PDA

View Full Version : If you are from Ohio ...

ChrisH
02-19-2009, 09:19 AM
... you may have known, or known of, this man. (The sister of his wife Tania is an online friend.)

Gregory Lee Bloomfield

It is with great sadness that we announce the loss of Gregory L. Bloomfield, 55, the Executive Director of the Toledo Area Humane Society, passed away Monday February 16, 2009, at his Sylvania Township Home, while under hospice care. He has been bravely battling cancer for the last four years.

Greg decided at an early age that he would dedicate his life to the rescue and protection of animals. He respected all animals and felt that they should be allowed to live and die with respect. He began his career in Columbus, OH, in 1970. After 10 years Greg moved to Denver, CO. and became Operation Manager of the Denver Dumb Friends League, recognized as one of the best animal shelters in the Nation. The next step in his journey found him as Director of the Kipsap Humane Society, Washington State, where he met his wife Tania. In 2000 Greg became the Director of the Toledo Area Humane Society. While under his direction adoption rates at the facility increased by 85%, and two veterinarians were added to the staff, allowing for in house spay and neutering. Most importantly Greg was instrumental in changing animal cruelty laws in Ohio and Washington State from misdemeanors to felonies. He served as Secretary of the Animal Welfare Administrators, an international group, and was a member of the Ohio Federation Humane Society.
Greg is survived by his loving wife Tania Bloomfield; children Meghan (Preston Wismer) Bloomfield, Jason (Kristy), and Adam Bloomfield, and Amie (Ed) Stevenson; grandchildren Gage, McKenna, and Grace; mother Joyce Miller; sisters Angela (Gary) Charles and Tonya (Rick) Daniels; and brothers Chuck (Diane) Miller and Lonnie Ray (Tammy) Bloomfield. He was recently preceded in death by his father Gene Miller.

Friends may call at the Reeb Funeral Home, 5712 N. Main St. Sylvania, OH, Friday February 20th from 4 – 8 PM. Greg’s Uncle, Elder. Michael Chaffin will preside at the celebration of his life, Saturday February 21st at the Grace Lutheran Church, 4441 Monroe St. Toledo, at 1 PM, where family and friends may gather one hour prior.

Those wishing to offer memorials in Greg’s name are asked to consider the Hospice of NW Ohio, Perrysburg Center/Headquarters, 30000 East River Road, Perrysburg, OH. 43551.

If you would like to share a memory of Greg, or offer a condolence to his family please do so at www.reebfuneralhome.com

Countless animals were allowed to live a comfortable and happy life because of Greg’s dedication and hard work, for them we offer him thanks. He will be dearly missed by us all.

---------------------------------------------------
He put up a good and courageous fight.

Rest in Peace Greg, you will be missed and mourned by many.

Taz_Zoee
02-19-2009, 09:43 AM
I am so sorry to hear this. He was so young too. He has helped so many animals in his rather short life, so I'm sure there was a party waiting for him at the Rainbow Bridge when he got there.

RIP Mr Bloomfield

4 Dog Mother
02-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Amy lives in Toledo so she may know of him. I often check out the Toledo Humane Societies available dogs on Petfinder. A couple of times I have found ones I like. I have also been to a couple of events that the Humane Society has had. They seem to be well done. I am very sorry that Toledo has lost someone who really puts pets on his priority list. RIP Mr. Bloomfield!

Cincy'sMom
02-19-2009, 12:20 PM
I actaully did meet Mr. Bloomfield. A few years back our therapy dog group was disucssing the idea of partnering with TAHS to seek a grant to allow people to adopt dogs that would become therapy dogs. The logistics got too complicated, and it never worked out, but I did have a good meeting with him. He was a very nice man and very supportive of our Therapy group. May he rest in peace.

Laura's Babies
02-19-2009, 01:57 PM
There is a special place in Heaven for you Mr. Bloomfield... I am sure of that!

smokey the elder
02-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Now that was a wonderful human being. It's sad that he passed so young.