PDA

View Full Version : The Big Move

Miss Meow
09-21-2002, 12:04 AM
We don't move to Melbourne for another five or six weeks (I'm in denial that it's so close, so I refuse to count :) ) Jasmine is getting in a little practice for the ride to the airport (she doesn't yet know about the ride to the vet's for a checkup prior to the airport ...)

Miss Meow
09-21-2002, 12:06 AM
I don't believe we have to fly again. Can we please drive?

Nomilynn
09-21-2002, 12:06 AM
How cute! how long is the plane ride? :D

Miss Meow
09-21-2002, 12:07 AM
Can we take that cute little ragdoll from across the driveway?

Miss Meow
09-21-2002, 12:08 AM
Memories of sleeping on the windowsill on sunny winter days

Sara luvs her Tinky
09-21-2002, 12:08 AM
Six weeks is not long at all...... HAPPY PACKING!;)
Hope the kitties have a comfortable plane ride.

Miss Meow
09-21-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
How cute! how long is the plane ride? :D

Only about 1 1/4 hours, but we have to get to the airport two hours before the flight and drop them off, and I don't know about how long it takes to collect them. Then 1.5 hours from the airport to their Aunty Yvonne, who will board them until we find somewhere to live (hopefully only a week). The cats will panic but will be OK, I am going to the vet's for MY sedative!

toughCookie
09-21-2002, 02:16 AM
how cute! more pics!

AmberLee
09-21-2002, 11:11 AM
Best wishes for you all with the big move.

Aren't cats LOTS of help :rolleyes: when it comes to boxing things up?

krazyaboutkatz
09-21-2002, 09:00 PM
Great pics. Your cats are beautiful. :) Nicole, I want to wish you a safe and relaxed trip both for you and the cats. :)

Randi
09-22-2002, 12:54 PM
What absolutely lovely cats you have!!! I hope the big move goes smoothly and the cats adopt well in the new place. Make sure to have a chat with the vet people in the airport and demand to see the box they'll be in on the flight. I suppose they'll be sedated too?? - better do it before you leave! Have a good journey - all of you!! :)

Miss Meow
10-14-2002, 10:59 PM
I cannot believe this. I am booked to leave next week with the cats and fish to find somewhere to live in Melbourne. Then the week after we are moving permanently.

Find out today that Shane has been offered another Navy job, so instead of just writing his new job title on a database or something easy, they are cancelling the whole move - everything. And we have to start from scratch. They won't even tell us what date we can move now as we have to re-do all the paperwork, then they will tell us.

So I finish my job today and have no idea how long I'll be sitting on my backside doing nothing, waiting for these bureaucrats to re-book a move for no real reason. I am almost crying from anger. :( :( :( :( :( (and feeling a wee bit sorry for myself)

AmberLee
10-14-2002, 11:14 PM
Oh Good Grief!!!! How aggravating for you. Do keep us posted as the situation changes.

Arrrrrggggghhhhhh!

krazyaboutkatz
10-14-2002, 11:16 PM
Nicole, please don't worry. I know it'll all work out in the end. At least you found this out before you moved to Melbourne. Hopefully it won't take too long to find out where and when you'll be moving. Good luck and please keep us posted. {{{HUGS}}}

10-15-2002, 04:48 AM
OMG , what a terrible thing ... So sorry for you both and the cats !! I hate moving , so if they act as if it's nothing to worry about , they must be crazy !!! Hope it turns out okay soon !!

Take care , and try not to worry to much ...

Miss Meow
10-15-2002, 06:24 AM
Thank you everybody. And another thing, the house we are living in now has already been allocated to someone else - I don't know what happens there!

moosmom
10-15-2002, 08:09 AM
Nicole,

I'm so sorry for the Navy screw up. But remember that things happen for a reason. I know that's no consolation. Did you ask the Navy if they itend to put you up somewhere since they gave your housing away??? It's the least they can do for such an inconvenience.

Hang in there sweetie. I know things look bleak now, but they will work out, I promise you!

Hugs,

Donna and furkids

Chinadoll
10-15-2002, 10:24 AM
Oh my! How awful. Moving is hard enough. Not knowing when you move must be extremely frustrating. I'm so sorry. Hopefully it will all work out..maybe even better than before.

Edwina's Secretary
10-15-2002, 10:30 AM
Nicole,

So sorry! Sounds like a typical bureaucratic snafu. Try to think of it as "dining out" stories you can share (after you get settled.)

Cataholic
10-15-2002, 02:16 PM
What a pain in the butt! Of course, since it isn't affecting the Navy, they don't see it as the huge issue it is for you! I wonder if they will put you up someplace temporarily, if you need to move cause your place is "allocated" to someone else...maybe they just push them back too?

I hope you all can settle back down, for a little bit, so that the next time to move won't seem so overwhelming.

You sure have two beautiful siameses kitties to keep you company, though, don't you?:)

Miss Meow
10-15-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
You sure have two beautiful siameses kitties to keep you company, though, don't you?:)

Yes I do! They are currently out enjoying an expected day in the courtyard because mummy is home today.

Thank you everybody. You're right, we'll get through it. We don't receive any updates until we fill all the paperwork out again, so we'll get that done this week and see what happens.

