PDA

View Full Version : WHO or WHAT inspired you to join PT?

MoonandBean
02-06-2009, 08:47 AM
I thought this would be a fun...down memory lane....thread. Before I joined, I would always look at the DOTD and then I would read all the posts. I was always so touched by tatsxxx11 posts that it inspired me to join just so I could send her a message telling her how special I thought her posts were. The other thing I remember early on was how much time EmeraldGreen always took to help other PTers with a problem. Remember the "kittens free to good homes" post? Her response post must have listed 50 resources for the original poster to use to help with her spay/nueter problem. I remember being so amazed that EmeraldGreen did that research for a person in PA being that EmeraldGreen lived in British Columbia :D. That certainly wasn't the last time I've seen her put forth that kind of effort to help others. I remember Freedom being the first to frost me :) and Catmandu making me google what on earth THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS were! :love:

Lucky for me, all of these characters have become wonderful friends through this PT family and I feel very blessed to have you all in my life :love:

pomtzu
02-06-2009, 09:05 AM
I just stumbled upon the site, and first joined only to comment occasionally on the dog, cat or pet featured daily. It was last winter when I was housebound after fracturing my hip and suffering from boredom, that I joined in on some of the threads. It was all uphill from there............ :D

CountryWolf07
02-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Amy (WolfQU2) wanted me to join.. :)

Randi
02-06-2009, 09:37 AM
I was browsing for cat info and came across COTD. :) For a long time, I looked at COTD and then I noticed PT!! I read posts for three days and saw one I wanted to reply to, it was a Cat Rescue post, so I joined - and have no regrets! :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-06-2009, 09:54 AM
I saw a link on my nephew's pc, a link to DOTD !
The rest is history :)

Laura's Babies
02-06-2009, 09:58 AM
I don't remember how or why I found it, I think it was beacuse I was looking for a cat forum and stumbled across PT. I lurked for a year or two, wanted to be sure I would fit in and feel comfortable here. I especially loved the pictures everyone posted of their babies.. I joined and that is all she wrote, here I am still! I it right in, this is HOME!

joycenalex
02-06-2009, 11:17 AM
i was researching dog stuff for alex, found the site, started reading about cinder wanting to keep the stray she found, and well the rest is history....

MoonandBean
02-06-2009, 11:47 AM
i was researching dog stuff for alex, found the site, started reading about cinder wanting to keep the stray she found, and well the rest is history....

Isn't it funny what we remember?

kuhio98
02-06-2009, 11:48 AM
I was searching for a pet grief board trying to get the word out about how we lost Kuhio and the importance of microchipping.

I found and posted her story on many, many sites. PT'ers were so welcoming that I joined and stayed and I'm very glad I did! :D

Suki Wingy
02-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Google image search kept bringing up pics with DOTD on them and I finally decided to take a look. I didn't join for a few weeks, but there was one particularly cute dog I wanted to comment on so I joined.

pitc9
02-06-2009, 12:10 PM
A friend of mine sent me a link on day when there was a handsome GSD as the DOTD and I set the page to my favs and visited it everyday for a few weeks before joining or even lurking thru posts. Once I started lurking I found threads about the gatherings at the Park in Findlay, OH and I knew I had to join!

The funny thing, the friend that sent me the link never joined! :D

Pinot's Mom
02-06-2009, 12:19 PM
I posted this on another thread, but...
A fellow choir member told me about COTD; she doesn't go anywhere else on the site. I read for a while, liked what I read and joined. I've been hooked only since last fall, so I'm still a newbie, but everyone's been very welcoming!:)

Maggie

IRescue452
02-06-2009, 12:29 PM
I had looked at the DOTD site quite a bit and then I noticed a forum. I think some of my first posts were about Orangutango's Tango. Who knew I'd find a forum with people who knew what Toller's were?

Trinityagain
02-06-2009, 12:29 PM
I think I was just looking for cat info and landed here...I tell anyone who asks me about a problem or issue with their cat(s) to come in and post a question and they will get more info than they knew existed. And PTers understand, they aren't just my cats, they are my KIDS!

PT Rocks!

KYS
02-06-2009, 02:15 PM
I might be wrong and Karen can correct me....
I think I found the original web site through either the magazine or a link from a dog magazine like Dog World or Dog fancy?

Alysser
02-06-2009, 03:21 PM
I have no idea honestly, I think I was looking up dog things on google and found the link lol. This was when I was 12, I waited till I was 13 to join but I lurked on occasions. I joined the day after my 13th birthday. I became addicted fast.

Sonia59
02-06-2009, 04:28 PM
I was looking for cat info and sites where a cat was selected everyday, like COTD, I think I googled for "cat of the day", but I don't remember exactly. I found COTD, I applied for Peppito. A few weeks later he was selected, then I discovered PT by browsing a bit further. The main thing I remember is that I found people were really crazy with their pets, especially Gary's posts were funny for me :D The hardest thing was to understand what everyone was talking about. When you are not used to the members and pets names, it's really chinese! :D For some time, may be a few weeks, I did not dare joigning PT because it seemed to me that everyone knew each other, and also because there did not seem to be any French :)

Daisy and Delilah
02-06-2009, 05:38 PM
My Daughter told me about it. She wanted to know if I knew about it. I was just learning about computers then and I couldn't get over how great it was to have a place you could go to to see special pets featured every day.

