PDA

View Full Version : Sigh. Off to the vet w/2 of my Fur Posse; *update post #9*

Medusa
02-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Yodie's ear is bothering her again. It's seeping and smells awful! (I pray it isn't the ear polyp growing back.) I made an appt. for her w/Dr. Lee today, then noticed that Coco Puff wasn't in the midst of everything as usual so, after searching for him, I found him in the basement sleeping by himself. Not good. I took him in to Dr. Lee a couple of weeks ago for what I thought was sinusitis and the last time I took him in, a shot of Convenia fixed him right up. This time the effects from the shot lasted only briefly and now he's gurgly again and, obviously, not feeling well, so they're both going in today.

I'll probably have to take Creamsicle in tomorrow because she's got scabs on her back again. I've been giving her Prednisolone every 3 days faithfully but she'll probably need a depo shot. Great timing. I'm having more work done on my house so the outlay of cash isn't exactly what I was looking forward to. But I've gotta take care of the Fur Posse, so no sense in complaining but I will ask that you remember them in your prayers. I may be able to up Cgirl's dosage to daily rather than take her in to Dr. Lee unless she gets worse, so that's something, I guess. I just don't want my furkids to be sick. :(

Feast or famine around here! Pix from l. to r.: Yodie, Coco Puff and Creamsicle.

Laura's Babies
02-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Aww Gee! What do these things happen when money is so tight?! Every notice that? Or to more than one!? I just took Samantha and Chester in last week for their annuals and today I get the notice that Boo is due for hers! :rolleyes: If I'd known/realized... I could have had 1 appointment do for ALL!

I hope your posse gets to feeling better soon!

Vermontcat
02-23-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm sorry to hear that some of your kitties aren't feeling well and have to see the vet.
I just posted a few new photos of Milly, maybe seeing them will make Coco Puff feel better.;)

lvpets2002
02-23-2009, 12:47 PM
:( I am sorry to hear your babies are not feeling well.. Good Luck at the Vets.. I hope it is minor stuff & maybe a med or two.. Sending Lots of PT Positive Vibes & Prayers & Huggss..

cassiesmom
02-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Prayers for Yodie, Creamsicle and Coco Puff and their Meowmie!

moosmom
02-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Mary,

Has the vet ruled out a yeast infection? MooShoo gets them alot because he has no fur to prevent the dirt from going into his ears. I can always tell when he has one because it has a distinct smell. Good luck. Poor kitty. Keep us posted.

phesina
02-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Prayers for you and your three babies that whatever is going on can be fixed without too much trouble or expense. Be well, Yodie, Coco Puff, and Creamsicle!

jenluckenbach
02-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Prayers and best wishes sent to all the babies.

Medusa
02-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Yodie has a pseudomonas infection in her ear, which she has had before. Dr. Lee is hoping that Zeniquin and a daily ear wash will take care of it. If it keeps coming back, she'll have to be sedated so that he can look in her throat and see if a polyp has formed somewhere that he can't see. He didn't see one when he examined her today. Her ear smelled so bad that even Dr. Lee winced. When Yodie shook her head, all kinds of nasty stuff flew out of her ear.

Coco Puff got another Convenia injection and a depo shot, too. The sinusitis is being stubborn this time.

Creamsicle is to take the Prednisolone twice a day for 5 days, then once a day for 5 days, then every other day, unless the scabs get worse or don't clear up. Then she'll have to get a depo shot, too.

You should've heard Yodie when I put her in the carrier. She sounded like a mountain lion! As soon as we got into the car, though, she burrowed into her blankie and I didn't hear another peep out of her. She was good in the vet's office, too, which was surprising. So was Coco Puff but he's always a good boy there.

So, that's it. Complications averted for now and hopefully forever. Thanx for the good wishes and prayers. :)

Laura's Babies
02-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Ok, now, do you have any grocery money left? LOL! Glad it was a easy enough fix for all. Happy Pilling with Creamsicle!

wolflady
02-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Oh goodness, why is it that when things are tight everything happens? I'm glad everything went ok. That ear infection sounds terrible! Hopefully the meds will clear it up! Healing vibes along the way for everyone! :love:

pomtzu
02-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Glad to hear the furkids are okay. If only they could tell us when something's not right.

Myndi went 2 weeks ago for her check of her heart murmur - no change and no fluid, so that was great. She got a Depo shot for her itchies. This past week she started with some inappropriate peeing in the house and I'm thinking maybe a UTI, so Doc said to bring her back in tomorrow. Of course - it's the end of the month and funds a VERY low, so I know what you're saying! :eek: Never fails........

