PDA

View Full Version : Obama girls 'to have a water dog'

ChrisH
02-26-2009, 08:09 AM
US First Lady Michelle Obama wants to find a rescued Portuguese water dog as a pet for her daughters, People magazine has reported.

Sasha, 7, and Malia, 10, were promised a puppy by their father, Barack Obama, when he was elected president, as a reward for all they had coped with.

The water dog, which does not shed hair, could be less aggravating for Malia who suffers from allergies.

Mrs Obama told the magazine the family were hoping to get the puppy in April.
She said water dogs were temperamentally "pretty good". From the size perspective, they're sort of middle of the road - it's not small, but it's not a huge dog. And the folks that we know who own them have raved about them."

One of those people is veteran Senator Ted Kennedy, who owns two of the breed - Splash and Sunny. Splash even featured as narrator in Mr Kennedy's children's guide to US politics - My Senator and Me: A Dog's-Eye View of Washington, DC.

In January, Mr Kennedy said he was "proud to endorse the Portuguese water dog as the next First Dog of the United States. They have a can-do and hopeful spirit. They are smart. They are resilient. They are determined. They are optimistic. And they are tireless," he said. "Sounds like a perfect fit for the Obama Family and the Obama administration."

Frank or Moose

But Mrs Obama said the family had still not agreed on a name for the future pet. "There are names floating around and they're bad," she said. "Frank was one of them. Frank! Moose was another one," she said, adding that she had told her daughters to "work with the names a little bit".

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/americas/7911543.stm

Ramble On Rose
02-26-2009, 09:05 AM
My bro and sis-in-law have a PWD. They chose the breed due to allergies and they have had no problems with it. Nice dog.

MonicanHonda
02-26-2009, 03:33 PM
I kinda like the name Moose. Lol It's cute. Never actually seen a PWD in person before but I hope it works for them.

*LabLoverKEB*
02-26-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm glad they decided to go with a rescue PWD! I think that these dogs are great family dogs, and are very good natured!

Flatcoatluver
02-26-2009, 05:04 PM
I have always like portys. But they can be quite little handfuls. :) The best of luck to them, I know they will be great pet owners.

Casper
02-26-2009, 07:08 PM
I was pretty stoked to hear that they chose the Portuguese Water Dog. And even more happy that it will be rescued. :)

Best of luck to the Obamas and the lucky dog who ends up being the First Pooch!