I was a lurker for a long time because I really didn't know how to join.:) I finally joined and haven't left since then.:D

I think it's funny that she never joined but she still looks at the special pets every day.

Zippy
02-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Well I was looking for a picture of a slinder-billed conure and came across POTD and after a while joined PT.

lute
02-06-2009, 06:02 PM
I had been looking at DOTD for about a year or so when I found the forum. I've been on here since I was 14. I'm 20 now. I had another user name before lute. Wow! I had no idea I had been on here so long!

Taz_Zoee
02-06-2009, 09:02 PM
I googled a question about something that was going on with Zoee (I can't remember exactly what it was now) and Pet Talk came up. I began to read the different threads and was scared to join. I finally joined but didn't post too much at first. Then once I started posting, it was over. Now you can't shut me up. :D
This is the first (and only) forum I've ever been a part of. :) Honestly, I don't know what I'd do without it.
In fact, yesterday and today I was at a seminar for work and was going through PT withdrawals. Usually at work I jump on SEVERAL times during the day.

luvofallhorses
02-06-2009, 09:26 PM
I think I found this site on google and just joined. :)

carole
02-06-2009, 09:29 PM
I was surfing the net and came across it quite by accident, i think i was looking at pet related subjects, well it is a day i have never regretted, been here four years this year, i can hardly believe it myself.:)

K9karen
02-06-2009, 09:34 PM
That's easy! My desk was covered with Cody pictures and in June 2001, a fellow worker, who sat behind me, tapped me on the back and showed me a DOTD picture. He hooked me up with the website and that was it.

It's a small world. Pam saw my city and immediately PM'd me that she had lived close to me when she was first married and asked me about some landmarks. We began emailing every day. That led to Logan, Sandra (tatsxxx), Rachel and Jackie, through one personal PM, and now we talk or email almost every day. I've met Pam a few times, as well as her lovely family and also Logan and her hubby, Scott. Also I've met Joyce for lunch. I know Logan has met many more people than me, but my goal is to one, day, meet a lot most PTers. I am still in contact with many of the "old" crew, some of whom do not post much anymore. PT really allowed me to make some very lovely, personal, long term relationships!

buckner
02-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Cori (molucass) told me about PT years and years ago. At the time, we both belonged to a rat forum (not sure if it was ratpalace or ratfanclub/ratsrule) but somehow, we managed to talk a lot on AIM. She introduced me to this place, I immediately joined, and have loved it ever since. :)

Twisterdog
02-06-2009, 09:46 PM
There used to be a message board and chat room called "Acme Pet" that a lot of pet people posted and chatted on. We were all very attached to our cyber-home! Then, one day, it was closed, just gone. :(

We were a group of lost souls, searching the internet for a new home and each other. Some of us - myself, Glacier and Shelteez I know right offhand, I'm sure there are others - ended up here. We are the AcmePet Refugees.

Karen
02-06-2009, 10:03 PM
We were a group of lost souls, searching the internet for a new home and each other. Some of us - myself, Glacier and Shelteez I know right offhand, I'm sure there are others - ended up here. We are the AcmePet Refugees.

Well, we are glad you found us - consider yourself full-fledged citizens, refugees no longer! :)

Albino
02-06-2009, 10:07 PM
I just sort of stumbled upon it, and had some questions to ask about my dog's behavior to see if anyone could help explain it. And since, I've just decided to lurk, posting at whatever peaks my interest.

columbine
02-06-2009, 10:19 PM
A co-worker who reads PotD regularly told me about it, and suggested that I submit Smudge for CotD. After that, the Cuteness Waves emanating from the screen magnetized me in!

Love, Columbine

davidpizzica
02-07-2009, 06:15 AM
After I adopted Nikki (I still miss her!) I started to Google for cat sites. I stumbled onto PT this way. I believed I lurked awhile then I joined in Feb. of 2004. I love PT and everyone here is special. Also if it wasn't for PT I wouldn't have met who I consider my girlfriend, Moosmom! We still gab on the phone almost every day.

RICHARD
02-07-2009, 01:54 PM
MY RBGF had the Edster and she was not able to keep him around because of her chemo and the litter issues.

MAtter of fact he came to live with me in January of 2002!!:eek: (have to post a GOTCHA thread!)

I Lost my GF and went looking for a site to help me get some ? answered about cats.

One of my first posts was about Temptations cat treats and how owners should watch out for them-Someone suggested that they were Kitty Crack.
That's how badly cats wanted them.

A few posts later I had to tell everyone that I walked into the room and thought that he was dead. I couldn't tell which side of him was the front and thought he had a broken neck-turned out it was his arse end I was looking at!
:eek::rolleyes:

Ever since then it's the only site that I visit RELIGIOUSLY and find other pet sites to be rather pedestrian, boring and have none of the charm that this site and it's members have!

-Remember, I called you all CHARMING!

IT's been a great ride and hope it goes on forever.

I love you all!:love::D

MoonandBean
02-09-2009, 09:50 AM
MY RBGF had the Edster and she was not able to keep him around because of her chemo and the litter issues.

MAtter of fact he came to live with me in January of 2002!!:eek: (have to post a GOTCHA thread!)

I Lost my GF and went looking for a site to help me get some ? answered about cats.

One of my first posts was about Temptations cat treats and how owners should watch out for them-Someone suggested that they were Kitty Crack.
That's how badly cats wanted them.

A few posts later I had to tell everyone that I walked into the room and thought that he was dead. I couldn't tell which side of him was the front and thought he had a broken neck-turned out it was his arse end I was looking at!
:eek::rolleyes:

Ever since then it's the only site that I visit RELIGIOUSLY and find other pet sites to be rather pedestrian, boring and have none of the charm that this site and it's members have!

-Remember, I called you all CHARMING!

IT's been a great ride and hope it goes on forever.

I love you all!:love::D

I have to go try to find that thread about tempations...I think Moon might be an addict :)

krazyaboutkatz
02-09-2009, 11:08 AM
I had joined a small cat forum through yahoo but didn't really like it. They had some other links on there and I saw COTD listed so I took a look at it. I then clicked on the pet talk link and went to cat health. I had a question to ask about my RB Pepper so I joined the same day. I think that Sandra was the first one to welcome me aboard and I've been hooked ever since.:)

Barbara
02-09-2009, 04:33 PM
I bought a book that was about interesting websites. And there was a pet section that recommended COTD/DOTD. Then for quite some time I watched COTD on a daily basis. And then I sent in a picture of Filou. And Filou became COTD.
I saw all the answers in his thread in the Pet talk section and I was so excited. So I decided I will come back to other kitties too as I loved it so much. The rest is history.
My oldest PT friend is Sasvermont who posted in Filou's thread:love:

beeniesmom
02-09-2009, 07:46 PM
I was searching for information on Boston terriers and came upon the site. So happy I did. Don't know what I'd do without you guys!

slick
02-09-2009, 08:41 PM
I was browsing a Rescue site who had a link to POTD. For months I only looked at the COTD, DOTD, and POTD until one day I saw the link to Pet Talk. I lurked there for about a month.

December 2002 was the day I joined. At that time my RB Speckles showed signs of diabetes (or so I thought) and I posted for some information.

Even though I don't have much time for PT anymore, I thank God for it every day. PT has brought me a wealth of information; it's a place where we can all share a few laughs and a few drinks in the cyber bar. Moreover, PT has brought me friendship that I've never known before. I've never truly loved a female friend until now. I'm so blessed. :love:

boomersooner
02-09-2009, 09:15 PM
My sister told me about it. Her husky, Maverick, was a dog of the day. She talked me into sending Cassie and Boomer's pictures in. I started reading and responding pretty faithfully after Boomer got Dog of the Day. Lots of nice people on board!!

Cataholic
02-10-2009, 12:46 PM
I don't remember why I joined. Is there a way to search for posts older than one year?

lvpets2002
02-10-2009, 12:56 PM
:) I joined so I could talk about my babies & other's peoples babies.. I love to see all the pictures of all babies.. I like reading all the different subjects & meeting all the new friends.. Oh yes my babies love exchanging gifts with their boy & girl friends.. Oh yes I love PT Christmas Card && Gift Swaping.. Well that just about covers it.. :love:

GILL
02-10-2009, 01:36 PM
I ran into it from a rescue site, when I saw a picture of Bailey. Thanks Moosmom. She is the one that posted Bailey. I have really got too stay away from Donna as it seems that every time I talk to her the CREW grows. So Thanks Donna for Bailey, Lenny, Bart, ET, Dimetri, And Precious. Lenny our Deaf baby was at the same shelter as Bailey. So that kind of stated the whole rescue and transport thing.
So thank you Moosmom we have met and talked with a lot of really great and funny people.
By the way you missed out on Precious, she is a cuddle bug lap cat.

Catty1
02-10-2009, 01:45 PM
My Mom had had her iMac set up and running, and she wanted her home page changed.

I looked for 'daily cats' or something...and found a COTD page, a tiny kitten who was deceased. We both read her story and just awww'd - it really touched us.

So I found the main COTD site and made that her homepage. This was in 2003 or something. She looks at the cats, but not the forum. I poked my nose into the forum about a year later.

And stayed stuck like Crazy Glue! :D

joycenalex
02-10-2009, 02:11 PM
I don't remember why I joined. Is there a way to search for posts older than one year?
if you click on your name, then statistics tab you can see your join date 9/4/2002. pre jonah days...hmmm

Cataholic
02-10-2009, 02:33 PM
if you click on your name, then statistics tab you can see your join date 9/4/2002. pre jonah days...hmmm

Those were the days, eh? I can't find my first post, which might explain WHY I joined. I found posts close to it, one was 9/17/02, I think...but, I seemed to already 'know' people by then. That is odd, since I would have been a member for only 2 weeks.

M&M's Mommy
02-10-2009, 03:02 PM
I stumbled upon the site when researching about the best type of dog food for Mocha & Missy :)