PDA

View Full Version : Mitzi - not again :(

RedHedd
02-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Mitzi had her blood checked again and again the calcium levels are way elevated. The vet said it could be caused by several things, but she kept saying cancer :( We're scheduling an ultrasound and chest X-ray to see what they can see.

Mitzi hasn't been herself for a while, but none of the tests have been conclusive. She just seems down a lot of the time, although she's still very playful and affectionate. She's never been a big eater, but she's barely touching her dry food anymore (part of that is because she badly needs a dental, which we're trying to schedule too). She does gobble down the Fancy Feast twice a day and is relentless when it comes to treats. Water drinking is normal, peeing and pooping are normal. Snuggles and purrs are normal and wonderful.

The vet doesn't want to schedule the dental until we do the ultrasound. I just hope it's nothing major. I'm having a surgery myself later this month - we just may be nursing each other.

Prayers please for my little Mitzi minx.

krazyaboutkatz
02-06-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I sure hope it's not the big "C".:( Storm also had high calcium levels when he had his bloodwork done the past few years and so he also had another type of test done but I can't remember the name of it. It turned out fine so I didn't worry. This year his bloodwork was fine and his calcium level was high but still within the normal limits. The only thing that's changed has been his diet which is now grain free Innova Evo. I'll keep Mitzi in my thoughts and prayers. Please continue to keep us updated and take care. (((HUGS)))

wolflady
02-06-2009, 11:17 PM
I sure hope Mitzi is ok. Please let us know what happens with her ultrasound and chest x-ray. Healing vibes on the way for her!
**hugs**

Medusa
02-07-2009, 04:57 AM
Oh Mitzi, let's just hope that this is a glitch and nothing more. We're sending up prayers right now that all is well. :love:

jenluckenbach
02-07-2009, 05:15 AM
Sending prayes for Mitzi.

Catty1
02-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Healing prayers for beautiful Mitzi, and that whatever is causing the high levels is easily treated.

{{{{hugs}}}}

Taz_Zoee
02-07-2009, 08:27 PM
I will keep Mitzi in my thoughts. I hope it is not the C word!!

Moesha
02-07-2009, 09:03 PM
I really hope that all works out well for you and Mitzi feels and acts better!

RedHedd
02-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Mitzi is having her ultrasound and chest X-ray tomorrow. The good vet's husband is the radiologist. The only bad part is Mitzi will be transported across the Bay for the ultrasound. My poor girl - and her beautilful, fluffy Buddha belly will be shaved. I just hope that whatever they find, that it's easily treatable. Good vibes and prayers please.
:love:

katladyd
02-11-2009, 12:04 AM
My thoughts will be with Mitzi tomorrow. I do hope it is not a major thing and she will be begging many more treats from you. Be a good girl Mitzi and go home well!

Reachoutrescue
02-11-2009, 12:07 AM
I pray Mitzi will be okay. Poor girl....get better sweetie! We are all praying for you! :love:

krazyaboutkatz
02-11-2009, 12:47 AM
Georgia, I sure hope that everything will go well tomorrow. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent Mitzi's way.

jenluckenbach
02-11-2009, 04:57 AM
Praying for Mitzi.

Medusa
02-11-2009, 05:59 AM
Prayers going up for Mitzi and don't worry, that fur will grow back before you know it. :)

Barbara
02-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Sending all my best wishes to Mitzi.

jennielynn1970
02-11-2009, 09:51 AM
I'll be thinking of you and your Mitzi!

wolflady
02-11-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm thinking of you and Mitzi today too. As it turns out, Phinehas is joining Mitzi for an ultrasound today...so hopefully both of our kitties will be strong for us and come out just fine. :love:

Randi
02-11-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm sending lots of positive thoughts to Mitzi, and I hope it's something easily treatable! Good thoughts to you also for your operation. :)

RedHedd
02-11-2009, 11:42 AM
My thoughts will be with Mitzi tomorrow. I do hope it is not a major thing and she will be begging many more treats from you. Be a good girl Mitzi and go home well!

You should have seen her begging this morning - it was SO cute. No food and very little water allowed since 10:00 p.m. last night. Oh the pain of it all! I got the silent meow treatment, especially when I wouldn't share my cereal milk with her (our morning ritual/tradition/mandatory snack).

She also almost dodged the porta-prison and tried to dart under the bed, but I'm bigger than she is and am up to her sneaky tricks.

Thanks, everyone for the good vibes and prayers. I'll keep you posted.

lvpets2002
02-11-2009, 11:44 AM
:( Oh no poor wittle Mitzi.. Oh I sure hope it is Not the C word.. Come on baby Girl & get well soon.. Sending Lots of PT Positive Vibes & Prayers & Huggss..

