PDA

View Full Version : As Seen on TV?

RICHARD
03-04-2009, 04:18 PM
I was watching the tube and a commercial for an upside down tomato planter came on.

I was curious, I love tomatos and thought that it would be a cool garden project.

I went in search of the address on the internet and came across some DIY plans where I could make one at home with materials from a home improvement shop for about 1/4 the price. I decided to save my money and make one from scratch!

I saw the same commercial again and began to wonder how many PTers have ever bought the tomato planter, the blanket with the sleeves, Ginsu knives,
the pet nail trimmer or anything else that you may have seen on TV and said,
"I have to have that!"

---------------

LOL,
I forgot to mention the ShamWow and anything Billy Mays sells.

I know there are some really good stories out there!

moosmom
03-04-2009, 04:45 PM
First of all Billy Mayes doesn't sell, he YELLS!!!

I work at BB&B and they sell all sorts of "As Seen on TV". The nail trimmer is great for dogs, providing you let them get used to the noise it makes. I would NOT use it on cats.

We haven't gotten the tomato grower in yet. I'm interested myself in how good it is.

The "Snuggie" is okay. You get very overheated with it on. Since the back is open, that's one spot that can get cold.

ShamWow is awesome!! We can't keep them on the shelves. The same with the Aqua Globes.

The "Mighty Mendit" works great!! I use it for all my crafts. It bonds very well and you don't get glue burns like when you use a hot glue gun.

I hope this helps RICHARD.

kokopup
03-04-2009, 05:14 PM
I have seen several products that I would like to have but I am afraid to order from "as seen on tv". Years ago I ordered something from them and ended up with a monthly charge to a service that I didn't agree to. It took me for ever to unravel how it ended up being charged to my card.
It turned out that the charges occurred at the same time as my purchase
from "as seen on TV and the charges routed through the same company. I don't know if this was an isolated occurance or a normal mode of operation by them. I will not take a chance to find out.

RICHARD
03-04-2009, 05:20 PM
First of all Billy Mayes does sell, he YELLS!!!

I hope this helps RICHARD.

LOL,

Thanks!
I saw the nail trimmer at Target on a clearance aisle!

The one thing about the 'snuggie' is that they don't sell it in brown!
Maybe they do not want you to impersonate friars/monks?

KK,

YOu have to watch out for music and the movie offers.

The "Music Hits from the 70/80/90s" are the ones that are the worst. You buy a CD and then the company puts you on an automatic sending list!

The best way is to send a money order and not get your CC involved!

I always see the radio controlled stuff and want to buy them for Ed---er, ME!

Freedom
03-04-2009, 07:13 PM
The Sham Wow commercial is full of cut - and - edits, I wouldn't believe a thing on that one. I mean, when you can SEE the splicing, that is really bad news!

One of the Malls around here had a store, "As Seen on TV," for a time. Like a LOT of other shops, it is closed now.

I have never bought any of that junk. As you found, Richard, quite overpriced.

slick
03-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Anyone know where I can get a "Thigh Master?" :D;)

A while ago I was thinking about ordering some of those Aqua Globes. Do they really work?

What I really hate is seeing all those infomercials on fitness equipment. They drive me absolutely crazy. There is one piece of equipment that inverts you so you are virtually standing on your head and it's supposed to expand your back or something. How the heck can that be comfortable? **shakes head **

And has anyone used that Oxyclean? Does that really work?

Cinder & Smoke
03-04-2009, 07:48 PM
I saw that too!! :)

I was watching the tube and a commercial for an upside down tomato planter came on.

I was curious, I love tomatoes and thought that it would be a cool garden project.

I went in search of the address on the Internet and came across some DIY plans
where I could make one at home with materials from a home improvement shop
for about 1/4 the price. I decided to save my money and make one from scratch!

OK - did you build one???

I'd LOVE to hang one or two on the front porch - comfortably OUT of reach
of the 'Matoe Thieves and a lot closer to the point of consumption!

My big worries are:
1) Will it really grow tomatoes?
2) Will it get enough SUN on the north side of the Ranch??
3) Can the Muttz possibly *jump* that high?

So, WHERE did you find the construction info?
Did you follow the plans exactly, or make some modifications?

Phred Pharmer awaits your Reply ...

blue
03-04-2009, 08:01 PM
I might actualy get some of the Sham Wows to help Vince fight the Church of Scientology.

Phred here is a couple of links, I might have to try this once all the snow is gone.

Link (http://www.curbly.com/DIY-Maven/posts/1620-How-To-Make-An-Upside-Down-Tomato-Planter).

Link (http://www.oklahomahistory.net/tomatos.html).

More stuff (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&hs=gPi&q=upside+down+tomato+planter+plans&revid=0&ei=yDCvSf65KIH0sAPfotVw&sa=X&oi=revisions_inline&resnum=0&ct=broad-revision&cd=3).

RICHARD
03-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks Blue!

The first link of his is the one I looked at!

I was going this weekend to shop at a HIS-Everyone knows you don't start projects like that mid week!
You end up at home depot or Lowe's at closing time on Thursday night!;)

When I build one I'll let you know?

PHred.

You know the Muttz can do anything short of sending a rocket to the moon!:D

Moesha
03-04-2009, 10:25 PM
The one thing about the 'snuggie' is that they don't sell it in brown!
Maybe they do not want you to impersonate friars/monks?

I have the Slanket, it was the original and what the Snuggie is copying. Mine is brown! :p
I don't buy from the infomercials, but I do buy from QVC. I don't have an HSN account but would buy from them also. I know what their return policies are and that makes me much more comfortable. HSN has many of the "As Seen on TV" products, including the Snuggie. They have it cheaper than the original infomercial as well. Plus on QVC and HSN you can read reviews of the products before buying.
BTW: Here is my Slanket. :) (http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.H10886.desc.The-Slanket-Deluxe-66x62-Super-Soft-Wearable-Blanket) I really like it. It is very soft and weighty, not some cheap feeling tissue.

blue
03-04-2009, 10:34 PM
A slanket would actually be pretty cool, er warm, to have.

ramanth
03-04-2009, 10:50 PM
I tend to not buy 'As seen on TV' stuff off the tv. Sometimes I'll browse the local 'As Seen on TV' store. I did buy two things from the women's expo.

Of the two I LOVE the Fasta Pasta (http://www.fastapastacooker.com/).

Best invention ever. Everthing I cook comes out al dente. When I did the old pan routine I could never get it that good.

Nomilynn
03-05-2009, 12:43 AM
And has anyone used that Oxyclean? Does that really work?

My best friend has a white hoodie with black polka dots on it, that had a fight with a bottle of red wine. Unfortunately, buy the time she noticed the wine was dry. She couldn't use bleach because of the black dots, so she soaked the hoodie in the sink overnight with oxyclean. The hoodie looks as good as new!

I also use the dish soap with "oxy power" in it and it really works. I don't have to use as much in the sink to get lots of soapy bubbles, and when I soak casserole dishes the goop actually comes off.

I just bought some Debbie Meyer Green Bags today because I keep having to throw away bananas, and my grandma swears by the bags for her bananas. I researched them online before I bought them, and the consensus on them was they worked well for bananas but ok for other things that get kept in the fridge. I don't have problems with fridge produce, so I didn't care about that too much. I use the Tupperware Fridge Savers for fridge stuff.

smokey the elder
03-05-2009, 07:27 AM
Billy Mays doesn't have an "inside voice". I find commercials that shout very annoying.

I refuse to buy a product which I have not seen in person. Quite often, they turn out to be very shoddy. Petsmart sells the nail grinders; they had them on clearance because no one was buying them. The Sham Wows look useful, but again I'm turned off by Billy Mays.

Hmm...I wonder how often that affects one's buying a product or service...poor presentation. I guess that's why Madison Avenue ad folks get the big bux.

catnapper
03-05-2009, 08:06 AM
My daughter buys all that stuff. We have a Pedegg.... I get the same results from a pumice stone without having to look at the yucky skin flakes inside the container (blech!! :eek: )

I do have the Shed Ender. Works well, but the handle is uncomfortable. The cats HATE it :p

I have a Shamwow. Its used to protect my socks from cat hair in the sock basket they all insist on sleeping in. Its too much a pain to wash it and remember NOT to toss it in the dryer. Its ruined onced dried in a dryer. I'll keep to my cheap terry cloth dish rags for cleanup, thank you.

We have Hercules Hooks at work. They come with some of the artwork we get in. I HATE those things. They rip big holes in the walls, rip through the backing paper on artwork, and even ruined two large artprints by tearing through the foamcore the artwork was mounted to. I hung a new print yesterday using the Hercules hook. It fell right off the wall because the hook did a half-turn while I was hanging the wire on it (instead of facing up, it faced down once the weight of the artwork was on it.) Thank goodness I still had a hand on it or the Hercules hook would have taken another victim.

Donna, I was wondering about Mighty Mendit. I love to do needlework, but not to hem or repair stuff. Call me lazy. :p

Oh, and I have one of those flashlights that never need batteries... you know, the ones with LED lights and you crank the handle? Well, it works WHILE cranking the handle, but dims out a moment later. So if you want to roam around in the dark while spinning a dopey little handle..... :rolleyes:

finn's mom
03-05-2009, 09:17 AM
I have a PedEgg, I like it enough. I bought it at Walgreen's. I will buy just about anything from a store that has a good return policy. I just recently bought the Smooth Away and like it. So far, I haven't had any ingrown hairs, but I've only had it a week, so I'm just smoothing away and keeping my fingers crossed. ;) It won't replace my razor, but it's a nice quick, waterless (and razor bump free) way to "shave." :)

I will probably try the ShamWow, now that I know you can get them at a store. :)

pomtzu
03-05-2009, 01:08 PM
I bought a small Ronco rotisserie oven after I saw an infomercial on it. I hate it!!! I only use it if I want to do a whole chicken or a pork roast. They say "set it and forget it" - true for the cooking phase - but cleanup is a hassle and a pain in the butt - IMO! This was money not well spent. :(

RICHARD
03-05-2009, 02:16 PM
I bought a small Ronco rotisserie oven after I saw an infomercial on it. I hate it!!! I only use it if I want to do a whole chicken or a pork roast. They say "set it and forget it" - true for the cooking phase - but cleanup is a hassle and a pain in the butt - IMO! This was money not well spent. :(

I would figure that it's like a microwave in the fact that you have to clean out the corners when "something goes wrong/or gets spilled"?

THanks for the review!

I love going to the county fairs and standing at the booths where they sell stuff like the "As seen on TV" fare.!

moosmom
03-05-2009, 03:34 PM
BB&B also sells the Hercules Hooks. They're supposed to be for drywall and it says it can hold up to 50 lbs. What they REALLY mean is, when hanging a large, heavy item, you'll need 2 hooks to support it.

I swear by the Mighty Mendit and won't use anything else. The embellishment glue that it comes with you put "bling" on your clothes, works well too. It does take a while to dry, though. I've been using that till I can get another bottle of Mighty Mendit.

Logan
03-05-2009, 10:58 PM
This is an interesting discussion. I was thinking of some Aqua Globes today, as a matter of fact, for a hard to reach hay rack under my front window. Might try them. I see those and many other tv offers available in CVS. I bouht one of the nail trimmers for dogs, but I haven't tried it yet. I also bought the $9.99 forever razor for women. Trashed it. Gave me a rash under my arms. Scott bought the Snugglies for the girls, but I don't think they have been used yet.

RICHARD
03-28-2009, 07:02 PM
LOL,

Someone posted about the Sham/Scam Wow and I had to laugh because I saw a kitchen tool today that I really wanted to buy...

It's called the Titan Peeler.

I have this love affair with veggie peelers, the best one was a piece from a Tupperware catalog, It worked very well and it wore out..I saw the infomericial for the TP and wanted a product ecal from anyone who has one?

Thanks for the inspiration, Pomtzu!

RICHARD
04-03-2009, 07:34 PM
I just got a TITAN peeler!

I'll do a product eval after I use it!!!!!

moosmom
04-03-2009, 08:22 PM
The Aqua Globes work VERY well. We can't keep them in the store.

A funny story about them...a lady came into return them saying they killed her plants. The dumb biatch didn't realize you have to PUT WATER IN THEM for them to work. Her stupidity killed all her plants. DUH!!!

kitten645
04-03-2009, 09:20 PM
LOL,

I have this love affair with veggie peelers,

While it's not an infomercial item, I work with professional cooks and they ALL swear by the ceramic peeler from Kyocera. They aren't expensive, never dull (ceramic is harder than metal), don't rust, don't turn food brown and are lightweight. They have several different styles including one that swivels for both right and left handed users. I bought one and eat veggies practically every night just to be able to peel them! :rolleyes: Super sharp, super fast.

Back on topic, years ago I bought the Miracle Thaw. Slab of metal that defrosts things fast...LOVE it! Really works well.
I've also bought a plethera of others that were cr*p! Remember the Epilady? OUCH! And so many more I can't recall.

I love the Slanket. I bought a Sunbeam electric throw and it falls off and pills and sheds worse than the cats! Wondering if the Slanket does the same?
Claudia

Daisy and Delilah
04-03-2009, 11:49 PM
I love the commercial about the vegetable peeler. Let us know how you like it, Richard. That guy makes it look so easy.

sirrahbed
04-04-2009, 10:35 AM
What a funny thread!! I often find myself glued to the TV when infomercials come on and then blush a little and look around like I am being silly:o Some I laugh at and others are interesting enough that I wonder if they really do work and have bought assorted products in stores.

in the 80's I HAD to have the smooth legs that the Epilady promised and so bought one of those. My neighbors (other young moms) and I tried it, screamed in pain and then joked about it for years.

There was a chopping gadget that had blades inside a cylinder - can't remember the name of it, but used it for years to chop and dice veggies and it worked really well - though hard on the palm of the hand. Chop and Dice maybe?

A few years ago I bought (at store) a cylinder to cook pasta on the counter and threw it away after one use because I did not want to clean all the pasta glue from the inside and hated that thing!

The upside down tomato planter (Topsy Turvy?) - we saw in a newspaper or magazine add a few years back and hubby made several of them - think we googled like Richard did and found some ideas. We did ours in plastic cat litter buckets - just cut a hole in the bottom, used a coffee filter and used the handles to hang in trees. They produced tomatos for us but we found it hard to keep them in the sun enough because they needed a tree limb to hang on. Pretty clever concept though!!

I just bought a Pledge product fabric eraser and it works GREAT!! Too pricey to use all the time but terrific to get every last hair off pillows and lamp shades and bedpreads. I got tired of putting lipbalm on my lips and getting furry lips:D It is wonderful for getting cathair off and works even better than the tape rollers.

The Oxy-Clean is fabulous - anything "Oxy" has been wonderful I think - something about the oxygen action I guess? I keep the stuff in a spray bottle and it cleans cat throwup stains, etc off the carpet and upholstery like magic:D

oops - gotta run now - there's a really fascinating infomercial on!!:cool:

king2005
04-04-2009, 02:58 PM
The Aqua Globes work VERY well. We can't keep them in the store.

A funny story about them...a lady came into return them saying they killed her plants. The dumb biatch didn't realize you have to PUT WATER IN THEM for them to work. Her stupidity killed all her plants. DUH!!!

hehehehe This is why people like me who make Manuals feel that we are wasting our time lol

Jordan's step-dad sells nifty kitchen/house things... He uses a lot of his products & they really are good.. They have the aqua globes & they saved Jordan & I having to water the plants daily while his folks were on vacation.

However, I have always made my own aqua globes... its a pop bottle with a hole cut into it & fluffy filter stuff to help give an even flow of water... Recycling is good :)

Cataholic
04-04-2009, 03:11 PM
I hate the snuggie. It is not very generous in its cut, is too thin, and who has 5 foot arms? Great concept, poor design.

I love Oxyclean, and use it all the time.

Though not a 'made for TV' product, I cannot endorse enough the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser! That thing works so darn well! J walks around the house with one singing the Mr. Clean diddy....

3Catcondo
04-05-2009, 08:09 PM
I love the Pledge hair remover for upholstered furniture. I was able to gently pull the two rollers apart and get the hair out, so I don't have to go buy one every time it gets full.

RICHARD
04-05-2009, 09:02 PM
While it's not an infomercial item, I work with professional cooks and they ALL swear by the ceramic peeler from Kyocera. They aren't expensive, never dull (ceramic is harder than metal), don't rust, don't turn food brown and are lightweight. They have several different styles including one that swivels for both right and left handed users. I bought one and eat veggies practically every night just to be able to peel them! :rolleyes: Super sharp, super fast.

I am afraid of anything ceramic-cutting tool wise.

In school I studied the religions of Cent Amerinds and they used obsidian -its a kind of volcanic glass to make really sharp knives- so I am afraid of the ceramic kitchen tools.

O.K. you can stop laughing now!:D

D&D,

Dude, the peeler works well, too well! It has a serrated blade that is scary, especially when you do small fruit.

The edge will bite you-lol, how do I know this? It bit me!
The needle like serrated edge will catch you skin quite easily. With more practice I won't bleed, But it does the trick! The second peeler -julieene- it neat too, You can get some really neat little slices of whatever you are working with. Especially nice for citrus, when you need the peel!

