PDA

View Full Version : Raptor sightings

smokey the elder
02-10-2009, 07:44 AM
...no, not THAT kind!:D

On Sunday a bald eagle flew over my car, heading south; and yesterday I saw a pair of red-tailed hawks at work. Those big birds of prey are impressive!

moosmom
02-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Smokey,

Aren't they beautiful creatures?? We have alot of red tailed hawks in CT. They'll sit up on a street light and watch traffic go by for hours. Whenever I see something like that, it makes me smile. Nature is such a wonderful, magical thing that we need to protect.

BitsyNaceyDog
02-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Aren't they so amazing! We have a Bald Eagle that stop by our yard almost daily. We have several hawks too, mostly Red-Shoulder hawks. Even seeing them as often as I do I'm always in awe of them.

pitc9
02-10-2009, 10:16 AM
I see Red Shoulder Hawks quite frequently around here.
And twice I've seen a bald eagle, they've only started nesting in my county 3 or 4 years ago.
My sister lives in SW Missouri and in the fall there are flocks of them flying out of (morning) and into (evening) the valley behind their house to their nests. It's breath taking to see so many at one time. My sister's house is on top of the valley and when they fly out they're so close that you can actually hear their wings flapping!! It's the most amazing thing ever!!

smokey the elder
02-10-2009, 01:41 PM
There are two islands in the Hudson River, Iona Is. and Constitution Is. There's a road called the "goat trail" over Bear Mountain, with an overlook to those islands, which is prime eagle watching.

lvpets2002
02-10-2009, 02:51 PM
:) And where is the camera when you need it?? Pics next time please..

RICHARD
02-10-2009, 02:54 PM
AHHHHHHHH!

I looked!

Out here I am minutes away from the Angeles Nat'l. Forest. Lot's of birds!
Plus Canadian Geese in September!

cassiesmom
02-10-2009, 08:11 PM
AHHHHHHHH!

I looked!

Out here I am minutes away from the Angeles Nat'l. Forest. Lot's of birds!
Plus Canadian Geese in September!

Richard, you can keep the Canada geese right there with you. When spring rolls around, and they start showing up and then start pairing off - they get downright RUDE! And the mess of droppings from a group of geese are pretty gross.

My mom and dad took a cruise in Alaska for their 50th anniversary and took pictures of some of the birds at the Alaska Raptor Center. They were big!

Desert Arabian
02-10-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm excited for spring to get here, that means the pair of Great Horned Owls should return to our backyard! They love to perch in our huge beachnut tree and softly hoot back and fourth in the middle of the night. I wish I could get a good picture of them! I can't believe how huge they are! :eek: We have lots of eagles and ospreys by our cabin, still waiting to get a good picture of them too - my camera is too crappy to zoom in and take good quality snapshots. :mad: