PDA

View Full Version : Nutrish-Rachel Ray's new dog food line

caseysmom
02-23-2009, 09:15 PM
So here is the ingredients list

http://www.rachaelray.com/pets/nutrish.php

I am not sure of the corn gluten meal but everything else looks good, but it is sold near me at walmart, not sure why she picked walmart.

What do you think?

beeniesmom
02-24-2009, 11:55 AM
I don't know. I was actually thinking about trying it too. Since Frankie always has skin reactions to new food I try to keep them on the same food all the time. I do like the fact that all proceeds go to dog related charities. I may just have to buy a bag and see if they like it and hope Frankie doesn't break out from it.

MonicanHonda
02-24-2009, 12:02 PM
I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on it as well. If it does turn out to be a good food, maybe she's trying to get people to feed their dogs better food instead of the other walmart brands?

Ramble On Rose
02-25-2009, 12:18 PM
It's also sold at Meijer. I sent for a free sample from her website, but haven't gotten it yet. I'm interested in the price if it's less than what I feed now, I might try it.
I did see a you-tube video bashing it, i'll try to find it later. The people seemed like jerks who didn't know much, but just wanted to bash R.R. So I kind of scoffed at it. I think I just found it by searching for info on the food in general.

Flatcoatluver
02-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Beef, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Meal, Soybean Meal, Animal Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Corn Gluten Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Dehydrated Alfalfa, Dried Peas, Dried Tomatoes, Dried Carrots, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Olive Oil, Iron Oxide, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Dried Parsley, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Mixed Tocopherols, Niacin, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Folic Acid

I like that the first two ingredients are meat and not meat by-products. But personally I would never EVER feed my dogs something that has corn in it, especially when it in the first 5 ingredients. Beet pulp is another ingredient in it that I don't like. Also it says Animal fat, but it does not directly tell you what type of animal it is. I guess it's ok if the only dog food you can buy is Wal-Mart food. IMO If people have to feed there dog a grocery brand food; the only brand I have found that I like is Kirkland.

Also to add I find it weird that the chicken and veggies brand looks almost identical to her beef dog food.

Seravieve
02-25-2009, 02:09 PM
I like that the first two ingredients are meat and not meat by-products. But personally I would never EVER feed my dogs something that has corn in it, especially when it in the first 5 ingredients. Beet pulp is another ingredient in it that I don't like.

That's pretty much what I thought too.

I guess you could say it's better than a lot of other lower end dog foods.

caseysmom
02-25-2009, 02:48 PM
I like that the first two ingredients are meat and not meat by-products. But personally I would never EVER feed my dogs something that has corn in it, especially when it in the first 5 ingredients. Beet pulp is another ingredient in it that I don't like. Also it says Animal fat, but it does not directly tell you what type of animal it is. I guess it's ok if the only dog food you can buy is Wal-Mart food. IMO If people have to feed there dog a grocery brand food; the only brand I have found that I like is Kirkland.

Also to add I find it weird that the chicken and veggies brand looks almost identical to her beef dog food.

I like kirkland also, thats what I feed. The chicken in rice I found compares to california natural ingredients but the poops are not as firm so there must be more filler in the kirkland.

MonicanHonda
02-25-2009, 06:20 PM
I've never heard of Kirkland... Now I'm just interested in what you guys think is the best food for a reasonable price. (For me that would be about 28-30 dollars for a 35 pound bag....)

Flatcoatluver
02-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Well I think for a resonable bag of food is $40 for a 35lb bag. But I spent a lot more on my dogs food because they eat a combination of EVO and raw.

caseysmom
02-25-2009, 09:44 PM
Kirkland is costco's brand and in my opinion it has amazing ingredients for the price, I think I buy a 40 lb bag for maybe just over 20 dollars, I really don't remember how much it is.

Lori Jordan
02-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Kirkland is costco's brand and in my opinion it has amazing ingredients for the price, I think I buy a 40 lb bag for maybe just over 20 dollars, I really don't remember how much it is.

I also have my guys on Kirkland,It is a very good food imo.Here in Canada the price has gone up to nearly $40 dollars a bag..I find alot of the foods has gone up a friend feeds her dogs Dog Chow which she swears on being a great food,Last year it was around $23 dollars a bag and now its at $30.

MajesticCollies
02-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Here is an article I had published in a few collie news letter a few years back. Here is the ultimate diet for health. Take a look at my collies and see the difference compared with other dogs.

Importance of Proper Canine Diet
by Timothy Beard
Majestic Collies
Tri State Collie Rescue Volunteer

It has been said for years about what is the proper diet for your canine. Has it been followed since you read all those articles when you bought your first puppy? Live and learn is what I say and I have taken to long over the years to learn even from my childhood dogs. They die of hereditary diseases, they die early of cancer at the age of nine. Its time we all learn the proper diet not how just your dog looks but the diet formulated for the Immune system of your pet.
You heard the problems of commercial dog food. You try and read the ingredients of their contents. Is it right for your dog? The question is, is it right for your dogs Immune System? I have followed a specific diet now for years for my collies. The weight is maintained, their skin and coat are healthy and the unnoticeable of high Immune System and proper digestibility are being met. With this diet my collies, my fosters rarely see a vet appointment except for their annual immunizations. Fosters in need of health restoration require little conventional medications to cure themselves as the high Immune System Diet help cure naturally without side effects.
All Natural Diets or as some prefer to say “Holistic” are not a new way of feeding but just a forgotten one. Holistic health has been around for thousands of years utilized by people of all nationalities. We are recently applying this to our Canine Companions, watching them live longer and healthier lives by keeping their immune systems high with Raw and Holistic feedings.
To just touch on Raw for your Canines, it provides the natural Omegas, vitamins and protein needed in the canine diet. Please refer to this video at http://youtube.com/watch?v=DL2KluuiKck (http://youtube.com/watch?v=DL2KluuiKck) .
Another great article on the specifics of the Canine Immune System and diet can be read here. http://lowchensaustralia.com/health/immunenutrition.htm (http://lowchensaustralia.com/health/immunenutrition.htm) .
Each one of us can decide what is best for our canines diet through research from experts to friends. I am glad to be able to share my diet of my collies to you. Please try this diet for 1 month and physically see the difference in your companion. Please always feel free to email me any questions at [email protected] ([email protected]) .

The diet is as follows for my 60 to 80# Collies

Step 1 Raw 12 to 16 oz of chicken Serve in their bowl with step 2
Step 2 3 cups kibble ( I prefer Solid Gold Hunden Flocken Holistic Blend) used as a binder
2 cans Mackeral
5 tsp Solid Gold Seameal (Holistic Supplement made up of seven sea algeas which contain the daily doses of trace minerals and kelp and digestibility needs)
2 eggs, shell also
1# beef liver
1# Chicken Giblets
In a food processor combine all ingredients and process until smooth like canned dog food, Serve about 4 oz with their raw chicken and top with the below vitamins
500mg Vit C
400IU Vit E
Refrigerate in container to retain freshness
Best Wishes to you and your Canine Companions.
Timothy R. Beard

caseysmom
02-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Thats great but not practical for most people.

MajesticCollies
02-25-2009, 10:45 PM
I have toured Eukanuba and Iams dog food plant and the less kibble I put in my collies bellies the better. Nuff said. lol Scares me to death.

MajesticCollies
02-25-2009, 11:00 PM
No offense everyone but I am crazy about nutrition for my dogs. I will never go through watching my dogs die of cancer from commercial foods at young ages (twelve or below) ever again. Went through to many in my boy hood years and beyond until I researched for a long time about it. Just my pet peeve with nutrition. I am very comfortable about what I feed now in my heart. It's always a huge debate when it comes to dog food for sure.

caseysmom
02-25-2009, 11:05 PM
nobody is debating.

AllAmericanPUP
02-25-2009, 11:17 PM
her food is crap, maybe not as bad as ol roy and other store brands because it does have 2 meat sources as the first ingredients but it's still junk

IRescue452
02-25-2009, 11:52 PM
If you do the "how to grade your pet's food" test, this food gets a 79 C, which is right BELOW Alpo. Not a good thing.

I'd give it a D myself. I don't see anything good in the food to outweigh the bad. Bad is soy, alfalfa, corn, gluten, beet pulp. Good is chicken? Perhaps if we knew which part of the chicken that was. Tomatoes carrots and peas aren't exactly the most nutritious nor impressive vegetables to add to a food. They're right up there with cheap filler when you think about the fact that these vegies didn't pass the test for human quality.
I believe the food is extruded as well. That's a major no-no. Extruded foods are devoid of nutrition until the kibble is sprayed with a a fatty spray filled with artificial nutrients before being packaged. This spray stuff is not stable at all.

