PDA

View Full Version : Banana Bread Day!

Karen
02-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Today, February 15th, was my beloved (great) Uncle Mac's birthday. He was my Dad's uncle, and retired at least 5 times. One of the jobs he took after retiring was fixing up the buses and tractors and equipment of a nearby dairy farm. They had an Ice Cream Stand, so kept bananas on hand for banana splits. When the bananas got too spotty to use, they would often give as many as he wanted to Uncle Mac, who would take them and make banana bread enough to give away.

So today, tomorrow, have a piece of banana bread and a cup of tea in his memory! He was a farmer, mechanic, and friend to animals - he'd share his dinner with his cat, who would perch on his shoulder and eat delicately from his fork. His Border Collie, Mollie, could leap six feet in the air to catch a grape. You all would have loved him!

His recipe is here. (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=285852#post285852) I am now allergic to bananas, so cannot indulge myself.

momcat
02-15-2009, 07:19 PM
So today, tomorrow, have a piece of banana bread and a cup of tea in his memory! You all would have loved him! I am now allergic to bananas, so cannot indulge myself.

Hi Karen, I wish I did have a chance to know Uncle Mac, he sounds like a really great guy! Sorry to hear of your allergy. My Mom is extremely allergic to tomato, even a tablespoon of ketchup in meatloaf gets a nasty reaction.

I love banana bread and, with your permission, I'll have a piece and a cup of tea for you as well as myself.

Karen
02-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Hi Karen, I wish I did have a chance to know Uncle Mac, he sounds like a really great guy! Sorry to hear of your allergy. My Mom is extremely allergic to tomato, even a tablespoon of ketchup in meatloaf gets a nasty reaction.

I love banana bread and, with your permission, I'll have a piece and a cup of tea for you as well as myself.

Absolutely! Please do! :)

jennielynn1970
02-15-2009, 08:04 PM
I have banana bread that I just made the other day, so I'll definitely have a piece in his memory.

*LabLoverKEB*
02-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Oh, how funny my mom just made banana bread today, lol!:D LOL sorry pointless post, just thought is was kinda funny.;)

Karen
02-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Oh, how funny my mom just made banana bread today, lol!:D LOL sorry pointless post, just thought is was kinda funny.;)

Hee hee - the spirit of Uncle Mac lives on! :)

Barbara
02-16-2009, 02:53 AM
You know that after I first made this bread years and years ago it has proliferated among my friends. I can't tell how often I copied the recipe and I get feedback that it is really in use:D

ChrisH
02-16-2009, 10:18 AM
I've yet to taste, never mind make, banana bread. :eek: Something I intend to remedy. :D

Randi
02-16-2009, 10:39 AM
I made a Banana bread from a recipe here some years ago, but I didn't really like it. I think it's because you use very ripe bananas for it. I like mine with no brown on it at all. BUT, I'll have a banana in your uncle's memory, Karen. :) Sounds like he was great guy!

lvpets2002
02-16-2009, 12:27 PM
:) Oh I Love Banana Bread.. For sure when its Fresh from the oven with some butter.. Yum Yum.. Yes I will for sure have some banana bread in memory of your Uncle Mac..

sirrahbed
02-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Karen it just happened that I wanted banana bread a few weeks ago and so pulled up Uncle Mac's recipe and made it again. It pleased me to be making something so good that also caused his young niece to think of him and take time to share her memory (and his recipe) - and was thinking about that as it baked. Old recipes are the best that way!:) Banana bread is something my mom used to make too - and just the smell is so comforting.

*Oh and did you guys know that you can throw ripe bananas into the freezer? Don't even peel them. When you have that urge for banana bread and no ripe bananas on the counter - pull out those frozen ones and the texture will be perfect for baking when they thaw.

NicoleLJ
02-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Hey I am making a ton of mini banana breads today. Too fun

sirrahbed
06-03-2011, 04:34 PM
This recipe is worth bringing up again :) I baked a loaf of Uncle Mac's Banana Bread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=285852#post285852)today and it is heavenly!!

Karen
06-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Aww, thanks for bring this up! :)