PDA

View Full Version : talking to my cats

joycenalex
02-17-2009, 09:28 AM
i usually lurk here rather then post, however, this morning i have observations. all 4 of my cats are so different in conversation and conversation styles. granted as a biped i do not understand the finer points of cat to cat conversation that will be a later post , still in biped to feline conversation....
when i call mojos name, she always raises her tail and often trots over to see what i want . she also does this if i speak to any of the other cats but not the dog.
squirty, does *prrt* back, mostly, and will come to sit on my lap in the computer room rarely, but often on the recliner when i'm under an blanket. squirty has 'done' my hair twice this month, the last time for a squirty curl was 2 years ago, yes i do need a dye job:eek::D. do not pick up squirty, unless she's asleep, surprisingly she can turn into a bobcat in .0001milliseconds.
kira, is very very conversational with eileen, telling her all about her day in detail, about watching the birds or the bugs in the basement or my music selections and so on, she only speaks to me at meal time, faster and more biped. interestingly she LOVED shawn while he was 'babysitting' me these last weeks; shawn sat down, he had a fur barnacle. of course he is allergic:D.
magic is very very shy, if i hadn't seen his birth, i'd never believe he's mojos' son. he will wail for company most loudly at 3:48am, guess what time i got up today? he will also turn on the hall lights (the switch is a slider type) by doing a leap, slapping the switch and running like a stampede of horses, also effective at walking the humans at 1:39am...not for awhile. he rarely speaks during daylight, except for demanding his drops of coffee cream when i have a cup of am coffee. i have no idea where he sleeps during the day, i suspect he's crawled into the box springs, there is a rip, lots of grey hair under the bed and a big cat shaped hammock on the fabric.
so? how do yours 'talk' at and to you?

catmandu
02-17-2009, 09:33 AM
They are very talkative especially Miquelito the Little Orange Lion, amd my Princess the Purrfect!!
They just meeeow away, and make sure that they have my attention when they talk!!:love::love:
My Juke Joint Josephs a head banger, he gives head bumpies to make sure that I am listening.:D:D
Tubster Panther is so quiet for a big Cat and hes a very affectionate cat with head bumpies and kitty kissies , hes so grateful to have a home!!!
:):)

Pinot's Mom
02-17-2009, 10:30 AM
My girl Pinot is very talkative. She has various purrs, squeaks, meows and wails, depending on the situation. The absolute funniest (not just for us, for her kitty sitter as well) is when she goes upstairs to get "mousie" (her catnip mouse that she tends to as if it were a child), brings mousie down in her mouth, talking all the way! It is hysterical, and there's no way I could even BEGIN to describe that noise, but it bounces with every step, and I've never heard another cat do that! It's somewhere between a meow and a purr, with bounces of punctuation. The wailing usually comes in when she hasn't been either brought to, or asked in to, our bed. She considers it a personal affront and lets us know about it. If she fell asleep in her family room bed and doesn't wake up when we go up, this can also happen at about 3:30 AM. It's quite an eye opener!

She talks quite a bit as well when we are remiss in her playtime or food, of course, but she and I talk all the time when I'm home. Her Daddy doesn't as much, but he still does a bit.:love:

Laura's Babies
02-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Giz is a real talker and will talk to anyone who will talk to her. It seems the older she gets, the more verbal she gets. The other day she carried on a conversation with my great grand daughter who is about 10 months old, they talked for quite some time... Usually I know exactly what she is saying "PET ME! PET ME! PET ME!"... Or "MY TURN! MY TURN! MY TURN! BRUSH ME NOOOOOOW!"...

Samantha is verbal too and I love the sound of her voice. She has a more Siamese sound to her and she is like a squeaky toy.. Touch her and she "Owwww's".

Amy only talks when she wants you to feel sorry for her, like when she is shut out of the bedroom at night.. She does a most pitiful, kitten sounding "please let me in?"

smokey the elder
02-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Diamond is the most vocal. If the food level in her crunchies bowl isn't to her satisfaction, she'll let you know about it. Marnie has a chirping meow that sounds like a question: "meow?" The FLV+ kittens also chirp. Bubba has this lost soul meow that he only uses occasionally. The champion bigmouth of all the cats I've had had to be Diva!

cassiesmom
02-17-2009, 12:24 PM
I was putting Lean Cuisine dinners in the freezer last night- they were on sale so I bought several. Cassie *knows* that the freezer is over the refrigerator which sometimes gets opened and yummy things like lunch meat turkey are brought out. She was so funny, hopped up on the kitchen chair and gave me these LOUD high-pitched meows! "Mom! Mom! Mom! You are not getting out of this kitchen without giving me a treat!"

She's got a little "mrrrp" noise that she sometimes makes if I pet her while she is lying quietly. She's also got another high-pitched noise that sounds like "Ow" that she uses when she wants to get my attention - "Hey! Notice me!" And unfortunately, when she has slipped silently between my feet and I've stepped on her tail, she's got a sort of scream. I know to look down before I move away from the kitchen or bathroom sink! There was a thread a little while ago in which someone mentioned the silent meow -- she will give me one of those occasionally but not often. She also chirps loudly at the birds.

katladyd
02-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Ming, my Siamese, is the vocal one. He's not as vocal as most Siamese, but he has the cutest meow when he wants your attention. He is my son's baby and will only lie on his lap and sit next to him. However, he will occasionally lie on me when I am in bed. If you don't pet him when he is on you, he will tap your face softly with his paw. He is so beautiful, I just have to give him what he wants

My orange tabby, Macgyver, is not vocal at all. But, he's a real love bug who will leap on your lap at every chance, give head bumps and big loud purrs, and loves to sleep on me. He comes when called and never has a bad word to say about anyone or anything.

My boyfriend's cat, Buddy, is a large Tuxedo/Ragdoll mix. He is extremely vocal at all times. He possesses a litany of chirps, purrs, prrts, and meows, and knows how to use them. He does not like being picked up and held very much, though he is getting better the older he gets. He is only 10 months old, so nothing is set in stone at this point. He loves belly and ear rubs and you can give him chin scritchies anytime.

The three cats in my life are all so different, but they are all well loved!

Taz_Zoee
02-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Taz is not as vocal as he used to be. He meows to tell me to feed him. He barks at Paizly and the dogs. And he huffs at them too.
Sometimes if you ask Taz a question you will get an answer that usually sounds like NO. LOL

Paizly talks to me a little bit in the mornings when I go see her. But she is most vocal after we've been gone for the weekend. She will just sit and meow and meow at us. I think she is telling us off for leaving her alone for 4 days.

joycenalex
02-23-2009, 05:51 PM
tonights' dinner of grilled pork chops brought all 4 cats out, and all of them had plenty to say...mainly gimmee, gimmee, gimmee. magic, shy boy, even came over and tapped my thigh to demand a small piece, which of course he got:D. yes i am their servant, and the biped furrie conversations continue here. what are yours saying today?

RICHARD
02-23-2009, 07:26 PM
I think the title of this thread should have been,
Listening to and doing what my cats ask of me?
:D

And Magic is just that, Magic!