PDA

View Full Version : Baggage fees.. why??

Husky_mom
02-20-2009, 12:42 PM
why are now airlines charging baggage fees??... economy issues??...

most airlines now charge 15 for your 1st baggage... and 25 extras for the second?? or 25 for both??....

now traveling has got a bit pricier... let´s say you want to go somewhere far and you need 3 bags... well... one for each person but still 15 dlls a piece... WOW....

lvpets2002
02-20-2009, 12:51 PM
:) Yes the Airlines started charging due to fuel price increases.. See the more weight of baggage the aircraft carries the more fuel the aircraft burns.. Also its to deterr the customer as well to not bring so much luggage on a flight.. Oh yes I am sure they figure if you have the money to fly then you have the money for luggage fees.. I used to fly alot for years = that is before they started with all of these fees & ect..

Husky_mom
02-20-2009, 12:55 PM
yeah but I´ve been thinking... normally we´d take one or two bags which can go as carry-ons... but we document them... now we´d be forced to carry-on those same bags so we don´t get charged... is there enough space for all the passengers carry-ons... I mean they´ll all be same weight up or down in cargo....:confused:

perhaps a weight limit charge would be more functional.... I don´t know...

Barbara
02-20-2009, 12:56 PM
It's not so much fuel price increases (fuel is still cheaper than last year at the same time) but rather the overall cash flow situation. The cheap airlines were always operating on a very low margin and just have to see where they can get money from.....

Laura's Babies
02-20-2009, 02:42 PM
I use to not hesitate flying, even thought I never really liked it. Now is seems like it is far more a hassel than it use to be with trying to figure out what you can carry on, security, and extra baggage fees, ect....

Karen
02-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Exactly what Barbara said. Less weight for luggage = less fuel cost. We all love our cheap flights, and airlines will do anything to not raise actual ticket prices - so they nickle-and-dime you any other way they can.

smokey the elder
02-20-2009, 03:01 PM
I flew Jet Blue (shameless plug) to Orlando in October; bought tickets at the height of the oil bubble (late June.) I did buy the extra leg room; they didn't charge for bags at that time. For two round trip tickets it was $448, I think. Pricey, but much less than some other airlines, and the flight was non-stop, out of an airport only a half hour away, and they had DirecTV (another shameless plug!) and good snax.

Now I think the supply-demand equation will start driving fares down. Sooner or later, even cutting out flights, they want to fill the planes that are still flying.

Business meetings are being done over the Internet more and more. I would prefer those, since I don't really care to travel long distances very often. The downside is the lack of face-to-face interactions during meals, downtime and such.

/end longwinded missive....:p

Husky_mom
02-20-2009, 03:16 PM
normally we´d take one or two bags which can go as carry-ons... but we document them... now we´d be forced to carry-on those same bags so we don´t get charged... is there enough space for all the passengers carry-ons... I mean they´ll all be same weight up or down in cargo

same weight but no charge if I take them as carry-ons... what if every person did this... wheres the less baggage- less fuel saving... there are the same bags just in different place on the plane...

Edwina's Secretary
02-20-2009, 04:36 PM
same weight but no charge if I take them as carry-ons... what if every person did this... wheres the less baggage- less fuel saving... there are the same bags just in different place on the plane...

There are limits to carry on. And those limits are being enforced more rigorously.

If you try and carry on too much...or if the overheads get full and you cannot fit yours in...you will pay the baggage fee.

Wait til you get on an airline that charges for a soda now! I cannot remember which one I was on recently that charged for soda or bottled water.

I can drink tap....:rolleyes:

Cinder & Smoke
02-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Wait til you get on an airline that charges for a soda now!

I can drink tap ... :rolleyes:

You might not want to ... when was the last time they cleaned the tank?

AND ...
They probably want $1.95 (correct change, only, please) for the Dixie Cup
to serve it in!

:eek:

shepgirl
02-20-2009, 07:22 PM
I just assumed it was like everything else, everything goes up and I thought this was the reason for air fares also.

kitten645
02-21-2009, 03:29 AM
I think airlines SHOULD cut down on flights to insure that the planes are full. It's a PITA but in the long run makes more sense. I think generally, if people fly it's because they need to. Vacation OR business..you want/need to get somewhere. If you have a narrower choice of flights, I bet most people would accomodate a schedule around their flight. I also don't mind paying for food as I remember having aweful airline food on many occasions and thinking..knock five bucks off the fare and I'll bring my own or eat before I board! I don't quite understand the beverage thing because you can't bring your own water on board (cause I guess you can make a bomb with it?) but you can wash your hands and get free bottled water when you are on board? :confused:
I've also traveled with people who pack everything but the kitchen sink! I'm all for encouraging light packing. I think when you are trying to save money you can get creative..I had a friend who backpacked across europe and bought clothes at goodwill as she traveled and disposed of them when they seved their purpose! Not that I could go to that extreme:eek::rolleyes:
Claudia

Edwina's Secretary
02-21-2009, 11:03 AM
You might not want to ... when was the last time they cleaned the tank?

AND ...
They probably want $1.95 (correct change, only, please) for the Dixie Cup
to serve it in!

:eek:

A travel tip...you cannot take a bottle of water through airport security (although I have by accident...) but you can take an empty water bottle through security...and then fill it from a water fountain after clearing security.

Better than paying $5.00 for a bottle of water at the overpriced shops on the concourse.

Randi
02-21-2009, 11:16 AM
A travel tip...you cannot take a bottle of water through airport security (although I have by accident...) but you can take an empty water bottle through security...and then fill it from a water fountain after clearing security.

Better than paying $5.00 for a bottle of water at the overpriced shops on the concourse.
He he, that's what I did last time. :D

However, a nice cold beer before going to the gate is out of the question now, unless you want to pay about $8-9 for a glass. :rolleyes:

Killearn Kitties
02-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Husky_mom, I thought of you when I saw this story. :D

Ryanair considers charge for toilet (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7914542.stm)

lvpets2002
02-27-2009, 03:12 PM
:eek: What ??? O brother.. I could just see my Colitus kicking in Bad & I cant get the coin in the slot.. What a mess that could be..:rolleyes:
Husky_mom, I thought of you when I saw this story. :D

Ryanair considers charge for toilet (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7914542.stm)

Husky_mom
02-27-2009, 03:45 PM
LOL... well... another use for an empty water bottle now... haha

lvpets2002
02-27-2009, 03:51 PM
LOL... well... another use for an empty water bottle now... haha

:eek: Thats all I would get is a empty water bottle.. How abouts giveing me a big mouth jug if its my Colitus kicking in.. :D