PDA

View Full Version : My trip to the ER today

ramanth
02-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Well this will be a Valentine's Day I'll never forget. :rolleyes:

I was at the ER for nearly 5 1/2 hours. Not fun. :( An hour after my breakfast, I suddenly felt nauseous and had severe stomach cramps. I tried some pepto but that didn't help. I forced myself to vomit and that didn't help either.

After spending nearly 45 minutes curled up on the bathroom floor, bawling my eyes out, Andy finally forced me to go to the ER. They put in an IV, and took blood and a urine sample. 3 hours after they admitted me, they gave me an anti-spasm pill and my tummy started to feel a little better. I was able to hold down sips of water and crackers, so they let me go home. They couldn't find what caused the abdominal cramping, but did find that I had a bladder infection. Go figure. :rolleyes: Didn't have any symptoms for THAT.

So I'm on antibiotics for the next 3 days and then I follow up with my GP. If the stomach pain comes back, I have to go in immediately.

My back hurts (they explained from the vomiting), my arms hurt from the needles and I just feel so tired and crappy. :(

Andy has been wonderful. :love: He nearly lost it when they first admitted me in but he's doing okay now. He's treating me like I'm made of glass though. I'm trying not to milk it for all it's worth. ;)

Cincy'sMom
02-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Sorry to hear you were feeling so bad. That sounds awful! HOpe you continue to feel better...and it is okay to milk it a little ;)

joycenalex
02-14-2009, 07:34 PM
i hope you feel better soon, and milk it just a smidge....maybe morning tea and the papers with the pups in bed tomorrow morning

cassiesmom
02-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Oh, what a day! I hope the antibiotics kick in quickly and you feel much better soon!

Cinder & Smoke
02-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Well this won't be a Valentine's Day I'll forget. :rolleyes:

I was at the ER for nearly 5 1/2 hours. Not fun. :(

Andy has been wonderful. :love:
He's treating me like I'm made of glass though.

I'm trying not to milk it for all it's worth. ;)

Go ahead - *milk* away! - He owes ya some TLC from his hoppsbittle stay!

Sure hope you start Feelin Better - real QUICK-like!!

{{{Hugs}}} ;)

Freedom
02-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Oh dear, I am so sorry you had such an awful morning! Glad you are back home and on recovery! Breakfast in bed with the pups sounds like a must for your rehabilitation! ;)

Karen
02-14-2009, 08:40 PM
What a rotten way to spend the day! I hope the spasms do not return, and that you feel better soon.

Daisy and Delilah
02-14-2009, 10:19 PM
That's a bad day!! I'm so sorry. I can imagine how scary it was for everybody. I hope you're on the mend and recovering nicely.:)

A doctor told me that women are prone to bladder infections and alot of times they don't know they have them.

K9karen
02-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Well, that sucks! I hope you feel better quickly.
Excuse me for being personal, but don't you have endometriosis? I swear, you exhibited symptoms I had before they even diagnosed it. The pain took my breath away and I could barely move. No warning, just kaboom, whether I was home, driving, at work.
Whatryataklingabout? Milk it, for cryin' out loud! You deserve to be treated like a queen! Tell Andy he owes you a makeup Valentine's Day!

Catty1
02-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Oh, dear - pain and pokes and prods! So GLAD you are home and I hope you feel 100% soon!

As k9karen said...when you're feeling better, see about getting an ultrasound in case you have endo or something else. :love:

{{{{hugs}}}}

ramanth
02-14-2009, 10:52 PM
I was diagnosed with endo in 2001 and there was a distinct difference between my usual endo pain and this pain, and this one felt worse than the endo cramps I usually have. So, still don't know exactly what it was. They said probably some kind of severe gastro....something. Basically a really bad case of indigestion I guess you could say.

Karen
02-14-2009, 11:04 PM
I was diagnosed with endo in 2001 and there was a distinct difference between my usual endo pain and this pain, and this one felt worse than the endo cramps I usually have. So, still don't know exactly what it was. They said probably some kind of severe gastro....something. Basically a really bad case of indigestion I guess you could say.

If you remember what you ate today, I'd avoid it for a while - just in case.

I do hope you feel better soon.

krazyaboutkatz
02-14-2009, 11:26 PM
I'm sorry to hear this.:( I hope you feel better soon and stay that way.

I was diagnosed with gastritis last year and the pain was unbearable. Hopefully this isn't what you have too. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

DJFyrewolf36
02-14-2009, 11:28 PM
*HUGS* hope you feel better!

caseysmom
02-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Aaawww whats more romantic that being taken care of so valiantly...way to go Andy, you knight is shining armour:love:

I hope your recovery is fast.

shais_mom
02-15-2009, 12:09 AM
gosh I hope you feel better soon!

