PDA

View Full Version : Purchased my very first digital SLR!

CountryWolf07
02-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Today, I purchased my first digital SLR - a Nikon D60, after a LONG time of researching on which ones would be best for me. I actually got a very good deal and bought it on-line. I should get it by next week.

I am very excited! :) My grandparents had left me money over the years, (bond money) and they wanted us to save it and use it for a very good reason, and so I chose this reason. I consider it as a college graduation present from them.

I believe it will help me with my freelancing business and whatever art career I choose to have in my future. My brothers chose to use theirs towards a laptop. I could've chosen to do a laptop but I would rather a digital SLR. :)

Husky_mom
02-11-2009, 01:54 PM
I´m so happy for you... I can´t wait to see fresh from the "oven" pics....

I´m soooo envious... in a good way of course.... have fun with it!!

Moesha
02-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Good deal! Where did you buy it? I'm still debating my D80 purchase. I just got notice yesterday that my D60 was refunded. I should wait until I sell my old car, but I really want it now. You did very well. I have been looking at the 80 with the 18-55 and 55-200 VR lenses. I think the lowest I've found right now is 789. Well I did find it cheaper one other place, but I'm not familiar with them and am a little cautious to buy something that expensive online from a company I don't know much about.

CountryWolf07
02-11-2009, 02:58 PM
I am actually going to purchase it on Friday when I get home. It will be at Best Buy - There is a deal where I can get an extra lens with the purchase, a 55-200mm - so I am basically paying $700, but saving $200 off because of the second lens I will get with it. :) I figured I would get more out of with a D60 rather than D80 - because of what I will be getting.

Moesha
02-11-2009, 03:10 PM
You can get the D80 with those same lenses for $90 more. And you may not have to pay sales tax. I don't know what you pay, but here in TN that is almost 10%. Go to www.live.com and search for Nikon D80. If you sign up for a free live.com account, you can get cast back. Just something else to look into. That's what I think I'm going to get.

Freedom
02-11-2009, 03:14 PM
No matter which way you order it, should be fun - a new toy! Can't wait for you to start posting - photos, that is! :D

CountryWolf07
02-11-2009, 07:59 PM
You can get the D80 with those same lenses for $90 more. And you may not have to pay sales tax. I don't know what you pay, but here in TN that is almost 10%. Go to www.live.com and search for Nikon D80. If you sign up for a free live.com account, you can get cast back. Just something else to look into. That's what I think I'm going to get.

Thanks for the suggestion! BUT, my dad got too excited... and went ahead and bought me the D60.. including a 4mb card and a uv lense filter... LOL! I wanted him to wait for me to come home on Friday, then he called me an hour after we talked about it and he said he was at Best Buy and asked if it was OK for him to go ahead and buy it so I would have it ready to play with when I get home for the weekend. I guess he couldn't wait just a few more days! ;)

Moesha
02-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Congratulations! I just had the D60 for about 3 months before I returned it. I liked it a lot. I bought it at QVC and with shipping and tax had paid $725 and it only had the 18-55 VR lens. I knew it wasn't a good deal, but I liked their return policy of being able to keep it until Jan 31. I wanted to make sure it was something that I would use. I brought it with me several places, but I didn't always take it out of the camera bag because it was so big. I am going on vacation in March and want another SLR. I really want the two lenses. That deal at Best Buy is pretty good, but once I add $70 for TN sales tax, I can buy the D80 for the same price. I will be looking forward to seeing plenty of pictures!

CountryWolf07
02-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Congratulations! I just had the D60 for about 3 months before I returned it. I liked it a lot. I bought it at QVC and with shipping and tax had paid $725 and it only had the 18-55 VR lens. I knew it wasn't a good deal, but I liked their return policy of being able to keep it until Jan 31. I wanted to make sure it was something that I would use. I brought it with me several places, but I didn't always take it out of the camera bag because it was so big. I am going on vacation in March and want another SLR. I really want the two lenses. That deal at Best Buy is pretty good, but once I add $70 for TN sales tax, I can buy the D80 for the same price. I will be looking forward to seeing plenty of pictures!

That's great, whatever works out for you! I knew I had a good deal because I know those lenses can be very pricey! What's nice is that I could always add accessories to the camera, but for now, I should be good for a while. You definitely will see some pictures next week! I will be experimenting them over the weekend. :) Thank you!

finn's mom
02-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Congratulations, I love my Nikon. David is already looking at something bigger for me, although I'm really fine with my D80. Boys and their toys (and even their wives' toys!). I don't really mind, though, haha. Have fun, we had better see tons of photos from your new baby! :D