PDA

View Full Version : How's your company doing?

M&M's Mommy
02-10-2009, 08:17 PM
I see it on the news everyday that companies are laying off people.. make me wonder how's YOUR company doing?

I work for a pharmaceuticals company. It is doing okay. While we don't get any raise right now, we still get our bonus... Most importantly, they do not lay off anyone. We do have to watch out budget more carefully, re-prioritize things and hold off on certain projects.. Other than that, it's business as usual. We do, however, feel the affects of the economy in an indirect way.. like our vendors/contract manufacturers are laying off their people, so it takes longer for us to receive our orders, etc..

Our board of directors did make a promise that if everything is going well as it is hoped, everyone'll be getting a raise in June, which will be prorated back to Jan 1st!! Right now, it seems too good to be true, so we'll have to wait and see.

How's your company coping with the economy downfall? Do you notice any changes in the way they operate?, and if you don't mind to share, what type of company/industry are you working for?

chocolatepuppy
02-10-2009, 08:28 PM
The plastic factory I work at is getting along ok. We have a few people laid off and no overtime, but thank God, are working. We were suppose to be shutdown over the holidays but worked. It's a shame so many are losing their jobs.:(

Desert Arabian
02-10-2009, 08:58 PM
I lost my job at the end of November and am STILL hunting for a job. It is absolutely ridiculous. Everything available right now is mainly medical jobs (registered nurses, LPN's, etc) and part time minimum wage jobs. I worked for an outdoor retailer called Sportsman's Warehouse, similar to Cabela's - supplies items for campers, fisherman, hunters, etc. While I was employed with the company there was talk that our store was on the list to be shut down. They did shut down the store about 35 miles north of the one I worked at. I'm sure it won't be long until it does. Our inventory wasn't being replenished and they cut back on a lot of purchasing. I also noticed that a lot of items were being marked on clearance, more than normal. I wish August would get here a little faster so I could go back to school to better my chances of getting a secure, well-paying job.

My boyfriend is a welder and his place of employment recently laid off over half of the employees - anyone who has been there 20+ years or making over a certain amount. The company is called International Thermal Systems and they make large industrial ovens. Ovens used by beer & soda companies to place labels on cans- they make ovens for other uses also. Luckily, since he's fairly new to the company and isn't being paid quite as much as others they kept him....for now. If he looses his job we'll be in BIG trouble - he made twice what I made when I was employed. It really sucks for him because now he has to finish the jobs of those who got cut, plus his pay has been frozen and he won't be receiving the decent raise he was anticipating on getting.

I kind of wish I was a little kid again, so none of this would be on my mind and causing me extreme stress! :p To those who still have jobs I hope you don't loose them and please don't complain about your job either....at least you have one. ;)

Alysser
02-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Six Flags is apparently on the list of going Bankrupt this year. They most likely will close some of the less popular parks, but our park was voted "Best Park" so it will definitely not be closed. They wasted SO MUCH money on the stupid "Dark Knight" ride last year it was terrible. :rolleyes: But we're still at the top, and my department got a raise this year for being the best entertainment dep. in all the parks :D Six Flags has always had money issues but the slower parks aren't gonna be able to stay afloat this year I'm afraid and many people will loose their jobs :(

CountryWolf07
02-10-2009, 09:30 PM
My boyfriend works for Lincoln Electric. They have been laying off people for a couple weeks now. Mike is saying that they laid off people who have not accepted "early retirement", and they already laid off all in Marketing & IT, also, and if not enough people retire or something towards that, they will let go all under 3 years of experience, and it would include Mike. I am hoping it will not happen. That company would be dumb enough to let him go, he is one of their best, hard working people at that company.

Taz_Zoee
02-10-2009, 09:40 PM
I work for a company that manages homeowners associations. Surprisingly we have not laid anyone off in a while. I'd like to say I feel secure in my position, but in this company NOBODY should feel safe. I always joke that I wouldn't be surprised if the owner was fired.
I am one of the accountants. We process the associations financial reports and deal with the CPA's at year ends for review and tax returns. There are three of us, one is my boss and the other is a temp. So if anyone was to go it'd be the temp.
I was wanting to get a job closer to home (of course I've been saying this for about 3 years now) but that's going to have to wait. I'll deal with the commute for now.
Bruce is in real estate and mortgages. So his work is very slow. He is basically self employed so no fear of a lay off. But no work means no money.

I was just saying that I will NOT complain about my job and I am just thankful that I have one.

Edwina's Secretary
02-10-2009, 09:49 PM
I am an HR Consultant with a number of clients - small to mid-sized private companies. Medical, manufacturing, distribution. No more retail. They closed.

All are suffering. I have laid off too many people and it breaks my heart. It is part of the job but I hate doing it.

If you have a job the only question you should ask your boss is.."what else can I do to help the company?"

It is a jungle out there.

Laura's Babies
02-10-2009, 10:16 PM
The company I work for sent out a email recently saying things are good and they foresee no problems. They said since we can move so much more product than trains, trucks and other transport methods, so much cheaper that things will really have to get bad to effect us... However, that could be them just putting on a good front.

To me it sounds like they have a lot of boats tied up and are having a problem crewing up the ones that are running.. a shortage of people to run the boats seem to be their biggest probelm.

3Catcondo
02-11-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm in telecom and I have seen alot of my coworkers laid off the last year and a half. I thank god everyday that I still have my job. I feel so bad for everyone who is losing their job these days. It's a horrible horrible thing and I pray that they will find work soon, and that the economy will turn around sooner rather than later.

Marigold2
02-11-2009, 07:47 AM
My husband works in Audio/Vidio and his clients are the disgustly rich, they are still so, business is booming. But no bonues this year.
I work for two eye Dr's. People still need of eyesight so I am ok. Also no bonus, but a steady paycheck.
My daughter works for a retail food store, they are doing well. Has a pet sitting business as well.
My oldest son is an IT, doing well. Also Navy Reserve.
Middle son is a waiter in a 5 star resturant, doing well. Has a second job at the Olive Garden, where business is very brisk.
Another son works for a plant nursery, is being called to work early. Does odd landscaping on the side as well. His wife to be works for a phone company and is being sent to the Phillipians for three weeks for training.
All four kids have second jobs which vary greatly in hours spent working. But at least they are trying to stay ahead of the game.
So far we are ok. But you just never know.
My neighbor lost his job,worked for a bank.
The medical profession is very secure, people still get sick, how sad that is but if you are a nurse you have it made.

BitsyNaceyDog
02-11-2009, 07:53 AM
My husband works for a small web development firm. A year ago they had about 10 employees and were doing really well, now they've laid off all but three. Luckily my husband is one of the remaining three. He's already been told that the other two will be laid off before he does, if it comes to that. Right now he's working on a major project for a BIG company and they have already signed on for another year. The client has made it clear that Justin is the only one they want on the project and they want him 40 hours a week. So right now he has pretty decent job security. His pay was cut back a few months ago though.

Donnaj4962
02-11-2009, 08:00 AM
I work for a non-profit, and we are certainly struggling as many people and Foundations are limiting their donations. :::sigh:::

This month, all full time office staff has been asked to take one day off without pay. This will help us with some bills. It is certainly a sacrifice, but no one has outwardly complained. I know that everyone is grateful for their jobs and that we haven't had to permanently cut any positions or services. But it is very scary and who knows what is going to happen in the near future.

A friend of mine was "laid off" from the warehouse of a major women's clothing store. He had been there for 10 years, and this is the second time this has happened to him. This time is permanent though. He is packing up and moving 3 hours north to take care of his aging parents since there are no jobs available.

mruffruff
02-11-2009, 08:16 AM
I work for a company that distributes neon sign supplies to the people who sell parts to sign installers. There are only a few companies in the U.S. to compete with.

Unfortunately, neon is being replaced by LED lights in a lot of situations, so we are being hit with a double whammy. (The bosses didn't move into the LED sales until recently).

We have had no lay-offs, but some have had their hours cut, some have had their pay rate cut. Purchases are strictly monitored. Cash receipts are down. The bosses have made personal loans of over a quarter of a million dollars to pay invoices and keep us afloat. In the 20 years I've been here, it's never been this bad.

Personally, I'm OK. I work 3 days a week and could live on my Social Security if I had to. But I feel for those who have families to support in these lousy economic times.

smokey the elder
02-11-2009, 08:46 AM
*crosses fingers* So far, so good. I work for a private pharma company who is always pretty tight with cash, so they have a sizeable "war chest". A lot of groups are getting outsourced, but not Analytical (my group) so far. I don't know about raises or bonuses; they give those out in March.

Nomilynn
02-11-2009, 09:17 AM
I was laid off on October 3rd from a direct mail marketing company. It had slowed down drastically and from what I hear from friends that still work there, they have now laid off so many people they are shorthanded to finish the business they are getting.

I have had I think a total of 4 interviews, including one that I have later today, since being laid off. I have applied for countless jobs.. I can't even remember any more how many I've put my name in for. I'm just keeping a job log as I apply and when I get a phone call at least I can reference the application. The interview I have today is with a medical clinic so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that I can get it, because it sounds like it would be a pretty stable job.

Gracefulsarah
02-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Both my husband and I are still employed, thank God. I work for a school district in California (not as a teacher), and thankfully, our district prioritizes jobs. They only lay off after cutting supplies budgets, and anything else they can. Last year, we laid off lots of computer techs, librarians, and kidergarten teachers. Most have been brought back (not sure why), but I have a feeling they will have to be let go again before next year begins (July 1st). As for my department, there is 1 person who was hired after me, so I believe she would be cut before I would. (There are 5 people in my dept including the director, and I've been here over 5years.)

As for my husband, I would really be surprised if his company survived the next few years. They had a staff of about 40, and laid off 25% right before Christmas. They also made almost everyone cut down on their hours, from 8 to 7 a day. He does software tech support, and the stress levels were already too high. Add to that 1 person from his department being let go and shorter hours in which to do the same amount of work, and the stress skyrockets. Their customers have actuallly been complaining because the tech guys don't get back to them within a "reasonable amount of time" anymore. So, they're going to hire one guy for the tech support department, and they gave my husband back the hour a day.

I'm very thankful that we seem to be secure for the moment. We both are willing to deal wtih the commuting to keep our jobs in this tough economy. :)

K9karen
02-11-2009, 11:10 PM
I was a corporate travel agent for 30+ years, and got laid off (highest paid) in 2003, due to 9/11.

A few of my friends still have their travel jobs, but with company layoffs and budget crunches, probably won't for long. I guess I'm lucky to be on disability, so I have something.

This is a scary, sad, time for everybody. I'm so thankful I have a place to live and food to eat. I've totally changed my buying habits. If it ain't on sale, it don't get bought! And if it's not a necessity, furgetaboutit!

I hope all you PTers are OK.

Sirrahsim
02-12-2009, 08:07 AM
My husband is active duty in the US Air Force so we are safe at the moment. His field has one of the lowest retention rates in the military because there is SO much money to be made on the outside. They can replace some jobs in the militray with civilians (non military folk) but even taking our benefits into account, they would have to more than triple his salary to ellicit any kind of interest from the outside workforce. It's just more cost effective to keep him.

moosmom
02-12-2009, 08:14 AM
How's MY company doing?? Well, Mollie is sleeping in the window, Murphy sleeping on the floor next to me, Shorty looking for the litterbox. Who knows about the others. Oh! You mean company as in work. Ooops, never mind.:p

Bengalz
02-12-2009, 09:27 AM
We're still firing on all cylinders, thank goodness ... but with changes. As economic conditions impact areas of our business, we need to re-think how we use our people resources and I admire our senior leaders for being proactive in their thinking rather than reactive. Being a subsidiary of a fairly large and powerful, conservative-thinking Canadian organization really helps.

