PDA

View Full Version : The Census

Puckstop31
02-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Anybody else see a problem with The President moving responsibility for conducting the Census to the White House?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/02/09/gop-sounds-alarm-obama-decision-census-white-house/

YES, it is a Fox News link, so ignore the commentary. But it is also interesting that no other news organization cared to share this with us.

Laura's Babies
02-09-2009, 04:17 PM
You do have to question why it was so high on his priority list and what he plans to do..

Grace
02-09-2009, 05:35 PM
The Washington Post had something about this on Friday - 3 days before Fox.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/sleuth/2009/02/get_ready_for_the_us_census_fi.html

lizbud
02-09-2009, 06:18 PM
The Washington Post had something about this on Friday - 3 days before Fox.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/sleuth/2009/02/get_ready_for_the_us_census_fi.html

Thanks Grace. I was about to mention that also.

Read much Puck? :rolleyes:

kuhio98
02-09-2009, 06:37 PM
You do have to question why it was so high on his priority list and what he plans to do..With all the huge problems we have right now, I'm concerned that this seems to be such a high priority for the administration right now. :confused:

Edwina's Secretary
02-09-2009, 07:16 PM
I heard about this last week or so on the news when the discussion was about the pick for Commerce Secretary.

The Commerce Department will be very busy with the stimulus package implementation too, but I am suspecting Obama himself will not be supervising the counting if it reports to the White House.

Census - a dirty job but somebody has to do it!

Grace
02-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Actually, it appears he is just being kind to Mr. Gregg - since the Census is under the jurisdiction of the Commerce Department.

According to the NY Times (2/4/09),

Mr. Gregg was never a friend of the census. As chairman of the Senate committee that oversees the Commerce Department’s budget, he frequently tried to cut the bureau’s financing. In 1999, he opposed emergency funds for the 2000 census requested by President Bill Clinton and the Republican-controlled House.

Cinder & Smoke
02-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Actually, it appears he is just being kind to Mr. Gregg ...

According to the NY Times (2/4/09),

Mr. Gregg was never a friend of the census.
As chairman of the Senate committee that oversees the Commerce Department’s budget,
he frequently tried to cut the bureau’s financing. In 1999, he opposed emergency funds
for the 2000 census requested by President Bill Clinton and the Republican-controlled House.

Being "KIND" to Mr. Gregg ??? :confused:

Seems a lot more likely that the Prez doesn't TRUST Mr. Gregg to do a good job!
Move the Census into a back room at the White House, and the Prez can check the addition. ;)

Remember: The Census determines many important situations >>>
* How many Congressional Reps a State has
* How Federal Aid is passed out
* Thousands of Federal Programs are based upon Census statistics.

A Fair & Accurate Census count is important to everyone.

Puckstop31
02-10-2009, 07:19 AM
Thanks Grace. I was about to mention that also.

Read much Puck? :rolleyes:

Well, I don't read the Wshington Post... And SURE you were Liz. Sure you were.

Keep preaching to your little choir Liz. Who you really are is as clear as day. Your little eye roll is quite amusing though. Keep up the good cut and paste work.

Puckstop31
02-10-2009, 07:21 AM
Being "KIND" to Mr. Gregg ??? :confused:

Seems a lot more likely that the Prez doesn't TRUST Mr. Gregg to do a good job!
Move the Census into a back room at the White House, and the Prez can check the addition. ;)

Remember: The Census determines many important situations >>>
* How many Congressional Reps a State has
* How Federal Aid is passed out
* Thousands of Federal Programs are based upon Census statistics.

A Fair & Accurate Census count is important to everyone.

Add to this that the Commerce Department has to show their work... Rahm Emanuel does not. He would get to just "estimate" how many people live in certain places.

And I am 100% sure that he would be fair. :rolleyes:

smokey the elder
02-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Isn't an accurate Census mandated by the Constitution?

Puckstop31
02-10-2009, 07:45 AM

Yes.

Article 1 - Sec. 2

"Representatives and direct taxes shall be apportioned among the several states which may be included within this union, according to their respective numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole number of free persons, including those bound to service for a term of years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. The actual Enumeration shall be made within three years after the first meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent term of ten years, in such manner as they shall by law direct...."

And the 14th Amendment...

"Section 2. Representatives shall be apportioned among the several states according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each state, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the executive and judicial officers of a state, or the members of the legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such state, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such state. "

Edwina's Secretary
02-10-2009, 11:08 AM
According to the MSNBC story on it I saw last week it was part of the "horse trading" to get Gregg to accept the Secretary of Commerce position.

I am just wondering why Fox took so long to cover the story. Do you think they are trying to hide something???

lizbud
02-10-2009, 12:47 PM

Maybe it's because Gregg is a Republican & we all know how they
treated the Constitution for the last eight years. It's safer to handle
the Census in house.:)

Puckstop31
02-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Maybe it's because Gregg is a Republican & we all know how they
treated the Constitution for the last eight years. It's safer to handle
the Census in house.:)

So even more raping of the Constitution is OK then?

Liz, until you get off the kool aid of "Democrat = good... Republican = bad", you will just continue to be the sad cheerleader with no actual thought I think you are now.

Seriously Liz... I am sad for you.

Edwina's Secretary
02-10-2009, 01:16 PM
I normally try and avoid the ranting and raving of the irrational radical right but...

The Constitution does not say the census must be done the the Commerce Department. In fact, the census was done by the Judicial branch of the government until 1870.

It has been done by the Executive branch since then. Both the Commerce Department and the Office of the White House are part of the Executive Branch.

So the Chicken Littles who want you to drink the Kool-aid that this is some radial change -- where have they been since 1870???

Things change...Indians, women, blacks, and children are counted in the census today...a change. It is not all done on the same day... a change.

Gosh...things change! And facts help chase away the Chicken Littles.

Of course...perhaps they think 1870 is when the US began the slide down inot the abyss!:D:D

Puckstop31
02-10-2009, 01:50 PM
I normally try and avoid the ranting and raving of the irrational radical right but...

The Constitution does not say the census must be done the the Commerce Department. In fact, the census was done by the Judicial branch of the government until 1870.

It has been done by the Executive branch since then. Both the Commerce Department and the Office of the White House are part of the Executive Branch.

Did I say it did? At least the Commerce Department showed its work. We were able to evaluate the data pool and see how they came to the conclusions they did. With Obama giving the task to his Chief of Staff... You don't see any problem with that? Given the political power the Census holds?

So the Chicken Littles who want you to drink the Kool-aid that this is some radial change -- where have they been since 1870???

Things change...Indians, women, blacks, and children are counted in the census today...a change. It is not all done on the same day... a change.

Gosh...things change! And facts help chase away the Chicken Littles.

Of course...perhaps they think 1870 is when the US began the slide down inot the abyss!:D:D

ES.... You are such a good actor. Really.

I do not fear change. I fear our country becoming nothing more than a despotism. You apparently think you will be immune to the results of such a government?

1870? No. I believe the US started top become the nation it is today during the Woodrow Wilson Administration. Read about him. YOU would love him.

RICHARD
02-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Start at 8 for Cah lee fuh Nee ah and go from there.

-------------

Hasn't anyone invented eyeglasses for the brain yet?:D

Edwina's Secretary
02-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Did I say it did?
Yes..

Right here....
So even more raping of the Constitution is OK then?

Puckstop31
02-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Yes..

Right here....

OK, ya got me. My bad. Not exactly the context I was trying to express, but like I said before I am not the best written communicator.

So you do not have a problem with this move? What if, as is my worry, The President's team that conducts the Census does not show us the data they used to come up with what they find? You do realize the power Obama is giving his party by doing this, no? I ask because I think you are smart enough to realize that partisan stuff like this is, in part, why we are at each other's throats all the time.

Ya know, I bet you and I are not really that far apart on where we want our country to go. We just disagree on how best to get there and I doubt we ever will. But I do look forward to engaging with you more often. Your wicked wit and clever use of "drama" is great stuff.

lizbud
02-10-2009, 04:15 PM
OK, ya got me. My bad. Not exactly the context I was trying to express, but like I said before I am not the best written communicator.

Talk about preaching to the choir. :D:D

Puckstop31
02-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Talk about preaching to the choir. :D:D

But at least I am not afraid to admit mistakes.... Or tell people what I really think.

Just keep on waving your pom poms Liz.

lizbud
02-10-2009, 04:32 PM

Please, only in the privacy of my own home.:o:o:o :D

Puckstop31
02-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Please, only in the privacy of my own home.:o:o:o :D

Nice... LOL

Praise God for small miracles I guess. ;)

RICHARD
02-10-2009, 09:42 PM
But at least I am not afraid to admit mistakes.... Or tell people what I really think.

Post pics, please-or a link?

Puckstop31
02-12-2009, 04:01 PM
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/090212/gregg_withdrawal.html?.v=8

Thank you for standing by your principles, Senator Gregg.

*Salute*

Unless, of course, you dropped out because the vetting process did actually dig up something on you. LOL