PDA

View Full Version : Are you a snob?

pomtzu
02-08-2009, 01:04 PM
I mean about certain products that you buy. Will you only buy "Brand X" of a certain items, and nothing else???

I am!

I'm a Birkenstock sandal snob. I have bought a few other brands in a weak moment, and then they just sit in my closet and I never wear them more than once or twice, so that was just money down the drain. I've learned my lesson and buy nothing but Birks - which I practically live in when the weather permits. They're a little pricey but worth the extra $ and they never wear out!!! :)

I worked with a girl who is a Longaberger basket snob. She wouldn't caught dead buying anything else. I personally think they are way overpriced, and Peterboro baskets are just as nice (IMO) and a lot less expensive!

So what are you a snob about???

moosmom
02-08-2009, 01:24 PM
I guess you could say I'm a snob about my cat's dry food. Wilderness Blue is the only thing they eat, along with a half can in the morning (because Murphy had a thyroid problem, the vet recommended a half can in am and half can in pm). I can't afford to be a snob about anything right now. Money is very tight and I guy dented cans, beat up boxes of cereal, anything that's cheap. Sounds pathetic, but when you're on a fixed income, ya do what ya gotta do.

BTW, Birks are AWESOME, but I only buy the cheap knock offs.

Alysser
02-08-2009, 01:45 PM
I prefer Heinz Ketchup and Coke Zero although when Restraunts don't have Coke zero I drink the diet version.

finn's mom
02-08-2009, 01:49 PM
I've become more of a snob about products that don't have a ton of chemicals. I don't prefer a particular brand, but I do like natural products.

My little dogs only get Pinnacle food, but honestly, I could pretty easily switch them if necessary without too much whining from either them or myself. ;)

Randi
02-08-2009, 01:56 PM
If it's being a snob wanting good quality products, then I guess I am. I'd rather wait until I can afford something I want, than just buying cheap stuff. In the long run, it's really not that much more expensive, and you enjoy quality more. :)

pomtzu
02-08-2009, 02:03 PM
I can't afford to be a snob

I'm with ya' there - I can't afford to be one anymore! And since I have 6 pair of Birks in different colors and styles, I won't be buying more any time soon. But I still won't wear anything else!!!

I buy store brands at the grocery store most all the time. That good old Walmart bread makes just as good a sandwich as the major brands. And when I buy clothes or the like - I never buy anything unless it's on sale.

Uncle Sam and his generous Social Security check has changed my spending habits drastically! :mad:

Casper
02-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Jif Peanut Butter is about the only thing I am picky about.

Taz_Zoee
02-08-2009, 03:12 PM
When I go to a restaurant and they don't have Dr Pepper or Mr Pibb I ask if they have Coke or Pepsi. If they have Coke I will get the clear soda; Sprite, Sierra Mist whatever. If they have Pepsi I will get that. So I guess I'm sort of a soda snob?
I am picky about my hair products. I find something that works good for my hair and I stick with it. I will go to several different stores just looking for my brand of hair product. I use salon brand shampoo and conditioner, but all the other stuff is just drug store or grocery store brand.

Flatcoatluver
02-08-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm pretty much a snob about one thing and that's my dogs food. Has to be quality. When it comes to me eating things, I really good care less.

When it comes to clothing and stuff, I could care less, as long as it's comfy. But I am very picky when it comes to purses and sunglasses, I only buy brand names, and it most likely will cost over $100. :O

jennielynn1970
02-08-2009, 03:28 PM
I mean about certain products that you buy. Will you only buy "Brand X" of a certain items, and nothing else???

I am!

I'm a Birkenstock sandal snob. I have bought a few other brands in a weak moment, and then they just sit in my closet and I never wear them more than once or twice, so that was just money down the drain. I've learned my lesson and buy nothing but Birks - which I practically live in when the weather permits. They're a little pricey but worth the extra $ and they never wear out!!! :)

LOL.. I'm the opposite with Birks. I hate wearing them. They hurt my feet when I've worn them.

The only brand of sandal I buy are NAOT. They are $$$, but they have the removable sole from the inside so you can always have "fresh" feet, but I still live in the older ones cause they just form to my feet.

snowbelle15
02-08-2009, 03:58 PM
When it comes to shoes, I'll only wear converse. I don't like wearing anything else. It feels uncomfortable and I'm not use to it. So I guess I'm a shoe snob.

Freedom
02-08-2009, 04:34 PM
The only sneakers I buy are Reebok; they seem to suit my feet well, I have trouble with others. So I've learned to stick with what works.

And I only by Crest toothpaste and once in a while Sensodyne. None of the other brands.

I am not a snob, I am an educated consumer, lol. I learned what hurt my feet and what didn't! :D

kuhio98
02-08-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm not a brand name person. Most of the time, I'm clue free when friends tell me they bought Berks or Oaks (apparently this is a brand of sunglasses) :rolleyes:

I went thru a phase where I would buy the store brand diet cola -- whatever it was -- because it was cheaper. That lasted a few years and then I decided that I like Diet Coke. I like it a lot! And by golly, I'm gonna be a Diet Coke snob! :p So, that's the only brand name I have stayed loyal to.

Medusa
02-08-2009, 05:02 PM
If it's affordable and I like it, I buy it. I'm not necessarily brand loyal except for one thing, my chocolate milk. It has to be Superior 1%. Any other brand is either too sweet, too thin or chalky.

sasvermont
02-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Shoes - Merrill only (I live in Vermont!)
Sandals - Teva
Good Henkels knives
Butter not Oleo
Cloth napkins not paper
Good appliances in the house
Good car (just not new....1999...)
So yes, I am a snob to a point.

I also spend a $$ on haircuts.

I try to invest when I buy. I don't buy many of one item just good (?) ones.

I could be foolish, but hey, I'm having fun!

SAS:)

Karen
02-08-2009, 05:13 PM
When it comes to food, I have to read labels and buy what won't make me sick. The brand name doesn't matter - the ingredient label does. A lot.

Shoes, I just keep trying on pairs until I find ones that not only fit my orthotics, but fit my feet and don't hurt. Looks, frankly, come further down the list, and brand name doesn't enter into it.

There is, however, one way that I acknowledge that I am a real snob. I dislike singing in unison - if there's more than one person, there can be more than one part, right?

cassiesmom
02-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Sasvermont, I am putting aside money for a pair of Merrell's later this year. I worked with a medical director who swore by them. I've also heard great things about Børn shoes. For the most part I've always purchased inexpensive shoes, except for when I was doing shift nursing. Then for work I always bought a pair of Reebok, Propet or Nike sneakers (and later Nurse mates when they came out with ones that looked less like nurse shoes and more like sneakers!). Since my broken ankle, shoes are more of a problem. From buying mediocre shoes I've learned that good ones are worth it!

I'm a Tab fanatic. If I can't get it, I'll buy Diet Coke.

Twisterdog
02-08-2009, 07:43 PM
The only brand of soda I will drink is Diet Mountain Dew. If I can't get that, I will drink iced tea or water.

When I used to smoke, I was picky about cigarettes. I only smoked MY brand, I'd never bum a different brand from a friend.

I only wear Wacoal bras. When you are ... ummm ... very well endowed in the chest area, and you find the right bra, you stick with it!

I won't buy an American car. I've had Japanese and German cars, and really wanted an English car (but couldn't afford it).

Most things, I could care less, though. I like to find things on sale, actually, I don't really care about most brand names.

shepgirl
02-08-2009, 07:56 PM
The only thing I am a snob about are for my shoes. I don't wear or buy anything but Flexi's to go outside. . They aren't shoes but pull tab boots and they are the only thing I can be comfy in.
Summer months I wear Mocassins or nike's only .

Daisy and Delilah
02-08-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm addicted to Diet Mountain Dew and nothing else will do. Even though I like the other MD flavors, I can't drink them often. Regular soda makes me sick and always has.

I'm not crazy about lower priced perfume.

Peanut Butter-It has to be Jif.

Cheese-no cheap cheese. It tastes funny to me.

Bread

Coffee

Shoes

I'm sure there are some more but I can't remember them right now.

I almost refuse to pay full price for OTC meds(Tylenol, Advil, etc.) The bargain brands are the same to me.
Many store brands are ok with me as long as they perform the same way.

DJFyrewolf36
02-09-2009, 01:18 AM
I am a Moutain Dew snob for sure...the store brands just don't cut it. It helps that we live near a Pepsi distributer so it tends to be cheaper.

