PDA

View Full Version : What do you think? re Bobby

Freedom
02-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Two years back, Bobby arrived here as a wee sickly kitten. We got him healthy just in time for summer -- and he got the ITCHIES!! He would scratch until he bled. He was covered with scabs. He was miserable, and I was a wreck trying to help him. For months we were regulars at the vet, went though food trials and various OTC anti histamines. Eventually, Bobby saw a Vet Allergist. Testing showed he is allergic to "summer" -- several types of trees, several types of grasses, and 2 types of mold. He is also allergic to fleas. I gave him Revolution but it made NO difference to him that year.

No idea on the mold, but we do have the trees and grasses in the area (either in my yard or in an abutting neighbor's yard).

Last May, I started giving him allergy shots. All summer, Bobby was fine: NO ITCHIES.

Then in September, Bobby decided he had ENOUGH of those shots, and he wiggled and . . . I gave myself the shot. I had a reaction and ended up in the ER. Although I was supposed to continue the shots, I stopped, and Bobby was fine.

So now I need to decide if I am going to start his shots again in May. I phoned the vet allergist today to get a new shot sheet (the schedule of when to administaer the shots. You start with a low dose, often, and work up to a higher dose, less often).

They are sending the sheet, BUT they cautioned me NOT to give him the shots. Seems if you have a reaction, the second time the reaction is more dramatic: faster, and more severe. Dad is not able to give the shots, or even help me, at this point.

They suggested I take Bobby to my vet for a tech to administer the shots. Yeah right, Bobby is NOT going to let me put him in a crate every other day for 3 weeks, then every 3rd day, and so forth. They also said I may find one of the vet techs willing to drop by here to give the shot, for a small fee.

It's not the fee. It's catching Bobby. I had to snag him at meal times, and he got so scittish he wouldn't come in the food room until I had left. Then I had to sneak in and slam the door, and chase him around the room a bit to catch him for his shot.

Should I wait and see if he does have the itchies again this year?
Should I give him the shots myself?
Should I see if one of the techs can come over, even if I can't catch him?
:confused::confused::confused:

The things we do for our fur kids!

jenluckenbach
02-26-2009, 08:33 PM
If you did the "wait and see", would it be harder to control than if you started the shots right away?

I would probably wait and see. Then I would probably end up giving the shots myself. After all, what are the odds that you would stick yourself AGAIN!?! Just be extra careful and DON'T give the shot if you don't feel absolutely comfortable (like if he is fussy extra bad that day). Try again later or the next day, even.

Moesha
02-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Can you wait and see if he gets the itchies and if he does, rather than give the shots, could you give him a steriod shot that would take care of his itchies and perhaps prevent them for a few more weeks? That might be enough to get you through the summer. Or he might need two of those, but it would still be easier than the alternative shots you described. I had a kitty that was allergic to something, I think we finally figured out it was food and certain kinds of litter, but when she would get these scabs and bumps all over her body, that's how it was treated until we found out what was causing it.

Freedom
02-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Moesha, we can't give Bobby the steroid shots as he is FIV positive. As his immune system is already compromised, none of the 3 vets he saw was willing to give him the steroid shot.

krazyaboutkatz
02-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Yes, you might want to wait and see what happens. Could a friend or a neighbor help you to give him the shots? I know you said he's skittish. Since I don't have any help with my cats, I've bought a cat sack and a few klaw kontrol bags. When you put the cat in these, they can't run away. They're great to use for giving meds or for trimming nails. I used one of these when I had to give Starr some vitamin B-12 shots. Here's the link to them: http://www.fourflags.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.3950/.f and http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3159. Good luck.:)

Medusa
02-27-2009, 06:08 AM
Moesha, we can't give Bobby the steroid shots as he is FIV positive. As his immune system is already compromised, none of the 3 vets he saw was willing to give him the steroid shot.

So I guess Prednisolone is out of the question, too, then, right? My Creamsicle has those same scabs from allergies and itches like crazy but the Pred caplets help her big time.

catmandu
02-27-2009, 08:37 AM
I ahve to give Juke Joint Joseph once a month, and I need the help of an AWA Lady as I would either hit a muscle or not get the needle in him , and waste the serum.
The trouble is our Vets a 20 drive away and Juke Joint Josephs not the happiest traveller!!:love::love:
I pray that his kidneys are getting better, but in all likley hood, My Gray and White Tuxedo will need shots for the rest of his life!!
:love::love::love:

Freedom
02-27-2009, 09:13 AM
I know you said he's skittish. Since I don't have any help with my cats, I've bought a cat sack and a few klaw kontrol bags. When you put the cat in these, they can't run away. They're great to use for giving meds or for trimming nails. I used one of these when I had to give Starr some vitamin B-12 shots.

Thanks for the info, and providing the links. I will definitely consider that as well.

The first part is catching him, so having a neighbor or vet tech come may be a waste of their time. I can't always get him when I want, have to wait a few hours and try again. It was fine with just me involved, I never considered it a "problem" last year. But having someone else stop by, well, just not sure.

The second part is giving HIM the shot, not me. :rolleyes: That is where the sacks you mention will help me. Super!

cassiesmom
02-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Bobby Bug, I think let's wait and see how it goes and if you get major itchies or not. Especially since the risk is higher with the second round of injections.

Lizzie
02-27-2009, 11:47 AM
I hope the sacks help you, but I have to say that I hope you don't try to give the shots yourself. I think it is possible that you could stick yourself a second time as I know that in spite of giving hundreds of sub-q fluids and injections, I'll still sometimes scrape my finger with the needle as the cat does an unexpectedly sudden buck and twist. A second shot could put you in anaphylactic shock and I don't think your father is in good enough health to keep you alive while waiting for an aid car. Good luck!

emily_the_spoiled
02-27-2009, 12:40 PM
I have no suggestiong about whether to give Bobby the shots or not. But if you do decide to do it yourself you should talk with your physician and get something called and "Epi Pen". This is for people who have severe anaphylactic allergic reactions to things. This would buy you enough time to get to the ER if the reaction was really bad. If you have drug coverage with your insurance, they are covered.

krazyaboutkatz
02-28-2009, 01:01 AM
Another thing that you could do to help protect yourself is to put on some rubber gloves. You may even want to put on a double layer. Then if you do stick yourself, hopefully it won't go through to your skin. You could buy the painting non latex gloves. They may be thicker than the other kind and you can buy them at OSH, Home Depot, or Lowes. Good luck.:)

CultureJunky
02-28-2009, 05:21 AM
Sandra I hope you find a solution to poor little bobby's predicament. I can't really offer any advice, other than if I lived next door to you I'd help! Doh

Catlady711
02-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Hmmm, that's a rough one. I guess if it was one of my cats I'd probably wait and see if it's even needed first.

If you had to give the shots could someone help you catch him if he was confined to a single room? That's about all I can think of as none of my cats are that diffuclt to catch so I don't have alot of experience with the more skittish ones.

Good luck either way and I hope things work out so you don't have to give the shots (to the cat or yourself).

Freedom
03-01-2009, 09:52 AM
. . . . and I hope things work out so you don't have to give the shots (to the cat or yourself).

:D:D:D

Thanks everyone for the ideas and the discussion. I think I WILL wait and see how he does.

phesina
03-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Sandie, what a dilemma! I think you are making the best choice, to wait to see what happens before making any further plans. And it looks like there are a lot of good suggestions here in that event.

I wish I still lived in Providence; I'd come over and help you with him! You don't want another trip to the ER yourself.

Best wishes to you and Bobby.