PDA

View Full Version : Calgon, take me away!

Sirrahsim
02-22-2009, 09:58 AM
I had to take my oldest son to the hospital Friday because it turns out he has pneumonia. They gave him steroids and a breathing treatment and sent us home with more steroids and antibiotics....
Has anyone ever been around a child who is on steroids??:eek::eek: My normally sweet boy is bouncing off the walls, hitting, kicking, screaming and saying the most awful things to me all with a smile on his face:eek:
I can't wait until this course of steroids is OVER!!!

I could really use a Calgon bubble bath right now:D

caseysmom
02-22-2009, 10:19 AM
You may want to rethink the steroids, sometimes I think the side effects aren't worth the risks. I would think a good round of antibiotics should do the trick.

Sirrahsim
02-22-2009, 10:26 AM
His breathing was VERY labored. Seeing how badly his chest was retracting was very scary. At this point he needs the extra help opening up his airways.

caseysmom
02-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Oh that is really scary. I am sure for a short time it will be okay, maybe he is just cranky because he is sick. Kids bounce back pretty quick but I remember how scary it was when they were ill.

My neighbor who is 50 was in a coma for 2 weeks with pneumonia and I just now saw her walking her dog in the rain smoking! I stopped and told her to put it out and she said "DON'T TELL ANYONE" I am so upset right now we almost lost her and it made the complication much more from the smoking.

Sirrahsim
02-22-2009, 10:47 AM
That is so sad for her and her family:( Smoking can cause so many problems.

He'll only be on the prednisolone for 3 more days after today. He had pneumonia back in December and he reacted the same way to the meds. It is seriously like they are giving him caffiene pills or something. Right at this moment he is sprinting in circles through the house. I have to remind him every couple of minutes to sit down so that he can catch his breath. I'd rather have him acting like this than breathing the way he was Friday though :eek:

caseysmom
02-22-2009, 10:49 AM
I could use some prednisone I need to clean house:p

Sirrahsim
02-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Couldn't we all?:D:D

Cataholic
02-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Wow. Sorry to hear that! J is on a short course of a steriod now, and has no reaction at all, thank goodness! I hope it stays that way!!!

cassiesmom
02-22-2009, 07:00 PM
prayers for Sirrahsim and son

Karen
02-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Now now - prednisone doesn't do the energy-kick thing to everyone. It is quite the miracle to be able to breathe again once the prednisone kicks in, and that may also be contributing to the bursts of energy - because he CAN! Basically the side effect I have had to deal with the times I have been on Prednisone is being HUNGRY - feeling like I could eat three Thanksgiving dinners and not be full. Of course, your stomach isn't any bigger, so it's completely illusory, but try telling that to a brain that is going FOOD NOW FOOD NOW FOOD NOW!!! So Missy, just bear with it - this, too shall pass!

Sirrahsim
02-22-2009, 11:03 PM
it's actually prednisolone which is technically a different medication... When you take prednisone it goes into the liver and is converted to prednisolone.. Not that it matters. I've just been doing way too much reading up on the risks of him taking it:eek:
He's going to see his primary doctor tomorrow and I'm ready to put on my Don't-mess-with-the-mommy face if they try to brush of two cases off pneumonia within 3 months without at LEAST taking a closer look at his lungs.. :mad: