PDA

View Full Version : Insure those shipments!!

pomtzu
02-06-2009, 02:17 PM
I don't ship that many packages, and when I do, I usually insure them. Of course the insurance is never needed in the end, because the packages arrive at their destination and not damaged.

So when I sent a rather inexpensive ceramic item to FL last year, I didn't bother to insure it, and it was packed and cushioned VERY well. Not well enough tho, since it arrived in pieces. No insurance - oops - my first time getting burned. But it was inexpensive, so what the heck??

The second incident was more of a costly error. I'm sure you've seen the ads on t.v. for "cash for gold" - send in old or broken gold jewelry and they send you a check. So I sent for their "insured mailer" and gathered up a bunch of old settings, broken bracelets, mismatched earrings and sent them off the first part of December. When I didn't hear anything after several weeks, I called the company to trace it and they said it was never received - apparently lost - but they wouldn't consider it lost till after 40 days. Of course I didn't insure it - their mailer was insured - right? But how do they know the weight of the gold if they never received it???

So today I called back (still not received so I have to take their word for it that it was lost), and they asked for an inventory of what was shipped (like I could remember everything?), so I gave them what I could remember. The max that they will pay out under their "insured mailer" deal, is $30-100, based on the info that you give to them.

So customer service just called me back and said it was approved to send me the max of $100 based on the info I gave them. Am I getting ripped off - probably - but I have to admit it's my own fault for not taking out my own insurance on the package.

So just a heads up to anyone who might decide to send in some old gold. Take out insurance - even over insure it - so if it's lost - you won't come up on the short end of the stick!!! :mad:

Laura's Babies
02-06-2009, 02:27 PM
I wondered about that sending your "gold" through the mail like that and wondered how YOU would know rather or not they recieved it.... Sounds like it is a scam waiting to happen!

smokey the elder
02-06-2009, 02:36 PM
I think that "cash for gold" thing is pretty dodgy.

RICHARD
02-06-2009, 02:38 PM
I saw a piece on a news show about the gold for cash companies.

Remember, you are sending gold out to them in a package that anyone can see is going to the 'factory'. It makes it easy to pick out.

Also, the companies pay you on the cheapest karat value.

You can send 24 karat and get paid for 10 karat gold. They take advantage of you that way.

Hope you get your package found or get what it was worth!

pomtzu
02-06-2009, 02:52 PM
It's legit, since if you don't like the price they give you for what you send in, you send back the check and they'll return your gold.

So I'm getting $100 for what I could remember I sent, even tho they didn't receive it - or so they say. I'm probably getting ripped off, but can't be sure, since there was no insurance or delivery receipt requested by me, and I honestly have no idea what the value was of what I sent in. Well over $100 I'm sure.

Live and learn! :(

Medusa
02-06-2009, 03:30 PM
I just finished reading this thread, logged off and found this link, so I thought I'd post it.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/1026824

pomtzu
02-06-2009, 05:38 PM
I just finished reading this thread, logged off and found this link, so I thought I'd post it.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/1026824

Thanks Mary. After reading some of the comments at the end of that article, I guess I should be glad at least to be receiving $100.

The one I used was a different company - GoldKit.com - but they're all basically the same. The pawn shops around here don't want to be bothered with broken pieces, and if they do give you anything, it's barely worth the effort of walking in the door. That's why I went this route. Now if I had just insured it on my end..............call me Dummy!!!!! :eek:

Freedom
02-06-2009, 07:06 PM
For things like the ceramic, the insurance is needed.

For the gold, you should ALSO use certified mail, so you KNOW it gets received by them.

Sorry you had such problems!

Moesha
02-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Many places are now holding "gold parties" sort of like reverse tupperware parties. You bring your gold in to them in person and get your money on the spot. I saw a piece about it on television about 6 months ago. Then this past month I saw fliers around town here saying they were having one of these type of gatherings at the local Curves for Women business. I didn't go, but might be more apt to do that rather than send it in the mail.

Daisy and Delilah
02-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Here is another one of my dumb questions but I can't get it off my mind:

Why do all the tv stations continue to air this garbage? Is it all about money to them too? I would think that some of them have enough concern for their viewers that they would refuse to air these ads.

I am guessing it's a much bigger picture than I'm seeing or know about. I hate to think of all the unsuspecting innocent people that have been scammed by this.:(

I remember trying to sell a $600 gold necklace years ago. I took it to 2 jewelry stores and got the same answer from both. They weren't willing to give me anything for it. They also told me I would never get anything close to what I paid for it from anybody. Their words: once it leaves the jeweler, it's value drops to almost nothing.
I think I still have it.

pomtzu
02-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Here is another one of my dumb questions but I can't get it off my mind:

Why do all the tv stations continue to air this garbage? Is it all about money to them too? I would think that some of them have enough concern for their viewers that they would refuse to air these ads.

I am guessing it's a much bigger picture than I'm seeing or know about. I hate to think of all the unsuspecting innocent people that have been scammed by this.:(

I remember trying to sell a $600 gold necklace years ago. I took it to 2 jewelry stores and got the same answer from both. They weren't willing to give me anything for it. They also told me I would never get anything close to what I paid for it from anybody. Their words: once it leaves the jeweler, it's value drops to almost nothing.
I think I still have it.

Yup - the almighty dollar rules!

I had a similar case about selling, but mine was a ring. I had a written appraisal on it of $2500. I was offered $50 for it. Needless to say I still have it, and I'm glad now that I didn't sell it!

jennielynn1970
02-07-2009, 07:33 PM
About insuring packages....

Back in November I sent in a cell phone to AT&T because it wasn't working properly. I printed out the label they emailed me and packaged up the cell phone back in the box it came in.

30 days later, no word about the phone. After another 15 days goes past, and I've made about 10 phone calls that were about 8hrs in length total, I got reprimanded because I didn't send the package priority with my own insurance. They said I shouldn't have used the label that I was emailed by their customer service representative.

They never said they received the phone. They did say that they were refunding my credit card for the amount of the phone, but that it would take up to 2 billing cycles for it to appear on my credit card statement. It's been 45 days, and there's still nothing.

I have gotten to the point where I have total lack of trust for companies and what they tell you to do. They don't stand by their words.

Don't even get me started about PayPal... :mad: they're just as bad. Don't expect them to back up anything that you bought, they'll find every way to get out of the responsibility, and say that they are not a financial institution. If so, then why do they say they back up your purchases on their site?? Ugh. So frustrating.

IRescue452
02-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks for backing up my refusal to use paypal, even though its becoming more and more of a requirement with ebay. I won't even use any credit cards besides prepaid.

kitten645
02-07-2009, 09:17 PM
"Why do all the tv stations continue to air this garbage? Is it all about money to them too? I would think that some of them have enough concern for their viewers that they would refuse to air these ads."

For the same reason a doctor implants 8 embryo's in a woman that's got six kids! Chaaaaching!!

The thing that kills me about the gold thing is that it's preying on the most desperate of people..no to say this is the case with you Pomtzu..;)
But I bet MOST people that resort to this are selling truly valuable and sentimental things because they have no choice. Talk about bottom feeders! These people are taking advantage of scared people. Same as those check cashing/early tax refund places that get a huge percent of what they cash. It's really disgraceful. :mad:
I just keep saying, this too shall pass and hopefully we can look back in the NEAR future and say...remember back in 09 when people where selling gold in the mail?? :eek:

I'm glad yours is one of the good (so so) stories.:p
Claudia

Marigold2
02-07-2009, 10:42 PM
As to the question why TV stations allow this to air.
Same reason they air aids for weight lose drugs that are unsafe.
Informucials that make some people laugh because they are such super scams will have thousands of other people buying the product.
There is a sucker born every second. If it can make us thin, rich, younger longer, sexier we will buy it, waste our money and our time.
Preachers of all different faiths do the same.
Put your hand on the TV feel, I say Feel the Lords power coming at you through the screen. Now folks we need ya help, we need you to continue to help us so that we, we can help other God fearing people. Send us the money, we need the money.
This kind of crap used to make me laugh all the time. Now it just makes me mad.
Just like that preacher on TV who claims to put his hand on people and heal them. What a scam artist. Hey if you can truly heal people then why are you on TV asking for money. Why aren't you in the hospital on the children's cancer floor, the burn unit, the ICU helping those people. I have Yet to see any of these scamers go into a hospital and help a single soul.

pomtzu
02-08-2009, 06:15 AM
The thing that kills me about the gold thing is that it's preying on the most desperate of people..no to say this is the case with you Pomtzu..;)
But I bet MOST people that resort to this are selling truly valuable and sentimental things because they have no choice.

Nope - I'm not desperate - yet anyway!! :D Nothing I sent was in good condition - mostly broken bracelets and chains not worth fixing. Then there was my designer hoop earrings that one of the dogs re-designed for me. I unknowingly dropped one of them on the floor, and it got chewed into an unrecognizable mass! :eek:

Medusa
02-08-2009, 06:23 AM
Nope - I'm not desperate - yet anyway!! :D Nothing I sent was in good condition - mostly broken bracelets and chains not worth fixing. Then there was my designer hoop earrings that one of the dogs re-designed for me. I unknowingly dropped one of them on the floor, and it got chewed into an unrecognizable mass! :eek:

You have a chewer, too, huh? My Creamsicle got ahold of one of my earrings and chewed it until it looked like crumpled tin foil. I'm just glad she didn't swallow it. :rolleyes:

pomtzu
02-08-2009, 07:09 AM
You have a chewer, too, huh? My Creamsicle got ahold of one of my earrings and chewed it until it looked like crumpled tin foil. I'm just glad she didn't swallow it. :rolleyes:

Sparky says if it hits the floor - he owns it - and can do whatever he wants with it! Little brat!:p

shepgirl
02-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Am I glad you shared this info on here. I had been looking at those ads for a while wondering what to do. I have tons of gold stuff left to me by my granny and my mom. I never wear it and my daughter won't wear it so we thought this might be a good thing. Reason I still have it was I got sentimental. I kept looking at it and couldn't seem to make up my mind. Now I know I'll be keeping it and I guess my daughter will get it and maybe the grandaughters. Might all be coming back in style some day, some pieces have already but I still don't wear it. I don't even bother with my own stuff anymore.

pomtzu
02-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Am I glad you shared this info on here. I had been looking at those ads for a while wondering what to do. I have tons of gold stuff left to me by my granny and my mom. I never wear it and my daughter won't wear it so we thought this might be a good thing. Reason I still have it was I got sentimental. I kept looking at it and couldn't seem to make up my mind. Now I know I'll be keeping it and I guess my daughter will get it and maybe the grandaughters. Might all be coming back in style some day, some pieces have already but I still don't wear it. I don't even bother with my own stuff anymore.

I would never get rid of anything like that. Ya' never know - it might be museum material some day. Definitely keep it!
What I got rid of was broken and mismatched pieces - just junk gold sitting around taking up space. I would never sell family pieces, even tho they're old and out of style and never get worn, they will more than likely be quite valuable one day! :)

shepgirl
02-09-2009, 01:36 PM
I think you're right Pomtzu and that's probably why I got sentimental as I looked through everything. I could remember most of the occasions where each piece had been worn by my gran and my mom. For some reason they had a lot, I'm not really the jewellry type. Have some gold chains, pearls earings and pendants but that just about covers it. I rarely wear any except the rings, and sometimes the chains. I gave my daughter a beautiful heirloom heart shaped locket that they just don't make like that anymore and she loves it and always has it on. Might as well leave the family stuff in the family, who knows....