PDA

View Full Version : Guess who darted out the door?!!!

Medusa
02-09-2009, 04:19 PM
I had someone here giving me an estimate and when I opened the front door for her, Boo darted outside! The last time he did that was about 10 years ago and it was on the coldest day of the year, we had over a foot of snow and he was gone all night before he came back and was crying in the garage. This time I yelled at him and was quick enough to grab him and he's sitting on my lap right now, penitent little brat. Darned cat just took 5 years off my life! He's 18 now. How old do they have to be before they grow up and stop doing that?! :eek: :mad:

Barbara
02-09-2009, 04:22 PM
I have no idea how long it takes- I have two guys who dart the door as often they can ;). One is 13 now and the other is 12.

lvpets2002
02-09-2009, 04:25 PM
:eek: Oh yes I had one the other day do that.. It took me 15 mins to get her back in.. Well she got scared after she did it & was on the outside.. Well all is well now.. I know your heart nearly thumps out of your chest.. Most of the others run the opposite direction from the door.. Well glad your baby is back in & all is good & well..

momcat
02-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Come on now, Boo! Please stay inside where it's nice and toasty warm, where your food will always be found, and Meowmie will always be nearby with tons of scritchies, lovies, and treats :love: :love: :love:

Laura's Babies
02-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Maybe he was just trying to see if he still had it in him to dart out.. He learned that he can't! GOOD JOB MOM! Phew...

Taz_Zoee
02-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Oh my goodness. I know your name is Boo, but you really don't need to be scaring your meowmie like that. :eek:

Well, I am glad that Boo decided not to make a long trip out of it and is safe and sound in your lap where he belongs. :)

I am lucky that Taz just slowly slinks around when/if he gets outside. And he doesn't get far from the door. Our screen slider is broken (thanks to a couple of dogs running through it) and Bruce forgot this. He came out and saw Paizly sitting by the door (on the inside) and noticed the tear. He panicked for a second and thought "where is Taz?!" and thats when Taz came around the corner, outside!!! :eek:
Sometimes we leave the front door propped open when unloading the car. We are back and forth often enough that Taz will get close to the threshold and all I have to do is PSST at him and he takes off back into the house. I have not idea what Paizly would do, and I don't want to find out, thank you! :)

Medusa
02-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Oh my goodness. I know your name is Boo, but you really don't need to be scaring your meowmie like that. :eek:

Well, I am glad that Boo decided not to make a long trip out of it and is safe and sound in your lap where he belongs. :)

I am lucky that Taz just slowly slinks around when/if he gets outside. And he doesn't get far from the door. Our screen slider is broken (thanks to a couple of dogs running through it) and Bruce forgot this. He came out and saw Paizly sitting by the door (on the inside) and noticed the tear. He panicked for a second and thought "where is Taz?!" and thats when Taz came around the corner, outside!!! :eek:
Sometimes we leave the front door propped open when unloading the car. We are back and forth often enough that Taz will get close to the threshold and all I have to do is PSST at him and he takes off back into the house. I have not idea what Paizly would do, and I don't want to find out, thank you! :)

Something similar to that happened when I first bought this house 4 years ago. I was washing the enclosed patio windows and I thought "Funny, it looks like Puddy is outside". Then I realized that she actually was outside and I ran out after her and the little calico brat took off running. She darted around the side of the house and I yelled "Puddy!" really loudly and she just stopped and froze. I picked her up and she grabbed onto me for dear life as though she was saying "I'm sorry, Mom! I didn't like it anyhow!" Can't ever relax w/this Fur Posse of mine. :eek:

Freedom
02-09-2009, 05:31 PM
I know around here, they are all (dogs and cats both) fascinated with closed doors, and once one opens . . . watch out!

I ams o glad you have Boo back inside. Whew!

catmandu
02-11-2009, 09:58 AM
I have to be acreful with the Enclosed porch as its been getting warmer now, and the Younger Cats slip out without me noticing and if they ever got out I would have a tough time tracking and finding them!!!
:confused::confused:
They are SO FAST and I am SO OLD these days.

Randi
02-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Gosh, even at 18 he's so fast! Glad you could grab him and get him inside. :)

Fister likes to go down in the yard still, but I have changed his schedule to only going out in the mornings. He would prefer to go out just when it's getting dark, but I'm too old to run around looking for him in the night. And there's no way I could get close enough to grab him - patience is the key word with Fister! :rolleyes:

pomtzu
02-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Bad Boo - don't scare your Mom like that ever again!!!

My RB Meezer Ming was a great one for darting out. One time he practically flew out the door and took off like a bat out of h3ll across the yard, towards the neighbor's yard. Little did he know that there was a wire fence along the property line where the shrubs were, and he hit it running full speed. Did you ever see a cat bounce off a fence and flip in mid air??? He knocked himself silly, but wasn't hurt, and I couldn't stop laughing! Bad me - but I only laughed after I determined that he wasn't hurt. If only I had a video camera at the time!!!

And sneaking out is also how my brother's Meezer Cocoa came to lose his tail. The door was faster than the cat this time! :eek:

Medusa
02-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Gosh, even at 18 he's so fast! Glad you could grab him and get him inside. :)

Fister likes to go down in the yard still, but I have changed his schedule to only going out in the mornings. He would prefer to go out just when it's getting dark, but I'm too old to run around looking for him in the night. And there's no way I could get close enough to grab him - patience is the key word with Fister! :rolleyes:

If Boo Bear darts out the door at night, we're in trouble. He's as black as night. I'd never find him. When he was missing the last time he pulled this stunt, I thought I'd be able to see him against the white snow. Not. He pulled a Houdini on me. My son and I were out for hours searching for him, calling him, I fell on the ice, bawling the entire time. I thought I'd lost him for good. That night, right at midnight, I heard him crying in the garage. (I had left the door open just enough for him to squeeze underneath it.) Since he had never been outdoors after I rescued him and had since moved to a new house, I feared he wouldn't be able to find his way back but, of course, he did, covered in mud. I don't know what that bad boy had been up to but I thought that would've cured his wanderlust. Guess not. :eek:

Randi
02-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Mary, I think all cats have it in them - the outside is just too exiting, and that goes even if they've had bad experiences or been fighting with another cat. They simply HAVE to go and show their muscles and defend "their" territory.