PDA

View Full Version : It is hot down under...too hot for me..

carole
02-11-2009, 09:10 PM
New Zealand is having a heat wave at the moment, the humidity is like 88 per cent, it is very sub tropical and i HATE it, with a passion, i am not fond of the hot weather full stop, but this is awful,to all those who live in sub tropical countries i take my hat off to you.

We are also heading for another drought in the waikato, the area I live in (pronounced Why Cat Oh), we are supposed to be having a torrent of rain today, but alas it has not come, the humidity levels are supposed to drop soon, i cannot wait, last night was awful, i ended up having two cold showers in the evening just to cool down.

How is your weather?

RICHARD
02-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Also hearing about the fires in OZ.

Prayers sent down to you all!

Be safe and HYDRATE!:eek:

caseysmom
02-11-2009, 09:14 PM
It rainy and about 55 degrees fahrenheit, my daughter is out diving in it she would love the heat:D

Karen
02-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Unseasonably warm - it was 50 degrees F today, so I was able to clear some of the ice on the driveway. But it is still February, so I expect freezing temperatures to return at any second!

Moesha
02-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Warm (close to 70) but tornadoes here today.

beeniesmom
02-12-2009, 06:15 AM
Hi Carole, I feel your pain. It can get terribly hot and humid in Florida too. We have been yoyoing from really cold to really hot. Just stay indoors and hydrated. Drink lots of water and stay in an air conditioned environment.

Marigold2
02-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Warm about 50 and horribly windy. Lots and lots of rain yesterday here in Ohio. I believe the cold weather is returning soon. Home with the flu which bits.:mad:
Good wishes to all, may your weather be fair and mild regardless where on this earth you call home. Stay safe.

Medusa
02-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Typical crazy Ohio weather. It was 0 last week and we had over a foot of snow. Yesterday it was 58 w/60 mph winds. :confused:

Taz_Zoee
02-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Its actually pretty cold here (for Cali). Rainy and snow in Tahoe. But that's all good. We need rain and snow. I'm going to Tahoe this weekend and the forecast calls for rain/snow everyday.
Here in the Bay Area when it rains it is usually a bit warmer than it is now. (just checked weather online and its 41F) I constantly have my space heater on under my desk these days. Not usual for me.

But I am not looking forward to a scorching summer. So I do feel for you.

caseysmom
02-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Its actually pretty cold here (for Cali). Rainy and snow in Tahoe. But that's all good. We need rain and snow. I'm going to Tahoe this weekend and the forecast calls for rain/snow everyday.
Here in the Bay Area when it rains it is usually a bit warmer than it is now. (just checked weather online and its 41F) I constantly have my space heater on under my desk these days. Not usual for me.

But I am not looking forward to a scorching summer. So I do feel for you.

Take your chains!

davidpizzica
02-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Sis. I have sympathy for you. In our summer we have 90 degree days with close to 100% humidity. That usually the time I'm usually cutting grass on the golf course. Last night we had thunderstorms and strong winds come through and power lines were knocked down and tree limbs were flying around and I didn't have power from midnigt until about 10:00 this morning. Right now it's 37 degrees and still windy.

Randi
02-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Carole, you have my sympathy. I remember how humid it was in Dominican Republic and I bet yours is as bad or worse. :( I have seen the horrible fires in Australia, so many have lost everything. :( I hope it cools down soon and you'll be safe. Drink a lot of water!

It's not too bad here, we have just below freezing. :)

This picture should help cool you down a bit. Wouldn't you just LOVE to lay in that snow - for just 30 seconds.

DJFyrewolf36
02-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Can I trade with you? ;) Its been right around 30 F at night and getting up to about 50 during the day...way too cold for me still. I actually LIKE it when the temp goes over 80 :rolleyes:

Taz_Zoee
02-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Take your chains!

Yeah, I know. :( Thanks!! :) I'm just glad Bruce will be driving. I hate driving in the snow.
I also had to remind my parents to bring their chains. They are coming up on Saturday.

jewellnz
02-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Firstly my darlings, i do not live in AUSTRALIA, shame on you Richard lol, you already know that, NEW ZEALAND is a complete different country,(we in NZ don't really like to be called Aussies,one because we are not, we are Kiwis, and we have a somewhat friendly rivarly between countries, although not always lol, )it is a bit like calling an american a canadian,we are around three hours by plane over the ocean,and OZ gets way hotter than New Zealand normally, but we are catching up fast, we even had 32 c in Auckland yesterday, which is typical Brisbane weather.

