PDA

View Full Version : Have you checked your credit report lately?

M&M's Mommy
03-02-2009, 05:11 PM
If you haven't, maybe you should..

I heard about identity theft all the time, but since I'm always careful it'll never ever happen to me, right? - WRONG!

Someone just posted $30,000+ into my Visa. :yikes::yikes::mad::mad:, and used my ID to try to obtain a new credit card. :mad:

So I call the three major credit report agencies, filed a police report, cancelled all my current accounts & reopened them... Is there anything else I should do??

The money was spend at the Mandalay Bay resort & hotel in Las Vegas!! Should I take the matter in my own hand & contact the hotel to see if they can ID the person (by means of security videos), or let the police/credit card company do it?

Sirrahsim
03-02-2009, 05:36 PM
My first thought was "Holy crap! You have over $30k credit limit":eek:

I'm glad that you caught it. It couldn't hurt to call the hotel and tell them about it but I don't think there is really much you can do except for let the police handle it.

Taz_Zoee
03-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Yikes!! That's scary!! Glad you were on top of it though.

My boyfriend can run my credit and I usually have him do it once a year. It's about time to do it again here.

kuhio98
03-02-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm so glad you caught it in time. My credit card has twice been used fraudulently within the past year. I have had to cancel my card and have a new one issued.

I check my credit card online every other day or so to make sure nothing unapproved has been charged.

The 2 times it's been used without my knowledge (I had the card in my possession) was after I bought books and magazines at the airport. I only use cash at the airport from now on.

kokopup
03-02-2009, 07:21 PM
I only have two credit cards, both with very high credit limits. I also
have Equifax monitoring my credit continuously and I'm notified, by email, if any changes occur over a certain dollar amount. If anyone applies for credit or inquires of my credit history I am also notified. With this service I have unlimited access to credit reports so I check mine every month or two.

You are protected by law against fraud ,so your liability is limited. If your identity is stolen a lot of damage can be done if action is not taken immediately. i monitor my credit very closely because over the years I have had a problem with other peoples credit ending up on my report. In all cases this was a negative. My name is one of the most common names in the US, maybe even the English speaking world. No it is not John Smith.

aTailOf2Kitties
03-02-2009, 08:10 PM
The problem is VISA. My bank debit/ATM card is through Visa and they (the bank) sent me a nice letter saying there was a security breach at Visa and info was compromised. I got a new card and PIN, but this is the 2nd time in about 4 years this has happened. Had a friend tell me she got the same notification from her bank (different one than mine, but still had Visa debit card).

Moesha
03-02-2009, 08:54 PM
My bank just replaced my Visa debit card also.

ramanth
03-02-2009, 10:52 PM
My bank just replaced my Visa debit card also.
Same here. Neither my Visa Debit or my Visa CC were used in error though. I check it often.

Edwina's Secretary
03-02-2009, 11:31 PM
I spend the money to have my credit monitored. It is annoying but worth the $17.00 a month.

K9karen
03-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Theresa, I'm not absolutely sure but I think that the Visa people contact the hotel. After all, you should get your account debited which means they're out of $30000. I pay a fee for Discover Card to monitor my accounts monthly with all 3 credit agencies. I'm so paranoid it's scary. I can afford the small fee to receive a monthly statement and keep my credit intact. I know you're entitled to a free one with the government, once a year. But the ones I get list every credit card, balance, usage etc. and credit score. I feel safer.
My name isn't very common, but yours isn't either. I think I would have had a heart attack. I hope you're OK

moosmom
03-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Um, no. I don't want to get too depressed.

Catlady711
03-03-2009, 04:50 PM
If you haven't, maybe you should..

I heard about identity theft all the time, but since I'm always careful it'll never ever happen to me, right? - WRONG!

Someone just posted $30,000+ into my Visa. :yikes::yikes::mad::mad:, and used my ID to try to obtain a new credit card. :mad:

So I call the three major credit report agencies, filed a police report, cancelled all my current accounts & reopened them... Is there anything else I should do??

The money was spend at the Mandalay Bay resort & hotel in Las Vegas!! Should I take the matter in my own hand & contact the hotel to see if they can ID the person (by means of security videos), or let the police/credit card company do it?

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs17a.htm

M&M's Mommy
03-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks for all your sympathy and support. The incident upsetted me to a terrible headache, sore throat and congested nose right now!! :(. While the police and credit card companies all told me that I'm lucky to find out right away... and since then have handled everything properly, and that there's nothing I can do right now but wait for them to investigate the case.

I'm glad I'm not liable for any of these charges, but I'm very upset thinking about the fact that someone is still out there with all my information, spending money they don't have like there's no tomorrow. It sinks my spirit that that someone can do something like that..

Anyway, the total money that were stolen between the two credit cards was ~46,000. Since most of the transactions happened in Vegas, where security cameras are everywhere, they're hoping to catch the suspect very soon.

Both credit card companies have assigned investigators to work on the case. I'll let you know if I have any updates.

In the mean time, please send some "get well soon" vibes my way. I think I'm coming down hard with a cold.. :(

Catlady711
03-04-2009, 05:31 PM
*sending get well vibes your way*