PDA

View Full Version : a couple questions about preterm labor

angelbow20
02-24-2009, 12:08 PM
My sister went into preterm labor yesterday and has to stay at the hospital a few days... They gave her a shot to help the babys lungs and also a shot to stop the labor.
Does anyone know how well the shots actually work?
She is 33 weeks along. Is that a safe time for the baby to be delivered?
I havent been able to talk to her so I have no idea whats going on. Hopefully later today I can go see her and see whats going on...thanks

beeniesmom
02-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Oh no. Hugs and prayers to you and for your sister. I hope she and the little one stays safe. I have no idea what the shot is and how effective it is.

DJFyrewolf36
02-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Nicholas was born at right around 32 weeks and he is just fine. He had to spend a few days in NICU but there is so much more doctors can do for babies now.

*HUGS* and good thoughts headed your way!

Karen
02-24-2009, 01:45 PM
The effectiveness of the treatment varies person to person, case to case. Here's hoping she and the baby stay safe!

finn's mom
02-24-2009, 05:38 PM
I have had friends and family deliver even earlier than that, and the babies just require more time and care in the hospital than a full term infant. There's always more risk involved in preterm, but medicine has advanced so much now that they truly do work miracles! I don't know anything about the shots, though, I'm sorry. I will be praying for your sister and her little one!

moosmom
02-24-2009, 06:13 PM
With the technology they have today, I don't see a problem. Hey, I was born 56 years ago after 36 weeks (about 2 months early) and I've lived to tell about it.

angelbow20
02-24-2009, 07:19 PM
thanks everyone! I went to see her tonight and she seems much better. She just has to hold off a few more weeks..

Lori Jordan
02-24-2009, 07:39 PM
I think she will do just fine,There is pro's and con's to everything.A friend of mine deliverd at 28 weeks..Kenzie is still smaller being 5 years old but she had done amazing considering the months she spent in the hospital.

Prayers for a safe delivery!

CountryWolf07
02-25-2009, 11:57 AM
I was 7 weeks early, at 2 lbs 5 oz.. and I'm still here. :)