I heard the humidity was a 100 per cent, it did rain last night and cooled a little, sadly most of us in NZ don't have air con in their homes, although i am working on that one, i hope to eventually put a heat pump in our home, alas my dental treatment took that dream away last year,but one day one day, our shops are air con though, but none of the schools here are, i feel for my poor girl at school every day in this muggy weather.

Today is a bit cooler, good breeze, but the breeze is quite warm at times, and we really need the rain, bring it on please.

We have some places that are extreme fire risks at the moment too, so what is happening in Oz could well happen here,but not to that extent i think,yes i really feel for my dear neighbours ,it is a terrible time for them over there.

I have decided i love a nice 22 degrees c, that is perfect for me, now where in the world has that all year round? i would shift in a heart beat lol.

Hope you are all bearing your conditions whether it is freezing cold or roasting hot,please Autumn roll on,my favourite time of year.:)

Taz_Zoee
02-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Carole, have you seen the show Flight of the Conchords (I don't know where it shows, but its on HBO here, I think). They are the two guys (Bret and Jemaine) from NZ living in America trying to make it as a "band".
One recent episode a middle eastern man shuned them because they were from Australia. I mean treated them very bad. Wouldn't let them purchase fruit from his stand. It was funny. Then once he found out they were from New Zealand he was all nice to them. LOL
When I hear them talk I always try to imagine your voice. :D

G535
02-13-2009, 03:07 AM
Last Saturday (when the worst of the fires hit) the temperature was up to 48C in places, 46C to 47C in most other areas. It's not always like this in Victoria though, just a combination of drought, extra high temps and the firebugs that started it all.

Firebugs are arsonists for those who don't understand some of our expressions.

cloverfdx
02-13-2009, 06:51 AM
G535, the quicker these a$$holes are caught the better. It has been horrible :(. It is suppose to be warming up over the weekend, lets hope not too much and that the winds are not too over the top again. Possible showers on Tuesday, hopefully we get some decent rain.

Firstly my darlings, i do not live in AUSTRALIA,
I am pretty sure he was refering to the Australian bushfires, not that you live in Australia.

carole
02-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Richard has confused me with an aussie before lol,(i forgive him,coz i like him, )but hey that ain't so bad really, i quite like my aussie mates, even though i have to pretend we hate each other, lol.

Oh my the temps must be unbearable over there, i can only imagine, i was dying here of the heat, but would you believe it is really cold here today, i am wearing my lightweight winter clothes, talk about extreme from really hot to this, strange weather indeed, and it is rainy and windy too, i could even put the heater on but i will save power and wrap up in a blanket and watch the telly later.:)

Oh yes i know of the guys you mention indeed,they are doing pretty well i believe,i once did a voice message on a thread we had,so everyone could hear my accent, but i no longer have the microphone etc,i am not typical kiwi though as i was brought up in a home with a very broad aberdonian accent (scottish),i also speak to my parents differently than to my husband and children so i tend to sound a little different,and as i have said before many times we do sound similar to the Aussies, some of them are almost the same, but we do pronounce differently they say fish and cheeps we say fush and chups,aka as fish and chips, he he.

RICHARD
02-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Firstly my darlings, i do not live in AUSTRALIA, shame on you Richard lol, you already know that, NEW ZEALAND is a complete different country,(we in NZ don't really like to be called Aussies,one because we are not, we are Kiwis, and we have a somewhat friendly rivarly between countries, although not always lol, )it is a bit like calling an american a canadian,we are around three hours by plane over the ocean,and OZ gets way hotter than New Zealand normally, but we are catching up fast, we even had 32 c in Auckland yesterday, which is typical Brisbane weather.

DUDE!
Carole already called me on that one!:eek:;)

MY reference to OZ was that they too were getting baked and we (canandians) were getting reports of the temps and fires down under!

And Carole only likes me because of the rather large checks I send her, My goal is to have at least one friend on each continent.....Forget the cost!:rolleyes:

I have you geographically covered and wonder why the Aussies and Kiwis don't take a turn being on top of my world globe!:confused::eek::cool:

carole
02-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Dudess if you don't mind Richard, ha got ya matey, Jewellnz and i are the same person, i lost my log in once ages ago and had to start afresh, i must have accidentally logged in, using it, i use Jewellnz for many other sites he he.

Besides you need a good wrap over the knuckles, calling me an Aussie twice now,don't be trying to wriggle out of it, you know it,DUDE.

You are what we kiwis refer to as a hardcase or a real dag, , don't worry my friend it is complimentary, well the first one is, the second still means the same as the first, but also has refers to something else.not telling you what lol.keep you guessing.:):D

Anyhow back to the topic, down under is very pleasant today, not too hot, but sunny and a refreshing breeze.

BTW you are late with your cheque this month, so pay up Richard OR ELSE.