PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen this?

Medusa
02-27-2009, 02:16 PM
This woman, Grandma Clara, is now 93 and her grandson videotapes her as she reminisces about the Great Depression, then she cooks Depression meals, which are quite yummy, nutritious and easy to prepare. Give it a look. My apologies if you've already seen this. I just now became acquainted w/it. I think she'd be great w/her own show on the Food Network. With the economy in such sad shape, these recipes can really do the trick. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuMkW35BwK8&feature=channel

Randi
02-27-2009, 02:41 PM
We all should have got video clips of our granny's, but back then we didn't have a video recorder. :(

The meal that lady made is probably healthy and delicious, and definately cheap! I would have used fresh or frozen peas though, and put them in last.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Oh btw, there's already a cooking programme here where they make cheap meals - something like $2 a person.

lvpets2002
02-27-2009, 04:04 PM
:) Hey that was a neat idea of cooking.. I will just have to try that dish.. Looks yummy.. thanks mary

Medusa
02-27-2009, 04:04 PM
I would have used fresh or frozen peas though, and put them in last.

So would I but I think her point is that canned peas were/are cheaper and since she was cooking meals that were served in the Great Depression, she wanted to stay authentic. :)

Medusa
02-27-2009, 04:05 PM
:) Hey that was a neat idea of cooking.. I will just have to try that dish.. Looks yummy.. thanks mary

She has several dishes and videos that you can view. I've watched them and they all look pretty yummy. :)

kitten645
02-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Well it all looks yummy and I'd definately try some of them. I would definately say that they aren't really healthy! She says at one point that they were all fat because they lived on potatos and pasta! But I guess it all balances out with the preservatives and chemicals in our food today!
I love how low tech her kitchen is. LOL! She doesn't use a cutting board or Cusinart or anything other than a knife and a pot for the most part! Go Granny Go!
Claudia

ChrisH
02-28-2009, 04:59 AM
Oddly enough, just this morning I visited the JD board I belong to and there is a link to this wonderful lady's You Tube cooking cooking channel (Vague connection; The Depression>Public Enemies film :D) which has all her video recipes.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DepressionCooking

I haven't looked through them all yet, just the Peppers and Egg which I'm quite taken with. :)

happylabs
02-28-2009, 05:43 AM
She is awesome at 93! She must be doing something right. Anything that starts with potatoes and onions and then adds pasta must be yummy! :)