Anything else, if its cheap and it works I'll stick with it. I have noticed with some things you get what you pay for though :rolleyes:

jennielynn1970
02-09-2009, 06:51 AM
I try to invest when I buy. I don't buy many of one item just good (?) ones.

I definitely agree with that.

At this point I'd rather have quality over quantity of something. I will spend money on my hair, on my purses, and my shoes. I forgot I own a bunch of Tevas as well, lol. Love them!! My boots are all Sorel, love them too. Almost all of my purses for the past 10 years have been Fossil, although I just bought one that is called Haiku. It's cute, and is like a messenger bag (which is what I wanted, and didn't have to pay $$$ for).

Puckstop31
02-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Q-Tips. I must have real Q-Tips.

smokey the elder
02-09-2009, 07:27 AM
I've become a food snob. I eat very little premade/processed food, except for high-quality premixes (no synthetics). My weird one is toaster pastries; they must be Pop Tarts (synthetic stuff and all!) Go figure.

Pembroke_Corgi
02-09-2009, 11:39 AM
I can't really say there's any particular brands I have to have, but I do prefer organic foods most of the time, especially fresh fruits and vegetables. They taste SO much better to me. We buy mostly organic produce unless the price is really prohibitive.

I've become a food snob. I eat very little premade/processed food, except for high-quality premixes (no synthetics). My weird one is toaster pastries; they must be Pop Tarts (synthetic stuff and all!) Go figure.
Have you tried Amy's toaster pastries? They are delicious!!! But, they are highly addictive- and even though they are probably better for you than Pop Tarts, they still have lots of sugar and calories.

Suki Wingy
02-09-2009, 12:25 PM
No, I am pretty far off from that. I almost always buy the cheap brand unless there is a noticeable difference in them.

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-09-2009, 12:32 PM
If it's being a snob wanting good quality products, then I guess I am. I'd rather wait until I can afford something I want, than just buying cheap stuff. In the long run, it's really not that much more expensive, and you enjoy quality more. :)

That is my attitude too! I'd rather buy one good item, than several of a poor quality! I am not stuck to "some" brands, the quality is what counts for me :)

k9krazee
02-09-2009, 12:39 PM
I come from a family of food snobs! My dad especially, he has to have name brand everything. But I've realized, since buying my own food, that name doesn't really matter to me. I go the cheapest route. If I had more money, I'm sure I'd be willing to spend for higher quality...however, I'm a poor college student at this point!

shepgirl
02-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Foods I don't care what I buy. Rarely the brand names. I find that some of the store brands are better than the higher priced brand names. Whatever saves me a dollar on my grocery bill will do just fine. I'm not fussy , whatever is edible and called food I will eat.

GILL
02-09-2009, 01:57 PM
NOPE, for the most part don't care about brand.

pomtzu
02-10-2009, 07:45 AM
This isn't a "brand", but I'm a beautician snob too! Only one person is allowed to cut my hair - my ex-dil. Her shop is 40 miles from here but it's worth the trip. There are loads of shops a lot closer, and I tried a few, but never again. I could have done better myself using garden shears! She's been my excluse (with those few exceptions) for almost 20 years. If she ever decides to give it up before I leave this good earth, I guess I'll just have to shave my head and be done with it! :eek::D

Medusa
02-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Actually, I don't consider any of this to be snobbery. IMO, it's loyalty to a product or service and that's a good thing. :)

pomtzu
02-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Actually, I don't consider any of this to be snobbery. IMO, it's loyalty to a product or service and that's a good thing. :)

Tee-hee :p

Just a figure of speech since no other term came to mind when I started the thread.

Altho I have met snobs in this area. I knew a girl who would look down her nose on you if you bought anything else than her perception of the "best" brand-x product! :eek:

And my ex-sil is a bigwig with H & R Block. She thinks no other tax company knows what they're doing and will screw up your taxes. I personally hate Block - they screwed mine up once years ago!

caseysmom
02-10-2009, 08:24 AM
I have to use good shampoo and conditioners...preferably matrix smoothing because my hair is pretty course and I color it.

kokopup
02-10-2009, 10:22 AM
I for one usually buy the store brands for a lot of products. They are usually made by the name brand company with a different label. The Snob to me is the individual that thinks that it has to be DESIGNER to be good. If you have to have someones name on a product to be complete then you have self image issues. I have the same view of tattoos and Excessive adornment be it jewelry or perfume. When it comes to cars then i am a snob. There is a world of difference between a Kia and an Audi. Both will get you from point A to point B. The same is true of bicycles. I would no more venture into the woods on a Walmart Mt bike than I would set off for the moon in a hang glider.

Edwina's Secretary
02-10-2009, 11:03 AM

I agree with you. One thing my husband has taught me is to buy quality. In the end you spend less money because things last longer/work better.

I bought cheap pantyhose recently. They don't fit right and they fall apart after one washing! (sometimes I do not listen to my husband...:rolleyes:)

I do not, however, buy clothes with company or designer logos. I feel if you want to use me as an advertisement you pay me, not the other way around.

smokey the elder
02-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Quite often, you get what you pay for, to a point. But some items like pasta and other staples; there's very little difference to me. But it MUST be Welch's Grape Juice and Heinz ketchup!:D

Edwina's Secretary
02-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Quite often, you get what you pay for, to a point. But some items like pasta and other staples; there's very little difference to me. But it MUST be Welch's Grape Juice and Heinz ketchup!:D

Agreed! Toilet paper is one for me. I just cannot get excited about brands when it comes to tp!

Medusa
02-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Agreed! Toilet paper is one for me. I just cannot get excited about brands when it comes to tp!

I certainly don't get excited about TP, LOL, but if you have your own well and septic as I do, brand names suddenly become important. The septic cleaner man told me that some brands of TP just clog the septic because they don't break down properly. He demonstrated w/two different brands of TP. When he swished them around in water, one clumped and the other broke down. The one that breaks down is the one that's good for septics. If you've ever had a septic system back up into your home as I have, you get my point. :o So sometimes brand loyalty is for a reason. :)

pomtzu
02-10-2009, 02:14 PM
I certainly don't get excited about TP, LOL, but if you have your own well and septic as I do, brand names suddenly become important. The septic cleaner man told me that some brands of TP just clog the septic because they don't break down properly. He demonstrated w/two different brands of TP. When he swished them around in water, one clumped and the other broke down. The one that breaks down is the one that's good for septics. If you've ever had a septic system back up into your home as I have, you get my point. :o So sometimes brand loyalty is for a reason. :)

How true of the t.p. I've only had my septic tank pumped once in 38 years (:eek:) - believe it or not. and if it ain't broke - don't fix it!! I must be doing something right!!!!
BTW Mary - what brand do you use??? :D

Medusa
02-10-2009, 02:20 PM
How true of the t.p. I've only had my septic tank pumped once in 38 years (:eek:) - believe it or not. and if it ain't broke - don't fix it!! I must be doing something right!!!!
BTW Mary - what brand do you use??? :D

I use my grocery store brand, Giant Eagle's. Charmin is one of the worst for clogging septics. I get my septic pumped every two years and here it's the law that you can't go longer than 3 years w/out having your septic pumped. They keep a record and if you don't do it, you get notified. I already got my notice in the mail. I'm just waiting for warm, dry weather. I don't want that big truck driving on my lawn w/all this snow, rain and muck.

pomtzu
02-10-2009, 02:35 PM
I use my grocery store brand, Giant Eagle's. Charmin is one of the worst for clogging septics. I get my septic pumped every two years and here it's the law that you can't go longer than 3 years w/out having your septic pumped. They keep a record and if you don't do it, you get notified. I already got my notice in the mail. I'm just waiting for warm, dry weather. I don't want that big truck driving on my lawn w/all this snow, rain and muck.

I'm in the boonies, and we don't have any laws around here to that effect. I have double the required leech field, so that may be why I've never had any problems. I know that with all the environmental issues anymore, all new construction requires a mound system, rather than the buried tank system. And they are VERY expensive so I hear - and an eyesore IMO! Of course in town, no septic tanks allowed, you have to be on the town's system.

M&M's Mommy
02-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Nope. Not at all. I'll buy whatever goes on sale :)

GILL
02-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Same here, over sized system. No problems for 24 years. WE are a little careful with the TP. I have met people that could be snobs, but they are not, just down to earth folks. People like Trump or Ted Branson’s mother, Burt Ratan. What you see in the news is not always what the person is like. If you insist on designer labels or the highest price thing then in my book you are a snob and I have no use for you. The highest price does not always mean quality. Yes most store brands are made by a name company. I repaired lableing machines for a time. There might be 3 or more differant names comming out of the same machine.

