PDA

View Full Version : Rats! Wrap me in Bubblewrap! Ouch!

K9karen
02-06-2009, 09:24 PM
I tripped down 2 steps in the house on Wednesday night, couldn't walk, called the Podiatrist first thing on Thursday since my left foot turned black overnight and agony doesn't even explain the pain.

I have an oblique (up and down, as opposed to straight across) fracture of the 5th metaparsal bone and according to the Doc, I did a REALLY good job at it. It's pretty serious. In a knee high cast for 5 weeks. If I don't heal, I need surgery for plates.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for a special walker so I don't have to use my crutches, due to the fact my left wrist is already messed up. I've fallen 4x. am covered with bruises, injured my bad wrist, am a nervous wreck, since I help care for my 95 y.o. uncle, and my favorite aunt is in hospice and not expected to make it through the weekend. I rented a wheelchair and John and I went to say our goodbyes.

Good news. March 17 is my court case for my wrist. It's a settlement hearing before it goes to a jury if I don't agree to the amount.

Wheee!!!!! Good start to 2009!!! Oh, and it's my brother's fault I fell so I'm not talking to him. :p

jenluckenbach
02-07-2009, 05:20 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: I'll go get the bubble wrap.

Or better yet, you need one of those padded "bite" suits used to train guard dogs. ;)

But honestly, take care of yourself. ((((HUGS))))

Laura's Babies
02-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Ok, I need to ask, WHY are you falling so much? That concerns me. We all trip and fall now and then but 4 times is a lot! :eek:

Daisy and Delilah
02-07-2009, 08:56 AM
OMG!!! I am sending some good thoughts out that you never have another accident!! You've had enough misfortune. Feel better. I'm so sorry. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

kuhio98
02-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Ok, I need to ask, WHY are you falling so much? That concerns me. We all trip and fall now and then but 4 times is a lot! :eek:
I'm concerned too! Have all 4 falls been in your home? Is your house unsafe and needs some work? Could you have an underlying medical problem?

Before Bobcat got his hip replacement, he used to fall a lot.

Worried about you!

lizbud
02-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Well, it looks like I'll have to make a road trip & bring you tons of
bubblewrap.:D I hope you will take it easy & heal up quickly.:)

I trpped myself up one time when going downstairs. I missed the last step
when I thought I had already taken it. It's sure a strange feeling when you
fall as a grownup.:eek:

shepgirl
02-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Reading your post made me feel so bad for you. But it made me feel better about myself because you sound just like me and I thought I was the only one who could flip on a dime like this all the time. I feel like we might be related...haha.

Freedom
02-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Karen, good heavens, with things like this, you sure don't need ice or any other obstacles! I do hope you find some way to keep serene, as stress will complicate healing. Prayers for successful recovery/ies.

Karen
02-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Good gracious, sweetie! Walkers are gonna be hard on that wrist, too. We'll be thinking of you! Have you had a bone density test? No fair so many busted bones!

jennielynn1970
02-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Yikes!! You really need to be sure that everything heals properly. If you need any help on weekends, please, please let me know!!! I can get to your place in 45 minutes.

Feel better, and let me know if you need any help, ok??

Hellow
02-07-2009, 07:27 PM
You dont need bubble wrap, you need a human-sized hamster ball. Dont put unnecessary pressure on any of your various fractured bones, and get better soon!

cassiesmom
02-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Oh, no, Karen! That's not good! I spent 3 weeks in a cast in October so I can relate. HUGS and prayers!

Catty1
02-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Karen - a bone density test is a really really good idea.

Have you had a complete medical checkup lately?

If things get settled on March 17, I think you will find yourself less accident-prone.

Feeling emotionally unsettled can cause lots of things like that, even if this one WAS your brother's fault. ;)

HUGS!

K9karen
02-07-2009, 10:48 PM

Sorry for the confusion...I fell 4x using the crutches!!! Thankfully it was in the house on a rug. You need a license for those things! I'd have better control if my wrist wasn't throbbing.
Steps are awful, even 5 of them. John's going to wrap a pillow around my butt so I can scooch up and down!

My last bone density showed a wee case of Osteoporosis, but I take a lot of calcium and D and magnesium. My next bone density test is in 2 weeks. I've healed quickly from past surgeries so the doc thinks I probably won't need pins or plates.

The fall was an unfortunate accident. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't fallen with my foot under me. I'm telling people I broke it kicking John in the butt!!!! :p:p
Too embarrassed to say I tripped 2 steps in my own house! :rolleyes:

Jenn..thanks...I'll call you if I need anything. So far, I've enjoyed bossing John around..something I never ever do..so it's been fun!

Thanks all for your lovely hugs and good wishes!