PDA

View Full Version : Infant, 6 others shot at Mardi Gras parade

CountryWolf07
02-24-2009, 08:39 PM
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A Mardi Gras parade erupted into chaos on Fat Tuesday when a series of gunshots struck seven people, including a toddler. The child was not seriously injured and two suspects were in custody, police said.
The shootings happened near the Garden District about 1:40 p.m. after the last major parade of the celebration, Rex, had ended. A stream of truck floats that follow the parade were passing by when gunfire broke out.

"It sounded like a string of fireworks, so I knew it was more than one shooter," said Toni Labat, 29, a limousine company manager. She was with her two children, a 2-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl.

PAST COVERAGE: Mardi Gras keeps marching on
"Everybody was petrified. They hit the ground, the floats stopped, everybody on the floats ducked," Labat said.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Afghanistan | New Orleans | Air Force | Carnival | Mardi Gras | Garden District | St. Charles Avenue | Mark Brooks | Bob Young | Parry | Paramedics
Labat said one man dragged himself on the ground screaming for help after being wounded and another man was gasping for air and bleeding from his mouth.

Police spokesman Bob Young said the victims — three men ages 50, 33 and 20, two young women ages 20 and 17 and a 15-year-old boy — were taken to area hospitals. The conditions of all the victims were not immediately available, but Young said the 20-month-old baby was grazed by a bullet and not seriously hurt.

Dr. Jim Parry, 41, a surgeon who was with a gathering of doctors near the shooting site, ran over to tend to one man who he said had been shot in the abdomen. "He kept asking me, 'Was I shot? Was I shot?'"

Paramedics arrived and took over for the Air Force reservist.

"I'm off to Afghanistan this summer. Damn, this is more dangerous than Afghanistan," Parry said.

Two men, 19-year-old Mark Brooks and 18-year-old Louis Lazone, both of New Orleans, were each booked with seven counts of attempted first-degree murder. Brooks also faces a charge of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, Young said. It was not immediately known if the men had attorneys.

Three weapons believed used in the shooting were recovered, Young said. It was not immediately clear whether the gunfire was random or if the shooters were aiming for the victims or each other.

The violence along the oak-lined Uptown streetcar line marred what had been a generally peaceful day of revelry in which hundreds of thousands of people partied in the streets on the final day of Carnival. Another shooting was reported on Friday night after an argument, but otherwise, the event was generally problem-free.

Beau Beals, 45, said he was outside a house party on St. Charles Avenue when the shooting erupted. He said he and other revelers tossed children over a metal fence to get them to safety, but others kept waiting for beads and other trinkets being tossed from the floats as if nothing had happened.

"They had an ambulance out here picking the guy up off the street and people didn't stop vying for throws," Beals said.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

blue
02-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Who takes a toddler to Mardi Gras?

Laura's Babies
02-25-2009, 04:03 AM
Who takes a toddler to Mardi Gras?

Most of the parades are family oriented, it is in the French Quarter where things get wild and the kids shouldn't be taken. Children are at most of the parades and going to one is a family event. I took mine when they were young.. It is a ton of fun for the kids but now drugs and guns are rampant everywhere, that is SAD! SAD! SAD! New Orleans didn't need this kind of publicity!

This was all over the local news yesterday and it just made me SO MAD!

Edwina's Secretary
03-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Score SEVEN more for the guns!

At 1:00 in the afternoon. Sad...sad...sad...

blue
03-01-2009, 10:20 PM
You are a very sad person to take joy in anothers death to promote your beliefs.

Edwina's Secretary
03-02-2009, 09:54 AM
You are a very sad person to take joy in anothers death to promote your beliefs.

Show me where I take joy. I will have joy when this country wakes up to the horror of our gun saturated culture.

And when you find something better to do than make a nasty response to everything I post.

And when you learn something about accuracy. Whose death????

lizbud
03-02-2009, 10:06 AM

You want to talk about sad, try this.................(from the article)

"Beau Beals, 45, said he was outside a house party on St. Charles Avenue when the shooting erupted. He said he and other revelers tossed children over a metal fence to get them to safety, but others kept waiting for beads and other trinkets being tossed from the floats as if nothing had happened."

Edwina's Secretary
03-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Gunfire so common that children don't even react...sad indeed!

Over 90% of the guns being used in the horrific violence in the drug cartel wars in Mexico have been purchased in the United States.

Puckstop31
03-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Tragic...

But all the gun control laws in the world won't stop this stuff from happening. But better CRIMINAL control would.

blue
03-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Show me where I take joy. I will have joy when this country wakes up to the horror of our gun saturated culture.

And when you find something better to do than make a nasty response to everything I post.

And when you learn something about accuracy. Whose death????

If you wouldnt take a "see I told you so" stance at criminal acts involving firearms, be it a shooting or a death, I wouldnt have made that comment.

So you will be joyfull when stabbings are on the increase after guns are banned?