I am fortunate to work with a small team who manages our largest client and as such, although everyone is feeling the impact of these times, in a sense we are busier in maintaining that relationship and thinking through new strategies to protect that portfolio. I'm grateful to have this opportunity and my heart really hurts for all those whose lives today are being disrupted and disarrayed.

As challenging as things are, I hope there are good lessons learned from this situation and that we all come out in a better place.

wolf_Q
02-12-2009, 10:06 AM
I work at a grooming salon. Last Christmas was by far the slowest Christmas we've ever had, and I've worked there for over 6 years. After Christmas we barely had any business at all. We work on commission so I pretty much working for nothing. Actually since around last September I've been averaging a couple hundred less per paycheck. It's understandable though, when times are tough getting your pet groomed isn't exactly high in the priority list. Things are starting to pick up a bit now though, we've actually had some business. Luckily I haven't been faced with the prospect of losing my job, I know many people have. :(

DJFyrewolf36
02-12-2009, 10:26 AM
I work for a security company that is worldwide so we always have clients. My area has laid off some people though as some of the clients have gone out of business :(.

There will always bee a need for security, sadly so I know I'm in a steady line of work. I just don't know if I want to do it forever but right now its what I got and I am darn glad!

binka_nugget
02-12-2009, 11:20 AM
I work for a very small data management company. It's just me and another girl here. Fortunately our clients save money when they have their documents scanned and electronically stored, rather than physically stored in a warehouse.. so we're doing well.

Puckstop31
02-12-2009, 01:37 PM
We are blessed to be busier than ever. Seriously. We are looking to hire another tech, maybe two.

We are a small IT integrator, specializing in Microsoft Small Business solutions. We just inked a new, LARGE contract that will be pushing us into the mid sized business space. That and we were selected, out of almost 52,000 applicants, to be one of 12 Microsoft Gold Certified Partners to participate in the Windows 7 launch event in October. (Until Microsoft changes the release date....LOL)

So, like I said, we are very blessed. My problem now revolves around not seeing my home in the evening until after dark. LOL

If any of you know a Windows geek looking for a job and are in the central PA area... Let me know. :)

caseysmom
02-12-2009, 02:06 PM
I work for the state of ca, we just got furloughed 2 days a month so basically a 9 percent pay cut.

I have worked there for 24 years so not too worried about being laid off but it could happen to some of the new hires. Contrary to popular belief we work our butts off but Arnold doesn't see it that way, we are the first on his chopping block.

I am not complaining and I am thankful for a secure job that pays good benefits.

Twisterdog
02-12-2009, 11:07 PM
I own my own business, which is thriving, thank goodness. I am looking to hire a couple more groomers, but just haven't found the right ones yet.

My husband's employer, however, is doing layoffs and pay cuts left and right. So far, neither one has affected us yet, but it may come.

Scary stuff.

krazyaboutkatz
02-13-2009, 01:42 AM
I work at a dental lab. Our boss hasn't laid off any one but last year we were quite slow so I was rarely able to work even 8 hours a day. I get paid by the hour so my paycheck wasn't what it should be.

Now we've really picked up and I've been able to work 8 hours most days with some overtime. This week has been extra busy since Monday is a holiday. I'm lucky to have a job and to also have enough work to do.:)

mruffruff
02-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Five days after my original posting and things aren't looking any better.

Today I was told that hours were again being cut for several people and 2 would be laid off. I was cut by 3 hours a week ( from 24 to 21). The owner cut his own pay in half.

