PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in seeing my litterbox box?

boscibo
09-21-2002, 09:06 PM
Here it is:

http://home.attbi.com/~pattis_garden2/blog_litterbox.jpg

My boyfriend built it. I had an old one, but it only held 2 litterboxes, now I have 3 cats (and 3 litterboxes) so he built a new one. We got all the supplies at Menard's (a home/building supplies store). we got prefinished shelving for the sides (12" x 8') and panelling for the bottom (sold in 8' sheets) and glued and screwed the bottom to the sides. Total cost for the materials was $21. I know it looks like sand in the bottom, but it is masonite (I think) panelling - no grooves, just plain. The whole thing measures 3' x 5'.

Since my cat room is a spare bedroom, it has carpet. This litterbox box keeps kicked litter off the carpet. That is my new kitten Hanna, jumping out.

krazyaboutkatz
09-21-2002, 09:23 PM
Wow! That's a great idea if you have the room. I don't have the room for something like that. I only have 2 litterboxes similar to the far left and middle litterbox only larger. Your kitten is very cute too. Thanks for sharing. :)

Nomilynn
09-21-2002, 09:25 PM
I would love to have something like this that also has a lid.. I've seen it on the internet where the only way to get in and out is through a top opening and the cats have to walk over some lattice type stuff that shakes off a lot of the litter. If I find the picture I will post it. It's a really cool idea :D

AmberLee
09-21-2002, 09:32 PM
Wow!

That's a neat idea. I have splat mats* under both my litter boxes, but I like your box idea much better. I don't think I really have the room for it, though. I must think about this. GREAT idea. Thank you for sharing.

* The large one is sold to be under children's high chairs, the small one I made from a torn shower curtain... I can lift it and the litter goes back to the center of the mat where I can sweep it easily.

Nomilynn
09-21-2002, 09:50 PM
Here are the boxes I was thinking of:

http://www.pfprivy.com/upright_models.htm

** these images are huge and I don't know how to resize them, so if this doesn't work they are on the url above **

http://www.pfprivy.com/images/upright01.jpg
http://www.pfprivy.com/images/uprightopen.jpg

krazyaboutkatz
09-21-2002, 11:46 PM
Very interesting Nomilynn. They sure seem expensive though. Thanks for sharing the site. :)

Sam's My Baby
09-22-2002, 11:40 AM
Wow that is such a neat Idea! Your new kitty is so cute! Thanks for sharing!http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/wink.gif

C.C.'s Mom
09-22-2002, 11:44 AM
Wow! This is so nice! I'm saving a copy of that picture to build something like that myself one day (or have daddy do it of course, because I'm a proud owner of two left hands).

So much better than the piece of carpet we have now.

Rachel
09-22-2002, 12:17 PM
Please forgive a dumb question from someone who doesn't have cats. If you have three cats and three litter boxes, do they each choose to use the same box each time, that is each have their own box, or is it a matter of each cat making a selection each time which one to use, presumably the one that has not been recently used by someone else?

moosmom
09-22-2002, 01:14 PM
Boscibo,

What a great idea!! I use carpet remnants under each box. They're alot cheaper. Hanna is so cute!

Rachel,

The rule of thumb is one box for each cat. Now I have 6 cats. They don't automatically choose their own box. They all use them. When I first got to Michigan, before my furniture was delivered, I was in a small bedroom with only 2 boxes and my six cats. It worked out fine. But I'd rather have enough for all of them. I used to use 6 for 6. Since I've moved, I only have 4 now. As long as I scoop them everyday, which I do, and I have an air purifier in the kitty room, there's no problem.

I have seen the pieces of furniture that enclose the box and they're very nice if you have the room. But my cats have their own room so I chose to put the boxes in there.

Cataholic
09-22-2002, 01:42 PM
Rachel,
I have six cats and four boxes..and that seems like a good fit. I scoop EVERY day. I swear that sometimes it seems like one or two boxes get reserved for, uh, you know, special presents, while the other one or two are whatever ends up there. I will go down there sometimes and find one or two boxes nearly 'topped off' with the other one or two not used very much...go figure.

AmberLee
09-22-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
...find one or two boxes nearly 'topped off' with the other one or two not used very much...go figure.

Sometimes I really wonder what's going on. There is one box that is generally the 'favorite' to go in, yet some days it isn't used at all. Usually one is used for solids and one for liquid wastes, but that isn't consistant, either. Oh, well, it adds to the mystery of cat-companionship, doesn't it... And they must be mysterious, no matter what. [Cat rule #3, I think. ;)]

P.S. I heard the rule as one box per cat and a spare, so I have three boxes for two cats. It works here. I scoop daily. Down from twice a day during the kitten period. (Which was kind of stinky... sigh.)

Tina
09-22-2002, 06:13 PM
That's a really neat idea you came up with. Unforuntely I don't have that much room for something like that.

By the way your new kitten is really cute!!

Felicia's Mom
09-22-2002, 09:03 PM
That is great! I wish that I had the room for a box like that. The bathroom is the only room I can use. It is easier to clean the tile floor in there the the carpet that is in the rest of my appartment.

Fuzzy317
09-22-2002, 09:28 PM
We also have a "Cat Room". Thats where we have our 2 litter boxes (3 when we are on trips), and their food and water. We have a throw rug below the boxes, and when it collects enough litter, I take it outside to shake it out. There is a day bed for them to nap on. The room also has a "child gate" at the door, to keep the dogs out. The cats can go in there and escape from the dogs. Our foster cat, Livvy, spends most of her time in the Cat Room, under the day bed. :(

jenluckenbach
09-25-2002, 02:23 PM
that is such a great idea. I might do that for some of my boxes. I have 11 cats and 12 litter boxes. There is at least one box in every room in my house. I don't like the idea of the cats having to travel too far to find a potty when nature calls. They get scooped twice a day.

NoahsMommy
09-25-2002, 02:34 PM
Very cool! I may "steal" your idea when we move next Spring. Have you all seen this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/products/large/p_cat_8084_1218.jpg
They come in all different colors and there is a vinyl liner inside, along with a LITTER BOX! There is a door for them to go in and out. Fun huh?