PDA

View Full Version : Pink dolphin?

M&M's Mommy
03-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Isn't this (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/4927224/Pink-dolphin-appears-in-US-lake.html) the cutest (strangest?) thing you've ever seen? :)

Karen
03-03-2009, 09:05 PM
That's amazing! An albino dolphin, in a saltwater estuary in Louisiana! I hope s/he stays safe and healthy!

Moesha
03-03-2009, 09:34 PM
I saw a report on Good Morning America this morning about Pinky. She is adorable!

Amanda+12
03-03-2009, 09:49 PM
That's really cute... and weird!

blue
03-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Inland lake? I quess since they're mamals they dont need to proccess salt water like fish do.

Suki Wingy
03-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Yes, they do, need salt water, Blue. Since the lake is in LA it is probably technically connected to the gulf somehow, thus being salty enough for bottlenose dolphins.

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about botos, which I did a huge research project and presentation on in high school.

blue
03-03-2009, 11:13 PM
I figured inland lake no salt.

Didnt think mamals proccessed salt water the same way fish did. I done learned something.

aTailOf2Kitties
03-04-2009, 07:04 AM
they don't need the salt to breathe but it has a different PH and such when it comes in contact with thier skin and eyes. I saw a sea lion show at a zoo once and they said their swimming pool was fresh water, but had to spray their eyes with salt water several times a day.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Oh wow! It's a pink bottlenose dolphin!

Blue- bottlenose dolphins are saltwater dolphins, but there are kinds of freshwater dolphins too. I know that "Amazon River Dolphins" are freshwater dolphins and they're actually pink too. I don't think there are any dolphins that can live in both saltwater and freshwater though.

This bottlenose dolphin is living in saltwater according to the article.

the mammal first surfaced in Lake Calcasieu, an inland saltwater estuary, north of the Gulf of Mexico in southwestern USA.

Unlike dolphins, manatee are an animal that can live in both saltwater and freshwater. Manatee come up into the freshwater springs and rivers in Florida during the winter when the ocean is cooler and the springs and rivers are warmer. Then in the spring they head back out to the ocean.

:)

Husky_mom
03-04-2009, 11:03 AM
I was just watching the cartoon Go Diego Go the other day.. haha and it was about some dolphins (canīt remember the name).. but they are pink as babies and then grow up to be grey adults... so cool...

river dolphins??... hmm... :p I canīt remember LOL

M&M's Mommy
03-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Check here (http://calcasieucharters.com/index.cfm?act=imagegallery.cfm?name=Rare+Pink+Dolp hin+Photo+Gallery) for more pics of little pinky :)

Zippy
03-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Oh my gosh she is soo cute.:love:

Alysser
03-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Well, I'm an albino freak, I love all albino animals. Dolphins are so cute, and an albino one even cuter!! Does this mean there are possibly more out there, if this one was born? Unless it's a very rare recessive gene?

Husky_mom
03-04-2009, 03:03 PM
after seeing the cartoon mentioning the pink dolphins that as adults turn the normal grey color... I thought they were hippo pink.. you know... how the hippos turn pink in the heat of the sun... but THIS pink is AWESOME!!... and he does look more like albino as he has red eyes...

perhaps heīs not the pink dolphin variety but an albino... anyway heīs super cute!!

Freedom
03-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Fantastic!

blue
03-04-2009, 07:50 PM
they don't need the salt to breathe.

Kinda hard to breath salt water without gills. :D

Blue- bottlenose dolphins are saltwater dolphins, but there are kinds of freshwater dolphins too. I know that "Amazon River Dolphins" are freshwater dolphins and they're actually pink too. I don't think there are any dolphins that can live in both saltwater and freshwater though.

This bottlenose dolphin is living in saltwater according to the article.

Missed that part of the article somehow.

Didnt know about the Amazon River Dolphins.

Check here (http://calcasieucharters.com/index.cfm?act=imagegallery.cfm?name=Rare+Pink+Dolp hin+Photo+Gallery) for more pics of little pinky :)

I didnt think you could fish for Bottlenose dolphins.

ramanth
03-04-2009, 11:05 PM

According to that site, the pink dolphin was discovered in 2007.