PDA

View Full Version : Do you try and buy your birthday cards,etc at half price....

carole
02-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Just wondering how many of you buy ahead like I do, yesterday our store here Whitcoulls had all their unboxed cards at half price, i managed to pick up, my great nephews birthday card and my son's girlfriends(both in October) my Dads birthday card(in Dec) and my nephews 30th card (in November) and my girlfriends baby who is only 4mths old(his first birthday card in October) all at half price, the best part is you can pick a really nice expensive card that maybe you would normally not purchase because of the expense.

Yep cost me 16 dollars instead of 32, i think that is a good saving, i am going to be buying them anyhow,did not see ones i liked for my mother, or sister though, so i don't get them unless i really love them.
I usually try and buy my xmas cards a year ahead on sale as well, cards can be so expensive, but i love giving them all the same.

How about you, do you do this when you can?

K9karen
02-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Mom and I used to pick up cute, appropriate cards when we saw them, so I have a box full of every type of card in the world. But, that doesn't stop me from buying more when I find a cute one. I've noticed Hallmark (I think) has smaller, plain, but nice cards for 99 cents. I stock up on them. I'm not one for wordy cards that go on and on. I like short and sweet and then I add my own sentiment. Bargains are great, huh? I think you did great! Good on you!

Cinder & Smoke
02-20-2009, 12:35 AM
Just wondering how many of you buy ahead like I do ...

How about you, do you do this when you can?

Yuppers, I've done that - buying in advance ...

And then can NEVER Remember :mad: where I put the darn things!
They usually turn up about 6 months AFTER the event.

:rolleyes:

So much for 'advanced planning'! :p

carole
02-20-2009, 04:06 AM
Hah that made me laugh, that was exactly what i was thinking when i put them away, i said to myself , put them somewhere visible so you remember, ain't getting older so much fun , NOT, so they are in the wardrobe at the top shelf,very visible, i still have to remember that is where i put them though lol.:):D

cassiesmom
02-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Absolutely, especially after the most recent price increase for Hallmark cards! Wal-Mart discounts American Greetings cards; a local supermarket chain at which I occasionally shop discounts Gibson cards; Dollar Tree has a small selection of cards that are always 2 for $1, which is handy if I'm going there for something else; and I've found that the selection at Factory Card Outlet has gotten much better recently, although their prices went up a bit.

carole
02-20-2009, 01:18 PM
We have the two dollar shops here and the 1,2,3 dollar shops,most of the stuff sold there is from China and run by chinese people,(however i notice my expensive cards are made in China too,they used to sell pretty crappy cards, but now they offer some good selections, sometimes i buy from there,but not too often, if i am giving a card, and card only i like to get something really special.

phesina
02-20-2009, 07:07 PM
I keep my eyes wide open all the time for not only good cards but also interesting items that would make nice gifts for various people. I go to lots of yard sales, estate sales, "antique" stores.

shepgirl
02-20-2009, 07:16 PM
I've never thought of checking prices on cards, didn't even realize they had salles on them. But I do buy my cards well in advance because time seems to fly and I sometimes look at the calendar and realize I have to make a mad dash for a card. Now that you've mentioned this I'm going to check out the cards everytime I'm in a store and get them on sale if possible. Like you I'll have to add a footnote somewhere to remember where I put them...

carole
02-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Yes here they have a half price sale on cards about three or four times a year,i only buy them if i really like them though,i won't get one i am not so keen on just because it is on sale, i like to choose my cards carefully.:)

Freedom
02-20-2009, 08:58 PM
i like to choose my cards carefully.:)

I DO buy my cards at discount, but I buy generic ones. I used to buy "Oh, that is perfect for Linda!" Then, in 6 months, when Linda's birthday came around, she was on a different "kick" and that card didn't work any longer. :rolleyes: So I don't but cards for specific folks unless it is going out in the next 2 weeks or so!

Other times, I don't think the card was such a good fit by the time the date to mail it comes around. So I stick with generic.

moosmom
02-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Absolutely!! Anywhere and every where I can find a way to save a buck.

sirrahbed
02-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Oh YES!! Cards are SO expensive when you need just the right one at just the right time. Sometimes I like to just browse discount cards and buy ones that really appeal to me. When I need a card, I can go to my card drawer and "shop":) I really love cute cards! Our Dollar Tree always has really nice ones - just as perfect as expensive Hallmark current cards!