I might trot to the unemployment office today because they do a program where you re-establish bushland and plant trees. Sounds like a productive use of my time :)

Cataholic
10-15-2002, 06:48 PM
Miss Meow, I know the commute might be a little much, but my yard could use some new shrubs and trees! :D :D

Hang in there, at least the PT connection won't be broken yet, right?

Miss Meow
10-15-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Miss Meow, I know the commute might be a little much, but my yard could use some new shrubs and trees! :D :D

Hang in there, at least the PT connection won't be broken yet, right?

My own house plants were transported weeks ago as a friend was driving to Melbourne and we piled up his car with our plants! But these new trees, well, one for them, one for you - easy! PT connection is still here, by my home dial-up is soooooo slow ... what did we ever do without the internet!

koxka
10-15-2002, 07:22 PM
Nicole are you sitting in your back door with your kitties wondering what will happen next?

It is supposed do you have to live with all your goods packed up till the bureaucrates decides where and when they will replace you?

Nicole,you better laugh at the whole situation, and take it with humor, every thing sound so weird and surrealistic!

The best of luck on your issue (and vent if you feel like. ;) )

Anna

Logan
10-15-2002, 10:12 PM
I think Anna is right, Nicole. It's either smile and give in to the terrible situation that's been forced upon you, or just break down and cry. I think smiling is a better option. Just look at it as an adventure!!!! Surely the Navy won't leave you homeless!! If they do, come to the US and South Carolina. I have extra beds and would love to have Jasmin and Mini right here, along with you!!! :)

Miss Meow
10-16-2002, 01:25 AM
Thank you Anna and Logan :-)

I am starting to see the funny side of this. The removalists don't move food so we've been eating everything in the house and our cupboards are bare. Now we are staying longer this has created a minor challenge in the kitchen. This is what we have:

Cupboards:
- bag of flour
- popcorn
- sweet chilli sauce
- soy sauce
- Tabasco sauce
- sugar
- half a packet of pasta

Fridge:
- orange juice
- cat meat
- olives stuffed with anchovies (yummmmm)
- cracked bottle of mineral water in freezer compartment that has stuck to ice

Freezer:
- half a tub of ice cream
- lumpy frozen things from a prehistoric era

Recipes using these ingredients anyone :D

Must go to supermarket ...

Cataholic
10-16-2002, 09:41 AM
Don't tell my mom, but....I have eaten popcorn for dinner many a times! In fact, last night I ate chex mix..home made of course (the Americans probably know what this is, but for the rest of the world...it is a snack you bake, made from cereals, pretzels, nuts, butter and some spices).

So, take the popcorn, pop it, and add the chili mix! That is sooo fall like...corn and chili? Then, for breakfast, well, orange juice might be it!

Then, an alternative to the popcorn dinner above? Pasta, butter and anchovies!

Chex mix mails really well, so, if need be, I will make you up a batch and send it to you!!:) :D ;)

NoahsMommy
10-16-2002, 10:39 AM
Oh how annoying! :(

I'm so sorry your plans were disrupted like this. Will you still be moving to the same area at least?

Edwina's Secretary
10-17-2002, 09:32 AM
Don't tell my mom, but....I have eaten popcorn for dinner many a times!

You mean popcorn for dinner is abnormal????? Until I met my husband a few years ago the only two dinners I knew how to make were popcorn and spaghetti with no sauce.

He loves to tell people that he almost stopped dating me when he saw my frig. Ah but....I sure was skinny then!

Cataholic
10-17-2002, 09:41 AM
the only two dinners I knew how to make were popcorn and spaghetti with no sauce.

Melted butter counts as a sauce, doesn't it??

:D

Miss Meow
10-17-2002, 04:29 PM
Ha ha ha! You must've had many other talents Sara! Cataholic, popcorn is normal, some people just pretend it's abnormal because they are closet popcorn eaters ...

Shane rang his new boss and asked if he could start early, which means we may be able to leave mid-end November. Fingers, paws and tails crossed.

We just had some new Navy people move into our block. One was made to cancel her wedding as the Navy wanted her moved right before her wedding. She had ONLY spent a year planning it ... there was no urgency behind the move, only easier for the bureaucrats. Another was called on a Monday and told to move on the Friday - she had nowhere to live so had to spend a month in a hotel. I am not so badly-off after these stories.

Miss Meow
10-23-2002, 09:53 PM
How funny is this? We just got a new move date of 20 November, which is fine, but I might miss my dad's 60th birthday on 14 Nov unless the date of the party can be changed.

I just got a phone call from the navy base where Shane is being posted, they want to interview me for a job I applied for about six weeks ago!

Buuuuuuut, the interview is on 8 Nov and I have already cancelled all our earlier plane flights!!! At least things are looking up, confusing, but up.

Logan
10-23-2002, 10:08 PM
Your life is nothing, if not exciting, Nicole!! I guess this is "good" news, but how confusing it has all become for you!!! :confused: Bless your heart. I will be thinking about you as you work through it all. Gripe away if you need to!!!! :D

Cataholic
10-24-2002, 09:40 AM
My goodness Nicole, if it rains it pours, right? On one hand, it would be nice to have a job where Shane will be, but, geesh, you have to fly twice now? Would the base reconsider moving the interview date? As to your Dad's party..well, maybe that can be moved, too? Watch, you will move everything to accomodate the base..and the move date will change again. Want me to mail you some Chex Mix?:D