Doesn't sound good at all.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
02-17-2009, 11:29 PM
I work at a grooming salon. Last Christmas was by far the slowest Christmas we've ever had, and I've worked there for over 6 years. After Christmas we barely had any business at all. We work on commission so I pretty much working for nothing. Actually since around last September I've been averaging a couple hundred less per paycheck. It's understandable though, when times are tough getting your pet groomed isn't exactly high in the priority list. Things are starting to pick up a bit now though, we've actually had some business. Luckily I haven't been faced with the prospect of losing my job, I know many people have. :(

I'm also a groomer. After Christmas is usually slow, but this year was bad, and it's still pretty slow. But one groomer lost her husband, so both her and her mom are gone for a while, so we're down two groomers.

CountryWolf07
02-18-2009, 09:40 PM
So far, Mike still has his job... and it's almost the end of February. I am still praying he doesn't lose it - I still haven't found a job either and I am graduating in March.

ramanth
02-18-2009, 10:09 PM
I work at a law school library and enrollment has been steady and they keep giving me more duties, so I feel pretty secure.

Though I count my blessings that Andy and I have work.

He works part-time here at the library as well and they are giving him more duties. He also works part time at a fitness center. They recently cut back his hours since enrollment was down, but then just today gave him back 3 hours.

Happy to be working.

Cincy'sMom
02-18-2009, 10:59 PM
My company is sending mixed messages. We are down ~20% from last year. That is misleading becuase 2008 was our best year ever. We are still above 2007 profit.

Unfortunately, we have more employees then in 2007, and higher overhead. As a result, we have all been asked to use up vacation time, cut hours down to 32 per week if you are hourly, or take a pay cut is you are salaried and out of vacation time. There are 2 departments in the company that have been exempted from these cuts. I do not work for either of them, but with my background, I have been given permission to charge 32 hours/month of my time to one of those departments, allowing me to save vacation time and keep full pay. We do show signs of picking up and I am hoping my mid-summer, we will be back at full hours. But I think everyone is in agreement we would rather all give a little then see any of our co-workers loose their jobs completely.

Ralph works in automotive, and realistically, should have been laid off in the last round of cuts. But his boss feels that he is essential to the company's operation and fought to keep him on.

We are definately some of the lucky ones at this point.

Uabassoon
02-18-2009, 11:15 PM
I was laid off from Starbucks last week. It's been all over the news lately that the company is not doing well. Before I left all of our baristas and supervisors hours had been cut, they even had us running our store on negative labor. Many of us who were salaried, such as myself, lost their jobs. Hopefully I can find something soon, I'm not picky so even if I have to work for min. wage a job is a job. Thankfully I'll be done with school soon and I'll just keep my fingers crossed that more doors will open for me.

CountryWolf07
02-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Mike's company, Lincoln Electric isn't doing so hot either, but THIS week is the LAST week of firing/letting go employees/workers - and Mike still has his job.. we both are hoping he stays on board - We'll find out the next couple days... It's all a waiting game. I hate it. I told him that whatever happens, we'll be there for each other and he is just looking forward to me coming back home from graduating in a few weeks..

catnapper
02-25-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm doing well at work... well, February has been a tough month for me, but the company is fairing well. Mom finds out friday if she has a job or not :(

Hubby's been out of work for a while now (nothign related to the economy though)

Pinot's Mom
02-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Well, a week ago I had a slightly different answer to this thread, but we're still OK.

My company, last Friday, eliminated 8 jobs (we employ about 300 or so total). All these jobs (save 1) were people at the age they could retire, but they had been with our company for 30+ years, a lot of them, and it really was not a good way to go. No compensation, no nothing, just gone. It was also announced there would be an across the board 10% decrease in pay.

I work for a plastics company in Maryland; we had to take drastic measures to stay afloat for the long run and we're not through with them. I am in what is considered middle management; the 10% will not break me. It had to be done.

My husband is in environmental programs for the State; he was told he had to take 5 furlough days in the year. That won't break us, either. Personally, I would have preferred the furloughs! That's our story.