PDA

View Full Version : Can cats see in color?

I_love_cats
09-20-2002, 10:07 PM
I would love to know if cats can see in color, i think they can more than people say. I heard by people that cats can only see in black and white. I am pretty sure they can see some shade of colors and cats can see good in th dark. What do you guys think, please let me know. Thanks!!!

stonewind
09-20-2002, 10:14 PM
Actually cats can only see in the colours blue and green. Hope that helps. Anyways I've got to go now.

Kirsten
09-21-2002, 04:15 AM
They can see colors, but not as intense as humans, and according to a study I've read they can't see red, only shades of blue and green (the cones for red-vision are missing in a cat's eye), like stonewind said. I think red looks grey for a cat. The study also said their vision field is only sharp in the center, but a bit blurry on the edges .

Kirsten

AmberLee
09-21-2002, 11:16 AM
I saw an interesting webpage ages ago that laid out side by side photos as humans saw things and as a cat would view them. The cats side was a little misty and 'gray-ed out' but did have some color. As the others said it seemed to mainly be blues and greens. If I find it again, I'll post a link here.

It vaguely seemed like it was part of the National Geographic magazine special on cats... :confused:

Kirsten
09-21-2002, 03:01 PM
Hmmm, I once saw a report on tv (think it was from BBC) where a camera tried to imitate the viewing field of a cat. It was showing humans, they did not look green, but very pale - but who knows! :)

Kirsten

I_love_cats
09-21-2002, 07:53 PM
I think cats can see in color because my Joey looks at very good like he can see my very clearly. I was just wondering how can they see are face, is blurry or clear.

krazyaboutkatz
09-21-2002, 08:47 PM
I voted that they can see some colors. May be they can see more than just blue and green.

AmberLee
09-21-2002, 10:11 PM
One more opinion on the subject: Cat Vision (http://www.videoforcats.com/catvision.htm)

I_love_cats
09-21-2002, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the useful website, that helps a bit.

krazyaboutkatz
09-21-2002, 11:50 PM
Thanks AmberLee, I learned something tonight. :) I thought that cats could see more colors than just blue or green. :)

AmberLee
09-22-2002, 01:18 PM
Well, it looks like they can see a little bit of yellow, and a little bit of purple... But our 'Mr. Red Fish' toy must be gray to the cats. Oh, well, they love him (to pieces) anyway. :rolleyes: :D

Chinadoll
09-22-2002, 11:55 PM
Interesting...I've always wondered that too. I know ferrets can only see red well. And now I know cats can see mostly blue green shades. I wonder what the significance is that some animals see a particular color as opposed to others.

lynnestankard
09-23-2002, 03:46 AM
Great link AmberLee - I always knew cats could register purple - hence Whiskas choosing that as the main colour for the tins etc.
Crafty eh?
:D

Lynne

Vio&Juni
09-23-2002, 09:45 AM
I saw a documentary long ago (not sure on which channel, think on Discovery?) and I found out that they see red as grey, they can see clearly yellow and green (that's why my cats are fans of Brasil football team :) , they always play on the tv screen when there is some of green and yellow). I forgot about blue, but I think you're right, they can see blue too. Also, they see better in less light, so during the day they see blurry.

Kirsten
09-23-2002, 10:10 AM
Yep, that link was helpful! Thanks for posting, AmberLee! :)

09-23-2002, 11:53 AM
I haven't read about this yet ; but I am sure cats can make a difference between different colours !! I aked Maya about it too , but all she says is "mow !!!!!!!!!!!" I suppose that is a yes !!;)

http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/eek7.gif

lovemymaltese
09-23-2002, 12:01 PM
I think that dogs and cats both see in color, there is so much evidence that points that they can.