Everything you post? Get over yourself.

I earned my Expert Badge in marksmanship, Ild say Im pretty dang accurate.

Over 90% of the guns being used in the horrific violence in the drug cartel wars in Mexico have been purchased in the United States.

More like being supplied to the Mexican millitary from the US millitary and then sold to the cartels. The full auto firearms the cartels are using are not easily accesable in the USA.

Mexican gun laws are far more restrictive then the USA's yet they have a higher gun crime rate the we do.

Keep this in mind, Switzerland has firearms ingrained in their culture yet their gun crime rate is so low they dont even keep stats on it.

Even the botoxed Speaker of the House Pelosi has stated we need to enforce the laws we currently have, not another ban or more laws.

Edwina's Secretary
03-02-2009, 11:27 PM
I earned my Expert Badge in marksmanship, Ild say Im pretty dang accurate.

Not very accurate at answering questions. In whose death are you accusing me of taking joy?

If you are going to make a nasty accusation...would a little truth be too much to ask?

Shooting off your mouth and shooting a gun...interesting comparison....

blue
03-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Not very accurate at answering questions. In whose death are you accusing me of taking joy?

If you are going to make a nasty accusation...would a little truth be too much to ask?

Shooting off your mouth and shooting a gun...interesting comparison....

Reread my answer to your previous post, its there.

Edwina's Secretary
03-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Reread my answer to your previous post, its there.

Nope. No name. No person. No intelligent reference.

If you wouldnt take a "see I told you so" stance at criminal acts involving firearms, be it a shooting or a death, I wouldnt have made that comment.

So you will be joyfull when stabbings are on the increase after guns are banned?

Just because you say something is so...doesn't make it so.

blue
03-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Nope. No name. No person. No intelligent reference.

Just because you say something is so...doesn't make it so.

I answered your question, you didnt like it. You take joy in any death from an illegal firearm, because it contributes to your goal.

Keep shooting your mouth off, the masses will judge for themselves.

caseysmom
03-02-2009, 11:48 PM
I answered your question, you didnt like it. You take joy in any death from an illegal firearm, because it contributes to your goal.

Thats quit an accusation that you can't back up. Like ES said just cause you say it doesn't make it so.

blue
03-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Thats quit an accusation that you can't back up. Like ES said just cause you say it doesn't make it so.

Its "quite" by the way. Even my dyslexic a$$ knows that.

She cant back up anything she posts either. So your point is????

caseysmom
03-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Its "quite" by the way. Even my dyslexic a$$ knows that.

She cant back up anything she posts either. So your point is????

Wow pretty childish. I made a spelling error, thanks for changing the subject, especially considering your english is so perfect.

My point is what I said, learn to read if you don't get it.

blue
03-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Wow pretty childish. I made a spelling error, thanks for changing the subject, especially considering your english is so perfect.

My point is what I said, learn to read if you don't get it.

Your problem is Im the one who gets it.

More then 10 million firearms harmed nobody today.

caseysmom
03-03-2009, 12:05 AM
I have stated many times I have no problem with firearms...I just don't like bullies.

blue
03-03-2009, 12:10 AM
I have stated many times I have no problem with firearms...I just don't like bullies.

Bullies have kitchen knives, or hammers, or machettes. A bully dosent even need a weapon to kill.

An unarmed bully is just as deadly as an armed one.

caseysmom
03-03-2009, 12:14 AM
Bullies use words a lot too.

blue
03-03-2009, 12:16 AM
Bullies use words a lot too.

As you well know.

caseysmom
03-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Continue in the school yard, I have better things to do.

blue
03-03-2009, 12:25 AM
Continue in the school yard, I have better things to do.

You have proven otherwise.

lizbud
03-03-2009, 09:33 AM

So, it's ES's fault that you made a big boo boo??? Wow, it's clear that
you haven't even a passing knowledge of logic. Did you skip logic 101???

Grace
03-03-2009, 10:58 AM
A bully dosent even need a weapon to kill.

It is doesn't, by the way.

Puckstop31
03-03-2009, 02:09 PM
So, it's ES's fault that you made a big boo boo??? Wow, it's clear that
you haven't even a passing knowledge of logic. Did you skip logic 101???

Hello Pot... This is the Kettle.

:)

IF Blue admits he made a "boo boo", would you then concede to the massive amount of evidence that show gun control laws do almost nothing to curb violent crime?

Edwina's Secretary
03-03-2009, 02:27 PM

You are a liar. There is no death mentioned in this thead. There is no death in which I have EVER expressed joy. EVER

When you make crass, offensive, vulgar, and false statements about people...as you have done above about me...in the real world...I hope you are careful. There are people out there with guns.

Disagee with me...that is fair -- ugly lies -- that is something else.

Karen
03-03-2009, 02:46 PM
I am closing this thread, as it has just become an argument between the two of you, and far from the original post. Argue in PMs, if you must.