Scooter's Mom
02-26-2009, 01:38 AM
I have toured Eukanuba and Iams dog food plant and the less kibble I put in my collies bellies the better. Nuff said. lol Scares me to death.

I have toured Hills Brothers coffee plant and an Imperial Sugar plant. If you had, you wouldn't drink coffee again or use sugar for anything.

Sometimes you have to use your better judgement. :)

caseysmom
02-26-2009, 07:59 AM
I have toured Hills Brothers coffee plant and an Imperial Sugar plant. If you had, you wouldn't drink coffee again or use sugar for anything.

Sometimes you have to use your better judgement. :)

I agree we may feel the same about a lot of human food places too. Read fast food nation and never eat meat again!

Seravieve
02-26-2009, 08:57 AM
I've never heard of Kirkland... Now I'm just interested in what you guys think is the best food for a reasonable price. (For me that would be about 28-30 dollars for a 35 pound bag....)

I pay $35-38 (depending on if I can find a 5 off 20 coupon) for a 37.5 lb bag of Nature's Recipe Fish & Potato (Linky (http://naturesrecipe.com/recipe_detail.aspx?id=434)). It has no corn, no wheat, no beet pulp, no by-products... I think its a good food. And Eli scarfs it down, which is whats important.

Dogs can live on the lower grade kibbles.. When I was younger (15yrs ago), my dalmatian (RB) lived on Science Diet and then Kibbles N Bits and then Ol' Roy. We didn't know about dog foods and grades. She lived to be 14.5 before succumbing to cancer. Now that I'm the decision-maker, I would never ever feed those to any dog.

MonicanHonda
02-26-2009, 03:37 PM
I feed Honda Nutro Lrg Brd Senior. I agree, not the best food, but I think it's a pretty okay food for the price.

Seravieve
02-26-2009, 04:24 PM
I feed Honda Nutro Lrg Brd Senior. I agree, not the best food, but I think it's a pretty okay food for the price.

Yea, we used to feed Nutro about 2 years ago... That's around the time I really started looking into foods and ingredients to stay away from. Since Nutro has Corn and Beet Pulp, we decided to switch to something without those.. Eli also didnt like their puppy food at the time.. but he's picky. We then switched to Nutro Natural Choice but Bunny and Zeke lost a lot of weight while eating it.. so we switched again.

If Honda does well on it, then its good for her. =)

MonicanHonda
02-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Honda loves it. But then again, I could feed Honda anything. She has a stomach of steel. Crazy a** dog. Lol The switched the puppy to the puppy food from the cheap generic Kroger food. (The owners of her mother weren't the best pet owners. :-/ ) She seems to like it and her poops are more solid then when I got her. Maybe since Remy will eat less than Honda, I'll look into feeding a better brand. Who knows :) hehe

Flatcoatluver
02-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Honda loves it. But then again, I could feed Honda anything. She has a stomach of steel. Crazy a** dog. Lol The switched the puppy to the puppy food from the cheap generic Kroger food. (The owners of her mother weren't the best pet owners. :-/ ) She seems to like it and her poops are more solid then when I got her. Maybe since Remy will eat less than Honda, I'll look into feeding a better brand. Who knows :) hehe
You probably know this already, but you feed less food when they eat food that isn't full of fillers.

MonicanHonda
02-28-2009, 07:01 PM
I just meant that Remy is not going to weigh 60 pounds like Honda. Lol Remy is only going to get to about twenty five pounds... so I don't need to buy 40 pound bags of dog food at a time.

ramanth
03-01-2009, 11:10 PM
I was feeding Solid Gold Holistique Blendz, but they raised the price and it was just too rich for our budget.

I researched and found AvoDerm Lamb and Brown Rice was a reasonable price and had great ingredients that Chipper could handle. After only a month of feeding it, their poops are so tiny!! And Kia always just picked at the Solid Gold where as she's wolfing down the AvoDerm. I love it! :D

http://www.breeders-choice.com/dog_products/avodermdog_lr.htm