PDA

View Full Version : Copenhagen these days... good grief!!

Randi
03-03-2009, 03:09 PM
There has been shootings going on around in Copenhagen for quite some time now, and we've had enough!! Two gangs are trying to wipe out each other, and members of them have started stopping and searching people for guns/knives/certain tatoos, even people who have nothing to do with them! They go for certain looks. The police say, don't object to it, just let them do it. :rolleyes: :mad:

But the following is appaling!! Just this morning, as I opened my window, I saw a police van on the corner of the street an wondered, what's going on? It turned out they were excorting a van that brought food to elderly people. :( :mad:

The stories can be read here in English, or below.
http://www.cphpost.dk/

Gang conflict halts meals on wheels service
Tuesday, 03 March 2009 10:35

Food deliveries to elderly people in the Nørrebro district of the city have been disrupted by threats from local gangs

The escalating conflict between the biker and immigrant gangs in the inner city has caused a Meals on Wheels company to stop delivering to elderly people in affected areas.

The Multi Trans food delivery company said yesterday that it had been threatened by local gang members not to visit the streets around the Nørrebro district.
Drivers for the company had already been accosted and threatened by youths carrying knives and guns last Thursday and Friday. After contacting the police, the company was advised to keep away from the area.

The City Council said that 19 elderly people had been affected by the withdrawal of the company and now the police are offering to help make sure the deliveries can go ahead.

‘If the gang elements in Nørrebro are trying to prevent food delivery companies from carrying out their work, then we will put a stop to it,’ said Per Larsen of the Copenhagen Police.

Justice Minister Brian Mikkelsen also backed the police involvement in the case.

‘This case completely oversteps all the boundaries of decency and shows that we have to do something with these completely unscrupulous gang members who have no consideration for elderly people who need their food,’ said Mikkelsen to public broadcaster DR.

The council said the police had reassured them about the safety of other workers in the area such as home helpers and visiting nurses.

British travellers warned of Nørrebro violence
Tuesday, 03 March 2009 13:32

The British Foreign & Commonwealth Office has advised travellers to be cautious when visiting areas affected by recent gang violence

The open street gang violence in Nørrebro has been highlighted in the latest travel warning from the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO).

The update on the FCO website, dated January, maintains that British citizens should ‘exercise extra caution’ when in the Nørrebro area as a result of the gang conflict. The site also maintained that there continues to be a general terrorist threat level against Denmark, as there is in many European countries.
The FCO warned that the recent spate of violence between the Hells Angels and minority gangs included shootings, but said they were localised to the criminal elements involved.

Since last summer there have been more than 60 street shootings in the Greater Copenhagen area, many of which have been linked to an on-going turf battle between the Hells Angels bikers and a number of different immigrant gangs.

The latest shooting occurred on Amager on Sunday evening when 30-year-old Anders Wehage was gunned down in Café Våren by two men of immigrant background. Three others were injured in the attack which was linked to the gang disputes, but it has emerged that neither the dead man nor the injured had any connections to the biker group.

pomtzu
03-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Wow - what's going on - everywhere??? And I thought the U.S. was so bad.....

I just heard on the news a couple of days ago, that they are advising U.S. college students going on Spring Break - to stay away from Mexico because of the violence toward tourists. If they do choose to go, they are being advised to stay in large groups and not just a few kids together. Pretty sad!

Nomilynn
03-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Right now, the gang violence in Vancouver is out of control. We are being called the crime capital of Canada. There was another shooting just last night in a residential area, and as of now there have been 4 innocent victims of mistaken identities. It's really sad and scary.

slick
03-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Right now, the gang violence in Vancouver is out of control. We are being called the crime capital of Canada. There was another shooting just last night in a residential area, and as of now there have been 4 innocent victims of mistaken identities. It's really sad and scary. Yeah, it's been quite scary. Most of the time the shootings take place in the middle of the night but there have been a couple of cases of shootings in the daytime - one was in the parking lot of a busy mall.:eek:

Stay safe Randi! :love:

slick
03-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Last night again....

Two gang related shootings and a third possible gang related shooting...all in different parts of town.

I wonder what would happen if we rounded up all the gangs, put them in a huge field and let them have at it???? They'd get it all over with at once and maybe the nights would be quieter. Well, I can dream can't I?

Randi
03-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks Slick, I WILL be safe! Doubt they'll go for old ladies like me. ;)

I wonder what would happen if we rounded up all the gangs, put them in a huge field and let them have at it???? They'd get it all over with at once and maybe the nights would be quieter.
I had a similar idea... put them all in a secluded island and let them have a go at each other - they might just learn to communicate on normal terms.

I wish guns had never been invented! Imagine the whole world without guns, wouldn't that be nice! :)

Karen
03-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks Slick, I WILL be safe! Doubt they'll go for old ladies like me. ;)

I had a similar idea... put them all in a secluded island and let them have a go at each other - they might just learn to communicate on normal terms.

I wish guns had never been invented! Imagine the whole world without guns, wouldn't that be nice! :)

Sadly, they'd just bash each other with rocks if we eliminated all other weapons! Before guns there were swords, bows and arrows, and on down the lines. Sigh.

Stay safe, Randi!

Randi
03-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks Karen! And yes, you're right, they would find other weapons to kill each other with. I just think it's an admission of failure that things like this can happen in the 21 century. It seems the world gets more and more violent - no one has respect for anybody or anything. :(

Medusa
03-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Oh Randi, how scary for you! Please stay safe, my dear friend. :love:

Nomilynn
03-04-2009, 02:04 PM
It is so scary here right now. There are two more people dead, a 3rd in critical condition and a 4th that was injured.

I personally don't care if people in gangs feel the need to shoot each other. What isn't fair, is the fact they are doing it in broad daylight and endangering innocent people who are just going about their business. It's a turf war, and I get that, but seriously - don't put other people in danger!!

I haven't changed my life in that I don't do things for fear of danger, but I certainly have changed how I react to certain situations, and as bad as it may be, I do make assumptions based on physical appearance, type of vehicle, etc. I don't like to stereotype but I also don't want to end up shot either.

Randi
03-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Thank you Mary! Although I'm not usually out and about in the evenings, it IS annoying to have to be careful and watch every step, but hopefully it ends soon.

Nomilyn, we know that they're not after us, but still, you could get caught in the crossfire - some were, and it IS scary. I hate to think that educated people with children may move out, then it will get worse. The politicians should try to live in these areas for a few months, then they just might get a move on!

I hope you'll be safe too - and you, Slick!

K9karen
03-04-2009, 11:16 PM
That's so heartbreaking. It's hard to be safe anywhere, anymore. I absolutely LOVED Copenhagen, it's one of my favorite cities.

Randi
03-05-2009, 06:01 AM
K9karen, I wish I had known you back then - what fun we would have had! :D Can you remember any places you went to in Copenhagen?

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-05-2009, 06:36 AM
OMG :eek::eek:!! Please stay safe Randi!!
So we will have to stay indoors during our stay in Copenhagen this August??

Randi
03-05-2009, 07:05 AM
LUt, don't worry, I'll look after you! ;) This whole thing is most likely under control by then.

cassiesmom
03-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Randi, this makes me so sad. I hope you are nowhere near the area where this is taking place. My mom and dad went to Denmark when I was in first grade. They earned part of the trip as an incentive through their business, so it cost them very little to go. They loved it and brought home a miniature figurine of the Little Mermaid statue that is still on their book case all these years later.

K9karen
03-08-2009, 11:40 PM
K9karen, I wish I had known you back then - what fun we would have had! :D Can you remember any places you went to in Copenhagen?

It was one of my travel agent special tours..gosh... 1985ish(?). Denmark, Norway and Sweden and I LOVED every single second.

Let's see if I can remember..of course the Mermaid, museums, an open, walkabout street center to shop and eat, lots of resturants. I have pictures somewhere in an album. If I come across it, I'll be more specific because I labeled the pictures. Beautiful people, fun city. It was a dream come true to be there!

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-09-2009, 05:25 AM
LUt, don't worry, I'll look after you! ;) This whole thing is most likely under control by then.

Yippie, I choose Fister as my personal bodygard :);)

Marigold2
03-09-2009, 07:45 PM
I had no idea Copenhagen had such a problem. I have always thought of it as a lovely place, romantic, safe, fun and full of culture and history. It's sounds like Cleveland. We just have five murders here. Two children, twins that were two, one five year old and two sisters.
Wishing all PT members and their family safety and warmth.

caseysmom
03-10-2009, 09:11 AM
I had no idea Copenhagen had such a problem. I have always thought of it as a lovely place, romantic, safe, fun and full of culture and history. It's sounds like Cleveland. We just have five murders here. Two children, twins that were two, one five year old and two sisters.
Wishing all PT members and their family safety and warmth.

From the posts I have seen it does seem that you have a lot of misconceptions of places, people and things based on outdated stereotypes.

Randi
03-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Cassiesmom, I'm very much in the area this is taking place, but it seems that the police have got the worst of them - at least I haven't heard of any shootings the last few few days. :)

K9Karen, Strøget was made into a walking street in 67, I think, and it still is. Copenhagen is actually a nice city, if only these gangs would stop the fights. Since late 60ties, a lot of immigrants have come here, mostly because of the possibility to get jobs and earn a lot more than they're used to, but times have changed and everything is getting harder, so now everyone is fighting for the jobs - immigrants and gang members for the dope market. We have a place called Christiania (see websites http://www.alltheweb.com/search?cat=web&cs=iso88591&q=christiania+%26+copenhagen&rys=0&itag=crv&_sb_lang=pref) where people have lived since early 70ties in peace... more or less. The police closed Pusher Street there last last year, and of course the dope dealing has moved to all sorts of location around town.

Lut, Fister is more like ly to hide under the bed than to protect you, but I'll make sure you don't visit the wrong places. AND.... now you'll even be able to speak Flemish with our new member, Caroline. :)

When you come back from London, Barcelona or LA, you tend to think of Copenhagen as a bit provincial, so don't worry! :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Lut, Fister is more like ly to hide under the bed than to protect you, but I'll make sure you don't visit the wrong places. AND.... now you'll even be able to speak Flemish with our new member, Caroline. :)

Oh Fister,you don't have to be scared of me, I am a "cat-aproved lady" :);)
Are you sure Randi that Caroline speaks Dutch? In Luxemburg most people speak either French, German, or "Luxemburg" :)

Randi
03-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Lut, she speaks Flemish, I don't know how different that is from Dutch. She lso speaks French and German.

Fister just may let you say Hi... if you don't speak too loud - or we can arrnge that I let him down before you come, then we can go down and sit in the yard for a while and even take some pics. ;)