Medusa
02-10-2009, 04:01 PM
To me, the definition of a snob is what Ellie described: a person who looks down on others if they don't have designer label clothes, furniture, jewelry, etc. That's high school stuff and I refuse to give my energy to such nonsense. Being brand loyal because you really like the product is totally different in my eyes.

catnapper
02-10-2009, 05:47 PM
LOL... what a fun thread!

I'm a snob on some accounts. I can't buy "supermarket" pet foods. I just can't - not even for the fosters. Mine all get Nutro or Royal Canin.

I also wear nice tailored clothes, like Van Heussen or Jones New York. But ask me if I pay ticketed price? HA! I am psyched for thursday when Van Heussen is having a huge clearance sale where $60 items are $7.99. Woohoo.... stock-up time!

Other things, like hand cream, tissues, etc, can be store brands for all I care.

Taz_Zoee
02-10-2009, 06:11 PM
I only wear Wacoal bras. When you are ... ummm ... very well endowed in the chest area, and you find the right bra, you stick with it!

I hear ya on this one!! I also wear Wacoal and only get fitted at Nordstroms. And boy do I need some new ones right about now. I keep a Nordstroms credit card just to purchase bras.

Foods I don't care what I buy. Rarely the brand names. I find that some of the store brands are better than the higher priced brand names. Whatever saves me a dollar on my grocery bill will do just fine. I'm not fussy , whatever is edible and called food I will eat.

I also agree with this. In fact, I prefer store brand (Safeway) waffles over Eggo waffles. We usually buy everything in store brand, even meds if possible. I'll even get the store brand "Dr Pepper", but lately they haven't had it, or the real stuff has been on sale.

Medusa
02-10-2009, 06:38 PM
I like Wacoal bras, too. Once you get a good fitting, your back thanks you.

Marigold2
02-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Yes I can be on certain items. I think we all can. It's not so much being snobby it's about having good taste. :p

Nomilynn
02-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Certain things I am brand specific, but others, not. I am lucky because I can buy cute dress shoes from Payless and not have too many troubles. I do have Adidas crosstrainers though. I only buy heinz ketchup, but mustard can be the store brand. For certain flavours of salad dressing, I buy store brand. Otherwise I buy Kraft. I will only buy Hellmans Mayonaise.

Sometimes it also depends on the store brand.. I prefer certain store names more than others so it just depends.

pomtzu
02-11-2009, 09:23 AM
I like Wacoal bras, too. Once you get a good fitting, your back thanks you.

Darn!!! I don't have enough to hurt my back! :(

Barbara
02-11-2009, 02:44 PM
I would never buy a brand that has the name on the front- but I'm also on the quality side.
And I'm afraid I bought the second BMW in my life (after 13 years the other served me very well).

cali
02-11-2009, 03:03 PM
yup..

Garbage bags absolutly MUST be Glad, period, everything else sucks.

Mac and Cheese..kinda a snob, any brand or genaric EXEPT Kraft dinner.

Ketchup must be no*name

I have become a snob about my Dyson vacuums lol

I prefere my jeans to be Bluenotes, I have a few from other places but I dont like any of them as much as I like my Bluenotes.

Petfood, but I would consider that a given lol

smokey the elder
02-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Garbage bags: I'm not a brand snob, but they must be at least 1 mil thick. I find the off-brand drawstring bags drawstrings break, which is really irritating.

carole
02-11-2009, 05:04 PM
I don't think i could class myself as being a snob , i have no desire to own designer clothing etc, if i like it , it does not matter if it comes from a cheap shop or a designer one, i have my preferences for sure about certain things, i prefer loreal foundation for instance, but only because it is a good colour and has good coverage, i would change in a heartbeat to anything that was better regardless of the price.

I however do like to eat good breads, so i guess maybe that is the only thing I can think of that i am snobby about if you can call it that lol.:):D

CathyBogart
02-12-2009, 07:26 PM
LUSH bath products. OMG I LOVE THEM. *laughs* My best friend took me to a LUSH, and it's been an addiction ever since.

Laura's Babies
02-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Only paper towels I will buy are Bounty, only coffee, Folgers, I will only use Secrete Spray on Deoderant and Head and Shoulders shampoo.