PDA

View Full Version : dog jobs?

stace1319
02-14-2009, 07:12 AM
ok, so I know everyone says that all dogs need a job, right? Well, is walking considered enouph or do they need more? I would like to get my dogs doing more to give them more exercise and more stimulation, but I'm not sure what. What kinds of training would be the right fit for them? There really arn't any groups or anything around here I don't think so it's kind of hard to get them into anything. Aparently Shyanne likes chasing things through the woods (maybe rabbits) still not sure though. She slready knows alot of commands such as sit, stay, come, laydown, shake, and sit up. Brownie seems to be really smart and a pritty calm dog, except for when I first come home or walk outside. I think he is beagle/ lab mix and he knows sit and laydown so far, he learned that one last night. oh, and recall. Harley is really smart too. He has learned sit, laydown, stay, recall, shake, just learned rollover, and we are now working on stay while I throw a toy and wait untill I say so. I would still like to find a sort of "job" for them to do. What would be something good for them?

Seravieve
02-14-2009, 09:33 AM
We give Bunny a job when we're on a walk, so she's less on guard and also gets more of a work out.. She wears a doggy backpack and carries canned goods. She loves it. When we get out the backpack she knows whats going on and sits down so we can put it on her. It helps to keep her more under control during the walk, so she is less likely to bark/react to other dogs and people.

stace1319
02-14-2009, 09:43 AM
We give Bunny a job when we're on a walk, so she's less on guard and also gets more of a work out.. She wears a doggy backpack and carries canned goods. She loves it. When we get out the backpack she knows whats going on and sits down so we can put it on her. It helps to keep her more under control during the walk, so she is less likely to bark/react to other dogs and people.

that's a good idea!

bckrazy
02-14-2009, 05:13 PM
It seems like tracking could be a lot of fun for your dogs, and it's fairly easy. All you really need is a scent article. :)

MonicanHonda
02-15-2009, 09:48 AM
I've heard the backpack is a good idea.

Seravieve
02-15-2009, 12:30 PM
I'd definitely say the backpack works. Bunny came with a lot of issues and walks were difficult to take her on because she was crazy. She charged cars, people, dogs, squirrels, etc. and she's also bitten me once or twice because she'd get so on edge while walking that any sudden movement caught her off guard.

Since the backpack, she's much easier to walk. Cars still bother her, especially when they come up behind her (Even if we're on the sidewalk). But with the backpack, she's in the mode.. Her ears are back, heads down, and she walks pretty quick. She'll look at other dogs, but doesnt bark at all.

And the best part? She's tired when we get back. =)

(Oh and I know this is a taboo subject.. but we got the backpack idea from Cesar Milan...)

MonicanHonda
02-15-2009, 01:29 PM
I'd definitely say the backpack works. Bunny came with a lot of issues and walks were difficult to take her on because she was crazy. She charged cars, people, dogs, squirrels, etc. and she's also bitten me once or twice because she'd get so on edge while walking that any sudden movement caught her off guard.

Since the backpack, she's much easier to walk. Cars still bother her, especially when they come up behind her (Even if we're on the sidewalk). But with the backpack, she's in the mode.. Her ears are back, heads down, and she walks pretty quick. She'll look at other dogs, but doesnt bark at all.

And the best part? She's tired when we get back. =)

(Oh and I know this is a taboo subject.. but we got the backpack idea from Cesar Milan...)

Lol, that's where I got it from too. :-P