PDA

View Full Version : SPARKLER pics! And photo questions

phesina
02-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Well, I got my more recent pictures over onto the computer today.

Once again they all came over HUMONGOUS sizes, like 3072x2304 pixels.

I reduced a few of them to manageable sizes, so you can all finally get to see a couple of pics of my new girl Sparkler!

Here she is in her Lounge Lizard pose.
http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=100&pictureid=791

Here's big brother Elmer checking out the New Kit on the Block. Note the similarity in their marking, if not their coloring. Maybe they really are related!

http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=100&pictureid=790

I put them into an Album on my user Public Profile page, so you can also go take a look there.

And now for my photo questions:

The last time I put some pictures here, they all came out huge, and I had to reduce them one at a time to manageable sizes. I asked, is there a way to get them over in the first place not so enormous, or a way to reduce them all proportionally? Someone gave me a link to an application for reducing picture sizes.

I got that, which turned out to be HP Image Zone Plus, with which I can reduce photos. But from what I've figured out so far with it, it will only do one picture at a time. I already have a graphic program called IrfanView with which I reduced the earlier pictures, which only does one at a time.

My question #1: Is there a way to get the pictures from the camera to the computer not so huge in the first place?

and #2: If not, is there a way to do multiple-reductions with HP Image Zone Plus or IrfanView or another such application?

Thank you so much for any advice!

I will soon have more pictures of Sparkler to share, as well as new ones of my other Family Members (even if I have to resize them one at a time).

krazyaboutkatz
02-22-2009, 10:18 PM
She sure is adorable and I love her name.:)

I also have a program that I use to resize my pictures before I post them. I have to do them one at a time too. I don't know of any programs that will reduce more than one at a time. Good luck.:)

Catlady711
02-22-2009, 11:06 PM
The only way to reduce the pix size before downloading is to use the smallest jpeg setting your camera has, but your image quality will suffer with out a way to get it back. If you resize AFTER downloading then you have the option for a nice sized print if you ever want to later, and have higher image quality among other perks.

Not sure what camera you're using or what operating system your computer is, that makes a bit of a difference.

If you happen to have a Canon camera it comes with Zoom Browser for all cameras and Digital Photo Professional if it's a DSLR. Both those programs can downsize multiple pix at a time for emailing etc.

If you happen to have Windows XP you can download a free program from the Windows Power Toys section called, simply enough, 'image resizer' which can do a whole folder full of pix at a time if you want it to.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

The Image resizer is in the right hand column and is about half way down the page.

Beyond that I don't know what to tell you on resizing images because that's all I use.

Barbara
02-23-2009, 04:42 AM
I can't help much with your photo questions - I think you can take the pictures at a different and lower resolution. Problem is I never read the booklets ;)

But Sparkler is so pretty :)
Her markings remind me of Abner- just a lightning in the face. And those white mittens! Very elegant :)

Medusa
02-23-2009, 06:45 AM
Oh she's adorable! No wonder you named her Sparkler! :love:

Catty1
02-23-2009, 07:56 AM
I think the pics are downsized if you put them in your Album?

Click on your user name and look for the Album...you can put photos in there.

I also use Photobucket, but using the album is MUCH easier. :)

Sparkler is just adorable! She looks fine sitting up, like her leg doesn't bother her. "Built for comfort, not for speed." :love: That means lots of cuddle time?;)

Welcome, Sparkler!

3Catcondo
02-23-2009, 08:19 AM
I love Sparkler. I have a weakness for orange kitties, and especially female ones. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Laura's Babies
02-23-2009, 08:20 AM
I love how her face is marked, she has such a CUTE face!! Is she as sweet as she looks?

cassiesmom
02-23-2009, 09:15 AM
What a gorgeous Lounge Lizard! That sweet face, that fluffy tail! Welcome, Sparkler!

catmandu
02-23-2009, 09:50 AM
and theres something on the way for Little Sparkler from the foind hotel Cats.
Especially from michael the Dream cat and Miquelito the Little Orange Lion for an awesome Orangette!!!:love::love::love:

phesina
02-23-2009, 03:21 PM
If you happen to have Windows XP you can download a free program from the Windows Power Toys section called, simply enough, 'image resizer' which can do a whole folder full of pix at a time if you want it to.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

The Image resizer is in the right hand column and is about half way down the page.

Beyond that I don't know what to tell you on resizing images because that's all I use.

Thank you, Catlady, for the tip. That sounds like just what I'm looking for. I downloaded the Image Resizer installation file, then ran it to install it. Now I just need to find WHERE it installed it so I can try it out!

phesina
02-23-2009, 03:26 PM
I think the pics are downsized if you put them in your Album?

Click on your user name and look for the Album...you can put photos in there.

I also use Photobucket, but using the album is MUCH easier. :)

Sparkler is just adorable! She looks fine sitting up, like her leg doesn't bother her. "Built for comfort, not for speed." :love: That means lots of cuddle time?;)

Welcome, Sparkler!

Thank you, Candace. I put some photos of Sparkler and some of Gary's Canadian Catnip mice being enjoyed in the Album. I just noticed today that the pics get downsized to 600x600 maximum there. I had reduced them to 750xwhatever before putting them in the album. Maybe I'll reduce some others to 600xwhatever myself before adding them.

I really like the Album and being able to put pictures there and then insert them directly into messages. Tthanks, Karen and Paul!

Sparkler can actually get around quite quickly when she decides to! Sometimes she likes to be cuddled, other times she shows how independent she is.

snowbelle15
02-23-2009, 03:35 PM
She has such a cute face! She's adorable! :love:

Grace
02-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Oh Pat, she is so pretty. How is she getting along with the rest of the critters?

phesina
02-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Thank you from Sparkler and me, Snowbelle and Gretchen! She sure is a little cutie. She gets along okay with the others. They all kind of live around each other, and while nobody is real crazy about anyone else, there are never any overt hostilities.

I said above, rather kiddingly, that with their similar markings Elmer and Sparkler might be related.. Well, guess what, I found out today that both Elmer and Sparkler came to the shelter from Dexter, MI! Gretchen, do you see many other tabbies around town with those sorts of markings?

lvpets2002
02-25-2009, 04:45 PM
:love: Well Hello & Welcome Miss Sparkler.. I just Love You & your name.. Your such a Cutie Sweetie Pie.. I am Taccoa's meowmom which Taccoa is Elmer's number one Devoted Darling Lady..

Grace
02-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Thank you from Sparkler and me, Snowbelle and Gretchen! She sure is a little cutie. She gets along okay with the others. They all kind of live around each other, and while nobody is real crazy about anyone else, there are never any overt hostilities.

I said above, rather kiddingly, that with their similar markings Elmer and Sparkler might be related.. Well, guess what, I found out today that both Elmer and Sparkler came to the shelter from Dexter, MI! Gretchen, do you see many other tabbies around town with those sorts of markings?

Pat, with my history, you just know that if I had seen either of those two wandering around unattended, I would have scooped them up so fast . . . . . . .

Can't say that I've seen any with those specific markings lately.

Catlady711
02-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Thank you, Catlady, for the tip. That sounds like just what I'm looking for. I downloaded the Image Resizer installation file, then ran it to install it. Now I just need to find WHERE it installed it so I can try it out!

It's not a separate program you load up like other programs.

You simply find your pix in your windows browser (ei: my documents etc.),

select the picture or pictures you want to change size on,

make sure they are highlighted (holding the Ctrl key down while clicking individual pix will highlight them as you click them),

once you have all the pix highlighted you want downsized you can release the Ctrl key if you were using it,

and just RIGHT click on one of the highlighted pix.

It will give you a little box that says 'resize pix' somewhere near the top of the list. Once you click that it gives you several options on sizes and other things you can do with them.

phesina
02-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Oooh! It worked! Thank you!

Here's one I just tried it on of Bobby and Elmer testing their new wavy scratching pad:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=110&pictureid=891