PDA

View Full Version : Interview at a Vet Clinic

turner
09-21-2002, 09:09 AM
On Wednesday I have an interview at a vet clinic for a Receptionist. She said I would also be helping the vet and the vet tech. I am soooo excited. Its a little drop in pay from the job I have now. But if I can just get my foot in the door it would be great! I have always wanted to work around animals and people that have animals. I also still want to go back to school to become a vet tech and maybe if I get this job, that will be my chance.

Rachel
09-21-2002, 09:25 AM
Congratulations on your interview. This would be an excellent opportunity to not only get your foot in the door but to evaluate whether to pursue this as a career. Sometimes I wonder if a few of the receptionists at our clinic even have a pet of their own as they seem to have little understanding of what a traumatic or exciting event going to the vet is for those of us that do. Let us know how it goes.

mugsy
09-21-2002, 09:48 AM
Good luck!! Maybe if the vet's office is big enough they might even help pay for your schooling, if you're willing to come back and work there when you're finished. Definitely let us know how it goes. We'll be thinking of you.

Rottieluver45
09-21-2002, 09:58 AM
Good luck!! I`m Crossing my fingers! :D

lynnestankard
09-21-2002, 10:03 AM
Good Luck with the new job interview. Hope all goes well.

Lynne

Albea
09-21-2002, 10:06 AM
That's great news! And what a good introduction to your future career. Congratulations!!!

lovemymaltese
09-21-2002, 10:12 AM
that would be a great job, good luck!

AmberLee
09-21-2002, 10:36 AM
I will be thinking of you and saying prayers for you between now and Wednesday. Good luck at the interview.

Karen
09-21-2002, 10:45 AM
How exciting - I am sure everyone will be keeping their fingers - or toes, or claws - crossed for you!

trisha0503
09-21-2002, 11:23 AM
We wish you the best of luck!!! All paws will be crossed for you ! ;) ;) Keep us posted !:)

ChrisH
09-21-2002, 12:22 PM
We wish you Good Luck with the job interview. Bob, Bonnie and I will have our paws/claws/fingers & toes crossed for you. :) Please keep us posted.

anna_66
09-21-2002, 12:28 PM
Good luck, hope everything works out for you!

krazyaboutkatz
09-22-2002, 01:19 AM
Good luck. I sure hope that you get the job. :)

shais_mom
09-22-2002, 01:49 AM
Congratulations!!!!!
good luck!

turner
09-22-2002, 03:09 PM
Thank you everyone. Now I just have to figure out if my husband and I can afford me to have a drop in my pay. I was figuring it out, and its more than just a little drop in pay. I make $13.17/hr in my current job and the vet clinic only pays $10/hr. I am trying to figure out where we can cut costs!!!

Miss Meow
09-22-2002, 05:48 PM
Best of luck for the interview :D Sounds like a fantastic job.

neko1
09-22-2002, 07:41 PM
I've worked for a vet for over 2 years now and I love it!! You will learn a lot working behind the scenes. Hopefully you won't get stuck up in reception all day-that's the most boring part in my opinion. I love working in the pharmacy and helping out the doctor in the exam rooms. I also love assisting in surgery, doing x-rays, and taking care of the animals in the ward. :)
Unfortunately this field is a very low paying field to work in. It really amazes me how a cashier at home depot could make more than a vet tech who is saving animal's lives. But if you really love your job, it's so worth it, so good luck!!

catchat
09-22-2002, 08:32 PM
congratulations! the very best of luck to you! keep us posted.:)

AmberLee
09-22-2002, 08:42 PM
Ouch. That is a pretty big drop in hourly rate. Are the hours comparable? What about commute time? While you are interviewing scope out the non-financial factors like coworkers personalities, the 'feel' of the place...

Now I'm not sure if I'm as excited for you as I was... keep us posted, please.

Hmmm, is there any chance for overtime? Would you welcome it for the monitary help or would it be a pain for the scheduling it requires? Or a mix?

turner
09-23-2002, 09:50 AM
The commute is more of a pain in the butt. Not sure if there is overtime and not sure what the hrs are yet! Those will be some of the questions I'm going to ask. I really want to take the job if its offered to me.......BUT the big problem is the drop in pay and I don't think they will come up any. I can always ask though.

I don't understand why its such a low paying field, when our vet bills are very expensive and we are saving lives (just like doctors do for humans)! But I guess if you want to get paid good you have to be THE VET. I have to figure it out by Wednesday, just in case they offer me the job. I don't really want to pass it up, but then again It may kill us money wise.

jackiesdaisy1935
09-23-2002, 10:20 AM
How exciting, sometimes when you are doing what you love is more important than the money. It would seem to open the door to a new career for you and maybe as one said they may help you with your schooling. Good Luck to you, I know the animals will be the better for having you there.
Jackie

Sudilar
09-23-2002, 10:29 AM
I agree with Jackie. Sometimes doing the job you love is better than the monetary benefits. Maybe in the future, there would be a raise?? Maybe, after you get your foot in the door and some schooling, you can go elsewhere that pays more?? Good luck to you.

lovemymaltese
09-23-2002, 11:40 AM
Best of luck I hope that it all works out for you and your husband.

lv4dogs
09-23-2002, 01:16 PM
The whole field is fairly low paying. Even the vets do not make a whole lot (especially compared to human dr's). And yes the reason I do it is because I LOVE the job, to me it is much better getting paid less & loving your job than working somewhere miserable and geting paid more! Also knowing that you are helping save lives and help w/ training & behavioral problems that helps the owner keep the animal Is the best feeling. Some things to consider like listed above is to find out what & how many hours & if overtime is available? Also if you have receptionist experience try to get a little more an hour. Also my vet covers most of the treatments & vaccines etc.. for my pets and the rescues I help, which saves me AT LEAST $4000.00 a year. Good luck no matter what your decision is!

turner
09-25-2002, 09:54 PM
I had my interview today. I think it went very well. I would be doing more than I expected. I would help out at the front desk but also help with getting the surgery room ready, doing x-rays, helping with the blood work and the vaccines. Getting the prescriptions, cleaning the exam rooms and filing. So I would be right in there! It sounds very exciting. They will have an answer by monday and are calling the 4 people they want back for "a day working at the vet" to see if we like it and also if they like us. The commute isn't as far as I expected only took me 15min from my current work, so from home it would take about 20 to 25min. And I found out that after 3mths, you get a review and a raise if deserved of course.

I think I would enjoy it very much. I also got a tour when the interview was finished.

AmberLee
09-25-2002, 09:58 PM
You sounds excited about the possibilities. I'll keep my fingers crossed (and Cassy and Livvy their paws) that you are one of the 4 called back. Good Luck!!!

krazyaboutkatz
09-25-2002, 10:25 PM
This really sounds like a great opportunity. I sure hope that you're one of the four that get called back. :)

lynnestankard
09-26-2002, 03:53 AM
Fingers crossed over here Turner - you sound so excited I DO hope you get this job. (Cats have got their paws crossed too!!)

Lynne

neko1
09-26-2002, 05:48 AM
I think you will love it! I know I do! I can't imagine doing anything else!

anna_66
09-26-2002, 07:23 AM
Sounds like you decided you'd take the job if offered, so GOOD LUCK!!!

turner
09-26-2002, 08:51 AM
I think I will take the job if offered to me. My husband said he will pu some of the bills I pay so I can take the job if I want. He said that it has always been something I wanted to do so do it if I get the chance.

I found another job at another vet clinic that I am going to apply for as well. Its actually for 2 jobs and I don't know which one I want more.....Receptionist and Instructor for a Doggie Daycare. The doggie daycare sounds more like I would want. Does anyone know what you need to be an Instructor for a Doggie Daycare? I have the experience with animals as I volunteered with a doggie daycare and training. The place I took Deisel too for his training, the instructor asked me to come back to help in new classes. I have a little bit of first aid but not much else. Oh how I would love that job....sorounded(spelling) by dogs all day...I could only dream of it!!!