ChrisH
02-15-2009, 06:16 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/console.gif how horrible. Hope you are feeling much better today and the antibiotics have kicked in so you don't have a repeat.

Medusa
02-15-2009, 07:02 AM
Sorry to hear that you had the sickies and on Valentines Day, no less. Thankfully you're on the mend now and all will be well. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
02-15-2009, 07:46 AM
I'm glad you're feeling better now, Kimmy. Maybe next weekend you can have a make up Valentine's day?

What's with ERs and bladder infections? When I was in the ER a few weeks ago they found I had a bladder infection too. And Justin treated me like glass too, I hated it (I'm not a person who likes being babied).

beeniesmom
02-15-2009, 08:03 AM
Oh I'm so sorry. I hope you feel better soon.

lizbud
02-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Wow, sorry you were so ill.:( You haven't been eating any BAD peanut
butter have you? I hope you feel much better today.

ramanth
02-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks everybody. The tummy is feeling better and I hope the meds are helping the infection. Can't really say for sure as it never hurt to go potty. :o

All I had that morning was Kashi cereal and soy milk. Contaminated peanuts were ruled out. Nothing in the house on the recall list.

I just woke up and I'm giving Oatmeal with bananas a shot with a glass of cranberry juice. Fingers crossed. :D

RedHedd
02-15-2009, 11:51 AM
That sounds scary. I'm glad you're back @ home and Andy is nursing you. I'm with everyone else - milk it ;) you deserve it. :D

phesina
02-15-2009, 04:06 PM
How awful! So glad you are doing better now. Take care.

carole
02-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Not your'e ideal romantic valentines day, sorry you had to endure such unbearable pain, i really feel for you, i guess they checked you out at the hospital, but i was wondering if it had anything to do with your large bowel, not long ago, i was in awful pain, and they found i had an inflammed large bowel and diverticulitis,i was put on an anti spasmodic medication which did the trick, anyhow just thought it worth a mention, one never knows what is around the corner do they? i hope you are feeling better now and have no more repeat of this awful pain, HUGS. and keep well.:):love:

Edwina's Secretary
02-15-2009, 04:19 PM
"I feel your pain..."

Last Labor Day weekend I was so miserable and terrified! I was afraid it was another diverticulitus attack! Instead it was a nasty bladder infection.

Quickly cured...but count your blessings. I didn't get ANY special treatment from my husband! :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Hope you feel better soon!

kitten645
02-16-2009, 12:15 AM
Get well soon! I had the same thought about peanut butter! :D
It's amazing some things are just that way:
a) I always end up in the ER on a weekend or holiday. NEVER at 3PM on a Tues when I can see MY DR!
b) Men don't know how to handle a sick woman but boy oh boy do they know how to BE sick! LOL! Last time I was really sick, my BF INSISTED on coming over to "take care" of me. I wanted to strangle him! I just wanted to sleep and be left alone. LOL!
However it is sweet that Andy is treasuring you in your down time.
Hope you are better in no time!
Claudia

k9krazee
02-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Aww Kimmy, I'm glad you're feeling better now!

Randi
02-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Sorry to hear you were so sick, Kimmy. Hope you're getting better all the time. Porridge and bananas sound like a good idea. :)

((((Hugs))))

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Oh dear, that really sounds so painful :eek:!! I hope that your meds kick in soon :):love:

ramanth
02-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks all! I'm feeling a lot better today. I actually made it to the gym and got a workout in. :) My follow-up with Dr. Eaton is on the 19th.

kimlovescats
02-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Girl, I sure am glad you are "ok"! That had to be very scary!

(hugs)
Kim

ramanth
02-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks Kim. :) :love:

Follow up to the doctor was today. Bladder infection is all gone! :D Everything else checked out okay. :)

Catty1
02-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Great news!

Bladder infections can REALLY make a person sick - especially men.

I personally know two men who had a bladder infection go on a little too long - and wound up in hospital for several days because sepsis had got into their blood streams!

HUGS! Glad you're back in form!:D

funny felines
02-21-2009, 04:36 PM
been there, done that! so sorry to hear you were ill, I know exactly how it feels, I have also gone to the ER about 5 years ago,for the same thing,(gastritis) it is NOT fun. I also was on the floor crying! it is BAD pain. hope you are feeling better now. be careful of what you eat for at least the next week or 2. good luck.

phesina
02-21-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm so glad that you are feeling so much better now!