PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice

Coda'sMommy
02-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Not sure where to post this. I am originally from Iowa, and have been in Canada for 8 months. I had to leave my most precious friend in Iowa with my mother. I saved Coda from a feral life at the tender age of 3 weeks, I bottle raised and SPOILED him to no end. I DESPERATELY want to get him up to Canada with me!! But I can't make a trip down to get him right now. It looks like it may be 2-3 yrs before I can go down to the states. Does anyone know of an inexpensive way to get him shipped up to me?? I have already looking into the airlines, they will be of no help to me (closest place he could board is a 3 hour drive for my mother...closest he can land in Canada is an 8 hour drive). Any suggestions in this would be greatly appreciated. http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff201/angel_2000_s29/l_ccf68160376e0de98897f8efd90f89d5.jpg This picture of him is when he weighed in at 16 pounds, my mother says he is much heavier now.

kb2yjx
02-25-2009, 06:09 PM
I am so sorry to read about your situation!! But, it sure sounds like you LOVE your boy!!! I sent a pm to someone who may give you a few ideas!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Coda'sMommy
02-25-2009, 06:14 PM
I hope to hear from them soon, being away from him this long has been tough.

Catty1
02-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Check this link, Roger: http://www.operationroger.rescuegroups.org/info/

Here's what they need: http://www.operationroger.rescuegroups.org/info/display?PageID=4378

They transport animals...see if they will help.

How far are you from the US border itself? You might have a much shorter drive than you think.

Other options: http://www.boomerangpetcarrier.com/

Also - ask your vet! Or your local Humane/SPCA. They may be able to help you!

I hope Coda is snuggled in your arms soon!

Coda'sMommy
02-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Well, I'm in Saskatoon, not certain, but think it's 8-10 hours to the US border. I'll look into both links you sent me and I appreciate it. Just wish I had family that would be coming up for a visit, that way he could just hitch a ride with them. But my mother (who is babysitting him) recently had back surgery, I don't see her flying or going for a long car ride either any time soon. When I came up here I thought getting him here would be much easier than it is proving to be. I thought i would have already been able to go back and get him, but financially that is out of the question for at least 2 yrs, which is WAY too long!!

Karen
02-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Well, I'm in Saskatoon, not certain, but think it's 8-10 hours to the US border. I'll look into both links you sent me and I appreciate it. Just wish I had family that would be coming up for a visit, that way he could just hitch a ride with them. But my mother (who is babysitting him) recently had back surgery, I don't see her flying or going for a long car ride either any time soon. When I came up here I thought getting him here would be much easier than it is proving to be. I thought i would have already been able to go back and get him, but financially that is out of the question for at least 2 yrs, which is WAY too long!!

Hmm, any other students from the US there that you know? Maybe someone knows someone who will be visiting ...

Coda'sMommy
02-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Well, I'm far past being a student...I'm an old woman who found love with a man that lives here. He too is a cat lover (he adopted one from the shelter a few months before i came up) which sealed the deal in my mind. Any man as sweet as this guy that is also a cat lover is a dream come true. His kitty is very spoiled and could use the friendship of my big baby. If I had known though that I would be away from Coda this long, I may not have come when I did. This is a pic of her, I think the two of them would make a great match, they are both spayed and neutered. But they would look great together.
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff201/angel_2000_s29/Heidionthebed.jpg

emily_the_spoiled
02-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Where is your mother located? My sister lives in Saskatoon and is thinking of coming down for a visit in April (I am in the DC area)....

SharkL8y
02-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Coda is absolutely beautiful. He looks so much like my dear departed Tonkinese. I had to move from Texas to California and be away from her for 9 months before I could come back to get her. My mom was keeping her and said that she kept waiting at the door for me. She would sit at the window and watch the cars and when a car the color of mine would pass by she would get excited and then sadly lay back down when they didn't stop. I cried so much when she told me this. I can definitely feel your sadness.
I wanted to wish you the best of luck with getting your darling back. I hope the 2 kitties will be best friends.

emily_the_spoiled
02-26-2009, 10:34 AM
I should have read your email closer, I didn't notice that your mother is in Iowa (a long way from DC). Northwest and Air Canada both fly into the Saskatoon airport, so you might be able to fly Coda into town. But I am not sure about on your mother's end of the trip.

phesina
02-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Emily, how is your sister making the trip from Saskatoon to DC and back?

Here's something she might consider doing if she's driving:

I just did a Mapquest map for driving from Saskatoon to Washington DC and back. The route cuts from Saskatchewan into the US in North Dakota, then southeast into and across Minnesota and Wisconsin to Chicago.. and the reverse on the way back.

Since Iowa is the next state south of Minnesota and west of Illinois, perhaps on return instead of going north to Wisconsin from Chicago she could go west straight across to wherever in Iowa, pick up Coda, then go northwest back across to Saskatchewan.

I did another Mapquest map for the return route from Washington DC through Iowa and then north to MN and on to Saskatoon. Looks like this adds roughly another 140 miles or so to the trip.

Oh, well, it's just a thought..

emily_the_spoiled
02-26-2009, 11:36 AM
She is flying (it is about a 3 day drive each way and she only has 1 week off).

But maybe if we can get Coda to an airport in Iowa she can be flown directly into Saskatoon...

Coda'sMommy
02-26-2009, 01:03 PM
I so wish that were the case...The only way that those airlines would fly him in (without me being on the plane) is as cargo. In other words, unless I am on the passenger plane he cannot ride on it. I checked into putting him on a cargo flight, to do that, my mother would have to drive him to either Chicago or to Omaha. Both directions are a bit far to drive for her with her recovery. Those Cargo planes do not fly to Saskatoon. In order for him to switch flights, I would have to be at the airport 8 hours from here to switch him (why i have no clue).

Karen
02-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Hmm, maybe post in craigslist or something looking for someone flying from Iowa to Saskatoon - I am sure people do it all the time, and see if you an find someone who would be willing to take a little extra "carry-on."

GILL
02-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Some times a flight attendant will transport. Go to the nearest airport and talk to them.
This week end we are supposed to do a 7 cat transport from Md. to Mass. I'll be handling the last few legs, Jersey to Mass., about 4 hours each way.
You might want to take a look at the SCAT people or one of the other transport groups.

emily_the_spoiled
02-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Does it have to be YOU at the airport to help Coda change flights? If he is flying into Calgary we have PT members living there and I have friends there. If someone else can be at the airport to authorize the switch to a plane for Saskatoon, that might take care of the Canadian end of the transport. Then we just have to figure out something for Iowa.

Coda'sMommy
02-26-2009, 03:15 PM
That part I don't know about but I can look into it. I think I really like the idea of checking into flight attendants that might move him for me. As much as I love him, I can't help but fear losing him forever by trying to get him up here. The Operation Roger is a great idea, but there is no guarantee of him arriving safely. And I really hope that he will be allowed to ride in a plane cabin....he has put on alot of weight since I left him with mom. He HAD a healthy diet of steamed veggies, real meat and fruits when he was with me, now it's just straight cat food. He also is not getting his daily tea. I of course checked with the vet to make sure his eating habits were ok, I think they were shocked that he loves fruits (especially bananas), but said it was a very good diet. He is the only cat I have ever allowed to eat from my plate while i'm eating. And he always went for my veggies first. As for my tea, he insisted on drinking from my glass BEFORE I did. How spoiled is that?!?! Thank you all sooo much for your support and suggestions. I am feeling much less stressed about it now that I know there just MIGHT be a way to get him here.

emily_the_spoiled
02-26-2009, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't worry to much about putting in cargo (especially if you do it during the summer). I have picked up two cats at Dulles International airport that came over from Bahrain (in the Middle East). They both had a layover in London and had to change planes, but their biggest issue was jet lag and getting used to colder climates.

Especially if it is a direct flight to Calgary you should not have any problems with it.

If we keep working on this I am sure we can figure out a way to get Coda up to Saskatoon.

