PDA

View Full Version : Service Dogs Act passes in Alberta

Catty1
02-18-2009, 10:16 PM
I have met this couple and Bastien - and he is just the sweetest boy! :)
http://www.cochraneeagle.com/index.php?action=fullnews&id=5571
Local woman’s service dog more than just a furry friend

By Cori Lee Miller
The Eagle
With her furry caretaker’s head on her knee, Cochrane resident Angela Morel reminisces about the graduation ceremony where she received her service dog, Bastien.
“They were wonderful, wonderful people,” Morel says of the Western Guide and Assistance Dog Society, now called the Dogs With Wings Assistance Dog Society, who trained Bastien.
On Jan. 1, under The Service Dogs Act, the province announced that service dogs will have access to all public areas in Alberta, the same rights as blind or visually impaired people who use a guide dog.
Service dogs were previously protected under the Alberta Human Rights, Citizenship and Multiculturalism Act, but not covered under their own law.
The Dogs With Wings Assistance Dog Society is the only Alberta-based training centre for service dogs.
Bastien was trained for 18 months before he was ready to graduate as a service dog.
Having been specially bred, the golden retriever stands two inches taller than a normal dog, making him easily able to lay his head on Morel’s lap.
Morel is one of the estimated 100 people in Alberta who employ the use of a service dog, while 130 Albertans have a guide dog.
Morel was involved in a workplace accident in 1984, and was later diagnosed with stage four breast cancer. She has also suffered two strokes, has no sight in her left eye and broke her neck in a car accident.
She now relies on a wheelchair to get around and Bastien, who has been around to warn her of any unseen dangers for 3-1/2 years.
Paul Morel, Angela’s husband, said that Bastien is always on the lookout for danger, especially in unfamiliar places like stairwells or sidewalks.
“The dog knows that there’s those stairwells and makes sure Angela doesn’t go over to them,” says Paul.
“The dog knows that there’s an edge on the sidewalk and keeps her on the straight and narrow and so on.”
The Morels say they have “had some issues,” and have been confronted for bringing the dog into some businesses and restaurants.
They said that some of the problems stem from people not knowing the laws, or from people without disabilities trying to take advantage of rules.
However, the Morels say that for the most part when people see the big golden retriever out and about the reactions are usually positive.
“He’s very, very good when you go anywhere,” said Angela.
Paul said that some of the places where they expected the most resistance to Bastien have turned out to be the most accepting.
“Some of the most positive responses we’ve received were the places I expected to be the most hostile,” said Paul, citing the hospital as an example.
“The nurses come up to him. Sometimes it makes (patients’) day when they see the dog there,” Paul said.
The Morels say they often receive a warm welcome when they are out in Cochrane.
“The dog comes in and he’s obviously friendly. He got a big smile on his face, he’s on a leash and children approach him,” said Paul.
Out of uniform, Angela says Bastien is just like any other dog.
“You know he’s a lot of fun. He’ll do the funniest things and have you in hysterics,” she said.
The Morels admit Bastien is more than just a helpful pet.
“He looks after me so well,” said Angela. “If I get upset he doesn’t leave me.”
For falsely claiming the Service Dog Act applies to a person the fine is $300, while refusing a service dog access to any public area is $3,000.
Owners are given identification cards to prove their dog is a certified.

Copyright © 2009 Cochrane Eagle.

NicoleLJ
02-18-2009, 11:17 PM
I am hating these newspaper articles. All state that they are given certifacation of some sort. SO people think this is a must now. Read the ACT. It isn't a must.

Here are parts of the act. Part 1 In this Act,
(a) “disabled person” means an individual who has any degree of physical disability except blindness or visual impairment and is dependent upon a service dog.

(c) “service dog” means a dog trained as a guide for a disabled person and having the qualifications prescribed under section 4.

No where does it state that certifacation is a must or an id card or where you must train. Here is more from the Service Dog act.

Identification of service dogs
4(1) The Minister, or a person designated by the Minister in writing, may, on application, issue to a disabled person an identification card identifying the disabled person and that person’s service dog.

(2) An identification card issued under subsection (1) is proof, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, that the disabled person and that person’s service dog identified in it are qualified for the purposes of this Act.

When they had the meetings with the public last year they explained this wording to mean that Dr.s notes are evidence just like the ID. Which is why it say in the absense of evidence to the contrary. This is why I get so angry with the news and news papers. They do not get it right when they are putting out the information.

Catty1
02-19-2009, 06:50 PM
It's a local free weekly paper. I am sure there are more accurate reports elsewhere.

I just looked and had a hard time finding another article. There is one in Grande Prairie news January 30, which mentioned "qualified" service dogs, but did not elaborate on what that meant.

Guess it's not huge news to most Albertans...and that is a real shame.