PDA

View Full Version : womens bathing suits

joycenalex
02-26-2009, 01:52 PM
yep, i know i'm starting this thread in february.:eek:. anyone think it's a bit odd to look for suits in midwinter? LOL i went on line to get a new suit, cause going to a store to try on suits is way too hard, emotionally. middle aged and self conscious in a dressing room isn't a good thing for me. mine came today from landsend www.landsend.com/pp/XbackSolidSkirtiniSwimsuit~193250_-1.html?cc=y&CM_MERCH=DTP_SEARCH_&action=DTP_SEARCH_&sku_0=::BLA&query=277051
love the skirt length on my legs and it fits my hips well, however , the top is a bit snug, so i'm gonna need a upsize. the price was really fair, compared the cost for this years' models. i'm too cheap to pay that much more for a bathing suit.
anyone else experience swimsuit drauma/trauma?

Moesha
02-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Me! Me!

I just purchased a swimsuit this week. I haven't purchased one in years. I don't really like the water much at all. But I'm going on vacation next week and figured that I should at least have one incase we go to a water park at Disney. Plus, we have a swimming pool and I figured I could use it if I decided to take the nieces or nephew out there this summer. I'd been looking at the It Figures! suits that QVC sells. I found one that I really liked on ebay that was new. I got it on Monday. I really, really like it, for a bathing suit that is, but even though I'm only 5'1" tall, I forgot that I have what swimwear counts as a long torso. Alas, my nice new suit digs into my shoulders. My sister may buy it from me. I guess I'll have to go skirtini shopping. How I hate that! Here is the one I purchased.

ETA: I just looked at yours. That's cute. I may have to order that!

pomtzu
02-26-2009, 02:18 PM
I don't worry too much about the suit - I just throw a short sarong wrap skirt over it - and that covers what I need covered! :eek:

cassiesmom
02-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Shopping for a swimsuit in February tells me you're heading for somewhere terrific! I've read great things about Lands' End swimsuits. They fit great and last forever.

I had a really good experience buying a swimsuit at Nordstrom prior to going on a Caribbean cruise (1995). I tried on every swimsuit they had in my "tentmaker" size (3 or 4 of them), and chose the best one. 2 summers ago (before a beach vacation in Michigan) I ordered one from a women's plus size catalogue -- it looks bad on me and fits even worse than it looks. I kept my T-shirt on most of the time!

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Oh no, you remind me that I have to go shopping for one too! Since I lost 26 pounds, my old suit is "a bit" to big now :) LOL!! I am not planning in going swimming a lot; but we will make a long cruise this summer, and I want to try those swimming pools they have on board :D;)

I love that suit you bought:love:!

joycenalex
02-26-2009, 04:01 PM
no, no trip, just water aerobics starting in early march, and the old suit was much too ratty. lands end and ll bean have overstocks/discounts on line, so look there too.

carole
02-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Nope have saved myself the drama, too body conscious to wear one, maybe soon though.

Daisy and Delilah
02-26-2009, 10:26 PM
I love both of those suits!!:D

Suki Wingy
02-26-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm not going anywhere but I am starting to look for a good one since I'll probably be wearing it every day during day camps. I want a one piece that has short bottoms kind of like these http://www.landsend.com/pp/AquaTerraBoyLegSwimBottom~191511_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::DAZ&CM_MERCH=IDX_00002__0000000134&origin=index

This is one I'm thinking about though I really don't want to pay that much.
http://www.landsend.com/pp/Fit2LastRacerbackTankSwimsuit~181601_593.html?bcc= y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BKC&CM_MERCH=IDX_00002__0000000135&origin=index

K9karen
02-26-2009, 11:10 PM
I LOVE everything Lands End. Yay!

But I found that buying a bathing suit online is hit or miss.
I know for a fact (:rolleyes:) that bathing suit makers purposely make them a size or 2 smaller than you'd normally take, in order to embarrass, frustrate, demoralize females. I don't know one guy who has that problem.

I bought 2 bathing suits from a shop called *Cameo* that specializes in cruisewear. I opted for a takini because I could mix and match the sizes. I had to go up 2 sizes for a more comfy fit. I could barely contain my screams in the fitting room, which actually had a mirror so I didn't have to come out in public. (a part of the conspiracy). I also bought a one piece black. Their prices are reasonable, especially off season.

The one you bought is really sweet. I'm restraining myself from opening the new L.E. catalogue at the moment. :p

Moesha
02-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Well, I ordered the same suit that was mentioned in the first post. AND...I after browsing the overstock section, I put together a true navy skirt and u shaped top. AND...also in that overstock section, I ordered a chain link top that will match both skirts. So I basically ordered 4 bathing suits. With shipping and tax I ended up paying $105. (I just looked, and I paid $20 for shipping and tax.) :( Not bad for 4 suits, but a ton for someone who doesn't swim. HAHAHA I must say that I went store to store two days this week and just could not find anything suitable. Thanks for the link! I hope you don't mind that we'll having matching suits.

catnapper
02-28-2009, 07:07 PM
I love Lands' End suits! That said, I haven't worn one for 7 years, and have no intentions of wearing one any day soon :p

joycenalex
03-01-2009, 03:22 PM
moesha, i'll take it as a compliment to my taste...sides i've seen a picture of you....you're a head turner;). carole, i'm really self conscious too, as i think back about previous pool visits, i cannot recall anyone but the very hairy man in a too small speedo, so i think most people won't recall me....especially if he's there

Moesha
03-04-2009, 10:30 PM
I received my new bathing suits today, just in time for vacation on Friday! I really like the chain print top that I got and I like both bottoms that I got to go with it. One of the bottoms is the one that matches the suit from the original post. I like it with that top also. The only thing I'm not crazy about is my navy bottom with the matching navy top. It isn't bad, but it's just a lot of navy! LOL Thanks again for the link. I finally have some nice quality suits that should last me several seasons, as long as I don't keep adding poundage!