIN SCARED. :eek:

As for the date thing...I feel almost guilty about meeting guy #2 because of guy #1. ;) But - I'm not committed yet, either way.

My cats will be the key! LOL

thanks again

Scooter's Mom
03-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Do you have enough room in the corolla for all of your equipment you need?

Catty1
03-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Crystal - you mean my flash drive and all the cyber tools on it? :D

Occasionally, I will e-cycle a computer or printer - and there's plenty of room in the Toyota for them.

Thanks!

Scooter's Mom
03-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Ahhh, the world of computer repair really has changed.
My ex-DH used to have to take SO much more with him!