PDA

View Full Version : Water purifying pitchers.

RICHARD
02-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Does anyone own/purify their tap water?

I bought a PUR water pitcher and ir works well-actually, works fantastic.

I want to buy a larger one for the fridge, the pitcher only does a little more that a quart each time and I am looking to see if anyone has any experiences with the larger models.

I know about the faucet -screw on models-but would have to buy a whole new faucet assembly and I am a little leary of the condition of the pipes in the kitchen and afraid that the back pressure would case me problems!

Thanks!

Moesha
02-26-2009, 04:01 PM
I have a Brita water pitcher with filter.

kokopup
02-27-2009, 09:00 AM
I used the Code Blue filtered pitcher for a while. It selling point is the removal of arsenic from the water. I found out arsenic is not a problem
in our area so I now depend on the very good GE Culligan filter in my refrigerator. I just replace it every couple of months.

GE sells a wide range of reverse osmosis filters for under counter and
on counter uses.

Freedom
02-27-2009, 09:09 AM
I have used the Brita pitcher for over 15 years. LOVE IT!

My first ct, RB Amber, refused to drink tap water. I started buying bottled spring water for him; while I continued to use the tap water for me. :p My vet said many pets won't drink the water in our city, the chlorine level is just too high, they can smell it.

After a time, I got the Brita and have used that ever since. It is always in the fridge, full. I empty it to make a pitcher of ice tea, I refill it. I empty it to fill water fountains for the pets, I refill it. So it is always there ready, if I just want a drink of water.

beeniesmom
02-27-2009, 09:12 AM
I don't have the pitcher but a built in spicket in my kitchen faucet. We change the filter every 6 months. It's wonderful!

k9krazee
02-27-2009, 09:33 AM
I have 2 Brita water filters. I LOVE them! I bought one package of bottled water, and when the bottle's empty I refill it with my brita water. Works wonderfully, and I'm never in short supply (as long as I remember to refill right away, heh).

prechrswife
02-27-2009, 11:01 AM
We have a filtered pitcher that works well. I'm thinking it is made by DuPont, but I would have to go and look. We have had the faucet mounted style in the past, which I really prefer, but when the church remodeled our kitchen, the pretty new faucet they installed won't allow for a filter to be attached because of the shape. (I have to say, though, that the headache of dealing with the pitcher instead of the faucet filter is worth the trade-off of having a new kitchen.)

Medusa
02-27-2009, 01:21 PM
I have a Brita water pitcher that I use strictly for cooking. The water here is awful so I still can taste the bad stuff even w/the pitcher but for cooking it's fine.

phesina
02-27-2009, 06:16 PM
I've used a Brita filter pitcher for years and years (15? 20?).

Catty1
02-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Brita pitcher with generic cartridges! The boys and I all drink it!:D

Casper
02-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Add me to the list of people who use Brita! We only started using purified water about a year ago (we previously just drank bottled water) and I am extremely happy with it. Who knew a simple filter could make our terrible tap water taste wonderful? :)

kitten645
02-27-2009, 09:12 PM
I've got a Brita and would like to get a bigger one. Of course, my issue is with MY forgetting to fill it so I doubt a bigger one is going to solve THAT :rolleyes:
I did read a Consumer reports article that rated the Brita best and said filtered water is better than bottled:eek:
Claudia

blue
02-27-2009, 09:15 PM
I hav eone of the bigger Brita filters, cept I dont use it for water.

moosmom
02-28-2009, 08:43 AM
RICHARD,

I also have a Pur pitcher and love it. What I do is fill it, then transfer the filtered water into a 6 gallon jug with faucet (I bought it at Wal Mart). This way you always have drinkable water. It's worth the investment.

RICHARD
02-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Blue,
LOL, I think I know your secret!:D

Thanks,

THe water here in El Lay was supposedly voted the best tasting in the country.

After it rains it has a chlorine taste to it and now that I have filtered my drinking water thru the pitcher I can really taste the differnce.

I lived in Burbank for a while and because the have their own facilities the water really sucks big time. I did the bottled water thing for a while and got tired of that rather quickly, I just needed to have my back go out lifting the bottles.

I have even started to make my ice out of the water, I take tumblers and fill them a third of the way up, freeze them and they are ready for a cold drink, I just pour in the drink and do not have to worry about ice!
I can taste the difference in my drinks.

Thanks for all your comments!

Catlady711
02-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Our water has never tasted good and we've tried the water pitcher things without any sucess (still tasted nasty) and still had some floaties in it.

A couple years ago they changed where they get the source of our water from and things went from bad to worse if you can believe that.:eek: Now the water smells so strongly of bleach you'd think you were drinking clorox straight from the bottle, it had more foaties in it, and now leaves a reddish ring around anything it touches for a length of time (toilet, cat water bowl etc).

We decided that if it looked and smelled like that it couldn't possibly be fit to drink so we started boiling it. For filtering we cut down the top of a cone shaped coffee filter to fit a funnel and pour the water over into jugs we keep in the fridge.

No more nasty taste, no more red rings, no more bleach smell. The coffee filters are cheap and a good tea kettle isn't very expensive and has more than paid for itself. Now I find myself drinking water far more than I ever had in my whole life (which still isn't nearly enough though).

blue
02-28-2009, 09:50 PM
CatLady, are the lines under your sinks rubber and if they are how old are they?

My parents had problems with floaties in their water and it was the rubber connecting lines under the sinks.

Catlady711
03-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Not sure what the lines under the sink are made of to tell you the truth. I never paid any attention. If it's the ones I'm thinking of, then I think it's pvc, but I'll have to ask hubby on that.

I don't think the problem is my sink lines though because the water is like that at my mom's house, at my workplace, and at hubby's workplace (which is newer than all of them). I'm thinking our city just has cruddy tasting water.

RICHARD
03-05-2009, 05:26 PM
I have coupons for a PUR water products-5 dollars off a pitcher and two $1.00 off coupons for the replacement filters.

I bought my basic pitcher for 15.00 at Target - with the coupon, a pitcher would be around 10 dollars. A really good investment- the water tastes wonderful.

Let me know?