Coda'sMommy
02-26-2009, 03:54 PM
My other real problem is I have to do this a cheaply as possible. I am up here on a Visitor's Visa (meaning I cannot work). As I am unable to work, I have very limited funds. My man works full time, but is a few years from being out of debt. I'm really hoping to get this done for under $250.00 which I'm sure between my mother and myself we could pull together. My comment on worrying about his safe arrival was pointed toward Operation Roger, which is a great idea, but it states clearly on their website that you cannot hold anyone resposible if the pet is injured or lost during transport.

emily_the_spoiled
02-26-2009, 04:05 PM
I think that we can manage this for under $250. Right now we just need to figure out the logistics and then we can investigate price.

Before we go any further, you should find out about whether YOU have to be the person in Calgary or can you have someone else sign for Coda. (I am assuming it is Calgary and not Edmonton that the plane would fly into.)

Coda'sMommy
02-26-2009, 04:50 PM
When I made the calls, before I left Iowa for here, my two departure airports for the cargo planes was Chicago and Omaha both 3 hour+ drives from Ottumwa, the closet landings for those cargo flights were Edmonton and Winnipeg both 8 hour+ drives from Saskatoon. I will have to look into whether it has to be ME that transfers him from that plane or not.

Coda'sMommy
02-26-2009, 11:24 PM
I posted an add at Craigs List, but they flagged it and took it down, although I'm not sure why. I've reposted the ad in a different area. Not really sure what area to post in for this. I'll have to make calls to the airlines tomorrow to find out about who has to be at the airport to transfer him from plane to plane.

emily_the_spoiled
02-27-2009, 08:19 AM
I also have a number of friends in Edmonton, so if the plane has to land there, I can ask one of them to help us.

If the airline will let someone else sign for Coda in Edmonton, then we might be able to arrange sometime of transport on the Iowa end.

Catty1
02-27-2009, 08:54 AM
I live close enough to the Calgary airport I could be of help.

I have plans to drive to Saskatoon (7 hrs) but not til spring...no date is nailed in stone yet. But depending on how things work out at the Iowa end, I could plan my trip around that. I'd be going for a 'long' weekend, so four days.

I'd take a 'water' break for Coda. Do you know if he likes or hates cars? I would use one of my own kitty carriers, cleaned out properly (they're only used 1 - 2 times a year).

Let me know.

Candace

Coda'sMommy
03-04-2009, 11:22 PM
The ad I posted on Craigs List got a reply! There is someone driving to within 3 hours of here! AND the guy is coming from within an hour of my mother's!! My fiancee's x-brother in law has offered to drive me to Regina to pick him up. I am hoping and praying that this works out. If it does I could be holding my spoiled baby by the 16th of March!! Thank you ALL for your wonderful advice and offers to help. Now I just need prayers that it will all fall together.

Catty1
03-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Prayers and fingers crossed!!! Do keep us posted! :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-05-2009, 06:15 AM
I just read the whole story!! Wow, I am crossing my fingers for Coday and you!! You will be reunited, yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

Coda'sMommy
03-05-2009, 03:55 PM
I have been on the phone with the guy who is helping set this all up. The young man who will be driving up is a student from Canada studying in the Iowa. His study visa is about to expire, so he must return to Canada. Could this have happened at a better time? I am praying that fate is finally smiling on me. And I hope that Coda is as happy to see me as I will be to see him, it has, after all been almost 9 months since I last saw him.

phesina
03-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Oh, this is just so nice and heart-warming!

Coda'sMommy
03-08-2009, 08:10 PM
I've ALWAYS had cats, but I've NEVER had this kind of situation. Now that Coda will be coming up here, how should I go about the introduction of him and Heidi? Usually when introducing a new cat into my house, I make sure my original cats know they are not being replaced. In this case, they will both feel they are the original cat! I've been away from Coda for 9 months, but during that 9 months Heidi has been only cat. She has been sleeping in the spot that has always been Coda's spot (curled right up against my left side).