PDA

View Full Version : What breed is best with small children?

jackiesdaisy1935
02-19-2001, 02:54 PM
I think there are many breeds that are wonderful with children. In my case we have two Schnauzers, Perry and Daisy who are not good at all with small children. In fact not to say all Mini Schnauzers do not tolerate small children well, but we have six Mini Schnauzers in our immediate family and not one of them are fond of children. We have two, our Daughter (no children) has two and our Son (one older grandson) has two and I would not trust any of them around small children. I don't know if this is the
terrier terror thing or what. We love our babies, but have to be very careful if there are children about.

petspoil
02-19-2001, 03:27 PM
I have the same problem with my three schnauzers. They don't like small children. Have to be very careful when small children are around. Before hearing from you I thought it was only my dogs problem.

jackiesdaisy1935
02-19-2001, 03:41 PM
Petspoil, I have been on this post for quite a while and you are the first one with Schnauzers, finally. I see on the Schnauzer rescue board they usually don't adopt out to anyone with small children. Do you have Minis? We have two minis a salt and pepper and a black. Perry and Miss Daisy. If you would like to see our minis we have a web site http://schnauzerville.homestead.com
We surely love our Schnauzers.

Angels3
02-19-2001, 05:59 PM
The senior vet at our uni vet clinic told me that people often ask him which are the best breeds to have with children. His answer is King Charles Cavalier Spaniels and Shetland Sheepdogs. He says that both are neither too big or too small. Both tend to have non-aggressive temperaments & be family oriented. He says that the additional things shelties bring are high intelligence for training and guarding/herding abilities.

Karen
02-19-2001, 06:31 PM
I do think it varies dog to dog - I know a Sheltie who is not at all good with children. I would go for the bigger dogs - I grew up with a German Shepherd mix who was wonderful with kids. Shepherds are also herding dogs, of course, and she always kept track of all us kids (my family, and any neighbor children), especially with no grown-ups around. No stranger ever got more than halfway down the driveway with Sheba on duty, yet I - I was a toddler when they got her - could do anything to her. At our first meeting, I staggered over to her (she was a full-grown stray who "followed my cousin home") grabbed her tail and yanked with all my might. My Dad was ready to leap between the dog and I, but Sheba just turned her head slowly toward me and growled softly. That was it - she became family at that moment, and put up with other loving torture from me (hey - I was little!). We also had a Saint Bernard who was fabulous with kids, and a Great Dane who was a sweetheart with them, too!

Daisy's Mom
02-19-2001, 09:00 PM
Even though she can get annoying, I have to say that my aunt's yellow lab is a saint to put up with my little cousins. When they got her, Ben was 5 and Maggie was 3, and they tortured that poor puppy! She never once bit them, even though she is SO hyper. But I think that if you bring up almost any dog around young children it has better chances of being good with them. My Basset Daisy spent her puppyhood with my little cousins allaround her and she is very tolerant.

Sudilar
02-19-2001, 09:13 PM
My first GSD was wonderful with my children even though we had him before the kids came. My Great Pyr was also perfect for kids. Both my present GSDs love kids, too.

Pam
02-19-2001, 09:29 PM
Although I think small dogs are precious and I have owned them, out of my 4 poodles I would vote for my standard poodle (45 lbs. of gentleness and tenderness) for being great with children. Though I loved the others dearly and never had one so much as growl at a child, they did sometimes seem a little nervous around children because of a child's unpredictable actions. I guess because of their size they feel they may come out on the short end if anything were to happen. I'm sure there are others out there with small dogs who do very well with children, but I'm just talking about my own case.

shais_mom
02-20-2001, 01:10 AM
My greyhound Shaianne, is great with my nephew Jacob. And with my older (younger?)cousins. She follows Jake door to door b/c she knows that he will open the door to freedom soon. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif
My sister's dog is a springer/lab type mix and is extremely tolerant with my nephew. It is amazing. We are careful when he is around Shai, since she is not used to it, but she adores him.

raynie
02-20-2001, 10:15 AM
BOXERS!! they are known to be excellent with kids. also the STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER is nicknamed "the nanny dog" for their love of children.

Corinna
02-20-2001, 10:36 AM
I have had Springer Spaniels all my live they are great family dogs they will watch all members of the family. Our current dog Merlin has differnet times that he has duties (his choice) for each person. The top is to watch the boy (teen) and mom. Dad can take care of himself. They are sturdy and large enough to wrestle around, but small enough to keep in apartments. We have had large breeds as well newfys and st.bernards they just don't realize how big they are.As with cockers at this time too many peolpe are breeding springers so learn about the breeders in the area and talk to several check with many vets , humane socity if they have had run ins with any of the animals from the breeders . If you chose one from a shelter visit several times and spend lots of time and take it for walks out around the grounds ( advice for all animals) With children it's important to know the most you can about the animal your bringing in. Sorry to those who think animals are moe inportant than kids, but I am not one my children always come before my furkids . I also am one who is careful about what I bring in, If it doesn't seem to be a SAFE animal the kids are not allowed in that area of our home til I think it is or till the animal is placed. I have reabilitated dogs so they are family orented and placed. I received them aboused and very nasty out of the 12 I have worked with only one was not able to be placed safly and I felt he would not adjust to any one and I had to have him put down & year old chow male gotten and just turned loose in a yard and food thrown over the fence once a week. I felt so devistaed after 2 years of working on him he still would not change toward any one I was the only one he didn't bite 'but I didn't allow myself to be in a postion to get bit.
I have had to take in lots of "cute" shelter dogs who had bad habits to break or people didn't take the time to spend more than one trip to the shelter.Sorry folks my pet peeve One trip to shelter and not getting the full story on an animail worked a avets office too long putting down to many sweet faces just becouse people are not informed. Glad for this form and people checking it to become informed. Off my soap box now Good luck finding the perfect family companion for the kids . One last thought it will be a family pet cuz it should be around after kids are grown if the right care and health given and a breed with a medium range life expectancy. Ok done now Corinna