I gave it an A-.
Only because the blade was scary to use at first!

Nomilynn
04-05-2009, 10:32 PM
I would love to see some pictures or plan ideas for the Topsy Turvey, or even if they work. My bf has a tomato plant on his deck every year and it grows like CRAZY, which means there are lots of gross tomatoes that mold in the dirt before we can pick them. He has some hanging hooks that were likely used for hanging baskets at some point.. do the upside down tomato planters really work?

RICHARD
04-06-2009, 01:26 PM
I would love to see some pictures or plan ideas for the Topsy Turvey, or even if they work. My bf has a tomato plant on his deck every year and it grows like CRAZY, which means there are lots of gross tomatoes that mold in the dirt before we can pick them. He has some hanging hooks that were likely used for hanging baskets at some point.. do the upside down tomato planters really work?

If you go to some of the links at the beginning of the thread you will see some plans for a simple USD planter...

I am putting mine together this week...I'll take photos!

RICHARD
04-09-2009, 05:38 PM
I made my tomato planter two days ago.:D

I have taken pics but need to upload them. I did take some as I put it together!

I used an old piece of plastic window screen to hold the potting soil inside the bucket and II thought I really screwed up the plants when I pushed them thru the screen and hole on the side of the container..

They looked a little battered, but today they have perked up and have started to grow upwards. I can feed them in two weeks!

We'll know what happens in around 40-50 days!:D

RICHARD
04-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Did anyone watch the "Pitchmen" special on DISC? I think it was on DISC....:rolleyes:

Billy Mays and the other guy do a show where they test a pair of inventions to pitch, they put together a commercial, then decide who had the best invention.

Very interesting.....I also saw a book called "But Wait, There's more!" it tell about the tricks they use in the infomercials to get you excited and purchasing the items on sale.

----------

My tomato planter is growing great.

I put in two mater plants and a pepper plant! The PP just put out a flower and the 'maters plants are doing well!:eek:

Cinder & Smoke
04-17-2009, 07:56 PM
... you will see some plans for a simple USD planter...
I am putting mine together this week ...
I'll take photos!

I made my tomato planter two days ago.:D
I have taken pics but need to upload them. I did take some as I put it together!

They looked a little battered,
but today they have perked up and have started to grow upwards.

I put in two mater plants and a pepper plant!
The PP just put out a flower and the 'maters plants are doing well! :eek:

OK - so where's our step-by-step 'Mater Pharm construction photos?
It'll quit *snowin* over here on the Righ Edge (maybe) and be tyme to PLANT soon.

Trivia Questions:

* How much 'room' is needed from the bottom of the USD Planter to the ground?
I'm prolly going to make a 3-legged TriPod (like a teepee tent frame) to
hold my 'Mater Bucket above ground in the driveway rather than hang it
under the porch roof. Lot more SUN in the driveway.
I'll string the Dawg Fence around the tripod legs to keep the 4-legged Poachers
outta da Pharm again this year.

* How much does the loaded bucket WEIGH when it's filled with soil + water?

* Did you plant all three plants at the same Level, or stagger them one
high, one low, one in the middle?

* Is yours an 'open top', or covered with the bucket lid?

Standing by ...

/s/ Future Pharmer

Nomilynn
04-18-2009, 12:35 AM
I can't wait to see some pictures.. I really want to give it a try!

blue
04-18-2009, 01:31 AM
I wanna do some cherry type maters once things thaw out, so post up the pics. I got plenty of buckets and screen material.

I steal buskets from walrus's

janelle
04-18-2009, 01:45 AM
The tomato plants just do not look sturdy hanging upside down, like they will break off at any moment. We have very high winds here and I fear they would be blown away or torn up whipping in the wind.

I would rather buy the "as seen on TV" things at the store so as not to pay postage and also to see the product up close. I have been sorry when I bought the other way.

The exercise equipment turn out to be junk. The bolts and screws come loose and need to be tightened all the time. If you want to try them, look for them at garage sales. We sold ours for 35 dollars at our sale---we paid 100 something for it.

The snuggies do not close in the back so not for me. I would wear them like a robe so I will just wear my robe and we have been using blankets to cover up anyway. If the blanket is big enough they work fine.

I bought the Hercules Hooks but haven't used them so thanks for the warning. I got the Ped Egg but if I don't use lotion with it the day skin comes back right away for me. I got the Ped Egg on sale. All of these things go on sale if you look for it.

I sent for the 80s CDs. I felt scammed on those. When you go to pay they slip in the club membership on you before you know it and you are signed up to receive more each month. They are sneaky about it. I called them and ended up sending all the CDs back. They could not correct it any other way. That was ok with me since I did not send for anymore after that. I was out postage and handling both ways though so not a good deal at all. I hate membership clubs. It never stops.

Same with the 80s videos. They had me in the club so had to cancel after the first month of getting more videos. They make you a club member before you know it. It must be in the fine print so I am totally off those things now.

I think it is best not to watch these commercials late at night. LOL

RICHARD
04-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Trivia Questions:

* How much 'room' is needed from the bottom of the USD Planter to the ground?
I'm prolly going to make a 3-legged TriPod (like a teepee tent frame) to
hold my 'Mater Bucket above ground in the driveway rather than hang it
under the porch roof. Lot more SUN in the driveway.
I'll string the Dawg Fence around the tripod legs to keep the 4-legged Poachers
outta da Pharm again this year.

* How much does the loaded bucket WEIGH when it's filled with soil + water?

* Did you plant all three plants at the same Level, or stagger them one
high, one low, one in the middle?

* Is yours an 'open top', or covered with the bucket lid?

Standing by ...

/s/ Future Pharmer

I have no way of uplaoding them yet. Our house comps are on the blink!

I will get them done soon!

I took a 5 gallon bucket and cut three 3 inch holes at 0, 90 and 180 degrees around the midline (half way up) I stapled an old piece of nylon screen inside to keep the soil in and cut a cross in the mesh to feed the plants thru.

I filled the bucket with potting soil then took the plants, pushed them thru the mesh and covered the root system. I also punched some holes in the bottom to keep it drained.

I used a garage hook, those rubber coated hooks that you use to hang stuff in the garage, and put it under a south facing eave thate gets good sunshine.

I have a piece of nylon rope to adjust the height when they start to get going,

I guess you can start one at any level and adjust it if you use a piece of rope to hang it-this takes a little adjusting to keep the plants facing the sun.

I leave the top off the can and he whole kit and kabooble weighs about 35 pounds.

Cinder & Smoke
04-18-2009, 07:17 PM
I took a 5 gallon bucket and cut three 3 inch holes at 0, 90 and 180 degrees
around the midline (half way up).

I also punched some holes in the bottom to keep it drained.

... put it under a south facing eave that gets good sunshine.

I leave the top off the can and he whole kit and kabooble weighs about 35 pounds.

I need to talk this over with Pharmer Donny - the (on the ground) Bucket Pharmer -
to figure out the best placement for acceptable sunlight amounts.

I kinda like your idea of the 0 - 90 - 180 degree spacing so none of them
are forced to grow on the shady side of the bucket. ;)

But :eek: 35 pounds, plus another 8 - 16 pounds for water = a pretty HEAVY
40 -50 pounds hanging off one little roof truss.

I need to start deciding a few things - or start *flippin* coins.

RICHARD
04-18-2009, 08:42 PM
I need to talk this over with Pharmer Donny - the (on the ground) Bucket Pharmer -
to figure out the best placement for acceptable sunlight amounts.

I kinda like your idea of the 0 - 90 - 180 degree spacing so none of them
are forced to grow on the shady side of the bucket. ;)

But :eek: 35 pounds, plus another 8 - 16 pounds for water = a pretty HEAVY
40 -50 pounds hanging off one little roof truss.

I need to start deciding a few things - or start *flippin* coins.

I have a garage with southeast facing wall where I hung the bucket.

An easy way to find a sunny spot is to wake up early and find the place where you want to hang the plantar. and you can use pieces of tape on a wall or ground you can plot the sunshine as it moves across the area, or find the best area.

I just water the bucket enough to keep the soil moist.

I'll find a way to get you the pics!

RICHARD
05-19-2009, 07:15 PM
We got baby maters! I hadn't noticed 'til today, plus the chile plant is sprouting too! I know I promised photos-In the next week or so!

RICHARD
05-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Hokay!

Here we go!!!

How to make a mater hanger!

L to R

Get your mater plants!

Get yer bucket!

Drill holes in the sides of the bucket with a drill and hole saw attached!

Line the bucket with window mesh/screen-I stapled it to the sides to keep it in place!

RICHARD
05-26-2009, 08:25 PM
More....

L to R...

Cut an 'X" into the mesh

Fill the planter with potting soil up to the level of the holes.

I figured this out when I made one for my brother.

Take the plant out of the pot and gently roll a piece of paper around the plant. Make it tight enough so you can push the 'roll' thru the hole in the mesh w/o tearing the plant up. The first time I tried to push the plant thru the mesh it bruised the plant and it went limp for a few days.

Fill it so the soil covers the plant's root and find a place in the sun for them!

RICHARD
05-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Progress?

L to R...

About three weeks into the test.

Recent photos of maters and the size of the plants!

Cinder & Smoke
05-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Do your 'Maters know which way is *UP* ?? :
They seem :confused:

Looks like they are growing UP beside the bucket ...
I thunk they were supposed to grow DOWN with gravity assisting.

:confused:

RICHARD
05-26-2009, 09:39 PM
Do your 'Maters know which way is *UP* ?? :
They seem :confused:

Looks like they are growing UP beside the bucket ...
I thunk they were supposed to grow DOWN with gravity assisting.

:confused:

LOL,

The plant on the left has grown "up".

The plant on the right turned and is growing downward.

The chile plant in the middle don't give a flip!

As the plant gets heavier, gravity turns it around!:D
I was wondering about that and as it gets top heavy it starts to grow around and downward!

--------------------------------

I made another single planter with just one plant and the hole in the bottom.

That one already has fruit on it and it is about 2.5 weeks old!

----------------

DUDE! I don't have recent pics....I'll take some and post more recent ones!

RICHARD
05-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Phred,
This is what the mater plants look like today!

YOu can see one of the plants has headed south, the size of my maters and the chile plant. If you look really close at my hand in the last pic, my ring finger is near one of the chiles!:eek:

Cinder & Smoke
05-27-2009, 12:34 PM
:eek:
Good Grief!
The Left Coasters got 'Maters already!

http://petoftheday.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=42677&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1243440000

We just got past the "Frost Possible" days!

Pharmer Donny called and said it's Tyme for planting - he's got lil ones
that wanna got in a big pot!

After thinkin about the Hanging from the Eves system - the thought has
crept into my head that IF the buckit is hanging at a height that *I*
can manage to water and tend to ...
The eventual CROP will be presented at just the proper height for the
wandering hordes of Mater Raiders to have 24/7 access to the Salad Bar
at every outing. :eek:

If we stick to the ground-suppported system - WITH security fencing -
and I somehow manage to teach the durn bush to grow UP instead of
spreading it's 'arms' on the ground ... I should be able to harvest more than
The Horde manages to steal. ... He said - Hopefully.

WHO taught these Mutts to like Tomatos?? :(

/s/ Pharmer Phred

RICHARD
05-27-2009, 12:57 PM
WHO taught these Mutts to like Tomatos?? :(

/s/ Pharmer Phred

There is a cherry mater plant that grows near the house and I have been taking the ripe ones and snacking on them. They are so sweet, it's like eating candy!

I think 'der mutts' must have a sweet tooth, er, canines?

Good luck to you and Pharmer Donny!

:D

momoffuzzyfaces
05-27-2009, 01:00 PM
I have the Slanket, it was the original and what the Snuggie is copying. Mine is brown! :p
I don't buy from the infomercials, but I do buy from QVC. I don't have an HSN account but would buy from them also. I know what their return policies are and that makes me much more comfortable. HSN has many of the "As Seen on TV" products, including the Snuggie. They have it cheaper than the original infomercial as well. Plus on QVC and HSN you can read reviews of the products before buying.
BTW: Here is my Slanket. :) (http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.H10886.desc.The-Slanket-Deluxe-66x62-Super-Soft-Wearable-Blanket) I really like it. It is very soft and weighty, not some cheap feeling tissue.

QVC had the upside down tomato planters too. Only theirs came with a stand and hook in case you didn't want to hang them from the porch. Would be much easier to take care of. I was really templed but didn't get one.

I got two of the Snuggies for Christmas. I use one when I want to nap and need a cover. All the cats can get under it. Arms are way to long but then I'm a short shrimp. They came from the co and the person could only order two. So I got them both.

