PDA

View Full Version : A business idea...your input please appreciated...

carole
02-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Ok i have been thinking about this for some time now and wanted it to put it past my friends here,and get your opinions and advice.

For a hobby i love surfing the net looking up accommodations in my own country mostly but overseas as well.

Yesterday my husbands work-mate asked me to research some accommodation in the bay of plenty here, as he knows i enjoy this type of thing,so I happily obliged, he was most appreciative.

I have been tinkering with the idea as to whether there is an opportunity here for me to start a small online business doing just that researching accommodation for people, who just either don't have the time to do it or just cannot be bothered.

My idea was to set up a website, my outgoings initially would be the cost of the website, although my nephew would probably do it for free or very little, the cost of running it and i have no idea how to set up credit card faciltites online, but i would find out.,and broadband, my daughter would love me for that.

I am not thinking of charging anything outrageous, i have done a very rough copy on word,of how my website would be worded, and of course i would add some pictures,not sure what of.

Now this is where i ask my dear friends.

1. Do you think it would work?
2.Do you think there is opening for this type of service?
3.Am i charging too little, it does take quite a bit of my time to do the research?,but then i don't want to make it too expensive or no-one would use the service.
3.What sort of pics could i put on my website,(as you can see i already have a name, and no as far as i know there is not a service like this in NZ ) pics of NZ or what?
4.any suggestions, ideas, would be much appreciated, I may never do this, but i am toying with the idea, i do it for fun, but honestly i could well do with some pocket money, even to help take care of the kitties, would be great.

I have not thought of all the pros and cons yet, it is very much in the novice stages in my thoughts at this time, so anything you can think of please post it, thanks.

Karen
02-19-2009, 02:48 PM
I know nothing about the New Zealand vacation market, though maybe someday I will visit! (It's on a long list of places I'd like to go some day.)

But it seems marketable - you'd be like an online travel agent, doing the work and the searching for people who might otherwise not have the time or knowledge to do.

Sounds interesting, at the very least. And if it takes off at all, maybe you and Melissa could take road trips now and then and check some places out in person!

kitten645
02-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Sounds like an interesting idea. I have a friend who also enjoys this and she plans some very nice holidays for us.
My only concern would be liability if you recommend someplace that turns out really badly. I would think you need some sort of contract or fine print that limits your responsibility.
I definately think it's worth looking into. :) I'd love to know someone near a vacation site that could make arrangements.
Claudia

carole
02-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Yes well i have added that at the bottom of my proposed website, a disclaimer, i would not be quite like a travel agent, i don't intend on making the bookings at this stage anyhow, it is basically research and just finding the kind of places you want to stay at,saving you the time or bother.

I think there might be a small market for it here, I don't know of such a service available such as what i propose, i am not looking at making big money, just pocket money, do you think my charges would be ok or not? i cannot see me doing it for anything less, but maybe i am undercharging, doing myself a dis-service, it does take quite a bit of my time,but then again i dont' want to make it over priced or no-one will bother.

Karen what you are saying does make sense, if it did take off, i would be better actually staying at some of the places so i can recommend them or not, but then i don't think i wish to do that , i am a homebody, i would miss my cats way too much and my hubby too lol, and i don't travel well,but hey if i get rich lol, i will employ my daughter to do it eh? dreams are for free right.?

Thank you for your offer Reggie, i indeed would take you up on it, if my nephew does not have the time, he is pretty busy with work etc, and i appreciate the offer very much, cheers.

Husky_mom
02-19-2009, 03:34 PM
I think itīll be fun... I īm also always doing this for hubby and friends... haha..

good thing is there are non in NZ so thatīs a plus... Iīm not sure how much is all you mentioned... website, broadband, etc... but if itīs not that much Iīd say go for it!!.. you can make some bucks doing somehting youīd do anyway..

carole
02-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Yes that is exactly my thoughts, i am not 100 per cent sure if there is something similar online, but i have not seen it, i think the most expense would be running the website, i have no idea really, broadband, we would like anyhow and is only about 15 dollars more a month than we pay now,whether i have the confidence in myself to do it, i really don't know, but i just wanted to see what others thought, thanks for your input everyone.