Medusa
02-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Ok, now, do you have any grocery money left? LOL! Glad it was a easy enough fix for all. Happy Pilling with Creamsicle!

You would know better than most, Laura, how fun and easy it is to pill a CH baby. Plus she always gives me the most pathetic look as if I'm punishing her for something, her little head bobbing back and forth. Actually, Yodie is the one who is the most difficult to administer any type of meds, that's if I can even catch her. Clipping claws is fun, too. I feel so mean but I have to wait til she's asleep, then clip two or three claws before she wakes up. After that, forget it. I've never clipped her hind claws because she bites and scratches, so when she goes in to the vet, I have them do it but they charge me $8.50. My old vet always clipped claws as a courtesy. Ah well, Dr. Lee is the man, so I'm not really complaining.

Medusa
02-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Glad to hear the furkids are okay. If only they could tell us when something's not right.

Myndi went 2 weeks ago for her check of her heart murmur - no change and no fluid, so that was great. She got a Depo shot for her itchies. This past week she started with some inappropriate peeing in the house and I'm thinking maybe a UTI, so Doc said to bring her back in tomorrow. Of course - it's the end of the month and funds a VERY low, so I know what you're saying! :eek: Never fails........

Believe me, Yodie didn't have to tell me. I could smell it. Yuk! W/Coco Puff, I could hear it because he sounds like a little piglet when he breathes. And w/Creamsicle I can feel it because her back is all scabby. (Ok, I'm making myself gag here. Sorry.)

Sorry about Myndi, too. I sure hope she gets fixed up quick. I don't want my fur niece to be sick either. They seem to know when we have more month than money left and if they hear that I'm planning a project, it's almost guaranteed that they'll draw whiskers (instead of straws) to see whose turn it is to go to the vet. For a while there, they all lucked out because my little Puddy was the one who was going all the time and eating up the budget. Then it was Pidge. So now I guess the rest of the Fur Posse have to chip in. Now if they'd only get jobs.....

snowbelle15
02-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Glad to hear the kitties visit went while. Hope they feel better.

phesina
02-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Sounds like the vet trip went well for all three.. relatively well, anyway.. Good luck with the pilling!

orangemm
02-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Ah yes, the dreaded vet trip! Been there, done that.:rolleyes:

Just when you think things are under control, they veer out of control!

I'm glad everyone is fixed up and praying they will be feeling better soon.

Have you tried the Pill Pockets? We had great success with our Binky; he gobbled them up, no problem. Otherwise it could have been very ugly.:mad::(

Medusa
02-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Have you tried the Pill Pockets?(

I have but, unfortunately, Creamsicle is allergic to just about everything. She won't eat them anyhow. All she'll eat is Purina Cat Chow. Period. LOL

katladyd
02-23-2009, 05:04 PM
My cat, Ming, gets meds on a daily basis and will for the rest of his life. He's fine, just subject to FLUTD, which the meds control very well. He used to scratch, bite, and leave me bleeding everytime I gave him a pill. He would not touch the Pill Pockets, but I came up with a solution that works. I wrap the pill in a little bit of the Pill Pocket and then have my son hold the cat. We pet him and give him scritichies while we talk very nicely to him. Guess what? The pill goes down without a struggle at all! This has been going on for over two weeks and it makes such a big difference! If I don't get uptight about pill time, Ming doesn't either. Try this and see if it works for you.

catmandu
02-23-2009, 05:37 PM
We are glad that that Vet Trip went reasonably well.
I am going to have to gather up Ebony Tubster for shots and neutering, I hope that the Big Fellow takes to being caged better than I think that he may.:love::love:
We are praying for Your Dear Fur Companions that the meds will restore them to Purrfect Health SOON!!!
:love::love::love::love::love:

Medusa
02-23-2009, 05:45 PM
My cat, Ming, gets meds on a daily basis and will for the rest of his life. He's fine, just subject to FLUTD, which the meds control very well. He used to scratch, bite, and leave me bleeding everytime I gave him a pill. He would not touch the Pill Pockets, but I came up with a solution that works. I wrap the pill in a little bit of the Pill Pocket and then have my son hold the cat. We pet him and give him scritichies while we talk very nicely to him. Guess what? The pill goes down without a struggle at all! This has been going on for over two weeks and it makes such a big difference! If I don't get uptight about pill time, Ming doesn't either. Try this and see if it works for you.

My son lives a couple of thousand miles away. I'm pretty sure he won't want to make the commute every day. LOL Just messin' w/ya. I live alone so it's all up to me. I'm pretty good at pilling, actually. They know that they'll get a Greenie treat afterwards (except for Cgirl; she gets a piece of Cat Chow and thinks it's a treat ;) )

Catlady711
02-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Sorry to hear that 3 of your 'fur posse' are having issues. I hope they all get to feeling better very soon.

Pseudomonas is quite nasty, both in smell and the difficulty in treating. Zenaquin is a fairly potent antibiotic and hopefully will take care of things after a round or two. Did the vet do a culture on it? Anyways just make sure to wash your hands good after messing with the ears and you might want to keep any elderly or very young people away from Yodie for awhile, or anyone with cuts on their skin. Pseudomonas can be contagious to humans, although usually the groups I mentioned are the ones in the highest risk group if they do get it.

Conviena is great stuff, sure beats shoving meds down them doesn't it!:)

Give all your babies a hug and some petting for me.

Medusa
02-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Pseudomonas is quite nasty, both in smell and the difficulty in treating. Zenaquin is a fairly potent antibiotic and hopefully will take care of things after a round or two. Did the vet do a culture on it? Anyways just make sure to wash your hands good after messing with the ears and you might want to keep any elderly or very young people away from Yodie for awhile, or anyone with cuts on their skin. Pseudomonas can be contagious to humans, although usually the groups I mentioned are the ones in the highest risk group if they do get it.

Conviena is great stuff, sure beats shoving meds down them doesn't it!:)

Give all your babies a hug and some petting for me.

He didn't do a culture this time but he did one before and he's certain that it's the same thing again. I'm glad you told me about the contagion risks, thank you. No kids here or elderly (unless you count me, LOL) He didn't mention it to me.

Yes, Convenia is definitely "convenient". I'll opt for it any day.

Consider the Fur Posse hugged and petted. If I can catch them, that is. Now that they know they're going to be getting daily meds, the herd has definitely thinned. LOL

Catlady711
02-23-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm glad you told me about the contagion risks, thank you. No kids here or elderly (unless you count me, LOL) He didn't mention it to me.

Hmmm, at the hospital I work at it's standard practice to warn of possible (even if slim) chances of contagious things. Many of these type things are already present in the environment all the time anyways (staph, pseudomonus etc) however it can enter through a break in the skin and cause problems, in people with weakened immune systems (and typically elderly) and in young children (putting hands around eyes/nose/mouth without handwashing).

http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/extra_risk.htm

Pseudomonus can commonly be found in contaminated water, even in public pools, but may also be found in ground water, ponds, ditches etc.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00000126.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyswimming/derm.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyswimming/swimmers_ear.htm

As long as you keep your hands washed and out of your mouth, eyes, nose when doing Yodie's ears, and don't have open cuts you should be fine if you're a healthy adult.

I've worked around this stuff for 8 years now and have never gotten it myself so it's not something you should lose sleep over.;):)

krazyaboutkatz
02-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Mary, I'm sorry to hear that your some of your fur posse is sick.:( I hope that the meds will work well for them and that they'll all be feeling better very soon.:)

Medusa
02-24-2009, 05:35 AM
Hmmm, at the hospital I work at it's standard practice to warn of possible (even if slim) chances of contagious things. Many of these type things are already present in the environment all the time anyways (staph, pseudomonus etc) however it can enter through a break in the skin and cause problems, in people with weakened immune systems (and typically elderly) and in young children (putting hands around eyes/nose/mouth without handwashing).

http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/extra_risk.htm

Pseudomonus can commonly be found in contaminated water, even in public pools, but may also be found in ground water, ponds, ditches etc.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00000126.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyswimming/derm.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyswimming/swimmers_ear.htm

As long as you keep your hands washed and out of your mouth, eyes, nose when doing Yodie's ears, and don't have open cuts you should be fine if you're a healthy adult.

I've worked around this stuff for 8 years now and have never gotten it myself so it's not something you should lose sleep over.;):)

I do have a compromised immune system but I'm fanatical about washing my hands dozens of times a day because of having 6 cats. I'm going to be extra cautious anyhow. I'm going to mention this to my vet, though. He's usually on the ball, although I could tell yesterday he was out of sorts. He has some serious, very serious health issues of his own. Thank you again. :)

cassiesmom
02-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Hugs and snuggles to the healing Fur Posse and their Meowmie!

Anikaca77
02-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Prays that your babies soon start feeling better.

I will keep them in my prays.

Melissa