I also have the Sham Wow. Got them from QVC. Not real impressed with them. They are ok but nothing out of the ordinary. :love:

IRescue452
05-27-2009, 01:16 PM
I didn't know you had to throw out those new pledge pet hair erasers when they get full. It looks reusable on the tv. What a waste. I haven't used one yet because I have a vacuum and I also have a pet hair remover brush that works just fine and cost a dollar. Its one that goes one way for removal of hair from furniture and then you clean the hair off of it in the other direction and its ready for use again.

RICHARD
06-13-2009, 05:12 AM
A Mater update?

This are the results so far.:eek:

The concept seems to work out very well.

I have another plant, in a regular bowl that I put into a cage-it was starting to fall over!

I am really looking forward to the first taste!

I'll let you all know.:D

Moesha
06-13-2009, 06:55 AM
I have my tomatoes in pots on my deck. I've been noticing many of the hanging ones though. To my surprise, most of them have only a few flowers and even fewer tomatoes. My 4 potted plants have about 15 tomatoes on them. It could be different varieties of plants are maturing at different rates. I do know that I've been housesitting for two different families this week. Both of the upside down plants. I've gotten soaked more than once trying to water the stupid things.

happylabs
06-13-2009, 08:34 AM
A Mater update?

This are the results so far.:eek:

The concept seems to work out very well.

I have another plant, in a regular bowl that I put into a cage-it was starting to fall over!

I am really looking forward to the first taste!

I'll let you all know.:D

Oh they are beautiful! My mouth is watering for home grown tomatoes. I don't have a garden though. :(

RICHARD
06-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Both of the upside down plants. I've gotten soaked more than once trying to water the stupid things.

I got an aluminum wand that hooks up to then of a flexible hose. It makes watering easier. I just hooked a nozzle on the end, set it so it sprays and that works fairly well!

Good luk with your maters!

Happy,
I am almost tempted to go the fried green tomato route!:D

Laura's Babies
06-13-2009, 07:45 PM
I see green tomato relish on those plants!

RICHARD
06-13-2009, 08:06 PM
I see green tomato relish on those plants!

Do you have a recipe?

Please?:D

caseysmom
06-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Those look great Richard.

RICHARD
06-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Those look great Richard.

Thank you, It hasn't been hard work, but the wait is killing me!

I can eat tomatoes every day!:eek:

---------------------

I looked up tomato relish and see that I have to do some work to get there!

It's a huge operation and some of the recipes sound really great!:D

caseysmom
06-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Yeah me too, I have had gardens in other houses, this house it never works out, I think there is too much shade. My dad always had an awesome garden when I was growing up.

One of my first places was a duplex we rented, I was close enough to drive home at lunch and water the tomatoes during the hot part of the day, it can get to 110 here. I had so many tomatoes I had friends come over to pick there own.

RICHARD
06-17-2009, 01:06 AM
Yeah me too, I have had gardens in other houses, this house it never works out, I think there is too much shade. My dad always had an awesome garden when I was growing up.

Check out your place and watch where the sun shines for the better part of the day.....You can do it.

This recipe sounded really good!

HOT FISH-HOUSE STYLE GREEN TOMATO
PICKLES

2 qts. quartered green tomato
2 c. chopped onion
3/4 c. chopped hot peppers
2 c. sugar
3 tbsp. salt
2 c. vinegar
1 tsp. celery seed

Put tomatoes, onions and hot peppers in large pan. Mix remaining ingredients together. Pour over tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat immediately, put in hot, sterile jars and seal.
NOTE: For spicy but not hot pickles, reduce hot pepper to half or less the amount called for and fill. Measure with chopped sweet peppers.

Oh, I love pickled green tomatoes in salads.......I am going to look for supplies to try this out....

RICHARD
06-29-2009, 12:50 PM
DUDE!!!!!

I have my knife and salt shaker ready to roll!

Moesha
06-29-2009, 07:41 PM
I picked two tomatoes this morning. They weren't totally ripe, but I thought I'd let them finish in the window and let the plant use its energies to make more tomatoes.

momoffuzzyfaces
06-30-2009, 05:49 PM
There are few things better than a ripe, fresh picked, home grown tomato!!! YUMMY!!! :D

Wasn't there a song about Home Grown Tomatoes years ago? About them growing on pots on porches and stuff? (I have grown them in pots on my porch before. They did really well) Ok, now I'm hungry! :D

RICHARD
06-30-2009, 11:45 PM
My brother and sister were over and we ate the first tomato off the plant.

I cut it into wedges and sprinkled a little kosher salt on. It was the best.

I took off another that I will have as a "later" snack.:)