ilovehounds
02-20-2001, 01:13 PM
Hi, I don't want to start a fight with any sheltie lovers but my parents have had five shelties and I wouldn't trust anyone of them around kids. Im not putting the breed down because not all shelties are like that but just be carefull. I would suggest a german shepherd, a beagle or a golden retriever. Just do your reasearch long and hard before choosing a breed. You can try your local animal shelter, Im sure there is a kind loving dog waiting for a home there :0)

I Love My Aussie
02-20-2001, 02:21 PM
I think the Welsh Corgi (the pemrole probably are better "nannies"), the Australian shepherd (they know how to keep them in your site), and the Flat-coated retriever.

------------------
*Get a Grip Get an Aussie*

I Love My Aussie
02-20-2001, 02:22 PM
I meant to say PEMBROKE not PEMROLE

------------------
*Get a Grip Get an Aussie*

Logan
02-20-2001, 03:17 PM
I'm basing my opinion on the experience we have had (me growing up and in my adult life).
I think retrievers, golden or labs, are wonderful companions for children. I will say that my usual Honey is good with two or three, but I do not trust her in large groups of kids. I agree with whoever said that having the puppy grow up with the kids is a good idea.
Other breeds that I have been exposed to that were wonderful with kids are: Cocker Spaniels, English Bulldogs, and Mixed breeds (lab/retriever mixes especially). I'm sure there are more, just can't think of them right now.
As you can tell, I like big dogs. But one day, I will have me a nice lap dog too. One day........ http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

*BaSim*
02-20-2001, 03:34 PM
I am thinking to GSD or Lab because they are easy to train and can be trained to tollerate things or people.... I also think that any dog could be good with children depending how it is raised and a trained.... My Simba is great with children (german shepherd pit bull mix) Once I get to use my aunts digital camera I will take a pic of Simba with the lil' boy I babysit, Charlie!!

------------------
*.:;KayAnn&Simba;:.*

tatsxxx11
02-20-2001, 05:30 PM
I know goldens and labs are said to be the quintessential family dog. Very tolerant of the "abuse" a little child can heap upon them! Their gentle temperment is a big reason why they are so widely used as companion animals and as animal assisted therapy dogs. Though they can be very playful as pups and can easily knock over kids! But shepherds I have known are great and very, very protective of babies and kids. Rotties too. A good friend has a big, big, Rottie girl, almost 150 lbs. and she treated their new born like her own! My neighbors' greyhound and boxer are great with ALL the kids in the neighborhood! I think most big-ger dogs tend to be more tolerant of little kids. Then again, my sister in law's little Cavalier LOVES children. Maybe smaller dogs think the "wee ones" are too much like them in size and action!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif I agree with Karen. It varies from dog to dog. So many mixed breeds always seem to have such sweet, loving temperments.

JackiesDaisy! So glad you found a Schnauzer "soul mate" to bond with! I know that "I'm all alone out here" feeling! And labs are SUPPOSED to be the most popular dog!!? I want a lab loving friend!!

[This message has been edited by tatsxxx11 (edited February 20, 2001).]

jackiesdaisy1935
02-20-2001, 05:40 PM
tattsxxx11 You are right, I couldn't believe my eyes when petspoil said she had three Schnauzers, we are going to have to find a Lab person for you! That reminds me of maybe a new post!

petspoil
02-20-2001, 08:07 PM
jackiesdaisy, mine are all minis and they are s/p in color. They are actually 3 generations. They are real darlings and I love them very much. :-)

Daisy's Mom
02-20-2001, 09:29 PM
I'm still lookin' for a Basset Hound soul mate too!

Genia
02-21-2001, 10:03 PM
I have to put my vote in for Pugs. I know they can't run, swim and play like Retrievers or Labs (which, I think are GREAT family pets), but as far as temperment goes my Pug is a doll. My 11 yr old dresses him up and puts beads around his neck and he struts all around the room. He's always ready and willing to be cuddled and I have yet to find anything negative about his personality. My Basset/Lab Jeffrey is a sweet guy, but because he still has a tendency to jump on you when he's excited, I don't allow him around small children. In a law-suit society I don't want to take a chance on any type of injury to a child. My daughter was yelled at the other day because Jeffrey got away from her and a child was trying to play with Jeffrey. When Jeffrey jumped the child was frightened and of course the mother was angry. I talked to the mom and calmed her down by convincing her that Jeffrey meant no harm. I still don't want to take that chance. So now, my daughter is not allowed to take him out without me. Sorry, this is off the subject.