RedHedd
02-11-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm thinking of you and Mitzi today too. As it turns out, Phinehas is joining Mitzi for an ultrasound today...so hopefully both of our kitties will be strong for us and come out just fine. :love:
Oh no! However Phinehas won't need to have his belly shaved, right? They're transporting Mitzi to San Leandro to do the scans - I'm not even sure where San Leandro is, except that it's somewhere across the Bay!

krazyaboutkatz
02-12-2009, 12:56 AM
I hope that everything went well today. Any news yet? I hope that Mitzi is doing well. Please update us when you can.

kb2yjx
02-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Prayers for Mitzi!! And a candle for her on our group PET T!!!

RedHedd
02-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Initial report: kidney stone and a cyst on her kidney Will know more later. This doc is so non-responsive and I've just been crazy busy with work and my own health things going on. Nothing serious for me, just many medical appointments right now.

RedHedd
02-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Well the vet finally called and I could actually talk to her. Mitzi has a cyst on her right kidney and a stone in her left kidney. Neither are causing any blockage right now. No surgery to remove the cyst - just a change in Mitzi's diet and regular monitoring of her kidney function. She seems to be ok for now, at least we know what's going on and what to watch for.

I also scheduled a teeth cleaning for her with another vet who will do it in a safer environment, without anesthesia. It won't be until the end of March, but I think I'll be more able to handle it both physically and financially by then - it's also MUCH cheaper than what this vet charges.

kb2yjx
02-12-2009, 05:52 PM
WHEW!! That is good news!!! Glad to hear Miss Mitzi will have only a change in diet!

Medusa
02-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Yes, that is good news. Prayers going up that Mitzi will start feeling better right away and will stay that way.

phesina
02-12-2009, 06:57 PM
That's great news for Ms. Mitzi and you! We are saying our prayers for you both.

cassiesmom
02-12-2009, 07:04 PM
That's great news for Ms. Mitzi and you! We are saying our prayers for you both.

From here too

katladyd
02-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Hurray for Mitzi! I was praying it was nothing serious. Diet can work wonders. Good girl Mitzi!

Catty1
02-12-2009, 09:55 PM
SO glad she doesn't have cancer!

Give her a snuggle for me - she is such a beautiful girl! :):love:

krazyaboutkatz
02-13-2009, 12:56 AM
I'm glad to hear that all she needs to do is to change her diet.:) I hope that you'll both start feeling better soon.:)

wolflady
02-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Oh, this is such good news! I'm so glad it's not cancer. Hopefully she'll take just fine to a change in diet. :)

RedHedd
02-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Oh, this is such good news! I'm so glad it's not cancer. Hopefully she'll take just fine to a change in diet. :)

A friend on another board has recommended some holistic foods which she's feeding her kidney cat. I'm going to pick some up today. We'll see if my little princess will approve of the new food offerings ;)

gini
02-13-2009, 02:12 PM
I popped onto Pet Talk just to see how Mitzi is doing. Thank goodness you have something that you can deal with by changing her diet.

Still - some prayers for you and Mitzi seem appropriate.

RedHedd
02-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Well, Mitzi isn't liking any of the new foods the vet is recommending. I'm having a heck of a time getting her to even nibble at the foods she does like. Tonight I'll pick up an appetite stimulant from her current vet. Tomorrow I have an appointment with a holistic vet. I also have an upcoming reading with Nancy, the pet psychic.

Please keep the prayers coming that my little girl will improve - she's still SO down and depressed. It's obvious she's not feeling well. She still hasn't recovered from the shock of the ultrasound last week - I think that was too stressful for her. My poor little girl :(

Randi
02-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Poor little Mitzi. :( I hope the appetite stimulant will help! Have you tried Royal Canin Sensitive, or raw white fish or raw meat? Fister is crazy about it.

Sending lots of positive thoughts. :)

Catty1
02-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Maybe a bit of Feliway to help her spirits?

You are so loved, Mitzi - let all the love flow through you and heal you.:love::love:

Medusa
02-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Aw, I'm sorry about Mitzi. We'll keep the prayers going that all will be well. :love:

RedHedd
02-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Poor little Mitzi. :( I hope the appetite stimulant will help! Have you tried Royal Canin Sensitive, or raw white fish or raw meat? Fister is crazy about it.

Sending lots of positive thoughts. :)
Yup, tried the Royal Canin, she sniffed and walked away - thank God I only had a sample. I've wasted more $$ on good cat food lately. She hates fish or any kind of seafood. I'm having some luck with the Weruva canned food which actually looks like yummy chicken - I'm tempted to taste it myself!

Russian Blue
02-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Just checking in and saw this thread. Many vibes going out your way for Mitzi. Trying to find a food that will work for health reasons AND that the cat will actually eat is always a trial.

Hopefully you will find something soon to tempt her. *fingers crossed*

wolflady
02-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Oh no! I was so hoping she would take to a new diet easily. I certainly hope you can find something she'll like. Have you tried making your own food for her perhaps using real boiled or roasted chicken? I know there are actually home recipes for pets you can find on the internet. Maybe your holistic vet will have some ideas.
I'm sorry she hasn't recovered from the ultrasound! Hopefully there is no next time, but the vet I went to for Phinehas was great and no shaving or relaxants were necessary! I sat in the room and watched while it was done. It was still stressful for him, but painless :)

Many healing vibes for you and Mitzi :love:

krazyaboutkatz
02-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Georgia, I'm sorry to hear that Mitzi doesn't want to eat any of the new food and that she's still feeling stressed.:( I hope that the holistic will be able to help her and that she'll feel better soon. I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

cassiesmom
02-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Give her a snuggle for me - she is such a beautiful girl! :):love:

And one for me, too, please. Dear sweet Mitzi, please try to eat your special noms that mom is serving you.

katladyd
02-19-2009, 12:35 PM
I know how tough it can be when they won't eat the special diet the vet gives them. My vet put my Ming on the Hills w/d and c/d canned food. He wouldn't even sniff it! The stuff must be horrible because my other cat, MacGyver, hated it also! Ming gets urinary blockages, so this diet was very important! Anyway, my vet put him on amitryptiline (this increased his drinking and appetite) and said any urinary tract food would be good. Now he's on Purina One dry (both cat's love it) and the Elegant Medleys from Fancy Feast and Friskies Special Diet and they both love this (well, if it's lamb or turkey). My cats won't even look and any meat I cook for them or any raw meat. They're strange, they both hate human food. Anyway, try different brands, PetSmart has a wide variety. If you keep trying, she will find something she likes. Sending Mitzi hugs and tummy rubs!

RedHedd
02-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Mitzi had acupuncture! I'm now calling her my little Unicorn, because that's where one of the needles was - it was SO cute and she was SO good about it. I tried to get pics, but my camera phone and Mitzi were being uncooperative at the time. It seems to have worked to make her more comfortable.

I had checked in with Nancy Efrussy, the pet psychic, and she said Mitzi had a bit of tummy upset/discomfort with occasional sharp pains, so the vet also treated her for pain relief, appetite stimulation and kidney healing, along with general de-stressing and calming.

Mitzi is now on Chinese herbs for kidneys and to help dissolve any stones. This vet recommended Wysong Uretic so I'll be trying yet another food.

This vet and I agree that Hills/Science Diet is not the best food for kitties and yet regular vets prescribe it all the time - probably some $$ being exchanged there. I now have a HUGE selection of various foods that Ms. Mitzi has rejected and all will be donated to Pets Unlimited, which has this wonderful Holistic Vet Clinic. I've never been in such a serene, clean and wonderfully outfitted vet clinic before.

Mitzi does seem a bit perkier today. It is a One Day At A Time thing right now - and every day. Thanks for all your kind words.

cassiesmom
02-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Ms. Mitzi, sweetie! I hope the treatment helps you LOTS! Gentle kisses to you, beautiful kitty girl.

Medusa
02-20-2009, 02:15 PM
As long as Mitzi is feeling better, that's what's important. It's great that you have the option of giving acupuncture a try.

krazyaboutkatz
02-20-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm glad to hear that Mitzi seems a bit perkier.:) I know that acupunture helped Starr a lot with his IBD/Colitis issues. I hope that she'll continue to do well and will like the new food too.:)

katladyd
02-21-2009, 12:35 AM
The Science Diet foods are a hard sell with some cats. Mine like the w/d as a snack.

RedHedd
02-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Well, Mitzi seems to be in some pain. She woke me up in the middle of the night yowling. So I've gotten some pain meds from her regular vet. Then I check the herb the holistic vet wanted to give Mitzi - guess what? It's hydrangea which is toxic, deadly poisonous to cats. I'm going to call her and let her know - I don't think she checked! It might be safe for dogs, but I'm glad I checked before I got some for Mitzi! YIKES!

I did pick up some Wysong food, but she hasn't tasted it yet.

I'm checking in from an Internet cafe - my PC is still in the shop, although it is fixable - whew! that was close! Now I WILL backup!

Off to check on Ms. Mitzi and see if she needs anything

phesina
02-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Oh my God! How awful about the herbal remedy. SO-O-O-O glad you checked that out.

Prayers continuing for your beloved little Mitzi, that it gets pinned down just what's going on with her and that there are ways to curtail it and relieve her discomfort. We're so glad that at least she doesn't have the Big C going on.

jenluckenbach
02-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Prayers for poor Mitzi.

kb2yjx
02-22-2009, 11:42 AM
It will be interesting to know if the hydrangea in the form it is in, it still toxic to cats. Hopefully, it is not, and Mitzi will be OK....I will light another candle for her...

RedHedd
02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
It will be interesting to know if the hydrangea in the form it is in, it still toxic to cats. Hopefully, it is not, and Mitzi will be OK....I will light another candle for her...

I didn't give it to her. I have a call in to the vet to ask her WTF? :confused: