PDA

View Full Version : HDTV Deadline

sasvermont
02-16-2009, 07:43 PM
In our part of this country, we will be following the original plan to switch to HDTV tonight, at midnight. I spent part of my morning looking for a new antenna (rabbit ears) for my one HDTV. I have one converted TV and one HDTV. Up until now I was unable to get good reception on my HDTV. It dawned on me yesterday, that I probably should spring for a new antenna.

I bought the last one at Sears, today, just in time!

I refuse to spend money for cable (satellite dish only since I live on an island) .....

The reception is great now - what a good decision. I just love how clear the picture is and with the big screen, it is much like going to the movies!

I live under a rock!

:p

Karen
02-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Welcome to the world of bigger, better picture! We pretty much have always had to have cable living where we do, as because of the geography of hills and where antennae are located, we barely get a single channel without cable anyway, so we've had it for quite a while.

Cataholic
02-16-2009, 08:29 PM
I don't know how people make it without cable/dish TV. I like my options, and the fact that when I turn it on, I can see the picture! I read, on average 2 books a week, so it isn't as if I live in front of, but still. I like TV!

sasvermont
02-16-2009, 08:48 PM
The clarity of the picture is so perfect now. I usually watch public tv and once in a while, one episode of this or that. I like to watch late night shows, as in Letterman etc.

I just cannot say often enough, how clear the picture is compared to analog tv.

At first I thought the government was off target by getting involved in the conversion boxes and deadlines etc.

The quality change is well worth the 45,000,000 messages I have heard and read about the conversion date.

Maybe now I will watch a little more TV. (10 stations available!!!) Whooohooo!

Grace
02-16-2009, 09:29 PM
We have a High Def TV. There is no other way to go - at least for us. Sports, especially hockey, in HD are to die for.

blue
02-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Ive got an anolog/digital tuner installed on this computor, only 7 digi channels right now. See how it goes when anolog goes the way of the republican party.

Randi
02-17-2009, 05:45 AM
Gosh, I don't know what I'm going to do. Here, they switch to digital by Oct. 1st. Unless I get a new TV or buy some kind of box to connect, I'll have a blank screen. :eek: MPEG-2 will work until 2012, but after that date, the reciever will have to be MPEG-4.

Oh, wish John was here!! :(

I guess I need a new TV - I want a Sony! The one I have is a Thompson from 1991. I really would prefer the old fashioned format, I don't like the wide ones.

Barbara
02-17-2009, 09:54 AM
How great - I watch TV only every other week and then not for long. I prefer my collection of DVDs :)
I have no idea whether we switch or not:eek:

Randi- the only thing I know for sure- you can watch the program in the old format also on the wide one- you don't have to get used to extra broad faces- it is just the wrong setting.

Hellow
02-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Gosh, I don't know what I'm going to do. Here, they switch to digital by Oct. 1st. Unless I get a new TV or buy some kind of box to connect, I'll have a blank screen. :eek: MPEG-2 will work until 2012, but after that date, the reciever will have to be MPEG-4.

Oh, wish John was here!! :(

I guess I need a new TV - I want a Sony! The one I have is a Thompson from 1991. I really would prefer the old fashioned format, I don't like the wide ones.

Really, all you need is a converter box. Your Cable/Satellite provider should have one that you can hook up pretty easily to a older tv.

Craftlady
02-17-2009, 04:21 PM
We have the old tv's (20 plus years old for 2 of them and 1 is 5 yrs old) that are hooked up to cable. The quality you can tell is different. Live stuff looks taped. At this point there isnt any extra money to by one of these HDTV's. They are going to have to come way done in price before I shell out money. I pray our old t.v.'s keep working like champs that they are and so far so good :)

sasvermont
02-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Since my Mom moved to an assisted living facility to live, I kept her HDTV that I bought for her a couple of holiday's ago. She is not able to keep any TV where she is now (there is already a tv there...) I think I paid a little over $500 for it at radio shack. Its an AKAI. I have seen better. Even so, the picture is clear and vivid! And with the digital broadcasting, it's like going to the movies for me.

I hope everyone is able to enjoy the change.

Oh, I also have an old Trinatron and have used the converter box with that. Even that tv is much clearer.

There is one draw back though, just like cable, when the signal goes down, no tv reception. I think the broadcast companies have a few kinks to work out now.