By the way, Daisy's Mom and tatsxxx11 since Jeffrey is a Basset/Lab mix you each have found 1/2 a soul mate http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Daisy's Mom
02-21-2001, 11:04 PM
Ah great! I still would like to see a picture of Jeffrey! We always joke around saying how funny Daisy's puppies would look if she had them with a huge dog, like a St. Bernard or something. Dont worry though, she's fixed http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif So what does a Basset/Lab look like?

Genia
02-21-2001, 11:18 PM
As soon as I get off my lazy bottom and get these pictures developed, I'll scan them so I can post pics of Jeffrey and Bandit. Jeffrey is solid black, Lab head with a Basset body. When people meet him for the first time they say "Oh what a pretty Laa... No, he's a....What kind of dog is he?" http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

ownerof3dogs
02-22-2001, 05:50 PM
I grew up with Dobermans. THe male Dobey named Red was my gardian and best friend

Sophies Daddy
02-23-2001, 11:14 AM
Well, they aren't the greatest for very small children unless the children are well behaved (they are breakable), but Papillons just love to jump and play with the kids. My Sophie makes a bee-line for groups of children if I tell her it's o.k.. She jumps around, stops to let them pet her, lets them poke and prod and pull on her, and, if they know how to pick her up, she will snuggle and kiss them. If you could see her in action, you might think that she is the greatest, most tolerant dog with children that you have ever seen! This seems to be pretty universal too. Unless the Papillon was abused by children early on in life, they are generally great with kids.

As with any breed, however, the temperament of the individual dog plays a very important role. I have met evil and snappy goldens, rottweilers, labs, and dobermans. All of these breeds are highly recommended by people as great family dogs. Say what you will, but no breed in particular is perfect as a pet with children and all dogs have their limits. Train your children not to abuse the dog, as this is easier than training the dog to not abuse children that are abusing it. Most breeds are good with kids so long as the kids understand that they cannot beat up the dog.

Most important, socialize your dog as much as possible. The more people and dogs that are accepted as friendly by your dog, the less territorial and snappy the dog will be. Get out with the dog as much as possible and introduce him/her to new places, people, and things. Take the dog to obedience classes and get through the "Canine Good Citizen Test." You won't believe how well you understand your dog and how well your dog understands you!

[This message has been edited by Sophies Daddy (edited February 23, 2001).]

HowieDawn
02-23-2001, 01:22 PM
When I was a child, my grandmother had a schnauzer...we grew up together. Everywhere I went, he was there with me. I think that it is just the way you socialize your dog. If they are brought up with children, then they will be ok around them. I think that children's snappy movements scare "little doggies." I just recently bought my grandmother another schnauzer. We socialize him with children a lot. So, hopefully he will turn out the same way.

On the otherhand, I have a shih-tzu. She was never really socialized around "small children," when she was a puppy. My niece is 5 years old now, and she is just now getting to the point where she will let her pet her without running. Gizmo has always been very protective of Emily. Even when she was an infant she would sit under her crib and come and get someone if Emily would make a peep....sooooooo i guess my remark to this is if you socialize them with children they should be ok

------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails, Explore, Dream.
-Mark Twain

lisa patterson
03-01-2001, 08:46 AM
We have a beautiful border terrier / lakeland terrier cross, she is wonderful with our 6 and 2 year old girls. They cannot go anywhere with out her she is called Bracken and originally the border breeds come from lowland scotland to northern england ( hence Border ). The lakeland terrier comes from cumbria or the lake district also in the north of england but this time to the west coast. She is totally now involved in our family life and I don't know how we ever lived without her.

annibale16
03-01-2001, 03:03 PM
lisa ,
I would be interested in the border terrier. I have a silky terrier named Angus. They are really good with children too. I had one when I was growing up so naturally I picked that breed for my kids. I think small dogs are threatened by small children because they are so small themselves and have to protect themselves. Angus is very tolerant of children but not of other dogs!
I am going to "look up" the border terrier to see if that would be a good match.

lisa patterson
03-02-2001, 03:52 PM
Annibale

If you find that the Border Terrier is a suitable match for your family I've got a great book to recommend you.It's called "Pet Owner's Guide To The Border Terrier" written by Betty Judge and published through Ringpress. It's only a small but very imformative book wellworth reading, I could not put it down once I started reading it. As I had said my dog Bracken is a Border cross/ Lakeland terrier but this book has got her character written to the exact detail and is very humerous in parts.
Happy searching,
Lisa

Sadie's Mom
03-05-2001, 01:14 PM
I own a Soft-Coated Wheaton Terrier and she is absolutely wonderful with children -everyone actually. They are a very friendly dog - they are very gently and loving. They love to play and always want to be around people.

Pam
03-05-2001, 03:42 PM
Good advice, Sophie's Daddy. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif